Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pop Idol - no one I can really remember (and briefly Darius and Gareth)
Pop Idol 2 - no one
Popstars, Popstars the Rivals - Girls Aloud, Liberty X, Hear'Say (again, briefly and the girls/Kevin Lib X still pretty famous)
XFactor - Little Mix, 1D and Leona obvs. Shayne, JLS, Alexandra Burke, Olly Murs, Stacey Soloman, Rylan are all still kicking about whether its music, TV, theatre, acting etc...

Bloody good investigative work there @Pinkii , I'm impressed!
Javine from Popstars the Rivals had a few minor hits and represented UK at Eurovision. She was later embroiled in a cheating scandal with MC Harvey while he was married to Alesha Dixon. She had a baby with him and they later split. Haven't seen her in years.

Pop Idol 1 - Jessica Garlick represented the UK at Eurovision 2002 with Come Back and did quite well, good song.

Does anyone remember Emmie who had a hit with a cover of More Than This by Roxy Music. Made number 5 so not strictly a flop, but the follow up bombed. I didn't like her version, but I'm a big fan of Roxy Music so probably biased

Reactions: 1
Its a shame that Pop Idol only had two series in the U.K when it ran for years as American Idol and produced the likes of Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Jenifer Hudson, Adam Lambert etc. Always thought it was a much better format than the X Factor but not as easy to manipulate though I suppose.

Reactions: 9
Its a shame that Pop Idol only had two series in the U.K when it ran for years as American Idol and produced the likes of Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Jenifer Hudson, Adam Lambert etc. Always thought it was a much better format than the X Factor but not as easy to manipulate though I suppose.
Simon Fuller was planning to sue Simon Cowell over ripping off Pop Idol with X-Factor. They came to an agreement that he wouldn't sue if Cowell signed an agreement that he would be a judge on American Idol a decade and in that time he make no attempt to launch his own talent show there.

Reactions: 8
Not realated to music but anyone remember the flop show Soapstars!? 🤣 they auditioned to be on emmerdale.

wonder if any of them are still acting.

i remember hollyoaks did a similar one but they were actually good

Reactions: 6
Not realated to music but anyone remember the flop show Soapstars!? 🤣 they auditioned to be on emmerdale.

Yes I remember that programme and family! They didn't last long in Emmerdale. I can't recall were they actually professional actors already?

It was an interesting concept (reality show for budding tv actors) that I don't think has ever been repeated.

Re flop acts...Will Mellor from Hollyoaks had a few songs, didn't really make any impact though.

I enjoyed Pop Idol too, series 2 was poor but I still believe series 3 could have turned it around if commissioned

Anyone remember these boys, the Carter Twins? Their biggest UK hit made number 61. They were moderately more successful in Ireland and attempted to enter the Eurovision one year (but they still didn't last long)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I wonder if some of these flop acts have decided to quit chart music and pursue another career , rather than just not being successful.

Darius has leading roles in musicals , sure he was in Chicago .

Some singers may prefer being in musicals if the live performances aspect is what appeals to them .

Blonde bloke in a phone box. Red T shirt. Very repetitive song. "I want to be with you, be with you, be with you". Maybe a German popstar. Either way, I fancied him. 🥴 Any ideas? Could be wrong about the T shirt colour.

Javine from Popstars the Rivals had a few minor hits and represented UK at Eurovision. She was later embroiled in a cheating scandal with MC Harvey while he was married to Alesha Dixon. She had a baby with him and they later split. Haven't seen her in years.

Pop Idol 1 - Jessica Garlick represented the UK at Eurovision 2002 with Come Back and did quite well, good song.

Does anyone remember Emmie who had a hit with a cover of More Than This by Roxy Music. Made number 5 so not strictly a flop, but the follow up bombed. I didn't like her version, but I'm a big fan of Roxy Music so probably biased
Yes I remember Emmie! Does anyone remember the video to I thought it was you? Loved that video and song , taped it from The box , and watched it loads lol.

There was a manufacturered girl group / comedy TV show on channel 5 called Sister Said back in the early 90s, like a really crap S Club 7.

Speaking of soaps does anyone remember Soapstar Superstar?

There was a manufacturered girl group / comedy TV show on channel 5 called Sister Said back in the early 90s, like a really crap S Club 7.
If you’re talking about the UK Channel 5 then that station didn’t launch until 1997 so it can’t have been the early 90s unless you meant a different channel or a different era

For those who were asking about Little Boots - she's just announced her fourth album!

Reactions: 4
Not sure if they've been mentioned already, but Smoke 2 Seven was another flop girl band of the early 00s. Awful band name!

Warren Stacey from Popstars (the Hear'Say series), single flopped

I loved that Smoke 2 Seven song (and Envy) - didn’t one of them end up engaged to Abs from 5ive and lived on a farm with him?

Reactions: 2
That Warren Stacey track is so meh. 😬

Speaking of soaps does anyone remember Soapstar Superstar?
Haha they really do feed us some crap on a Saturday night don't they? I am, however nostalgic for this quality of crap. Got my rose colored glasses on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2

Yes I remember that programme and family! They didn't last long in Emmerdale. I can't recall were they actually professional actors already?

It was an interesting concept (reality show for budding tv actors) that I don't think has ever been repeated....
I remember that one of the redtop papers ran a story saying that the regular Emmerdale cast complained like crazy about jobs going to amateurs and non-union 'actors'. I think the guy who played Zac Dingle was mentioned as refusing to speak to any of them off set. I guess that's why the concept was quietly dropped and never repeated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6