Father of Daughters #51 Stop trying to make Clemmie happen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was going to mention his bike ride last night but thought it might have already been mentioned. So here is a man who loves to cycle, cycling for sponsorship. Grrr, I hate people who do this! I have friends who run/cycle/hike and do it every day/week, then throw out the big charity beg. I’m pretty sure I’ve said it before but why don’t people do something useful like collect litter, paint a refuge, something they wouldn’t normally do that helps a charity and is a good deed. I mean it’s like me saying “ok tattlers I’m gonna eat 15 dairy milk today for charity” now if I said I wasn’t going to eat 15 dairy milk a day for 6 months that would be a challenge. The only way I’d sponsor Fod is if he pledge to stop posting his kids on IG!

Maybe it is a secret #ad to boost their sales. When you look at their site they are selling patches that are in the colours of the Ukrainian flag 🇺🇦 and say all proceeds go to charities in Ukraine. Their intent is not to send your own existing supplies to Ukraine, or buy stuff to send yourself rather than through an established charity. They want you to buy Ukrainian branded supplies fir your own use and they give the profits to established charities. Not altruistic, but not as stupid as him. But few are.......

It's a Maidstone based company. The company director is a 25 year old. A previous company he was involved with is in liquidation.

Type one style was only incorporated in April 2021. All a but dodgy but great graphics on the site.

View attachment 1095227
Good work Hatchet. Yeah that’s what I meant about the Ukrainian merch, he’s selling Ukrainian flag patches. And that was my point, what exactly does “all proceeds” mean? It’s such a vague and meaningless “amount” Does it means all moneys? All profits? All money after he’s taken his cut? No, I don’t like this at all! Shameful exploitation of this situations and people with T1

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
It's my understanding from their appeal page (which lacks clarity IMO) that you can:

• donate your own spare diabetic equipment and also powerbanks that they will charge
  • donate money to pay for refrigerated transport of insulin, to make up missing parts for kits, funding emergency transport for diabetics in distress, with any excess going to local groups and charities.
  • buy their Ukraine-branded merch eye roll.
  • find people in need and send the company their details (?!).
  • email the company to obtain a list of "charities involved in the conflict".

If you delve a bit further there's another page with an address at Discovery Park in Sandwich, Kent to send your items and it says don't send insulin without contacting them first, and don't send expired items.

It is a commercial organisation, not a charity, so you can't gift aid money donated. It definitely seems to me like they are using the crisis as a brand awareness campaign for their company more than anything. I'm a believer in any help is better than none, but not if it diverts donations, attention and resources from cost-efficient organisations with economies of scale and supply chains in place, presence all over and a track record of handling medical supplies and providing emergency assistance in war zones. This is a new e-commerce company selling patches and stickers as already noted above. It could be a one-man-band. I'm sceptical, to say the least.

I'm not sure where your screencap came from @Hatchet_job (LinkedIn maybe or something like that?) but that individual has certainly wasted no time updating his bio with his "spearheading" and "huge campaign". I didn't see anything on the appeal page itself about a direct partnership with the Ukrainian government, but I could have missed it. Wonder exactly what sort of partnership the Ukrainian government has entered into in the last few days with an e-commerce sticker company in Kent?

I don't understand the "when the diabetics of the world decide to put your contact information on their supply shipping forms" part. Is it some sort of brag?

This post is too long, sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It's my understanding from their appeal page (which lacks clarity IMO) that you can:

• donate your own spare diabetic equipment and also powerbanks that they will charge
  • donate money to pay for refrigerated transport of insulin, to make up missing parts for kits, funding emergency transport for diabetics in distress, with any excess going to local groups and charities.

If you delve a bit further there's another page with an address at Discovery Park in Sandwich, Kent to send your items and it says don't send insulin without contacting them first, and don't send expired items.

