Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jamiebeth

VIP Member
Everytime Pig walks in the hallway leading into the kitchen (next to the stairs) and the wooden floors creeks really loud from her weight, I think of the movie ," Whatever Happened To Gilbert Grape" lol.
That was such a good movie and guess what I just watched it a month ago for the very first time...where have I been

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Mother2

Chatty Member
Blood pressure is so much fun, isn't it! :sick: Just in case your doctor and/or pharmacist didn't give you a heads up - keep an eye out for developing a severe dry cough with the Valsartan. Although if you had no probs with the hydrochlorothiazide you should be okay.
Thanks for the heads up! So far, I've just got a bit of a headache but, I'm not sure if it's related to the meds or not. I checked my bp a little while after taking the meds for the first time and its alot lower than it was yesterday. A little too low to be honest (96/63) but, I'll take low bp over high bp any day. I don't know if low bp can cause headaches just like high bp can or not but, I'm just going to take it easy for the next few days to try and get used to the med change. I hate having temperamental bp. If I do the smallest thing differently my bp shoots thru the roof and I feel horrible! I can tell if I even have the slightest elevation bc it makes me feel bad and my arm gets weak.

WoahThatsCrazy

Chatty Member
The key thing with stimming is to a) find out the reason behind it (a person doesn't stim because they want to, they do it because of a neurological imperative), and b) re-direct a harmful stim as opposed to stopping it. So say, for example, your kid is head banging. This obviously can't continue, so while you're trying to find the root cause you focus on harm reduction - padded headbands, pillows/cushions behind their head, etc.

In terms of investigating, oh jesus, just pick something and go from there. When are they doing this? Throughout the day? At bed time (very common)? When you ask them to do something in particular? Before eating? After eating? Before/during/after toileting? Just at school? Just at home? When they're told no? When they have to go outside/inside? When they have to be around people or a particular person? When they're happy/sad/angry? Around animals? Check their vision, their hearing, their digestion (head banging is VERY common in autistic kids with IBS, sensitive stomachs, celiac, etc). And on and on and on until you think you've got it. Then address the situation(s) in what ever manner you think is appropriate (avoiding that activity/place if possible, self soothing, modified learning, etc) and try to redirect the stim into a non-harmful activity if it continues to happen.

It's not easy. I would never pretend that it is. But to give your kid/student/patient their happiest, healthiest life - this is what you gotta do.
You said it so much better than me! Thank you for your posts! X
I was going to reply but didn't know how to explain, since I've tried lots of times on this forum to explain how behaviour is communication, but most people on here seem to be NT and suffer from a term I've coined; Neurotypical Bias.
#PleaseDontAblesplainStimmingToAutisticPeople lol!
:)

• Heart

Whimsical

VIP Member
And whats funny is, why havent they left for a "date night"? Go for a long drive. Park and watch the sunset. Have a conversation.
Oh, thats right...because if they arent snarfing down the carbs they arent on a real date.
Your avatar!!! 😂 😂 😂 😂 :m 🛴🐖

• Haha

lovesis

VIP Member
With Abbie's feet being so dirty it isn't just a matter of keeping her feet clean it is also clean the floors in the house and wash down the patio floor. Abbie isn't going anywhere else so all that dirt is coming from home.
It’s from dirty floors and going outside barefoot. I don’t see a big issue with it, they don’t seem to care.

Reactions: 3

PhartBlossom

VIP Member
Yea maybe they were watching something that looked weird to her, it looked like she has no balance and was clinging to everyone like she did on the boat lol, well A was like “idk what to do” or something and Summer came running up the stairs to save the day LOL

If I have to have an ear worm...so you do yous guys.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Hannah'sMama

It's quite possible that that could occur, but that doesn't mean that Abbie shouldn't get the same level of medical treatment than any NT would. I am a paramedic in Australia and it is my job to manage the medical, emotional, and social needs of the patient. It does not matter if that takes hours or minutes. I can only treat one patient at a time and their needs are my sole focus when I am with them. I am obligated to treat a patient without judgement or bias, everyone gets the same level of care no matter their circumstances.
Do you think this attitude is a USA thing? I'm like you - treat the patient that's in front of you that moment, making sure their needs are met. Holding someone down or drugging them just because they're being challenging just seems so wrong. I'm from Canada and I just can't comprehend this approach to patient care.

