Fathering Autism #57 New Studio and Kitchen Remodel so P doesn't have far to Waddle Waddle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New to this page and I have to say this... I. LOVE IT!!!!
My biggest pet peeve are the not following through with things. They said that if Abby were to “yell” she is to go to her room as a designated space so she can yell. I agree that is a good thing especially if it is something she has to do. They say Abbie understands, they implement things into her routine and then they just stop. I am quite sure people were annoyed at her screaming since they both have said repeatedly that the sound Abbie makes are “deafening at times” and Summer chiming in agreement. It has nothing to do with tolerance or education about Autism... it comes down to understanding that your one child has an issue that is causing discomfort for at 30 or more people who are paying for a peaceful dinner. I know when my kids were little and tried misbehaving in groups we removed them from the situation until they go the point. Just because I have kids does not mean everyone else should partake in their behavior. I think Abbie uses her “abbitude” to her benefit more than we may realize. She knows her parents will fold and do whatever she wants. I have never seen grown adults cater to a child as much as they do. I think Isaiah really gets the short end of the stick and was a huge reason why he got as far as he could from them. Imagine every waking minute being told how you need to live your life in order for your sister to live hers. There are times where they truly force Abbies needs onto people where it is not needed.
There is a lot of excuses made for her, especially when it comes to that pool. She should be given some sort of direction to not jump in the pool such as putting up a pool fence.To say that she will never jump into a lake or another pool is wrong,especially if she has impulse issues such as eloping or taking things from others. She could jump in one time and miscalculate and break her neck;but Abbie loves to do it and it is content so Abbie does whatAbbie wants... smile for the camera.
I think Priscillas issue with Abbie is that Abbie usually uses her mother as a punching bag. There have been many times where they talk of Abbie scratching, hitting and biting her mother. I would see why there is caution there when it comes to bonding with her, plus Asa overtakes all conversation when it comes to Abbie as if no one else is qualified to have an opinion or experience, he even does it with Brandy and the speech therapist. I wonder if thats why Brandy felt she needed less time with Abbie. Asa -“ I am not a certified therapist;but I do play one on YouTube so that makes me a professional “
... HOW MANY FREAKING DONUTS DO THEY THINK THIS KID CAN EAT!! It seems that they eat out more since Priscillas surgery then before the surgery. Their fast food bills have to be huge.. slong with her dining room table charteury boards.. good Lord their cholesterol has to be out of this world.
Their kitchen redo I can see needing to be done... O have a kitchen that photographs amazinglyf;but totally not functional and has its issues. It seems that this house has a lot of band aids and they should of been smarter in what they had negotiated when buying it.
I am surprised that they have not put Abbie into therapy again for her neck and back curvature. While it may be difficult there are things that can be done to help strengthen the muscles. There are videos when they first started their vlogs where she was in physical therapy for it... now she is walking around shaped like a question mark.
There was a time that I enjoyed watching them;but now I find myself annoyed.
Sorry if I am all over the place,but I was writing as things were popping into my head😁

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
I'm actually not advocating smoking weed. In America we have a few states that allow adult use over age 21 to indulge in marijuana. In my state New York you can get a marijuana card provided as long as it's medical reasons. I do want them to decriminalize marijuana, I do believe that will cut down on gang violence and drug use believe it or not. If you can get legal weed without any pesticides or foreign substances example poisons, it would be safer for people to indulge. The money generated from the sales of marijuana benefits the state and it's programs. Marijuana helps a lot of people with chronic pain, helps with anxiety, helps children with seizures, helps with glaucoma Etc. A lot of states don't even have medical marijuana, those people have to go find it elsewhere on the streets.
I was able to get medical marijuana because of my breast cancer. I declined since I didn’t have any nausea issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This might seem petty but I don’t like how when Abbie tries to stop an activity or get away they grab her and force her to do something a certain way. They are very grabby with Abbie. Grabbing her hands to do things like she’s a puppet. I understand wanting to show her how to do something but they somewhat force her. If it already isn’t enough that she’s out in high sensory places, she’s then being told “Grab the ball, grab the ball, swing this way, do this, do that, tap this, tap that” while someone is holding her directing her to do it. I think she sits down because she needs a break from all the activity.

I think Assa and Priscilla need to understand that Abbie doesn’t function the same way as nuerotypical people. She shouldn’t need to be forced into uncomfortable fun. How about finding fun activities that cater to her style of learning.