It is a commercial organisation, not a charity, so you can't gift aid money donated. It definitely seems to me like they are using the crisis as a brand awareness campaign for their company more than anything. I'm a believer in any help is better than none, but not if it diverts donations, attention and resources from cost-efficient organisations with economies of scale and supply chains in place, presence all over and a track record of handling medical supplies and providing emergency assistance in war zones. This is a new e-commerce company selling patches and stickers as already noted above. It could be a one-man-band. I'm sceptical, to say the least.

I'm not sure where your screencap came from @Hatchet_job (LinkedIn maybe or something like that?) but that individual has certainly wasted no time updating his bio with his "spearheading" and "huge campaign". I didn't see anything on the appeal page itself about a direct partnership with the Ukrainian government, but I could have missed it. Wonder exactly what sort of partnership the Ukrainian government has entered into in the last few days with an e-commerce sticker company in Kent?

I don't understand the "when the diabetics of the world decide to put your contact information on their supply shipping forms" part. Is it some sort of brag?

Spot on, as per.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm in a bad mood now so I'll come back to his sponsored cycling holiday, but for now:

Are you bleeping kidding me? DO THE ABSEIL FIRST!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
@Axatogrind it was linkedin. He has also advertised a warehouse job on linked in for a volunteer to help in his warehouse supposedly to work on dispatching stuff for Ukraine. Asking for purchases, the proceeds if which will go to a good cause, is unregulated by the charity commission. At the moment money is likely to be better than anything else because it will support established charities with greater purchasing powers.

Reactions: 9
Exactly what you said @Dogmuck re the sponsored bike ride. He’s already said how more than a 5th of the bike ride is in one day (in sunny Majorca I hasten to add!) so that’s the rest of April to do 800km!

He’s also already said how much he bloody loves cycling and uses it as an escape so happy days!

Getting sponsorship used to be about something that was potentially unachievable rather than your day to day hobby! You’d get sponsored as a little kid per length of the (local not in Majorca) swimming pool as the more you did the harder it would be. Or it would be something gross/crazy like sitting in a bath of beans or shaving your head!

Last year a friend said she was going to run a marathon in March, I said bloody hell have you been doing training?!….turned out it was 26 miles in the whole of March so less than a mile a day!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20

The partial quote function on tattle is broken but I didn’t understand the braggy bit, it felt like it was eluding to him having the details of the diabetics of the world for companies interested in buying such a dataset or paying to market towards them? Sounds ghastly tbh.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Sorry guys I know this should go behind a spoiler but…can someone explain this 🐪 toe? I know his dick is on his head but 🤷‍♀️ Wtf? 🤮
Noooooo! I risked my eyesight for another look . Its official - fodders doesnt have any balls . They in clammies bag! Thats a mangina if ever i seen one 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

• Haha
Anyone in the know…his schools admission story. Is this for M? Does this mean she didn’t get into grammar school? My 2 youngest got in to a GS but they sat the tests and then we got the place, it was that simple (I think, it’s a while ago but pretty sure this was our experience). Maybe this is because they were only applying for one specific GS 🤷‍♀️How does it work in Kent? Do the kids sit the test and then apply for all GS in the area and then you have to wait for a place? Or is it possible she didn’t pass her 11+ and they are waiting on state school admissions?

Reactions: 4
Where they live there is more than one GS she could go to so if she passed they would still have to see which one she was allocated to.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
You do the 11+ entrance exam. You're told results . You list your schools on the form with order of preferences If you meet the grammar schools admission criteria with a pass mark you get notified today that you're officially in. If you don't - you get the next school on your list if you meet distance/ other criteria.

I'm officially 8 years out of the loop but that's how it was before.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
You do the 11+ entrance exam. You're told results . You list your schools on the form with order of preferences If you meet the grammar schools admission criteria with a pass mark you get notified today that you're officially in. If you don't - you get the next school on your list if you meet distance/ other criteria.

I'm officially 8 years out of the loop but that's how it was before.
Cheers RainyB and @Runninggirl - this is how it worked for my eldest with state school, we had to list preferences, but because we didn’t live in an area with GS my two youngest went out of area and basically sat an entrance exam at one GS so when they passed that they were in (they did have to sit the 11+ too)
So does this mean M has passed her 11+?

