Fathering Autism #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In their drunk podcast they said they were talking about the Corona virus and said they couldn't think of anything that had ever had a similar effect on people wordwide. Guess they missed the day the Spanish Flu was covered in history class and their Google must be broken.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Holy moly, I just saw where they had a tshirt that says "autism princess", available for purchase as merch. I'm not quite sure why ppl think it's cute to glorify autism.
Oh , that’s the one that gets me the most, I can’t stand it. To be fair Abbie is far from princess material.

Abbie is not the face of Autism, nor of a princess, by any means. I've always hated the term princess, it's annoying and tends to put someone on a higher level than others. I can't take that word seriously, esp when they use it.

They have also ruined "sweet girl" for me. I can't say that or use that term any longer without wanting to puke. 🤮

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Great minds, huh!! Seriously it was really disturbing to watch, to be honest! What :m :m :m was expecting Abbie to do is way beyond the scope of what she understands. Abbie is so lost in this video, and although I found humor and disgust in it (because that is how my twisted mind works) 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️at the end of the day, this was not time well spent for Abbie.

I wish those two boneheads would wake up, drop the "typical teen" BS and start accepting and treating her for who she is, not who they want her to be.

I agree!! I wear my hair in a ponytail all the time and it does start to hurt at times....but unlike Abbie, you and I can fix that, whereas that poor kid can't do tit about it. Those two boneheads don't really think beyond their own needs most of the time. 😕
I still think its better than in her face. It doesn't stay pulled back very long anyway. She rocks it out.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think Asa lied about people contacting Isaiah in an attempt to garner more sympathy and deflect the attention off himself.

Also, knowing what we know now.. it's interesting to watch this video of them talking about their ''story''. The way Asa tried to spin things and outright lied about others. Watching P's face looking especially awkward because she knows the truth.

I think you're very accurate in your observations. I think they fit if we're going by the reasoning that Abbie's mentality is that of a baby or toddler. Abbie shares many similar responses and reactions. A toddler is very much present-minded, they think in terms of the here and now. For the most part, Abbie does, too. She does have times of going beyond that but not often and not to a great degree. One example would be when Asa makes the mistake of telling her they're going somewhere tomorrow or on the weekend. All Abbie grasps is "We're going" and doesn't appear to have a concept of tomorrow or the passage of time in that way. She's focused on the present.
I think you're dead-on that A&P tend to give up pretty quickly and don't really attempt to fix something. Not until it becomes so intense that they really don't have a choice but to deal with it. For example, the yelling stim. For years and years they let her do it. Asa would defend it saying that Abbie needs to do it to self-regulate and they would never ever suppress that. That it's wrong to suppress it. He was quite emphatic about it. Cut to a month or so ago when suddenly, apparently due to the acoustics in the new house, Abbie's yelling is becoming way too disruptive and hard to deal with. So, the telling her to go to her room to yell started. They stuck with it for maybe a week or two, then gave up. Until like the past week or so when he showed one time of telling her to go to her room to yell.
I also agree that Abbie would get so much more out of learning more signs, more communication skills and working more on things that she is far more likely to actual be able to or need to do. Brushing her hair, picking up her room, putting her dishes in the sink (without breaking them), maybe carry groceries from the car into the house. Simple things that are at her level and would be beneficial for her. It's very unlikely she is ever going to cook - there is no need to include her in that. I think A or P may have mentioned that Abbie knows how to use the microwave at school. I think that's going to be the extent of her culinary abilities.
The microwave at school is all set up for her. All she needs to do is press the button and yes she does do that

Reactions: 5
Priscilla, I blame you for this...

You and your "lipstick Mama", TikTok drama....

620-EC4-B5-2-D19-410-B-8635-D4429511-BF42.jpg

Have driven me HERE, now this is what I see!!🙈
giphy.gif.cf.gif

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Oh no way I thought that was the bathroom in the kitchen! shows how much I pay attention to them LOL....I will rewatch! thanks :)
Maybe Thummer just jumps in the pool and pees during the night.

Priscilla, I blame you for this...

You and your "lipstick Mama", TikTok drama....

