Fathering Autism #10 $omeone $ponsor us and help us stay ri¢h!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So if Abbie is never going to talk ... someone please tells me wtf is the purpose of her speech therapy? bleeping A has said it several times himself that she will not talk. I also wonder if she will be able to formulate sentences with her profound IDD.
I do think there are other benefits to it. "Speech therapy" is probably not the most accurate term for the therapy she is getting from these sessions. I look at it as a more specific form of PT. it's getting her to use the muscles in her mouth that she wouldn't normally otherwise engage, which can help with her being able to eat without choking, etc., and teaching her breath control. plus, I'm just in favor of whatever therapies Abbie can get that will actually work with her, opposed to just being left to rock.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Telling Abbie to squat made me just shake my head. My son could do it when he was not even two. He would squat to look at things on the ground. Abbie must be well below 2 years of age mentally.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I do think there are other benefits to it. "Speech therapy" is probably not the most accurate term for the therapy she is getting from these sessions. I look at it as a more specific form of PT. it's getting her to use the muscles in her mouth that she wouldn't normally otherwise engage, which can help with her being able to eat without choking, etc., and teaching her breath control. plus, I'm just in favor of whatever therapies Abbie can get that will actually work with her, opposed to just being left to rock.
If they had been working with her over the past 10 years perhaps it would have some benefit. In some small way.
Leaving her to rock on the couch is far easier than exerting some effort and actually engaging her in some meaningful way.
It's just so sad and f'd up.

Can you imagine what it’s really like at her school for her during the exercise and pledge of allegiance?? I can only imagine her plopping down on the floor, thrashing and yelling while the rest of the kids do these things.

Reactions: 16
I adore those Chicken in the Biscuit crackers also and I avoid them like poison. I love potato chips as well...my real guilty pleasure...but they are my serious downfall.
The beef tips and gravy over egg noodles she made today sure isn't a low carb or healthy meal. Geeesh..

• Sick
Reactions: 9
That is exactly why she needs speech therapy. It isn’t all about learning to talk but about eating and breathing too...

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
If they had been working with her over the past 10 years perhaps it would have some benefit. In some small way.
Leaving her to rock on the couch is far easier than exerting some effort and actually engaging her in some meaningful way.
It's just so sad and f'd up.
oh yes, absolutely!! so many issues boil down to their lack of follow-up at home with these activities and exercises. I think we've all seen that it's easier for them to let her rock than to put in the effort for ten minutes of engagement with sensory toys. still, even if they aren't working with her on these things at home, I'm still glad she at least gets them however briefly at school.

Reactions: 12
That is exactly why she needs speech therapy. It isn’t all about learning to talk but about eating and breathing too...
Ha!
I didn't think of that. Duh. I hear speech therapy and automatically think talking!
That being the case, the fact they left this vital therapy to the school without working with her with any consistency (apparently) speaks volumes.
Eating without choking and breathing are 2 extremely important things!
Most people and parents would not take this lightly and would be working with their kid every opportunity they had!
If those hambeasts are THAT lazy and irresponsible, something is clearly wrong.
IMO.

Reactions: 10
Telling Abbie to squat made me just shake my head. My son could do it when he was not even two. He would squat to look at things on the ground. Abbie must be well below 2 years of age mentally.
I think its amazing that she can walk.
There is a disconnect physically just like there is with verbal speech.

Ha!
I didn't think of that. Duh. I hear speech therapy and automatically think talking!
That being the case, the fact they left this vital therapy to the school without working with her with any consistency (apparently) speaks volumes.
Eating without choking and breathing are 2 extremely important things!
Most people and parents would not take this lightly and would be working with their kid every opportunity they had!
If those hambeasts are THAT lazy and irresponsible, something is clearly wrong.
IMO.
They said in that video thats why they have to toast her bread...because the rest of us use our tongue to loosen food from the roof of our mouth. She doesnt know how to do that. That scares me to think about as an adult. Seriously, that isnt a learned behavior, that is something that we do naturally, even kids...its scary and sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Schools in Fl will be closed at the least until April 15. How long does anyone here think this homeschooling charade will last?

While she does need physical excercise each day,would t working on her iPad,adding more words be a much worthy goal? The pledge bit was a hit much,but am sure they want to convey to the viewers just how patriotic they are and how they have been good little doobies in following all the mandates.( am sure it’s all because it’s what Abbie does at school)🙄
I can’t watch the “cooking” vids any more. My stomach flips when I see the concoctions.
I get Isiah has to be in the house w them, it am surprised he hasjust ( as most typical teens do) holed himself up in his room,headphones on,playing vid games to stay away from it all.
Today seemed like a”let’s cram it all in” day to impress someone. I also know they are trying to keep up those vids cause they need the cash flow. So for the next 2-3 weeks,the camera will be going at full tilt,using every product they can on air to get noticed.
As to the title of his channel,yes,agree he is NOT Fathering Autism,but Fathering Abbie-who has autism. She is not autism..she is a human being.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I looked up ST w/ IDD individuals the other day. A ST was working w/ a non-verbal 4? yr old & explained how important mimicking was in order to begin the process of speech. She had a little toy camera & toy video camera & was encouraging him to push the same buttons she was pushing & also hold the camera up like she was. Maybe Assa can start teaching her w/ his many cameras. Then she can break them. 😋

