Fathering Autism #2 Selling autism, gluttonous lifestyle, and pyramid schemes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She needs to come to this forum if not already a member.
Definitely. Commenting directly on their content with logical/reasonable thoughts doesn't work out well.

@lovesis yes she does!!

Also, just because you say someone is friends with someone, it takes 2 people that have cognitive functioning of at least a toddler, to actually be friends and acknowledge that friendship. Summer may be able to say she is friends but Abbie doesn’t even know what that means and we know she doesn’t function to toddler capacity..

Also, Abbie’s parents say that “Abbie lives having Summer as a friend” but I am sorry, the minute that Summer helped Abbie in the bathroom (changing her pull up, wiping her, giving her a bath, etc), is the minute that Summer was no longer considered “Abbie’s friend” but is now her caregiver nor should they encourage their “friendship.” Abbie shouldn’t think that it is okay for any “friend” to help her with those things and if she does, then that is setting Abbie up for possible abuse by caregivers later in life.. This is just my feelings...
Blurring the lines of friendship and care-giving is dangerous all around. You rightly point out that it puts Abbie at risk long term, but it is also a concern for the caregiver. My brother has someone stop by every other day to help him out. That person assists him and is kind to him, but he is not my brother's "friend" so there isn't pressure to put in extra time or tolerate aggressive behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Have you guys noticed that Abbie looks like a straight-up mess lately? She seems so disheveled and crazy-eyed too.
I said it before that she often looks possessed. She appears to be hallucinating to things that only she can see. She is going to give someone a concussion with that insane head banging.

Reactions: 9
I read this thread but don’t contribute as I don’t watch the family religiously although I find what they’re doing abhorrent. As a person affected by disability and with family members who have disability and autism I understand the need for awareness and the desire to broadcast it - however based on what I’ve seen of Abby I don’t think she truly is the ‘face’ of autism and like PPs have said, she has more of an IDD. So they are broadcasting a false image to people and causing distress to their child in the process because they have that one track view of content and not their child’s needs/wants.

The reason I say this is because I found a post on LadBible of a father broadcasting his autistic son. There were lots of gushing comments and a small amount saying that he was wrong, and that as his child was having meltdowns he should have turned off the camera. Loads of other commenters were using Fathering Autism as an example of a positive experience of parenting a severely autistic child, in response to the negative comments. That’s paraphrased but you get the gist. I read it and I was just thinking, no! No it isn’t. It’s wrong. it’s not in the child’s best interests, surely?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Gushcloud Talent!
We need to let them know there is zero autism and or awareness on this channel.
Let them know what this channel is really all about!

Dear GushCloud Talent Agency,
I am astonished that your company would endorse and support a family like FatheringAutism. FatheringAutism is becoming one of the most disrespectful, condescending, and uneducated platforms for showing a child that has more intellectual developmental disabilities and trying to hang on to the “Autism” label as “click bait.” Many parents, educators and professionals in the arena of Autism world (myself included, as I have 4 children on the Autism Spectrum), are starting to see the hard truths about this family and they are starting to tarnish the community.
Abbie is a wonderful girl that has IDD and Autism (I used that loosely and while she shows some characteristics, may not even have a current diagnosis of Autism)... Her parents though do very little to grow her capabilities and constantly complain of any mess that she makes. They rarely engage Abbie, unless they have a camera in their hands. The last thing Abbie needs is more cameras in her face and as an agency, I can only imagine how much more she will be forced to “work” just to get the attention she is desperately needing from her family.
Please reconsider your position with this family. I am not the only one that feels this way and sees these things. The Maass Family has been investigated by DSS (though I don’t agree with it going that far, as just non engagement of a special needs child isn’t considered neglect) but it is starting to come close to that, as much as she is no engaged and gets into messes. There are several blogs that have posted about this family and the negative light that they give off and a few boards that are gathering followings of people starting to open their eyes and see the lack of Autism Awareness that they actually give off...
Many years ago, I believed the same thing though. Asa’s first blogs were wonderful and really showed some progress that Abbie was making but as money rolled in, the less and less engaged they have became, the less the Autism is being shown due to her IDD coming more forefront and the less they engage Abbie to do activities (unless of course, it is for a vlog or someone is paying for them to do it)...
Again, please reconsider your position having this family as spokes people for your agency.
Sincerely
Sam-I-Am

Yes, this is the message that I just sent them...