Reactions: 5
As much as the abseil challenge ended up being a complete fraud, his fundraising page starkly showed how few people from his 800k+ followers actually care enough to bung him a few quid. I wonder if this will be the same. Almost 24 hours and he's not even up to £300, from 18 people including his own donation of £30 to start it off. Seventeen people! His target is only £1k and his trip will probably cost about that, more if the family are going.

It's like when the school has a cake sale and you spend a fiver on ingredients and all evening baking cakes, and then they sell the cakes for a couple of quid. I'd rather just donate the fiver?

Here's the link for anyone who doesn't want to click through from his stories (I didn't click through either):
https://cycle.diabetes.org.uk/fundraising/simon1670

I'm done with giving money to adults to do some vanity challenge or participate in their hobby, it's absolute nonsense. It's even worse when it's an influencer who will milk it for content and accolades. Also there needs to be a way to pledge the money but not be obliged to pay if the person doesn't complete the event.

Oh, and if he's doing a hilly 225k in one day then he needs to be out there training and covering some long distances with actual real-life hills, not cycling in front of a screen in his basement. Otherwise he's likely to be a DNF.

Lastly, I'm friends with a very keen cyclist who lives in Mallorca who may well be doing the same event. I'll find out 😆

p.s. Simon WHAT ABOUT THE ABSEIL?!!!

LateDescent.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Cheers RainyB and @Runninggirl - this is how it worked for my eldest with state school, we had to list preferences, but because we didn’t live in an area with GS my two youngest went out of area and basically sat an entrance exam at one GS so when they passed that they were in (they did have to sit the 11+ too)
So does this mean M has passed her 11+?
We won't know either way unless he tells us. Mother of five boys was quick to post her son J's results just after he did his exams. If you pass you really don't have to worry about then not getting a place (unless it's the Henrietta barnett school where only the top 93 candidates are taken from 1200+ applications).

If M has also passed the exam now only they would know already if it's the grammar school she's going to in sep or not.

This was the site I used for my sister:

Not minimizing the effort kids put into exams, but If you already pre select the highest scoring students in maths and English who usually have supportive parents or those who can afford hours of tutoring to help improve exam performance those kids will continue to do well at GCSE level. The same was also said by a teacher of St pauls girls school who annually sends 50+ % of it cohort to Oxbridge. He said paraphrased that it was natural progression.

If the previous one was postponed and if the donors don't want a refund can't it still just be given directly to Damelza or is it held up until it officially takes place again?

Found the article if anyone is interested:

1. SELECT THE BEST

One former Eton master says the school aims to admit the top 10 per cent of students, with Westminster and both St Paul's schools setting the bar even higher. "Oxbridge is looking for the top five per cent," he says, "so there can be a wonderful predictability about it."

Honestly hope he keeps his mouth shut tonight.

In London we also have people and prep schools for 4+ and 7+ exams. 🤪

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
We have friends who son went to one of these - I had to cringe when their 3/4 year old was decked out in blazer, cap and long shorts 🤢 They posted a show and tell video, no lie, it was a power point presentation. I was impressed at how confident , articulate and capable he was but equally quite sickened by the fact he should just be playing in the sandpit/mud kitchen/ water corner or simply walking around aimlessly with a snotty nose, scratching his arse as my 3 year old did. The hand mark on his back was almost visible #pushyparents

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Wow schooling in the UK sounds intense! In NZ we don’t really give a toss about school grades until your about 15 years old. Also, I always thought school results are really only relevant to like family members, why would you share with your followers?

edited to add maybe I’m just showing my social class 😂 I did nanny for a bit for some kids like you described Dogmuck. It’s gross

• Heart
This from Kent County Council says something about receiving offers for Kent secondary school places after 4pm on Tuesday 1 March 2022, don't know if this is relevant or the same as what you've been talking about?

