Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
I don’t know if this is rare but I know I’m extremely lucky. I met my first love at 16. We married when I was 21 and are still together 20 years later with 4 kids.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

Lottiehx

Me and my first love got together when we were 14. We're both 27 now, have 2 children and getting married next year! 💘

• Heart
Reactions: 20

SamBamford

I met mine when I was 18 but a naive 18. He was my first boyfriend. Looking back I wasn't that fussed about him at first, it was all my friends talking about him that made me go out with him, I couldn't believe he wanted me. They all wanted him, even my best friend said to me if she could ever get him she would. She married his brother which didn't end well. We married and it lasted longer than it should really and it was me who asked him to leave. By this time he was openly seeing someone. I only got divorced years later when I heard that he was saying he couldn't marry the woman he was with as I would never give him a divorce. Well I did, I did it myself for £50 odd quid and weeks later he had to marry the other one. I saw them once at an airport. Our eyes met, then I looked at the current wife. She was loud, busting out of her too tight clothing, berating the children and making a right show of herself. I smiled in recognition and walked away. He looked a defeated man and nothing like used to.

Reactions: 15

Reverend

VIP Member
Sorry, this is a long one.....................

She was a danish au pair and we got together when we were 18. We met in the same brass band, and we became a couple within 2 months. I really, really loved her, and we lost our virginity to each other. I went over to meet her friends and family in Denmark. We had a lovely 18 months or so together.

In the end, she got in with a bad crowd of other au pairs. They didn't like me (I was suspicious of them, particularly one of them who was german. She was supposedly a christian, but I have a nasty idea that that her constant changes of jobs and going back and forward to germany was a cover for drugs and other smuggling). This group took her to some of these clubs and pubs were they basically would set her up with other men (I was either working or teaching). This happened 4 times ( that I know of), and she chucked me for one of these guys. I begged and cried for her to take me back, but she wouldn't. She would bring him along to concerts that we doing together, and it hurt, hurt, so much. I would see them cuddling, and leaving together. In the end, I had to leave that band, I had no other choice.

Now the rest of the story, she has told me, so I have only one side of it..............................

Sadly, it didn't work out well for her. This guy dumped her after a couple of years (they did get engaged, but only lived together for 6 months, which is odd, and I think the novelty value of a Scandinavian girlfriend wore thin, particularly having to go to Denmark every year..... She then got together with a guy she met in the pub, whom was desperate to be a dad (he was 40, and she 28). They were together for 6 months, and he begged her for her to become pregnant and have her kid. She agreed (possibly body clock) and she became pregnant, but.....he then decided he actually didn't want to be a dad and met up with one of his ex's and told my ex that he was going back to her. She was so angry, she dumped all the stuff that his parents had bought for the baby on their drive (she was 6 months gone!).

She had to go back to Denmark and had the baby. She contacts the grandparents (she can't contact the father), and lets them know that she has had the baby, they reply 'We are not interested' and put the phone down on her. A year or so, later she met another guy, whom was happy to have a ready made family, and she became pregnant, but sadly same story again. Now she has 2 kids, no fathers about.

She meets another guy, and get engaged. They had 3 more kids (I know, I know!). He stays this time, but about 4 years ago, he starts drinking heavily and becoming violent. It ends up one night with him grabbing my ex and her eldest daughter by the throat (he's a big guy). She manages to get the kids out, and they are hiding in a cornfield away from him, but manage to get a friends house. He has made several threats since, and it's gone legal.....

Anyway, 18 months or so, I have a friend request from her. I'm a nosy sod (I've been in a relationship with a great lady for the last 12 years btw), and we start talking, and she tells me the above. She wants her eldest daughter to talk to me, because she wants her daughter to know just one decent man that she has met in her life. Just one. Just one that never lied, beat her up, cheated on her, deserted her........

I was stunned, but the girl is delightful. She regularly asks me for advice, and lets off steam about everyone (sisters, mum, school!!!). She (the daughter) asked me to go to her 'Coming of Age' ceremony that they have in Denmark when they are 14. I went (My gf hates travelling, and she knows I'm not a cheat, so was happy for me to go). My ex told me that she wishes that she hadn't done what she had done, and wished that she were still together, and that I had been the father of her kids. I gently told her that we all make our path, and that I don't believe in going back, but that I would always be her friend.....