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I am astonished that your company would endorse and support a family like FatheringAutism. FatheringAutism is becoming one of the most disrespectful, condescending, and uneducated platforms for showing a child that has more intellectual developmental disabilities and trying to hang on to the “Autism” label as “click bait.” Many parents, educators and professionals in the arena of Autism world (myself included, as I have 4 children on the Autism Spectrum), are starting to see the hard truths about this family and they are starting to tarnish the community.
Abbie is a wonderful girl that has IDD and Autism (I used that loosely and while she shows some characteristics, may not even have a current diagnosis of Autism)... Her parents though do very little to grow her capabilities and constantly complain of any mess that she makes. They rarely engage Abbie, unless they have a camera in their hands. The last thing Abbie needs is more cameras in her face and as an agency, I can only imagine how much more she will be forced to “work” just to get the attention she is desperately needing from her family.
Please reconsider your position with this family. I am not the only one that feels this way and sees these things. The Maass Family has been investigated by DSS (though I don’t agree with it going that far, as just non engagement of a special needs child isn’t considered neglect) but it is starting to come close to that, as much as she is no engaged and gets into messes. There are several blogs that have posted about this family and the negative light that they give off and a few boards that are gathering followings of people starting to open their eyes and see the lack of Autism Awareness that they actually give off...
Many years ago, I believed the same thing though. Asa’s first blogs were wonderful and really showed some progress that Abbie was making but as money rolled in, the less and less engaged they have became, the less the Autism is being shown due to her IDD coming more forefront and the less they engage Abbie to do activities (unless of course, it is for a vlog or someone is paying for them to do it)...
Again, please reconsider your position having this family as spokes people for your agency.
Sincerely
Sam-I-Am

Hope this makes a difference..however they may just care about $$$ and views and not educating the public or being decent parents.

Sincerely
Sam-I-Am

Hope this makes a difference..however they may just care about $$$ and views and not educating the public or being decent parents.

Reactions: 4

You are right but we gotta try.
If we suggest they watch the early vlogs then fast forward to when they moved to the new house, a person with a 6th grade education should be able to see the changes. IMO.
I love love love Sam_I_am's letter.

Reactions: 6
this is exactly, exactly how I feel. 99% of the time I'm willing to give people a break - we are seeing such a condensed, brief glimpse into their lives, so there has be more going on that we don't see. but in this case, I can't believe that Asa wouldn't film Abbie playing with any sensory toys or other toys that engage her, or doing puzzles or sorting games, or any of the other skills she used to work on in the vlogs. all we see is them having paid respite while they do nothing but sit around on their couch. it just really breaks my heart for Abbie and what level of care she should be getting, considering all the opportunities and help available to them.
I followed them from the start and really liked them but as time has gone by I have started to see changes. Asa is so cavalier in his responses to any critcism. Priscilla is so full of herself with the weight loss and bounces about like a Teenager.
Sadly abi has been forgotten on this never ending quest for money

Reactions: 11
I followed them from the start and really liked them but as time has gone by I have started to see changes. Asa is so cavalier in his responses to any critcism. Priscilla is so full of herself with the weight loss and bounces about like a Teenager.
Sadly abi has been forgotten on this never ending quest for money
They say the money will secure her future, and there is some truth to that. It sure helps. At the same time, here and now matters, too.
If Asa took criticism well, he could have had a career in the military or kept a regular job. So I am not surprised he doesn't want to hear it from viewers.
To me they went from creating good, informative content to creating entertainment that pretends to be informative content.
The whole pyramid scheme plus youtube income plus the expensive house is just horrific. They think they are securing Abbie's future, but neither of their jobs has benefits or any semblance of security. If anyone in the family who is not insured or is under insured were to get seriously ill, they could lose everything. I went to college and grad school. I work my ass off at "boring" jobs where I take orders from my boss. In return I know what my income is, have excellent benefits, and if I were to get sick, I wouldn't lose everything and my brother wouldn't lose the help he needs. Sure, I've been riffed in a job and know that anyone can be laid off and companies can fail. But I also got a severance package and have liquid investments to tide me over. I didn't sink it all into a house that might or might not sell quickly with all brand new furniture. I buy used cars and drive them until they die. My furniture was given to me by family or came from IKEA. When I first started watching, they seemed like kindred spirits. They were working and youtube was a hobby. Not so much now.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
They say the money will secure her future, and there is some truth to that. It sure helps. At the same time, here and now matters, too.
Exactly! They have only secured her future in life insurance policies. They don’t understand the here and now, nor what could happen in the near future.I really don’t see the life insurance policies that were written, to ever be paid out:
1-their combined income and assets do not come close to 10% of $10million dollars (which is a huge red flag) and is usually a base line requirement during the writing policy
2-their health has got to stay in top condition
3-Isiah will never have enough money to sue the insurance company, when they fail to pay out
4-that is if that happens.. The maximum life insurance policy you can take out, I believe, is 30 years (it may only be 25, not sure).. Asa and P are 38 years old and that means the maximum age of death would be before the age of 68 years old. Both of their parents are getting up to being that age and in pretty good health... What happens when those policies max out on time limit? No one is going to insure them for millions then...