View attachment 107856

Have driven me HERE, now this is what I see!!🙈
View attachment 107860
Its supposed to be the same bright colored fabric in the front too, but they had to add a piece of white fabric to cover the front or it would be even smaller.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Maybe Thummer just jumps in the pool and pees during the night.

Its supposed to be the same bright colored fabric in the front too, but they had to add a piece of white fabric to cover the front or it would be even smaller.
She could easily pee in the pool. Because God only knows what else is in there

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Abbie is not the face of Autism, nor of a princess, by any means. I've always hated the term princess, it's annoying and tends to put someone on a higher level than others. I can't take that word seriously, esp when they use it.

They have also ruined "sweet girl" for me. I can't say that or use that term any longer without wanting to puke. 🤮
Strangely enough, I know two other little girls (one is six, the other is four) who are both autistic and their parents each call them "sweet girl" and "princess". It's very strange to me.

The other thing I've been thinking about and has been mentioned here a few times is how the Maass family are in denial over Abigail. It's pretty obvious, but it's also just really, really sad. There's a lot about this family that bothers me, but I still feel a lot of compassion when it comes to this.

Abbie is 15. Grief isnt a straight line, but it seems strange to me that it's just ignored entirely. Burying it is making it more difficult for them. I feel like I relate to P sometimes (as in I can understand where shes coming from). I believe that she felt close to Abbie and tried reaching out to her many times.

However we can see a lot of incidents where abbie lashes out at Cilla. Some here think maybe that is because she has always been neglectful/ distant, but...

As a mom of two autistic children, who has done all the things to ensure my kids have the care and resources and my time as they need, sometimes kids take their anger out on the more patient of the parents. My husband doesnt receive half the behaviours that I have- despite me being the person that makes them stick to routine, regular meals, and boundaries.

I think sometimes that cilla's distance is after years of being attacked by her daughter. I feel so bad when I see that cilla is afraid of abbie. And I understand it.

I feel very securely attached to my kids. However, back in August, we were preparing to put my oldest in school. They had a program here that would put them in a school setting for four hours a day three days a week. It got him used to the routine, etc.

During this time, my 6.5 yo child, at 40 lbs (I'm 95lbs) would hit, kick, scratch, and if he could, wrap his hands around my neck. I would have to pick him up and move him places when he was melting down because he will hurt himself or others, but in doing that, his anger would turn on me.

This lasted a few weeks, where he would melt down on me and attack like that. I cant imagine that being almost every day. Even at the time, I had to internally decide what my limit was for this kind of thing. He is seven now, 45lbs. He's four feet tall (I'm 5'2", and have POTS).

He is very likely to outgrow me relatively soon. So my husband and I sat down and said, if this continues, when do we decide that he (or our other child) is unsafe to live with? It's a hard conversation. I hope we will never have to go back to it.

Anyway, I'm sort of all over the place but hope I'm being clear. Sometimes it is really hard to discipline these kids- not to say that we never try, but a lot of punishments really dont phase them.

I really hope tho that P and A start really tackling emotionally, with a therapist, about Abbie. Hey Asa, I think that would actually be pretty good content. I want to see you guys meet Abbie where she's at, instead of this weird pretend show that is obviously highly edited.

Really start tackling the IDD. What is affecting what?? I see a lot of abbie in my youngest child. I bet other autist families also have some IDD mixed in there. Help Priscilla start to accept that this is who abbie is. That there isnt anything wrong or less about abbie because of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
A random thought

How the heck does Abbie know how to use an iPad? I've often wondered about this since she has trouble identifying a spoon from a fork (for example)

Reactions: 7
I was looking for the pic of P making those baggies to give away, and found it on FB. Look at this, she actually replied to this as I was reading lol. Too funny! I love how they always try to make it seem as if no one else does anything good in the world.

1586721973066.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I would love to see Asa's own recorded words thrown back at him.
If anyone here has a mountain of time to go through old vlogs, find the ones where he claims promotions won't become regular and also compile a list of products they have promoted with how many times they've actually used/talked about it since.