Hey, after all. I ended up with someone amazing, so I'm a lucky person........

Sorry, if i bored you.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

Mememememe

Still with mine. Met at 17.
Love him more each day even though he does my head in.

People always ask me if I feel like I missed out on playing the field etc but I don't. I feel incredibly lucky.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Curlywurly85

I was 16, he was 17 we met at college. 16 years later we’re still together and have been married 7 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Sparks

Chatty Member
I met mine when I was 19 and I was head over heels for this guy. I casual dated before him but I think he was my first true love. It only lasted a few months and I was heartbroken afterwards. We are friends on Facebook and he is married and has kids. I often wondered if I would take him back. Probably not, just because we both have too much baggage now. I am married and have my own kids to look after. But I will forever love him and wish him nothing but the best (even though deep down I think his wife is super ugly...lol).

• Haha
Reactions: 11

CarrieW24

Chatty Member
I was commenting on a thread, and the z-lister on that thread seems to have never recovered from losing her first love. It made me curious to know other people's stories and to share my own:

I was 14 and very naive when I met my first love. We naturally started spending more and more time together and before we realised it we were together all the time (except when we had to go home, because I wasn't allowed dating until I was 16).

I felt very lucky to have him and acted that way (making for many cringe moments later on in life). I was a clumsy nerd with pimples, glasses and braces (how stereotypical). He was tall, handsome, two years older, and a bit of a rebel.

He dumped me after about a year, for a very beautiful, tall, rebel- like himself. ...He never actually dumped me. There was no break up. There were no words exchanged. I just happened to walk in on him kissing said girl and stared in disbelief before running away. I thought he would run after me and we could talk it out but he never spoke to me again. He completely ghosted me, even when we bumped into each other in person (which happens often in an area where everyone knows everyone) he would walk right by like I was invisible.

Thankfully, it didn't break me, although it felt that way at the time. He left town about a year after the "break up", and that's the fresh start I needed to get over him, and to pick up my self-esteem. Not having to worry about bumping into him, or seeing him with his girlfriend put him out of my mind for good (until this thread!) I have no idea what ever became of him, or where he is now.

If I could tell my 14-year-old self something, I'd tell her you deserve so much more! I think she knew it because I never dated guys like that again. I've been lucky to have seen the signs early enough, since then, to not waste any time on what wasn't a mutually respectful relationship.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I met my first love at school, he used to tease me, then someone pointed it out that he liked me. Nothing developed for a few years until we were about 13 or 14, we started seeing each other - it was all rather innocent, stolen kisses, you know what I mean.
One day we decided to go off on an adventure for the day. We didn't tell anyone, this was back in the 1970's - a different time to be a teenager. He took me back to my home, where my distraught parents were waiting. My Dad drove him home and read him the riot act. We drifted apart after that, I was sad and angry with my parents for a long time.
Looking back on it, we were two very different people, there would not have been any future in it. But it would have been nice to have been given the opportunity, to find out. I don't think my over protective parents helped my development that well, but that is another story.

Reactions: 8

Normalgal

Met mine at 17, it was toxic but also passionate, I learnt so many life lessons from that relationship. I have never felt heartbreak like it when it ended and I really feel to this day (almost 15 years later) that it has stopped me meeting someone else. I still compare to him. Would I take him back? No. We knew how to push each other’s buttons and it was all too negative. I think I’ll love him forever, I think you love all true loves forever. He’s happy now with someone else, and I’m not jealous, I’m actually very happy for him. He still texts me on all the big occasions - my 30th, graduations (I don’t know how he knows) etc. I prefer not to get the text tbh. Sorry for labouring on! Nothing like your first love :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Belulah

VIP Member
Still with mine. Met at 17.
Love him more each day even though he does my head in.

People always ask me if I feel like I missed out on playing the field etc but I don't. I feel incredibly lucky.
Playing the field is boring- aren’t we all trying to find what you have? Someone we love more each day.
I’ve never been in love and at 29 I doubt I ever will. I like the idea of it though.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I’m taking the term ‘first love’ to mean the first time you thought you were in love even if you weren’t, if that makes sense.

