First Love

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When and how did you meet your first love? Did it last? Would you still be attracted to them today if they came back into your life?

Reactions: 1
I was commenting on a thread, and the z-lister on that thread seems to have never recovered from losing her first love. It made me curious to know other people's stories and to share my own:

I was 14 and very naive when I met my first love. We naturally started spending more and more time together and before we realised it we were together all the time (except when we had to go home, because I wasn't allowed dating until I was 16).

I felt very lucky to have him and acted that way (making for many cringe moments later on in life). I was a clumsy nerd with pimples, glasses and braces (how stereotypical). He was tall, handsome, two years older, and a bit of a rebel.

He dumped me after about a year, for a very beautiful, tall, rebel- like himself. ...He never actually dumped me. There was no break up. There were no words exchanged. I just happened to walk in on him kissing said girl and stared in disbelief before running away. I thought he would run after me and we could talk it out but he never spoke to me again. He completely ghosted me, even when we bumped into each other in person (which happens often in an area where everyone knows everyone) he would walk right by like I was invisible.

Thankfully, it didn't break me, although it felt that way at the time. He left town about a year after the "break up", and that's the fresh start I needed to get over him, and to pick up my self-esteem. Not having to worry about bumping into him, or seeing him with his girlfriend put him out of my mind for good (until this thread!) I have no idea what ever became of him, or where he is now.

If I could tell my 14-year-old self something, I'd tell her you deserve so much more! I think she knew it because I never dated guys like that again. I've been lucky to have seen the signs early enough, since then, to not waste any time on what wasn't a mutually respectful relationship.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I was 15 when I met him and around 21 when we both ended. We were on and off for all those years. Typically very happy when things were good but it would be awful when we were bad. I think we were very toxic for each other. I was young and stupid, with a lot of issues I should have dealt with on my own. We have both gone on to separate partners now and I have my first child. I dont think either of us would go back but I wish him all the happiness

I was 14, we were together till we were around 17. He lives in another country now so no chance of bumping into him. Not sure I would want to speak to him. I don’t think you ever get over your first love, if only I could go back in time 😬

Reactions: 2
I don’t know if this is rare but I know I’m extremely lucky. I met my first love at 16. We married when I was 21 and are still together 20 years later with 4 kids.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I would say my first love is my current boyfriend.
I don't think I was ever in love with my ex - I was weak and felt trapped by him, so for years pretended to be happy to the 'outside world' when i was hiding abuse.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I met mine when I was 18 but a naive 18. He was my first boyfriend. Looking back I wasn't that fussed about him at first, it was all my friends talking about him that made me go out with him, I couldn't believe he wanted me. They all wanted him, even my best friend said to me if she could ever get him she would. She married his brother which didn't end well. We married and it lasted longer than it should really and it was me who asked him to leave. By this time he was openly seeing someone. I only got divorced years later when I heard that he was saying he couldn't marry the woman he was with as I would never give him a divorce. Well I did, I did it myself for £50 odd quid and weeks later he had to marry the other one. I saw them once at an airport. Our eyes met, then I looked at the current wife. She was loud, busting out of her too tight clothing, berating the children and making a right show of herself. I smiled in recognition and walked away. He looked a defeated man and nothing like used to.

Reactions: 15
Me and my first love got together when we were 14. We're both 27 now, have 2 children and getting married next year! 💘

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I wouldn’t really call my first boyfriend my first love. He was a nice kid but honsetly for both of us it felt more like a relationship of convenience :LOL: we were both 17, in this big friendship group of several couples and neither of us had been with anyone so it sort of just happened and we stayed together a year before going to uni... said we’d make it work long distance and it lasted a week:sneaky:.

There’s only been one relationship I’ve had (other than my current boyfriend) that I’ve truly been in love. We were only together a few months (!) but it took me YEARS to get over this guy. I used to wonder what I’d say if I ever saw him again (I never did) and dream about him realising his mistake and getting back in contact with me (lol). I think if he hadn’t dumped me we would have ended up together long term. Weirdly if it hadn’t been for this guy I wouldn’t have been living where I was when I met my current boyfriend so everything happens for a reason I guess!

We met at school and sort of drifted apart afterwards as we didn't go to the same university and just sort of lost touch.
If we bumped into each other we'd always stop and chat, there was never any bad feeling between us or anything like that.

We're both married to other people now and I hadn't seen him in I'd say close on 10 years, but last year I bumped into him one day and we sat talking for over an hour.
It was surreal, like I'd gone back in time.

I think he really was my first 'love', as in I did love him at the time.
I think part of me always will.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Still with mine. Met at 17.
Love him more each day even though he does my head in.

People always ask me if I feel like I missed out on playing the field etc but I don't. I feel incredibly lucky.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Met mine at 17, it was toxic but also passionate, I learnt so many life lessons from that relationship. I have never felt heartbreak like it when it ended and I really feel to this day (almost 15 years later) that it has stopped me meeting someone else. I still compare to him. Would I take him back? No. We knew how to push each other’s buttons and it was all too negative. I think I’ll love him forever, I think you love all true loves forever. He’s happy now with someone else, and I’m not jealous, I’m actually very happy for him. He still texts me on all the big occasions - my 30th, graduations (I don’t know how he knows) etc. I prefer not to get the text tbh. Sorry for labouring on! Nothing like your first love :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I was 16, he was 17 we met at college. 16 years later we’re still together and have been married 7 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I met mine when I was 19 and I was head over heels for this guy. I casual dated before him but I think he was my first true love. It only lasted a few months and I was heartbroken afterwards. We are friends on Facebook and he is married and has kids. I often wondered if I would take him back. Probably not, just because we both have too much baggage now. I am married and have my own kids to look after. But I will forever love him and wish him nothing but the best (even though deep down I think his wife is super ugly...lol).

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I dated but didn’t meet my first love till I was 23. We lasted a year it was all kinds of crazy intense and fast.
I’m 30 now and I got back together with him last year. We do long distance now and it’s bloody hard. But amazing.

• Heart
This thread reminds me of the book Judy Blooms forever .

I don't believe I have had a first love . I had a few short term car crash relationships before i met my other half.

Still with mine. Met at 17.
Love him more each day even though he does my head in.

People always ask me if I feel like I missed out on playing the field etc but I don't. I feel incredibly lucky.
Playing the field is boring- aren’t we all trying to find what you have? Someone we love more each day.
I’ve never been in love and at 29 I doubt I ever will. I like the idea of it though.

Reactions: 7
Playing the field is boring- aren’t we all trying to find what you have? Someone we love more each day.
I’ve never been in love and at 29 I doubt I ever will. I like the idea of it though.
You NEVER know what tomorrow may bring :) xx

Reactions: 6
I was 16.. Lasted until 28. He still wants me to give it another go at 30 but I grew up and lost any feelings for him.

Reactions: 5
I call the boy I met at 14 my "first love" because it felt that way at the time. But really the man I married has been my only true love. I'm lucky to have met him when I was older, more experienced, and more sure of myself.

I hope it happens for you 🤞🏾

• Heart