I'm sure the excuses we'll hear from Asa on this will be highly entertaining.

That being said, I thought I'd share a few more Carly Fleischmann quotes which may or may not give insight into some of Abbie's behaviours. I know some people here are skeptical about what's going on inside of her head. I don't claim to know for certain any of it. So take from this what you will.

Question: Do you understand everything people say the first time? Sometimes it appears you don't understand what you're being asked - is there a lag?
Carly answers: I do understand everything the first time. It's just hard to do what people want me to do right away. I might be standing really still or doing something and it takes time for me to get out of it without me exploding. A lot of times I have fits and people say I can control them but what they don't get is they started them. It takes time for me to switch what I am doing. Even if it does not look like I am doing anything, I am. And when you rush me, I can't help but explode.

Question: Carly, I have a question. Not sure if you could help. But would you know why my 4 year old (who has autism) screams in the car every time we come to a stop light or stop sign? He's fine and happy as long as the car keeps moving, but once it stops, he flips out screaming. An uncontrollable tantrum.
Carly answers: I love long long car rides. It's a great way to stim without doing anything yourself. The car motion, the visual scenery flashing by, it allows you to block out all other sensory imput and focus in on one. My advice is to get a massage chair cover and put it on the seat so when the car stops, he is still feeling motion and not just stopping abruptly. You can even put a dvd on in the car of moving scenery.
I appreciate what you've been saying. But the most important thing I've learned about autism that every single person most likely experiences it differently. I dont mean just different levels of severity. I mean simply overall, individual experiences as to what triggers them, what soothes them, what makes them happy. And most of all, how their individual brains process things. And then you add in their families, their environment....and voila! You've got some huge differences there.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
A random thought

How the heck does Abbie know how to use an iPad? I've often wondered about this since she has trouble identifying a spoon from a fork (for example)
How does she get her shoes on the right feet every time?

Reactions: 7
I just caught the CBD Oil vlog, I hadn't seen it. I'm wondering something here. Help me out please. That vlog was filmed in 2018 and in it, Abbie is just out of control. I mean crying, running, ruining things, taking apartt furniture. And LOUD. At one point her kind father told her that she "sounds like a baby dinosaur.". Nice. Here's my question ; why do we NEVER see that Abbie anymore? I'm two years she is completely better? I'm wondering if she is Whacked out on serious psych drugs or, if he just doesn't film that anymore. If he told her before or after that behavior. Something is not right.

Reactions: 14
I do not believe Cilla didn't put business cards in those packs, she damn sure did! Not only that but wrote Maass family on them, then went on FB to tell everyone.

Priscilla...look up "self serving".

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I was looking for the pic of P making those baggies to give away, and found it on FB. Look at this, she actually replied to this as I was reading lol. Too funny! I love how they always try to make it seem as if no one else does anything good in the world.

View attachment 107873
THEY ONLY REPLY TO THOSE WHO DON'T KISS THEIR FEET. I'M DISGUSTED.

• Heart
A random thought

I may be wrong here but to me using the IPad gets her results. Food, music, an action. Getting a spoon or fork is work.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I just caught the CBD Oil vlog, I hadn't seen it. I'm wondering something here. Help me out please. That vlog was filmed in 2018 and in it, Abbie is just out of control. I mean crying, running, ruining things, taking apartt furniture. And LOUD. At one point her kind father told her that she "sounds like a baby dinosaur.". Nice. Here's my question ; why do we NEVER see that Abbie anymore? I'm two years she is completely better? I'm wondering if she is Whacked out on serious psych drugs or, if he just doesn't film that anymore. If he told her before or after that behavior. Something is not right.
He has said many times he has decided not to film her severe breakdowns. Thats why you only see the hood parts on the videos, even though he knows thats what the people want to see....the bad stuff.

Reactions: 5

View attachment 107873
Can you imagine a nurse coming home and seeing a box of these MLM packets.. in baggies? I sure wouldn't touch them... and I would hope they wouldn't either. I'm sure those most likely got thrown away. They are so full of themselves.. and delusional... This is an MLM technique to advertise.. but at the same time putting hospital workers at risk.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.