Finch Bakery #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
this definitely could be the reason too - the timings they gave left me with a still very uncooked cake for the size (they say 8inch and specify amount of batter so it’s not that I used the wrong pan/amount!)

making a wedding cake soon (not using their recipe 😂) so if anyone has any tips/recipes - I clearly need all the help I can get 🤦🏻‍♀️
I recently tried a few cake recipes from Jane’s pattiserie and they lovely!

Reactions: 1
this definitely could be the reason too - the timings they gave left me with a still very uncooked cake for the size (they say 8inch and specify amount of batter so it’s not that I used the wrong pan/amount!)

making a wedding cake soon (not using their recipe 😂) so if anyone has any tips/recipes - I clearly need all the help I can get 🤦🏻‍♀️
For vanilla sponge I use the egg method. So I get 3 6 inch cakes out of this. Whatever the eggs weigh together in their shell I use same in flour, caster sugar and unsalted butter. I also add 2 2tsps of vanilla extract and milk. Ovens can vary so invest in a oven thermometer to get the exact temp. I always bake my sponges in the middle of the oven. Never open the door before 30 mins and I use a little skewer to test the cakes cooked through. When they cool after baking, double wrap in cling film and freeze ( much more moist that way) decorate while still semi frozen makes it miles easier. If a cake is dry though freezing helps. Make some simple syrup with water and sugar and brush over. Trim the top and edges of your cake too. I bake low and slow..usually 140 😊 oh and pre heat your oven a good 20 mins. Sorry for the essay. Also don't over cream your butter sugar or over mix your batter x

• Heart
Reactions: 13
For vanilla sponge I use the egg method. So I get 3 6 inch cakes out of this. Whatever the eggs weigh together in their shell I use same in flour, caster sugar and unsalted butter. I also add 2 2tsps of vanilla extract and milk. Ovens can vary so invest in a oven thermometer to get the exact temp. I always bake my sponges in the middle of the oven. Never open the door before 30 mins and I use a little skewer to test the cakes cooked through. When they cool after baking, double wrap in cling film and freeze ( much more moist that way) decorate while still semi frozen makes it miles easier. If a cake is dry though freezing helps. Make some simple syrup with water and sugar and brush over. Trim the top and edges of your cake too. I bake low and slow..usually 140 😊 oh and pre heat your oven a good 20 mins. Sorry for the essay. Also don't over cream your butter sugar or over mix your batter x
I second this.
I've only ever used the egg method. Tbh, I didn't realise it was a 'method' I thought it was the only way to make a cake 😂😂

• Heart
I have never heard of the egg method but always wondered the difference between using medium/large eggs so this makes so much sense!
How long do you freeze the cakes for? How long do you leave them out for before decorating?
So pleased I asked now, thank you 😊

I ordered brownies during the first lockdown (was seriously over excited looking back) . They were definitely old. Very dry and stale - I was gutted!!
I think that might just be their brownies, I’ve had them and found them dry. The blondies are so so nice though

I have never heard of the egg method but always wondered the difference between using medium/large eggs so this makes so much sense!
How long do you freeze the cakes for? How long do you leave them out for before decorating?
So pleased I asked now, thank you 😊
I freeze mine for a few weeks, but a day or two would he fine. I think they freeze for a couple of months. You can actually freeze butter cream too, but I don't. I set them out for maybe 20 mins to hour a hour. I remove my top whilst it's semi frozen too and bin it. So your cake will be softening but still pretty solid. I can't be any more specific sorry. If you're on Facebook there are loads of brilliant cake groups! Also remember to do a crumb coat whether your topping with fondant or using buttercream to finish. I put my crumb coat in the fridge a few hours, you can leave over night. Then I put my final coat of buttercream on, smooth it re refrigerate then smooth again. Once your buttercream has set you really shouldn't have to keep it in a fridge it's fine in a cake box kept in a cool place for a few days. Fondant doesn't like the fridge! Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs! I'd also say get some allergen stickers if Amazon if you haven't already😊 to stick on the cake box.