They have had some of the most horrible advise that anyone could have been given. It sounds like an attorney and insurance agent got together and they will milk them for everything they have because they don’t ever have to worry about paying out on those policies...

Again, definitely not securing Abbie’s future because there is little in the bank accounts and I doubt that they even having a savings account..

• Heart
Reactions: 5
They have had some of the most horrible advise that anyone could have been given. It sounds like an attorney and insurance agent got together and they will milk them for everything they have because they don’t ever have to worry about paying out on those policies...
That and they documented it like it was good advice. I have life insurance through my job and max it out because it costs less than a cup of coffee at Starbuck's (Not Dunkin!) per month. It isn't nearly enough to cover my brother if I were gone, but it would help settle my estate, pay for my funeral and the rest could be added to his trust that we built over the years by working hard, living below our means and investing wisely. Years ago we bought him a small studio condo that he can maintain easily with his monthly income. The money in the trust is for things he needs beyond that. The proceeds of my parents' estate will also go into the trust. P + A make it look like there are shortcuts to the money Abbie will need, when there really aren't any.

Reactions: 6
Just a quick note. I left a reply to a comment and it wasn’t even a bit off colour and it’s been removed. They really don’t show a true picture of what people say in the comments.
I can remember Asa saying it’s not all unicorns and rainbows and we like to show the reality. Hardly , as they remove comments that they don’t like.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The way they live with all the coffee, take out, horrible health habits, and their sedentary lifestyle, not to mention their weights, they will both be at high risk for heart disease, heart attacks, cancer, diabetes etc. even though p had weight loss surgery she’s nowhere near a healthy weight. Assa looks like his man boobs have gotten huge, and added a few new chins. They won’t be around to 68 if they don’t make changes. Maybe that’s what they are banking on?

Reactions: 8
The way they live with all the coffee, take out, horrible health habits, and their sedentary lifestyle, not to mention their weights, they will both be at high risk for heart disease, heart attacks, cancer, diabetes etc. even though p had weight loss surgery she’s nowhere near a healthy weight. Assa looks like his man boobs have gotten huge, and added a few new chins. They won’t be around to 68 if they don’t make changes. Maybe that’s what they are banking on?
Good possibility but I can only imagine the one still living, having to scramble and fight to get the insurance policy to pay up, before they pass, all the while, trying to take care of Abbie and pay on their own policy...
There are no “short cuts in life” and especially with a special needs child. I can only imagine that eventually the house will be sold and they have downgraded back into a house like the rental. The power bill, taxes and upkeep alone, would take Abbie’s modest social security benefits and there would still be a balance owed. Isiah is going to wise up one day and figure out that he can’t keep it up either. He is also going to want that freedom away...
I don’t want to think about what would happen one day, with my own kids but even my true HF Aspergers kid (that hopefully will become a doctor), I would never place on that child, the burden of taking care of another child, currently right at “teenage years” and not potty trained...
It isn’t fair for Isiah and it isn’t fair for Abbie. Isiah shouldn’t be forced to do that care and they should be making sure, the state has systems set up for her and lobbying for changes, if they don’t (which can be done, our state does a “pay follows the individual” and even living at home, their care workers are paid)...

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.