Fathering Autism #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Howdy! I’m new here. The FA videos have been coming up in my Facebook algorithm for awhile now and I’ve watched along and did some binge watching — found it genuinely interesting and almost like a car crash at times. I’m sure like most of you guys once did, at first I thought oh what a great wholesome family however I decided to do a google search to see if a forum would come which would settle the weird gut instinct/gut feeling I had. The Asa has rage issues. That can you tell Fattcilla doesn’t give a single duck about Abby— you can genuinely see it in her eyes. She’s just busy shilling her stupid MLM products and I bet with all her heart wishes she had a “normal” daughter to do makeup and girly things with.
Even Isiah who I once thought was a top lad I can see is become the same chauvinistic pig his dad is.. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Speaking of which how the duck did he gain so much weight?!

And in regards to the comment above ^ ayyyy another person from r/IllnessFakers.

I’m sure I’ll have some more comments to make once I finish watching the latest video. Please bare with me!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Okay I've watched a few of these videos where autistic kids get dangerous and violent.
I understand and respect that many people do not like drugs, restraining, or ABA. Some people say it's wrong to stop the swimming, which can be loud or disruptive not to mention dangerous.
So what are you supposed to do?

Reactions: 7
I would think it would have been wiser to place him in a group home or an institution? Rather than have to uproot the entire family.
I’m not quite sure but I think I heard that they had eventually had to do this for his sake and the rest of the family

Reactions: 2
Okay I've watched a few of these videos where autistic kids get dangerous and violent.
I understand and respect that many people do not like drugs, restraining, or ABA. Some people say it's wrong to stop the swimming, which can be loud or disruptive not to mention dangerous.
Stimming...not swimming...lol

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Howdy! I’m new here. The FA videos have been coming up in my Facebook algorithm for awhile now and I’ve watched along and did some binge watching — found it genuinely interesting and almost like a car crash at times. I’m sure like most of you guys once did, at first I thought oh what a great wholesome family however I decided to do a google search to see if a forum would come which would settle the weird gut instinct/gut feeling I had. The Asa has rage issues. That can you tell Fattcilla doesn’t give a single duck about Abby— you can genuinely see it in her eyes. She’s just busy shilling her stupid MLM products and I bet with all her heart wishes she had a “normal” daughter to do makeup and girly things with.
Even Isiah who I once thought was a top lad I can see is become the same chauvinistic pig his dad is.. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Speaking of which how the duck did he gain so much weight?!

And in regards to the comment above ^ ayyyy another person from r/IllnessFakers.

I’m sure I’ll have some more comments to make once I finish watching the latest video. Please bare with me!
Welcome!

Reactions: 6
I think the same thing all the time..I see so many negative about ABA but I wonder what is supposed to be done, if my child was this severe (I do not have a child on the spectrum) but if my child was this severe I would think I would do ABA ...I mean can you imagine if Abby had no ABA? She is/was so wild with it, can you imagine without? I want to know the same thing, what to do just let a child be ? I genuinely want to know and want to be educated

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Following up To my post about the Australian family, I got it slightly wrong. The whole family are moving to a new house and the existing family home is being renovated suitably for the sons needs and he will have live in Carers.
Sorry for the mis information.

Reactions: 6
I found this on Youtube. I could not live with this. I don't know how some parents do it.

My kids are only 7 and 3, but in videos like this and with Abbie sometimes, I see my future. I have days when I feel like I dont know why I bother. (I'm a stay at home mom, husband was working until the virus situation).

You need to separate yourself from feeling like they hate you. Even if that is what they're saying to you. You try and manage the behaviours while they're young and hope to God it doesnt progress.

I rewatched that older video of P struggling with Abbie that was posted here recently. My heart went out to her- P was still being so patient and happy. No wonder she is so detached from abbie- I really believe P tried to be close to Abbie for years.

• Haha
Reactions: 10

The fake smile is a habit. She does it when she’s embarrassed.

Attachments

• Heart
Out of sheer boredom, I've been catching up on the beginning o f Fathering Autism. I'm on #65 and, this is what has completely thrown me- The vlogs from 2017 and before, she is flat out Wild. Her chin is on her chest and she's really out of control. The vlog now is...pretty much the same but, she had facial expressions then. Have you noticed? At a restaurant, she was growling (oh god, I cant...) at her father . Her eyes were expressive and moved over your face. NOw, she is still miserable but, nothing. No expression at all. Her eyes don't move. She just stares. I wonder how doped up she is or, maybe she does understand everything and is just sick of the camera.?
You know what would be the strangest twist you have ever seen?! If there was absolutely nothing wrong with her and it was just a huge show. Now THAT would be something else! She would be one helluva actress. No, but, seriously, I do see what your talking about. I think she has always been out of control but, back then, she was just more predictable. That's what makes it a little scarier nowadays. (How would she even have the mental capacity to know how to growl or what that action or sound insinuates? That is a question I would like answered. You know? When she was growling at her father at the restaurant?)

She scares me. I keep thinking she is going to bash someone in the face and break a facial bone or nose with her wild stiming
Thank you.

Reactions: 9
Purely out of boredom during lockdown here in Somerset I have watched a few blogs from 3 years ago and it really is sad to see what suddenly having money has done to this family. Asa used to be a likeable and caring person - he is now totally obnoxious in all respects. Priscilla was huge but jolly and not at all pretentious and horribly false as she is now. I agree with others that unfortunately Isaiah is fast becoming an Asa clone. As for informative content - I reckon it has gone from 70% to close to zero unless attending speech therapist or similar. Quite honestly nowadays it is akin to watching some ghastly soap series of a family that have won the lottery and happen to have a mentally handicapped child with some autistic traits. Viewers interest in the whole thing is obviously dwindling as per their plateaud subscription figures as sadly Abbie is not an autistic savant and we are not going to see much improvement. My prediction is that their whole world will implode in the not too distant future. Once Isaiah is off to university I fear the stark empty reality of their life is going to hit home as they will tire of their new toys. It should be the time that they could go off travelling as I don't think they have been outside north America, maybe get some of the qualifications they didn't get due to being such young parents, read some books (there does not appear to be any in the house) BUT they can't as they have to look after Abbie. In a way I feel sorry for them as I think they are slowly digging a very big hole for themselves that will ultimately swallow them up...

