Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
It was an absolute godsend!

Felt very strange and disconnected from my body for the first 2 weeks or so, but didn't have any side effects after that. Really helped me to not sweat the small stuff and I suddenly felt like problems that had seemed insurmountable before were easily solvable.

I would say that if you're on any antidepressant and want to stop, please always speak to you're GP first as you will gradually need to be weaned off. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4

aidil

VIP Member
My dose has just been increased from 50 to 100. Spoke to the nurse at the doctor and I was honest and said I still don’t feel like I’m coping (I’m a lone parent, with a toddler who doesn’t sleep and isn’t very well - long term. He’s also got a slight speech delay), and I’m just permanently stressing and it’s worsened my PND.

Bit scared of the increase tbh.
I moved up to 100mg after a month on Sertraline and I’ve not looked back! I was still worked up and not sleeping well on 50mg and then the clouds just lifted after the dose increase. You might get a bit of emotional blunting initially but it improves after a week or so 💕 Stick it out! I hope you feel better soon lovely x

• Heart

aidil

VIP Member
I’m constantly sweating since I started on the meds, wake up every morning drenched too! It’s so gross but I‘m still willing to put up with it to have a clear head.

abelleza

Chatty Member
For me the 50 to 100 jump was a game changer. 100 agrees with me and makes a big difference. It took about six weeks after the increase to settle. But it was so worth it. Stick with it and I’m sure you will feel so much better soon! X
---
Also… I’ve been on it for a year now. I don’t want to come off it. I didn’t think about it until a physio I saw made a comment about how a year on it is a long time. Now I’m wondering?! But my doctor never said I need to come off it so I’m personally thinking I never will.
Sorry but physios know nothing about medication, least of all anti-depressants and should not be commenting on what you take. This is highly unprofessional and tbh this physio should be reported, they should stick to their job and not try and play doctor. A year is not a long time to be on sertraline, for some people depression and anxiety is a lifelong condition. If you had a physical condition they would not say a year taking medication for it is a long time. I wonder how they would feel if you came off that medication and became suicidal. There is research to show how long you should take certain anti-depressants but you should either do that research yourself or ask a doctor OR just go on how you feel, NOT listen to a physio.

• Heart

swimming

VIP Member
My dose has just been increased from 50 to 100. Spoke to the nurse at the doctor and I was honest and said I still don’t feel like I’m coping (I’m a lone parent, with a toddler who doesn’t sleep and isn’t very well - long term. He’s also got a slight speech delay), and I’m just permanently stressing and it’s worsened my PND.

Bit scared of the increase tbh.

• Heart
I've been on sertraline 100mg for coming up 6 years now. Honestly don't know how I'd have got through life and the pandemic without them. Was on Propranolol for 6 months but they gave me the worst anxiety so recently came off them. I've been toying with the idea of lowering my dose for a while but scared of living without them now.

• Heart

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
I hope you do. I have no plans to ever be taken off it which is a massive U turn for me as I was alway dead against it for myself. Never others which is typical isn't it. I would rather be on it for life than feel as I have done my whole life.
Reading this made me feel better as I have also been thinking I never want to stop taking mine. If I was lucky enough to ever be pregnant obviously I’d have to, but the chances of that are slipping away, and other than that I have zero desire to try life without medication again. It makes me sick to think how much of my life and energy has already been used up feeling sad and worried.

The couple of close friends who know I take ADs have said things (in a very well-meaning way) like “well hopefully you’ll only need them for a short while” and I used fo feel that too, but now I’m like girl, you can prise them out of my cold dead hands!

unidentified

VIP Member
What a difference the 100 has made to my head. I feel like I finally have clarity. However, I have noticed that I am really struggling to orgasm. I can feel really turned on but get frustrated that I just don’t feel that pleasure. Sorry I know a lot of info.

TapToBoreMeRigid

VIP Member
I was sweating like a pig at night for 12w on 50mg. I'm now on 100mg and only sweating a couple of times a week. Anyone else experienced reduction in sweating despite an increase?

I'm desperate for this to help with PTSD, OCD/anxiety etc. I feel completely joyless. I don't look like me in the eyes anymore. Please let this medicine work.

Sending love to all.

• Heart
  • Sad

bowiethesdmn

VIP Member
I've been on Sertraline for around three years now (early 30s woman) and it's been a lifesaver. Others have noticed a difference and personally I've noticed that I'm more able to assess things before reacting, my fight or flight doesn't kick in in tough situations, and I have a buffer where I can feel the anxiety is gonna kick in, take note, and stop it. Almost like a fan getting up to speed then stopping again.

However, this is like the fourth SSRI I've tried since I was 15 and the others would have put me right off them. I also have friends who have been on Sertraline and it's affected them badly, my wife included.