Mine is cringe because it was totally unrequited, it was my dads friends son, who lived the other end of the country and only visited his dad during school holidays. I was about 13 when i first developed feelings for him and it must have gone on for at least a year If not more, he was two years older. I’d known him for years due to our parents being friends and we got on well, just doing normal stuff like playing video games, playing outside, and our parents would take us on day trips occasionally. I guess he was the only lad who was actually nice to me at the time (most of the boys at school were just not that nice to me) and I ended up developing this huge, overwhelming, unrequited and embarrassing crush that was so intense that I was sure it was love at the time and that we were meant to be together. I’d never even fancied him or thought of him like that before. Hello hormones! It was crazy. I was literally obsessed and I could think of nothing or no one else, had a keychain of us on a ride at a theme park that I carried round and looked at a lot. I told my friends about him but was very quiet about it at home, I’d never ask my dad when we’d see his friend and X again because I was paranoid dad would guess I had a crush on him, and found the thought of that horrifying. Wrote about him a lot in my diary and as a result I’ll never allow anyone to read that shit ever. But I’d only ever see him a few times a year, it was never a guarantee that I would see him during the school holidays but every time I’d hope! This ‘relationship’ I was wanting to have just want sustainable but I didn’t care. One time I sent a Christmas card and put my mobile number in it pretending to be all casual about it, it was when mobiles were still pretty new and everyone ‘collected’ phone numbers like stamps so I figured I played it totally cool and he’d text me since we were friends. I waited and waited but he never did text me! As well as that, on the odd occasion we were in the town he lived in, id keep my eyes peeled Just in case I spotted him (never did😂). When I look back now, this crush/unrequited love went on for far longer than it needed to. I really doubt he thought of me anywhere near as much as I thought of him. It was all quite innocent though.

I can’t remember how I got over it, I think I just matured a little over time, and the feelings went away. Not seen that boy (well, man now) in years, not sure if he’d even remember me and I probably couldn’t pick him out of a crowd either tbf. Whether he was aware of my mad infatuation or not, I hope he’s still the nice person he was back then (this is where I google him and find out he’s a serial killer or something🤣).

Im now in real love and have been for 11 years and I’m glad it’s not how I thought it was at 13 because it’s just not sustainable and sounds utterly exhausting to go through as an adult. Love is amazing but it’s not that😂

Sosig

Chatty Member
I had boyfriends in stuff in school and my late teens that never got far due to immaturity.

when I was 19 I met this 23 year old who at the time was “perfect” - we last 2 and a half years but we broke up once during that because of his controlling ways.
I met all of his family but he kept his friends and his social life separate and used the excuse that I was too young to share the same interests as him? And like a mug I accepted it and happily became his distraction when he had no other plans.

When we would have a disagreement over something he would instantly start calling me for all sorts over WhatsApp then before I could respond he would block my number until I was allowed to speak - then a couple of days afterwards he would buy me gifts (these ranged from a Yankee candle to perfume to a watch)

I was permanently miserable at work or with friends and everyone tried to make me see how toxic he was but I just wouldn’t listen.

we went on holiday about a year after us being together and he didn’t speak to me the whole time. It was my first time abroad and was so excited and wanted us to get out there. One morning at breakfast I asked him if he was okay as he seemed quiet and he responded “because I don’t have anything to say to you” in a cold manner. I stood up and went and sat on the steps of the resort on my own for ages - I would always go back.

he would call me fat - I was a size 8.

we would never go out and I can count on one hand how many times we had a date night or went the cinema etc. The time we’d spend together was always at my flat or at his house for dinner with the family. Although WE never went out he was out every weekend with his friends or at festivals etc and I would just lead my own life with my friends, I began to get paranoid because he would go to festivals and start following girls on social media the day after who had also went there and he broke up with me on WhatsApp because I asked who someone was and then blocked me again. I barely ate for about 6 weeks it was hardcore heartbreak diet I thought my world was crashing down - until he agreed to meet up with me and take me back - but he was going to leave me blocked on social media because my jealousy was an ugly trait.

before I “won him back” I felt so guilty at being so paranoid.

