Fathering Autism #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pinching, biting, kicking is not discipline and it if wasn't meant to hurt...was it meant to be done playfully? Either way I do not think it's a good idea. That is just my opinion. Yours is yours. Nothing wrong with discourse...I have absolutely no issue with someone else's opinion. You seem to have a problem when someone does not agree with you.

I believe Abbie does need discipline like every other child. I just do not believe in physically doing anything like that to her. Doing it playfully, makes her think it's ok to do that. I believe doing it hard (so she can have a taste of her own medicine) will make her do it more. Just my opinion.
It's like if your 5 year old ran up and smacked you in the face. Would you do it back to them just so they can "know what it feels like"? No. Because it would be abuse and also they wouldn't know why you were doing it. Abbie is physically almost 15 years old but as it's been said so many times now - her physical and mental ages do not match up. If they were to do those things to Abbie, she wouldn't sit there and think "This isn't very nice, Mom & Dad must not like it when I do it either." She can't make that kind of connection. As you said, @PhartBlossom, she would probably think it's a game and that it's ok to do it. Not just to A&P or Isaiah, but anyone else, really.

Reactions: 6
In a perfect world fantasy.... Isiah would go to college and find himself. A young man capable of being on his own surrounded by a great group of down to earth friends who teach him that being who he is enough. Then by some miracle he meets his half sister and they become close friends without any parents knowing. Asa and Priscilla are just beside themselves because Isaiah is in a world they are not welcome in. He gets along with them but stands up for himself and forces them by his manner to treat him like the man he is. He starts taking Abbie to college for visits. He and her half sister teach her manners and she learns quickly in her new surrounding with his new friends helping. Her communication skills of signing grows by leaps and bounds. The three Maass siblings collaborate on a Best Selling tell all book. And finally Abbie speaks. Sigh..in a perfect world...

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I believe that was all done for the show. Same thing as her teeth, when I saw the change I knew it was just temporary and they did not actually fix her teeth. In recent pictures you can see I was right about that. All they did was glue some cheap assed veneers on damaged teeth. Her gingiva appears to be diseased as in periodontal disease, I knew that wasn't addressed at all. Everything they did was a quick, fake fix for the show. I would not be surprised if they (show) gave her cocaine.

Reactions: 3
Looks like poor Maverick in the background by the door shares my sentiments, like "Oh here we go again,No. Just NO. PLEASE somebody let me outta here . I can't TAKE this foolishness"
I think he's afraid to get caught in the crossfire between Cilla's ass and the wall.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I believe that was all done for the show. Same thing as her teeth, when I saw the change I knew it was just temporary and they did not actually fix her teeth. In recent pictures you can see I was right about that. All they did was glue some cheap assed veneers on damaged teeth. Her gingiva appears to be diseased as in periodontal disease, I knew that wasn't addressed at all. Everything they did was a quick, fake fix for the show. I would not be surprised if they (show) gave her cocaine.
You may well be right. I didn't watch the show. Only heard about it through gossip. I did see the horrendous pictures of her teeth when I did a Google image search for the first post on the subject. I take it you're the dentist here? Someone (possibly 5fingers5toes) mentioned a user here is or was a dentist.

View attachment 108286
Mama June of Honey Boo Boo fame after her weight loss surgery - before putting back on 50lbs and being arrested on drug charges. If Cilla were only dieting properly and working out.

Both have the same gummy smile and a chin that disappears into fat. I think Cilla was even MORE obese pre-surgery than June was.
Cilla was much heavier than Mama June.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I work at a fire/ems department and we would have thrown them away. I can’t imagine she would even get past the screeners at a hospital now.
We aren’t even accepting home made goodies like we normally do.
First of all thank you for your service 💕
And I agree they probably got thrown away because nothing can come in to any place let alone a hospital...

• Heart
Reactions: 11
No. It may sound bad but, I'm being honest. Having a daughter like her is one thing, it's not her fault. But, her tantrums and really bad attitude is. My daughter knew Please, Thank You,Don't be a jerk, at a young age.
I think Abbie understands much more than people think she does. I think they encourage a lot of her behavior because it makes for good video content which if that is the case makes me despise them even more for doing that to her.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
What PhartBlossom is talking about (the teeth):
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.38.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.15.43 AM.png

I know 2 people personally who had weight loss surgery for obesity, and both lost a ton of weight, sans Cocaine. The only famous example I could think of who physically looked somewhat like Cilla was June. But that turns out likely to not have been accomplished via healthy means. So I take it back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Could you rephrase your question please? :) I think what you're trying to ask is how Abbie could've been better? Well for starters, when they first started vlogging and autistic people started commenting saying what helped and what didn't, they could've listened to those comments. Also not filming her meltdowns and using the puzzle piece and not supporting Autism $peaks. And connecting with actually autistic adults for advice.

And not doing ABA (which I know is a controversial opinion, but only amongst non-autistic people, because for YEARS (and even now!) non-autistic (aka NT) people think that they know more about autism that one who is actually autistic. Therefore they think they can decide which therapies are best etc, yet for years on end autistic people have been saying that ABA is harmful (it causes OCD, PTSD, eating issues, anxiety, depression, etc, eg Carly Fleischmann has said she has this due to her ABA).

Yet NT's try and say 'oh it's not all bad' or 'oh my ABA is gentle' etc. But I have seen even Brandi (who generally seems to be a nice, caring person) not react in the way that you would, eg stopping Abbie from stimming, looking into her eyes too close, etc. There's a reason why autistic people don't become successful ABA therapists, in case anyone is wondering 'oh why doesn't an autistic person try this therapy, since they know what autism is like'. But their understanding of the behaviour and why it's happening and how it can be helped is different to the code of conduct in ABA therapy. Eg one time Brandi was telling Abbie 'quiet hands' when they were out at a donut store and Abbie started getting more and more stressed (imo).