And because they aren’t consistent, none of it makes sense. Abbie doesn’t know what to expect from her parents. One day she’ll be putting beads on a string and the next moment she’s at an arcade trying to play miniature golf.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm actually not advocating smoking weed. In America we have a few states that allow adult use over age 21 to indulge in marijuana. In my state New York you can get a marijuana card provided as long as it's medical reasons. I do want them to decriminalize marijuana, I do believe that will cut down on gang violence and drug use believe it or not. If you can get legal weed without any pesticides or foreign substances example poisons, it would be safer for people to indulge. The money generated from the sales of marijuana benefits the state and it's programs. Marijuana helps a lot of people with chronic pain, helps with anxiety, helps children with seizures, helps with glaucoma Etc. A lot of states don't even have medical marijuana, those people have to go find it elsewhere on the streets.
I live in Pennsylvania. With all I've been through with ny leg only to lose it 2 weeks ago...I wonder if it would help pain wise and nerve/anxiety, depression wise. But, my husband wouldn't allow it unless I could get a legalll Rx for it...I'm sure. I'm not even sure if it's medically legal in PA...

• Heart
Reactions: 10
New to this page and I have to say this... I. LOVE IT!!!!
My biggest pet peeve are the not following through with things. They said that if Abby were to “yell” she is to go to her room as a designated space so she can yell. I agree that is a good thing especially if it is something she has to do. They say Abbie understands, they implement things into her routine and then they just stop. I am quite sure people were annoyed at her screaming since they both have said repeatedly that the sound Abbie makes are “deafening at times” and Summer chiming in agreement. It has nothing to do with tolerance or education about Autism... it comes down to understanding that your one child has an issue that is causing discomfort for at 30 or more people who are paying for a peaceful dinner. I know when my kids were little and tried misbehaving in groups we removed them from the situation until they go the point. Just because I have kids does not mean everyone else should partake in their behavior. I think Abbie uses her “abbitude” to her benefit more than we may realize. She knows her parents will fold and do whatever she wants. I have never seen grown adults cater to a child as much as they do. I think Isaiah really gets the short end of the stick and was a huge reason why he got as far as he could from them. Imagine every waking minute being told how you need to live your life in order for your sister to live hers. There are times where they truly force Abbies needs onto people where it is not needed.
There is a lot of excuses made for her, especially when it comes to that pool. She should be given some sort of direction to not jump in the pool such as putting up a pool fence.To say that she will never jump into a lake or another pool is wrong,especially if she has impulse issues such as eloping or taking things from others. She could jump in one time and miscalculate and break her neck;but Abbie loves to do it and it is content so Abbie does whatAbbie wants... smile for the camera.
I think Priscillas issue with Abbie is that Abbie usually uses her mother as a punching bag. There have been many times where they talk of Abbie scratching, hitting and biting her mother. I would see why there is caution there when it comes to bonding with her, plus Asa overtakes all conversation when it comes to Abbie as if no one else is qualified to have an opinion or experience, he even does it with Brandy and the speech therapist. I wonder if thats why Brandy felt she needed less time with Abbie. Asa -“ I am not a certified therapist;but I do play one on YouTube so that makes me a professional “
... HOW MANY FREAKING DONUTS DO THEY THINK THIS KID CAN EAT!! It seems that they eat out more since Priscillas surgery then before the surgery. Their fast food bills have to be huge.. slong with her dining room table charteury boards.. good Lord their cholesterol has to be out of this world.
Their kitchen redo I can see needing to be done... O have a kitchen that photographs amazinglyf;but totally not functional and has its issues. It seems that this house has a lot of band aids and they should of been smarter in what they had negotiated when buying it.
I am surprised that they have not put Abbie into therapy again for her neck and back curvature. While it may be difficult there are things that can be done to help strengthen the muscles. There are videos when they first started their vlogs where she was in physical therapy for it... now she is walking around shaped like a question mark.
There was a time that I enjoyed watching them;but now I find myself annoyed.
Sorry if I am all over the place,but I was writing as things were popping into my head😁
Welcome to the group!!!
You have so many valid concerns that we all share with the Maass Family...
Feel free to jump in any time to conversations and don't feel like you are all over the place, trust us, sometimes we have conversations going in different directions because of so much going on at one time... They give us a lot of material to work with some videos and others, it is really just a one-subject wonder...

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I live in Pennsylvania. With all I've been through with ny leg only to lose it 2 weeks ago...I wonder if it would help pain wise and nerve/anxiety, depression wise. But, my husband wouldn't allow it unless I could get a legalll Rx for it...I'm sure. I'm not even sure if it's medically legal in PA...
They do have medical marijuana in Pennsylvania, I would think that you would be qualified with severe chronic intractable pain. New Jersey is on the ballot for recreational weed, and from what I've read most people are for it and most likely it'll pass.