I did hit a plateau with my dose half a year ago and ended up doubling it. Interestingly I didn't feel the full effects of that til I messed up my script and suffered withdrawals for a few days. Soon as I got back on it I was a different woman. Side note, if you've never had withdrawals from SSRIs, try not to. Doctors seem to downplay it but it is not a fun time. Easily dealt with through tapering and not stopping cold turkey though so hopefully that doesn't put anyone off trying if they feel they need it.

edit: my issues were mostly with constant background anxiety, rumination, and OCD. It has taken all these down to manageable levels and it's such a relief (full disclosure: the OCD also required six months of CBT alongside the meds)

• Heart

unidentified

VIP Member
For me the 50 to 100 jump was a game changer. 100 agrees with me and makes a big difference. It took about six weeks after the increase to settle. But it was so worth it. Stick with it and I’m sure you will feel so much better soon! X
---
Also… I’ve been on it for a year now. I don’t want to come off it. I didn’t think about it until a physio I saw made a comment about how a year on it is a long time. Now I’m wondering?! But my doctor never said I need to come off it so I’m personally thinking I never will.
This drives me bonkers. Some people are on it for a short amount of time because it’s been to help with a short term situation. Others need it for life and that is ok. No other medication is questioned like SSRI’s. A year is not a long time anyway because they say six months to start really. You feel they’ve changed your life and make a difference then you continue!

• Heart

Rolypolymmm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just wondering because I've always had trichotillomania but I feel I have a lot less control of it since I have started the tablets.....maybe because I'm more relaxed and less alert to when I've gone too far

• Sad

JSquared

VIP Member
I want to come off the sertraline.
I don’t know if it’s making me feel more miserable tbh.
I ache all over everyday, I sweat a lot, I feel cold, my bones ache, I have zero energy to do even the most basic of things, I have a short fuse & get very frustrated over the most silliest of things.
I never used to be like this before. I thought maybe it was the flu but this has gone on a few weeks now.
I just want to feel happy & content 💔😢
Speak to your doctor. It could be that Sertraline isn’t the one for you and there could be an alternative if needed.

elloelloello

VIP Member
Thank you so much to all those that have replied to me. I’m going to make an appointment.
I felt the exact same as you, if you look back a few pages. I can’t remember exactly when I started taking sertraline, possibly in November? Not sure, but anyway, I’m on the lowest dosage, the side effects were pretty bad for a while but they have all subsided now and I feel the best I’ve felt in years.

I was thinking to myself the other day god I haven’t cried or felt too anxious in ages, then I realised I haven’t even had any extreme intrusive thoughts in ages. It’s like a huge dark cloud has been lifted from above my head.

I hope everything gets better for you soon, it’s the best decision I’ve made getting help ❤

• Heart

itsnotmereally

VIP Member
I’m three days into my increase from 50-100. I feel a little numb, have a terrible headache and just sleepy.
Life is tough at the moment and every day is a struggle. Without Sertraline I’m not sure how I would have got through the last couple of months.
Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

JSquared

VIP Member
Two weeks in to my prescription of Sertraline. Due to move to 50mg tomorrow, after starting on 25mg. First week I feel numb, very cloudy headed but now feel loads better, much happier and less anxious/paranoid.
Worried about the weight gain aspect but will start an exercise regime in the new year to hopefully help that.
My anxiety is definitely easing barring one night where I was awake all night convinced someone was going to break in to my house (don’t listen to true crime podcasts before bed, kids 😅)
So far I’m really glad I started taking it, but will monitor how I feel/any side effects

HoneyBee29

VIP Member
thank you, did you find you still have really bad symptoms or were they okay if you don’t mind me asking ?x
---

can I ask what symptoms you had if you don’t mind?

Also if someone could tell me how soon the symptoms start that’d be great. I have really bad anxiety especially health anxiety.

what I will say though, headaches, restless, bad sleep, lack of appetite and brain fog i experience now so I suppose it can’t be that much different 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
I’ve been on 100mg for a year now but started on 50mg at first was on it for about 6 months before and then upped the dose. The only side affects I really had was fatigue, and a bit of a headache and sweating. I’m on it for depression & anxiety. My side affects didn’t worsen when I increased tbh but the only side affect I can’t stand is the sweating especially in the summer months. Also used to take it in the morning but now I take it at night as I found taking it during the day it made me really tired and drowsy I take it at night about an hr before bed, but some people it keeps them awake if they take it at night, affects everyone so differently.

• Heart

swimming

VIP Member
I’m thinking of asking my gp to put me back up to 100mg. I’ve gone from 50 to 100 and now back down to 50 (3 weeks ago) and I thought it was working but I am noticing I am more panicky, feeling nauseous, crying more etc etc. I only switched from 100 to 50 because I could not handle to extreme sweating. I feel it’s a catch 22.
I’m just feeling so overwhelmed and a bit frightened by life! I’m a lone parent to a 2 year old boy and my day starts at 5am at the moment it’s all just a bit much

• Heart

aidil

VIP Member
I feel like I’m constantly napping right now and have zero energy after a day at work! I’m wondering if my vitamin D levels have taken a hit with the darkness and that coupled with the meds are making me a zombie 😬