I found it... (maybe he is 3?...so focused tho/Abbie is not)

• Haha
  • Heart
Speech therapy still sounds useless because again, I don’t understand why they’re working on this just now? I know she’s had it at school but if it’s to help her use the muscles in her mouth, sounds like it should have started when she was a child. All I saw was Abbie working to get snacks. She’ll do anything for snacks but is she retaining all this tit? No

But yeah, guess it’s great for them that they get an hour or so without her.

Reactions: 7
I wonder what her MRI’s show. Does anyone have a link of a extremely distracted autistic person on YT they can share? Someone else who is constantly looking around nervously & super impulsive. (Is her paranoid?/hallucinations even typical of ASD?) It’s a shame ADHD meds don’t help her?
I went to find a video of James(he also has severe autism, I actually think Abbie interacts more than him) but there are no videos of him looking around or being super impulsive. One thing I noticed is that in some videos he is watching tv. I’m not sure if Abbie can. As someone else said earlier there is not one thing fits all when it comes to the spectrum. This is why I don’t really want to say Abbie is mainly IDD because I don’t know. I was reading about IDD and they say it is diagnosed as autism in error and vice versa. So who is really to say?

I would actually like to know what is it that makes y’all think she’s IDD? It’s not that I haven’t thought it myself but thinking more about it, I don’t even know much about IDD.

I watched this video for reference and I’m still confused.

Have you guys noticed the fish bubble sounds overplayed on the last video? I had to mute it because I just cannot take that sound.. wonder why he has started that?
Im not sure what overplayed is and I haven’t watched either vlog today(they annoy me), but yeah I noticed there is emphasis placed on that stim. I think he did something to the audio to make it noticeable. Fans say it’s their favorite stim and they call it cute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Schools in Fl will be closed at the least until April 15. How long does anyone here think this homeschooling charade will last?

While she does need physical excercise each day,would t working on her iPad,adding more words be a much worthy goal? The pledge bit was a hit much,but am sure they want to convey to the viewers just how patriotic they are and how they ha e been good little doobies in following all the mandates.( am sure it’s all because it’s what Abbie does at school)🙄
I can’t watch the “cooking” vids any more. My stomach flips when I see the concoctions.
I get Isiah has to be in the house w them, it am surprised he has mjst( as most typical teens do) holed himself up in his room,headphones on,playing vid games to stay away from it all.
Today seemed like a”let’s cram it all in” day to impress someone. I also know they are trying to keep up those vids cause they need the cash flow. So for the next 2-3 weeks,the camera will be going at full tilt,using every product they can on air to get noticed.
As to the title of his channel,yes,agree he is NOT Fathering Autism,but Fathering Abbie-who has autism. She is not autism..she is a human being.
The whole home-schooling thing isnt going to last long for anyone, anywhere. Parents who are still working cant monitor their kids to make sure they are actually doing the work, or be there helping out. Our schools have been out 2 weeks and it isnt going well. The teachers cant even keep up with responding to student and parent emails and questions. Many kids do not have access to internet or devices at home to even do online work. Those kids were allowed to pick up hard-copy work, but not anymore because too many people were showing up at the school, and broke the social distancing protocols. The parents of these kids are simply being told to "practice math, read books, etc" no lesson plans or tests, so no grades. Half the students who were doing ok in actual school, are now failing online. There are talks here to simply call it a day, and end the year...if they were passing when the closure hit, they move ahead in the fall.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I went to find a video of James(he also has severe autism). I think Abbie does more than him. But there are no videos of him looking around or being super impulsive. One thing I noticed is that in some videos he is watching tv. I’m not sure if Abbie can. As someone else said earlier there is no one size fits all when it comes to the spectrum. This is why I don’t really want to say Abbie is mainly IDD because I don’t know. I was reading about IDD and they say it is diagnosed as autism in error and vice versa. So who is really is to say?

I would actually like to know what is it that makes y’all think she’s IDD? It’s not that I haven’t thought it myself but thinking more about it, I don’t even know much about IDD.

Im not sure what overplayed is and I haven’t watched either vlog today(they annoy me), but yeah I noticed there is emphasis placed on that stim. I think he did something to the audio to make it noticeable. Fans say it’s their favorite stim and they call it cute.
He puts a mic on her so that is why we can hear it even though she’s not right there ... I find it annoying too.