• Haha

Hannah'sMama

Thanks for the heads up! So far, I've just got a bit of a headache but, I'm not sure if it's related to the meds or not. I checked my bp a little while after taking the meds for the first time and its alot lower than it was yesterday. A little too low to be honest (96/63) but, I'll take low bp over high bp any day. I don't know if low bp can cause headaches just like high bp can or not but, I'm just going to take it easy for the next few days to try and get used to the med change. I hate having temperamental bp. If I do the smallest thing differently my bp shoots thru the roof and I feel horrible! I can tell if I even have the slightest elevation bc it makes me feel bad and my arm gets weak.
Not a prob! 96/63 is a bit low so definitely stick to your plan to take it easy. Your dose may just be a bit high. Low bp can cause headaches and if you start to feel quite dizzy and/or faint, definitely get in to see your doctor ASAP. Take care, my friend - I know it's shitty to be in your thirties (I think you said you were 34?) struggling with blood pressure. I've lost weight, I've come off certain meds, gone on others, changed my diet, etc. and I still struggle with it. At least my bp hasn't skyrocketed or plummeted with being pregnant (so far - fingers crossed!)

High blood pressure is one of my concerns with Abbie. With what she eats (so much salt and fat!), being on Seroquel (and other drugs that might screw around with things), not being very active, etc. - she's definitely a candidate for high bp. Maybe she gets to the doctor more often than they show on the vlog, but I'd be surprised if she was getting regular checkups.

What is it with the sideways selfie does it run in the family? They look idiotic.

Nevermind I found the answer. :rolleyes: https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/386...stantly-more-attractive-according-to-science/

View attachment 121729
Her lips don’t look crooked here & these are good colors for her. But that’s a horrible color on her mom. Red lips just bring a focus to the lips. So one better look good & have nice lips to wear it! I honestly thought someone here added a (bad) pic of her mom.

• Haha

PhartBlossom

VIP Member
We can agree to disagree. My (then)23 month old grandson nearly died from spinal meningitis in Jan. In between convulsing from fever he was scared, combative and unmanageable. The nurses had to get lines in. There was no time for papoosing or gentle touch. He was held firmly and sedated. What could he have communicated to them anyway at 23 months old? Onset of symptoms? What could a non- verbal Abbie communicate in a real medical emergency? Im glad they didnt pussy foot around. He was life-flighted out of our local ER not 25 minutes later. My analogy of my childs immunizations was simply, if something needs done, do it. But for you to compare a broken tooth in a dental office to a medical emergency in an ER? Not even close.
And Abbie must not being having too much blood drawn, since Brandis whole focus before the virus started was desensitizing Abbie to having a tourniquet put on her arm, rubbing the alcohol pad, showing her the needle, etc.
What disagreement...I do not see any . I said emergencies and what happened to your grandson was an emergency. Dr's assess, then decide between restraint or sedation and they tried with your grandson , then chose sedation and that seems appropriate. Pretty much what I said so what exactly are we disagreeing on?

Kids can die from an abcess and I wasn't comparing emergencies, ER personnel decide on the level at triage. The 3 Drs in the team I worked with took turns to be on call and we went to the ER many times. Regardless if a child comes in with a knocked out or broken tooth (especially if it is down to the nerve), we assess them and choose restraint or sedation.

I'm not sure whether it is a US thing or just public perception. Obviously medical care is seldom black & white and as a paramedic I live in the grey (due to lack of diagnostic capabilities). There are times when that approach is appropriate and times when it isn't, it's all situational. **

Hahaha those would seriously come in handy. Personally I haven't had the need to sedate anyone due to behavioural reasons.

** Obviously this is just my opinion and is shaped by my own experiences and education, in no way am I saying that others are right or wrong I am just sharing my thoughts.

**Obviously this is just my opinion and is shaped by my own experiences and education, in no way am I saying that others are right or wrong I am just sharing my thoughts.

lmao! Everyone start using this!