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Wow schooling in the UK sounds intense! In NZ we don’t really give a toss about school grades until your about 15 years old. Also, I always thought school results are really only relevant to like family members, why would you share with your followers?

edited to add maybe I’m just showing my social class 😂 I did nanny for a bit for some kids like you described Dogmuck. It’s gross
It’s only intense if you want to be a parent wanker🤣- no need for 3 year olds to be dressed like they’re at Eton and working on PowerPoint presentations at preschool. Surely you must have these “tiger mom” types in NZ? Here, we have those plus there’s lots of the old money old school types who send their kids to these expensive private preschools and schools almost out of tradition but they are also attended by the new money (think footballers kids/ oligarchs) who recognise that sending their kids to these schools is not just about the education but about being connected. Lots of people I know who attended private school are as thick as mince, it’s clear they were always going to succeed (especially in my line of work because daddy was a judge) because of their family…see Sly as an example of stupid public school boy 🤣🤣🤣. Here in the UK things are still very class based, I know that’s not so much a thing in Oz and NZ. I wish we could take that approach here.

• Haha
  • Heart
All of mine went to prep at 4 - I'm not pushy at all, we just wanted small class sizes and lots of time. I worked in a job which meant most if the fees were paid for us too, we still live in a rented house and haven't been abroad in 5 years so there's LOTS of different ways people choose to educate their kids 😉

Eldest is at Oxford, but she could read by herself before she turned 3 (obviously way before she started school). Totally agree private definitely doesn't equal smart though, plenty in her form failed to even get a single A level (imagine that after 25k a year 🤢).

However, I think for the MOD/FOD brigade it's just another thing they can outsource. They don't exactly seem heavily invested in time spent with their kids. I can't even think when they showed a day at a museum/gallery/arts & crafts at home etc.... Which is the real way to get successful kids 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
It’s only intense if you want to be a parent wanker🤣- no need for 3 year olds to be dressed like they’re at Eton and working on PowerPoint presentations at preschool. Surely you must have these “tiger mom” types in NZ? Here, we have those plus there’s lots of the old money old school types who send their kids to these expensive private preschools and schools almost out of tradition but they are also attended by the new money (think footballers kids/ oligarchs) who recognise that sending their kids to these schools is not just about the education but about being connected. Lots of people I know who attended private school are as thick as mince, it’s clear they were always going to succeed (especially in my line of work because daddy was a judge) because of their family…see Sly as an example of stupid public school boy 🤣🤣🤣. Here in the UK things are still very class based, I know that’s not so much a thing in Oz and NZ. I wish we could take that approach here.
+ can’t help but wonder if for the connected side you need to go to the actually prestigious schools, rather than just your local prep?

We looked at a prep school for our toddler and unimpressed didn’t even cover it. Defs one for the leased Range Rover huns who want the girls from school to see their kids in boater hats when they pop into Nero or go shopping after work/school. Absolutely no substance and no tenable results it was awful. The mad thing was I prepare more detailed models/dashboards/decks for small site changes or product releases at work than they did an entire private primary education? Like lol what?

I think RL said it up thread but grammar / private / even outstanding schools in nice areas (which we have access to atm - not sure when we move) are a self selecting population in that they’ve got supportive/engaged, financially comfortable parents and likely few adverse childhood experiences so behaviour will be better. There are schools in “the ends” eg Tower Hamlets and Newham that do amazingly with high vols of Oxbridge entrants and I’d be more interested to send a child there than somewhere where they’re simply being coached to pass exams? Idk it’s complex and personal and everyone has their own opinions but yeah.

I was going to model different scenarios loool but the difference was so clear I didn’t need to do anything beyond fag packet calcs - adding the school fees to her savings vs what salary she’d have to earn to out earn the benefit/privilege of that lump sum. That doesn’t even include the risk of them flopping or the estimated value of financial security versus having to work a high paid job for 30 years. I think it’d make sense for these schools to consider house deposits as their biggest competition tbh 😳

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.