Reactions: 11
I went to find a video of James(he also has severe autism). I think Abbie does more than him, but there are no videos of him looking around or being super impulsive. One thing I noticed is that in some videos he is watching tv. I’m not sure if Abbie can. As someone else said earlier there is no thing fits all when it comes to the spectrum. This is why I don’t really want to say Abbie is mainly IDD because I don’t know. I was reading about IDD and they say it is diagnosed as autism in error and vice versa. So who is really to say?

Just going on what A&P have stated,she has severe autism with severe developmental issues as well. This was back when they were suing Duval County. If they have divulged further info,I haven’t heard it.

Reactions: 6
I went to find a video of James(he also has severe autism, I think Abbie does more than him) but there are no videos of him looking around or being super impulsive. One thing I noticed is that in some videos he is watching tv. I’m not sure if Abbie can. As someone else said earlier there is not one thing fits all when it comes to the spectrum. This is why I don’t really want to say Abbie is mainly IDD because I don’t know. I was reading about IDD and they say it is diagnosed as autism in error and vice versa. So who is really to say?

Asa has said she is IDD.

Speech therapy still sounds useless because again, I don’t understand why they’re working on this just now? I know she’s had it at school but if it’s to help her use the muscles in her mouth, sounds like it should have started when she was a child. All I saw was Abbie working to get snacks. She’ll do anything for snacks but is she retaining all this tit? No

But yeah, guess it’s great for them that they get an hour or so without her.
From what I've seen, shes been in ST since starting at JSA. Problem is, she was already 10 when she started there. I am not therapist or doctor, but from what I've read, early intervention is critical. But instead, they sent her to public school. Go figure.

Reactions: 9
I'm reposting what I shared in the last thread in regards to Abbie's IDD and autism conditions. Hopefully that will help out.

None of us are medical professionals so, we're basing this on what knowledge we do have of these conditions. I think she has both IDD and autism but she displays stronger/more traits of IDD than of autism. (some of the following is taken from websites online)
IDD refers to 'intellectual developmental delay and/or disability. In simple terms, it can mean that IDD children are much slower in hitting their developmental milestones as well as difficulty achieving them completely. Sometimes this delay is temporary and they eventually catch up. Sometimes it's permanent. Children with intellectual disability learn more slowly than a typical child. Children may take longer to learn language, develop social skills, and take care of their personal needs, such as dressing or eating. learning will take them longer, require more repetition, and skills may need to be adapted to their learning levels. An IDD child has low adaptive ability, which describes the skills needed to live in an independent manner including communication, social skills and self-help skills. IDD can mean difficulty remembering things, being able to master dressing themselves, bathing themselves, inability to connect actions with consequences, behavior problems such as explosive tantrums, difficulty with problem solving, reasoning, and logical thinking. They may have impairment with their motor skills.

ASD or autism spectrum disorder can have a wide range of characteristics and not every autistic person will have the same traits. Sometimes even if they do share the same trait, it's at different levels of severity or intensity. ASD traits can include:
Avoiding eye contact
Delayed speech and communication skills
Reliance on rules and routines
Being upset by relatively minor changes
Unexpected reactions to sounds, tastes, sights, touch and smells
Difficulty understanding other people’s emotions
Focusing on or becoming obsessed by a narrow range of interests or objects
Engaging in repetitive behavior such as flapping hands or rocking
Children not responding to their name by 12 months
Children not pointing at distant objects by 14 months

While Abbie DOES display many autistic characteristics, she displays more characteristics of IDD and more profoundly. The significance of this, why do we keep pointing this out, is that Asa and Pricilla focus almost exclusively on the autism and attribute pretty much all of her traits and behaviors to autism. This is inaccurate and misleading. They're giving the impression that this is what autism looks like when that is not the truth. I'm sure our autistic users on here can give better insights to this.
The other problem with this is that they don't seem to take her IDD into account when teaching her things or handling her behaviors, her needs etc. It's like if someone had crohn's disease and you gave them treatment for someone with diabetes. It's not the right sort of help and she's not going to get as much out of it as she could.
I'm done ranting for now... lol.. Anyone else who wants to add to this or to correct me... please go ahead.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
On the topic of pets, it still pisses me off that they picked up a baby snapping turtle from the side of the road and continue to keep it as a pet.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/freshwater-turtles/

The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission prohibits "taking or possessing turtles from the wild that are listed on Florida's imperiled species list [... and] taking species that look similar to the imperiled species, which include common snapping turtles and cooters."

You can buy non-wild snapping turtles in Florida, but you can not catch &/or keep wild snapping turtles. Why? The common snapping turtle closely resembles some imperiled turtle species especially the alligator snapping turtle.

So, the Maass's owning Squirt is illegal in Florida because he was a WILD caught snapping turtle (especially because they probably don't have a license to do so).
He’s not a snapping turtle, he’s a Florida slider aka red earred slider aka red earred terrapin and he’s legal to have here.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.