I think we lasted about 6 more months until one day I suggested actually going out somewhere for something to eat. The whole time he picked at me and tried so hard to start an argument but I was just so confused at his behaviour. Anyway we ended up back at the flat and kept saying he didn’t want it anymore but then would ask me my opinon (in other words he wanted me to beg) in the end he opened the door and stood in the hall waiting for me to come and beg in the end I said “let me make this easier for you” and slammed the door in his face. I cried slightly but there was no heartbreak sobs or another diet I decided to get out there and have a good time.

I then found out the following week that we was cracking on with a girl 12 years older than him. So I’m 99% sure he already had her on the go before we split and probably more in the past.

while he was single he would try and reconnect with old exes and go away with them on weekends away “as friends”

anyway he stayed with that girl for around 2 years but they were on and off aswell. Every time they were off he would slide into my DMs and try and bring up old stuff (noticing a pattern along with the other exes - I figured he liked to play women like puppets and pick them up and drop them again) and when they were back on he would block me again.

They eventually called it quits early 2018 just before I got with my now boyfriend and he kept repeatedly sliding in, trying to call, sending me dick pics😒 - ignored all of it and then finally told him I was seeing someone to which he replies “feel sorry for him” and blocked me 😂

he tried to follow me again last year and I sent a 🐍emoji and blocked him!

Crazy those rose tinted glasses arent they 😂😂

He’s now 31 living in a pokey flat sitting on his parents hand me down couch.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
We met at school and sort of drifted apart afterwards as we didn't go to the same university and just sort of lost touch.
If we bumped into each other we'd always stop and chat, there was never any bad feeling between us or anything like that.

We're both married to other people now and I hadn't seen him in I'd say close on 10 years, but last year I bumped into him one day and we sat talking for over an hour.
It was surreal, like I'd gone back in time.

I think he really was my first 'love', as in I did love him at the time.
I think part of me always will.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Mememememe

Playing the field is boring- aren’t we all trying to find what you have? Someone we love more each day.
I’ve never been in love and at 29 I doubt I ever will. I like the idea of it though.
You NEVER know what tomorrow may bring :) xx

Reactions: 6

Eureka

VIP Member
Married him, still together. I knew him all my life ( our mothers were friends ). I wasn't really keen on him because he hung around with a group I had nothing in common with but we lived near each other so knew one another fairly well. I went through a tough time in my teens and out of everyone he was the one person who was there for me through it all. I saw a completely different side to him and fell head over heels. We've been together 25 years next Saturday ( we still celebrate that every year ) and I'm still pinching myself I got so lucky.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I met my first proper love when I was 17. I met him through being on tour with my old job. He played guitar and a lot of the girls fancied him so I was absolutely terrified to talk to him. But one night he came over to me and just started chatting about random shit. He gave me his number as we were all leaving tour that day and we spoke every single day for 3 weeks. Then we met up for our first date. That was 8 years ago now. We are now engaged. We have started a business together, brought houses to do up and sell on and now we have our own little house and we are planning our wedding which is hopefully going to be in September next year🥰 after that we hope for children, I am so thankful to have met him.

WilmaHun

VIP Member
Still with him 🥰🥰 We were in the same year group at school. We were total opposites, he was a bit of a tearaway and I was the quiet one who never said boo to a goose. We didn't belong to the same friendship groups and if I'm honest, I didn't particularly even like him. He always used to tease me and block corridors so I couldn't get through, make me late to lessons, poke fun at me etc. We went to different colleges and didn't speak for ages, we then randomly got chatting via FB. He sort of became my best friend! He then used to purposely catch a later bus home so that he'd be on the bus when I finished. 🤣 He'd walk me from the bus stop to my house every day, then eventually we sort of just ended up together? There was never any "will you be my girlfriend" sort of thing. Now I look back on it, I'm glad it happened the way it did as it makes it feel like it was just meant to be. We've been together over 7 years now.
We now laugh at the fact I thought he was an idiot at school. He says the teasing me was because he liked me all along and didn't know how else to act 🤣

• Heart