• Heart
Reactions: 21
You know what would be the strangest twist you have ever seen?! If there was absolutely nothing wrong with her and it was just a huge show. Now THAT would be something else! She would be one helluva actress. No, but, seriously, I do see what your talking about. I think she has always been out of control but, back then, she was just more predictable. That's what makes it a little scarier nowadays. (How would she even have the mental capacity to know how to growl or what that action or sound insinuates? That is a question I would like answered. You know? When she was growling at her father at the restaurant?)

Thank you.

Slowing the thrashing down and adding music to make it seem like dancing.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think the same thing all the time..I see so many negative about ABA but I wonder what is supposed to be done, if my child was this severe (I do not have a child on the spectrum) but if my child was this severe I would think I would do ABA ...I mean can you imagine if Abby had no ABA? She is/was so wild with it, can you imagine without? I want to know the same thing, what to do just let a child be ? I genuinely want to know and want to be educated
Agreed, this is one thing I never see addressed. Both of my kids are autistic. My eldest has a lot of sensory issues- we couldnt go outside, much less to a store with him. We also struggled a lot with getting him to wear clothes and esp shoes. He didnt walk until 2 because of sensory issues in his feet.

This was before he was diagnosed. His legs below the knees were almost completely atrophied. By myself, I massaged and bicycled his legs, and slowly worked on his feet too. According to older autistic people, I guess I should have let him knee walk the rest of his life? Never take him into a store?

I have heard people tell me to just never bring my kids into the store if I know it bothers them. I always ask them, who will shop for my kids when I'm either dead or too old or maybe have dementia?? Food delivery isnt always affordable or available. I need to teach my kids how to be in a store and eventually, how to actually shop and budget. If I dont, I am leaving them to potentially be financially abused.

My eldest used to cry because he couldnt go play with other kids. Play areas were always too chaotic and loud. I guess I should have let him just stay on the outside in stead of teaching him ways to self manage (by taking breaks, etc)

I really, really believe that ABA is a life saver. My three year old now has simple commands and can tell me when he is hurt or hungry. He used to scream ALL THE TIME. A lot like abbie. He would hit and bite. I always knew it was from frustration.

With my 3yo, who was 2 at the time, I told the therapist that verbal communication wasnt necessarily the goal. I did teach him a few signs, but he had a hard time with them. I also realized that most people dont know sign language, so I thought it would be more helpful if he had either pictures to use (picture exchange communication system, aka PECS) and we could eventually move up to something like an iPad.

I guess I should have let him scream it out??? How about the fact that the screaming really upsets/ triggers his older brother? Does one autistic need outweigh anothers?

Both my kids would bang their heads against walls/ floors when really upset. I dont believe in stopping stims normally, unless it hurts themselves or someone else. These had to be stopped and I gave them squishy balls, fidgets, and allow them to jump on the bed. But apparently I should have let them beat their brains out, i guess.

The 3yo also likes to gag himself on occasion. Guess i should let that happen too, as he enjoys the sensation to the point he will vomit. What about how he chews on metal and rocks?? Leave that too??

What about teeth brushing? I have never wanted to restrain my children, but I did have to hold them down for this. I cant just let their teeth rot out??
Anyway, if I sound mad, it's not at you. I have often wondered this same thing. All the therapy happens in my house, I tell them not to promote eye contact and food isnt allowed as either a reward or for them to be denied food or drink. Also no suppressing stims (unless harmful).

Parents have A LOT of say in ABA, at least here (NB, Canada). Most of the time the therapist will come in assuming you want your child to appear "typical". Many parents do, and I think that *is* harmful.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Slowing the thrashing down and adding music to make it seem like dancing.
I wonder if she has done anything like this in the new house and we are just not told/shown..it seems she was more destructive in the old house..unless they just stopped telling people about it

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I wonder if she has done anything like this in the new house and we are just not told/shown..it seems she was more destructive in the old house..unless they just stopped telling people about it
They want us to believe she’s improving.

Reactions: 12

Thank you.
Can someone post the growling video?

After watching the documentary about Gypsy Rose, I did think that about Abbie at one point(back when she was more expressive), but I definitely now know that is not the case.

I don’t want to go too deep on her behaviors but I really am curious to how or why she has regressed so much.

I tried to google idd/autism regression and I can’t find info about it.

I have three theories. It’s a result of not upping her medication, she doesn’t like someone in that house, or she’s suffering from schizophrenia or other mental illness.

• Heart
They want us to believe she’s improving.
Absolutely. It is in my opinion a huge part of their denial of the true extent of her IDD. In addition as they have become more YouTube savvy they are following the tips and recommendations they have picked up at those convention things they went to. It is no longer about autism awareness it is all about hooking the views, maintaining a subscriber base and diversifying in any way possible to keep the brand afloat. Sickening really as I genuinely believed it started out with good intention. Now all FA and the name Maas stands for is crass, tacky exploitation of a subject that in no way deserves such representation..

I feel VERY sorry for Isaiah when he gets to university as he is going to be ridiculed for his fat scootering parents, his mothers horrendous tic tok dancing and all the rest of it. Such a shame as he is obviously bright, sporty and has worked hard to gain a place at what I hope is a good university. People are cruel and I fear he is not strong enough to be able to deal with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.