This was because she needed to stim to regulate and calm herself in the busy shop, but Brandi and her ABA practice has ingrained in her that 'noisy hands' is automatically bad and needs to be stopped so Abbie can focus. A$$a and P do this too because of what ABA has taught them. Whereas an autistic ABA therapist (and plenty have tried!) would not have done that because they know why stimming is needed, and instead of just telling someone to not show distress, they would have found out what was causing the distress and changed that, therefore listening to the internal autistic experience, not just the visible, outside behaviours, therefore no distress, but it would've been against what the "therapy" is for, and so they would be forced/pushed to resign.

I know people in this group won't like me writing this, but please read the links I have down below, I didn't even know ABA existed until last year, but I *educated* myself, and I remember deep down, when I watched Fathering Autism, that something wasn't right, that how they were treating Abbie wasn't right, and gave me panic attacks sometimes (like when they restrain her, or when I can see that she's doing something a certain way but people aren't realising what they're doing is probably going to be causing her even more distress, and soon I realised and learned that this isn't normal (or is meant to be, at least).

Often people in general who try to say something is shut down because the OP (in general) thinks they know better, but that's only because of *observation* not *experience*. So people need to read #ActuallyAutistic people's experiences and what the main goals of the therapy are. (Also fun fact: the creator of gay conversion therapy was also the creator of ABA. )And when places call themselves ABA for insurance (apparently they do in the US) then this sucks too because it's (imo) still giving a small positive light on ABA. There's plenty of autistic people and their analysis' of ABA to read, and many other things people can do to help their children that people like the Maa$$' don't listen to.

I also believe this is why Abbie is so food motivated and wants a reward for something, this is another key part of ABA. Many times I've read other member's posts about how it sucks that if Abbie doesn't get what she wants she throws a fit. And yes I agree it's horrible. And her portion sizes are outrageous. But that's probably happened before - using food for a treat - because what ABA does is it uses something you like against you to get something out of you. This is shown in the LANDing Crew's videos where the mom actually stopped ABA because the therapist were trying to use Liam's (youngest kid) dinosaur toy to reinforce eye contact, something autistic people are famous for disliking! A lot of meltdowns autistic people experience can be avoided if the people around them actually engaged with them and tried to figure out/solve the root cause of the problem, not just focusing on trying to change the behaviour.

I'm sorry for my long post, and I probably won't post one this long again, but I just had to say something after not saying much on the matter for months. This is one way the Maa$$' could do better, and autistic people have repeatedly been saying exactly what I just said for *months* if not *years* to them - I'm not saying anything new to them, and they'll probably just roll their eyes or even skim past my post. But I hope some of you will engage in #ActuallyAutistic writings and material (it's not all ABA based btw) because it's truly wonderful and very insightful to read, even if you're not autistic yourself. At least do it for the loved ones in your life who are autistic. x :)

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! (just so you know...when i hit enter, the last couple sentences didnt post...so it ended up sounding rude when I really did not mean to)
You give me lots of insights into lots of things. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 5
He cares more about us and what we say than he does the leghumpers.
I think it's all about proving us wrong, really. He is so wrapped up in creating a show that nobody can argue with that he has forgotten what he said his true mission is......awareness. (Awareness of a condition his kid dosen't really even have.)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I have a question to the moms and dads and caretakers of those with Autism or IDD. How do you discipline a child that has a dual diagnosis?
What works and what doesn't? Because honestly I don't know. I don't have a child with either Autism or IDD. And what happens when the child becomes an adult and can do some serious damage to someone because they are bigger and stronger than when they were a child? How do you live with that safely?

Reactions: 5
I don’t care about Priscillas weight anymore. If she wants to stuff her face with giant steaks, sit on her ass all day, lie about losing, and bust out of unicorn onesies like a can of biscuits, Thats on her.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I don’t care about Priscillas weight anymore. If she wants to stuff her face with giant steaks, sit on her ass all day, lie about losing, and bust out of unicorn onesies like a can of biscuits, Thats on her.
We should use the "bust out the unicorn onesies like a can of biscuits" line in the next thread title. That bit amused me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I do not believe Cilla didn't put business cards in those packs, she damn sure did! Not only that but wrote Maass family on them, then went on FB to tell everyone.

Priscilla...look up "self serving".
I’m willing to bet that her up line is encouraging turn up unload their sample stash & get out there to network.
Thus creating the demand for reps to order more samples & be out if even more money. There is no kindness in this. It is a money grab for potential customers.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I have a question to the moms and dads and caretakers of those with Autism or IDD. How do you discipline a child that has a dual diagnosis?
What works and what doesn't? Because honestly I don't know. I don't have a child with either Autism or IDD. And what happens when the child becomes an adult and can do some serious damage to someone because they are bigger and stronger than when they were a child? How do you live with that safely?
I think that's when the decision to put them in a group home comes up or not. My friends son has severe autism. He is 6'2 and maybe....250lbs. No joke, my friend lifts weights so that she can protect herself. He put a meat cleaver through the kitchen door. He is verbal and he couldn't find his phone so he was positive his mother lost it in a black hole. That sounds funny and I do feel so badly for him being trapped in his head but, I don't go there. He scares me. Regardless of her saying that he is gentle, he has destroyed things.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Another thought just crossed my mind. They probably never pay for Dunkin’ due to being sent endless gift cards. I’m pretty damn sure that local healthcare would love some coffee or donuts rather than old samples. Why not donate their gifted gift cards?

and clearly Abbie wants to play in the flour. Why not create moon sand for her? It will allow her to help & be a sensory activity.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.