• Heart
I think that might just be their brownies, I’ve had them and found them dry. The blondies are so so nice though
Their cakes are SO dry aswell. Their cake jars need the buttercream and sauce because without they are inedible lol I do love their cookies tho. The brownies used to be lovely. But last time I got them I just felt they'd been frozen prior and weren't fresh.

Reactions: 4
I thought their brownies were the only nice things about them. When bought from the shop anyway. But I'm talking back when they were all made out the back.
Then I got a postal box and they were awful

i can’t get over how obsessed they seem to be with their exes and some of the stuff they admitted to is bizarre. I can imagine they thought they were too good and perfect and hated being dumped

Reactions: 5
i can’t get over how obsessed they seem to be with their exes and some of the stuff they admitted to is bizarre. I can imagine they thought they were too good and perfect and hated being dumped
I think they do it cos it gets engagement rate up? (If it goes towards that) and also you have to remember a lot of their following will be 18-30 year olds,they’ve always been like this! Nothing new really.

I should probably start a rave thread cos I do love them 😂 they’ve worked hard for what they’ve got, no many people would graft 7 days a week etc long hours.. they’re lovely girls and their kids are adorable especially Alba🥲 but I think their cakes are dry and overpriced (and very surprised they use stuff with palm oil in🤨)

Edit- obv aware they have loads of staff now so don’t work as much.. but in the beginning they did graft!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Where the shop is is a very small town (near another small town/villages that they probably feel like very big fish / Celebs etc

surely the chap(s) mention driving past / in passing 'oh yeah I dated one of the finch girls' imagine current girlfriend/wife having a stalk and discovering they are still talked about 😂

anyone else get the impression/ think the other mum gets a bit narked over the other girl & boy not being 'as in demand/' requested enough or however I can't think how to explain in 🙈

Reactions: 8
Where the shop is is a very small town (near another small town/villages that they probably feel like very big fish / Celebs etc

surely the chap(s) mention driving past / in passing 'oh yeah I dated one of the finch girls' imagine current girlfriend/wife having a stalk and discovering they are still talked about 😂

anyone else get the impression/ think the other mum gets a bit narked over the other girl & boy not being 'as in demand/' requested enough or however I can't think how to explain in 🙈
Alba is an Instagram icon as far as their followers are concerned 😂😂 a lot of ppl ask to see her cos she is cute and funny.. did you see the latest post where someone said here for alba and inka and the one who has kit said I’ll take my kit and wren content elsewhere 😂😂 i defo think she must feel a bit put out cos of how popular alba is. Kit just isn’t as outgoing or so it seems.

Reactions: 6
Alba is an Instagram icon as far as their followers are concerned 😂😂 a lot of ppl ask to see her cos she is cute and funny.. did you see the latest post where someone said here for alba and inka and the one who has kit said I’ll take my kit and wren content elsewhere 😂😂 i defo think she must feel a bit put out cos of how popular alba is. Kit just isn’t as outgoing or so it seems.
I think all 4 kids are cute (in a aww cute kinda way wouldn't 'ask' for 'content' but there you go)
So she is a bit miffed then.not very subtle.

I think all 4 kids are cute (in a aww cute kinda way wouldn't 'ask' for 'content' but there you go)
So she is a bit miffed then.not very subtle.
I think Alba comes out with some funny things also she is a good big sister !! Whereas kit doesn’t have any interest in his sister so maybe that’s another thing she gets bothered by. I think it would bother me if my son was “attacking” his sister if he had one whereas Alba is always cuddling or led with inka 😳

Reactions: 4
Is there a thread for isabakes?? We need to discuss how tacky her stuff is!! Showering everything in gold it looks so bad! Plus her cookies etc look too sugary with cheap ingredients

Reactions: 5
Is there a thread for isabakes?? We need to discuss how tacky her stuff is!! Showering everything in gold it looks so bad! Plus her cookies etc look too sugary with cheap ingredients
I never thought about it until now but yeah why does she spray everything in gold 😂

Finch spray glitter on everything too 😂 not sure why they do it 🤷‍♀️

I get the impression that they’re trying to be relatable 🙄 I’d be mortified if my partner was instagramming about ex’s on the regular

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.