Reactions: 3
Look who is once again on Cilly's group. Keep pitching that maternal bond you have with Abbie.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Abbie has been set zero boundaries. The closest to any form of discipline she has been given is to go to her bedroom to yell but that has not been done consistently. If she starts doing it in a public space she should be removed instantly. We are all sympathetic to special needs people but if the behaviour is detrimental to people's enjoyment then we expect that child is not brought into that environment. It is blatant inconsiderate behaviour. Sadly if your child behaves in such a manner you have to take the consequences until you get the behaviour under control. Abbie maybe severely autistic/IDD but she is capable of learning what is acceptable behaviour with sufficient input.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Look who is once again on Cilly's group. Keep pitching that maternal bond you have with Abbie.
STOP! You are not a host of a tv show. She bugs me the way she talks about things as if she’s doing a commercial.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Welcome to the group. We all share many of our pet peeves and they are always evolving. We love new perspectives!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I Wonder Why ;)😃
Can you imagine if she did attend an appointment? Well, Mrs Maas let's get you on the scales. Oh my god, what happened since I last saw you? Oh, I only had two spoonfuls of any meal, never ate any ice cream or doughnuts, only drank black coffee, been walking the dogs every day, been on my Peleton bike every day, swam 20 lengths every day, never eat junk takeaway food - just cant imagine why I am as fat as I am. According to my husband, who knows everything, must be something wrong with your surgery. I rest my case.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Seriously, watch this. Godcilla bought like 90% candy, 9% toys, and 1% shaving cream and containers. Abbie gets the shaving cream first, and hates it jumps in the pool. Then she goes after the candy like she's never been fed before. It is the most funniest thing I think I seen on her channel. The cringe factor is really high, you will love it.

Reactions: 11
This might seem petty but I don’t like how when Abbie tries to stop an activity or get away they grab her and force her to do something a certain way. They are very grabby with Abbie. Grabbing her hands to do things like she’s a puppet. I understand wanting to show her how to do something but they somewhat force her. If it already isn’t enough that she’s out in high sensory places, she’s then being told “Grab the ball, grab the ball, swing this way, do this, do that, tap this, tap that” while someone is holding her directing her to do it. I think she sits down because she needs a break from all the activity.

I think Assa and Priscilla need to understand that Abbie doesn’t function the same way as nuerotypical people. She shouldn’t need to be forced into uncomfortable fun. How about finding fun activities that cater to her style of learning.

And because they aren’t consistent, none of it makes sense. Abbie doesn’t know what to expect from her parents. One day she’ll be putting beads on a string and the next moment she’s at an arcade trying to play miniature golf.
You've got it. Consistency and with basic skills first (personal hygiene, eating, socially acceptable behavior when out at different places, etc...then on to the things she can do and likes, maybe a little more advanced activity as time goes on. She's 15 now though and these are things that they should been doing and reinforcing with her early on.

Reactions: 14
They mentioned after her 6 month appointment last year that she only has to go for an annual check up now. That was in September. They didn't mention anything about it this year.
I bet she went in there and they looked her up and down then started the paperwork for WLS and what to expect with the surgery :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8
STOP! You are not a host of a tv show. She bugs me the way she talks about things as if she’s doing a commercial.
Because she doesn't know how to be real and just be herself. She's always trying to be better than what she perceives herself to be. She may want to put herself out there as being "supercute" and comfortable in her skin but she's not and it eats her up alive.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Thanks... I tried the stuff for many years..remember I was a teen in the sixties, and it makes me paranoid. I adore peanut butter. The smooth kind..not crunchy. And yes, I’m a picky eater. Peppers will never be my thing. I am frightfully stubborn...but still around to joke about it!

My dad also threw me in the pool so I wouldn’t be afraid of the water (he was quite the character). Fortunately, I love to swim..lol! Just thought of something...my dad also had me drive a year before I was old enough for a drivers license (with him). The first time driving, he had me drive on the highway, No wonder I’m a chicken tit...😂 He took out all the kids and grandkids driving.
I think we're around the same age...my dad would take me out on the country roads to learn how to drive...his stick shift beloved Ford truck...good times😁😁😁. I was 14 at the time.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I was beyond horrified they didn’t donate any thing. Selfish pigs.
Kermy hides from nothing
Poor Abbie...why, just why subject her to the staring, etc... ??? At least act concerned and try to soothe her some how to control the stimming and yelling! Geez...

I wonder if Abbie's yelling stim can be heard by neighbors and how that affects them? Just wondering ...
I think she yells in the restaurant because it's too overwhelming for her and I think that this is usually the sound she makes when she feels overwhelmed. It could be the noise or the bright lights. Behaviour is communication.

They don't even bother meeting her sensory needs at all when they go to places like this no wonder why she gets angry and upset.

Here's my advice for her parents when taking her to restaurants:

Either:
1) Bring headphones, stim toys, sunglasses (if she's ok to wear them) and her ipad and put a video/Spotify playlist on for her while they're there to help block out the noise. This will help keep her calm and allow her to focus on what she's watching/listening to.

Or:
2) If the sensory aids won't work, don't take her to a restaurant at all and cook her a meal at home. Or find a restaurant that is quiet and has dim lighting.

By the way, I'm autistic myself for those of you who don't know me

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.