Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering if anyone else has been prescribed setraline and what their experience has been. If they found it helpful and how do you know when you are ready to reduce your dosage and maybe come off them?

There's also a longer standing thread on mumsnet called Setraline buddies in the mental health section.

Personally I didn't like the side effects I got and stopped taking it before I was on it for a full month. I have reduced my medication dosage on another antidepressant, but this was done relatively slowly and because I felt like It also wasn't working and the SE weren't worth coping with.

Are you currently seeing a psychiatrist or a GP- I would recommend talking to them first about any changes you want to make just to be on the safe side and not to stop cold turkey . I remember it was the smaller dose changes towards the end that I had the most trouble with than the slightly bigger gaps at the start.

Reactions: 1
I am taking sertraline, I started on 50mg, went up to 100mg after 7/8 months as my mental health started declining again. I have been on 100mg for a year now.
It has made a huge difference and has improved my life massively. The first 2 weeks were tough- increased anxiety and I had restless legs- but after that it started getting easier.
I can’t comment on coming off of Sertraline, but on 2 occasions I have forgotten to take it for a few days in a row and I felt awful- headaches, dizzy. I took citalopram years ago and when I came off that it was awful. I agree with the above poster, see your GP before reducing any dosage as it’s not recommended to go cold turkey, you need to gradually cut the dose down.

Reactions: 7
I was on this for around 9months. I was on a high dosage but found it did help me. I had a few side affects. Such as sickness but I worked out if I took it after I had eaten I was fine. I knew when I felt ready to come off them. I know it sounds silly but you do just know. To come off of them it has to be controlled as you can't just stop taking them straight away. Speak to your dr about any concerns. My dr was really helpful. I have been off of them for a year and a half now. I still suffer with anxiety and depression but I've learnt to cope with it better. If you can see if you can get referred for therapy also on the NHS. I had this a few months after as felt I was slipping back and felt if I went back on the pills I would of failed myself X

Reactions: 6
I've been on for about 4 years now I'd say? I started on 50mg, for a year and a bit, and then my mental health dropped again due to work and increased it to 100mg, and then since August, I've been on 150mg. When I first started taking them (at 50mg), my doctor told me to take half a pill one day, then the rest the next day and do this for 7 days so to help my body get used to them, and then take one pill a day as instructed. The only side effects I had were the shakes, feeling a bit sick, and general restlessness.

I definitely feel the difference in myself when I forgot to take them for a few days and people around me notice too. There has been one time when I decided to try and come off them, by going cold turkey (did this without discussing it with my doctor, lol) because I was doing therapy so felt like I had enough support in place to handle it all. I swiftly back on them after 2 weeks. I have a pretty good handle on my depression/anxiety ut the only way I can describe it, and hopefully, you're a Harry Potter fan to get the reference. But when I was off them, I felt like a dementor was sucking the life and soul out of me but when I'm on them, I feel like I'm using the Patronus charm to keep the dementors away; they're still there, but I'm controlling them.

I have no shame being on them, I have no real side effects because is the headache due to not drinking enough water, work, covid 19 or stress or the pills? Who knows lol I always think of it like that. I think I will always be on some sort of anti-depressant for life, but who knows! I have no real plan of coming off them anytime soon and I'm ok with that :)

I would also speak to your doctor first about gradually lowering your dosage and weening yourself of them. And I think "knowing" when to come off them, it's a personal choice really. Cliche but I think you'll know when the right time is

xx

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I was on it for a while. Stay safe in the sun as I got the worst sunburn whilst on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just wondering because I've always had trichotillomania but I feel I have a lot less control of it since I have started the tablets.....maybe because I'm more relaxed and less alert to when I've gone too far

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I absolutely hated it. I would have the most disturbed sleep and I could never orgasm. The cons outweighed the benefits for me in the end!

Reactions: 5
I'm on 50mg sertraline. Started taking it back at the beginning of summer. Was on 20mg citalopram before this. I haven't noticed many physical side effects. It has definitely, 100% helped my anxiety and depression though! One thing I would say is that it makes me feel numb. It's hard to explain but I don't ever seem to feel happy or excited, on the flip side of that my lows are fewer and far between.

It gave me drug-induced hypomania. Ruined my life. I'm not bipolar either so it was unexpected I didn't even realise anything was wrong.

• Sad
My daughter is currently on 200mg and it’s been really good for her. She started on 50mg and she had some nausea,shakes, headaches to begin with but the soon wore off. There not a magic fix by any stretch but they’ve really helped her manage much better the she was before she started taking it

Reactions: 3
I was on sertraline for a little while. Only on 50mg.

I just felt ready to come off if, I don’t really know how to describe it. All of the reasons why I went on them didn’t feel as worrying anymore and I just didn’t order my repeat prescription.

I felt dizzy for about a week if I moved too quickly but then was fine and my anxiety hasn’t come back so far ☺

Reactions: 2
Just wondering if anyone else has been prescribed setraline and what their experience has been. If they found it helpful and how do you know when you are ready to reduce your dosage and maybe come off them?
I was on it for about 18 months, after a sudden bereavement and work was horrendous. I was worried about side effects but aside from really vivid dreams, they didnt affect me too much when I started out on them. I didnt seem to benefit very much from them, and although I dont know what I expected, I now feel no different without them. The Doctor told me I was depressed, they gave me Sertraline and sent me on a stress management group 🤔 I hope they work for you- I know some people have really benefitted from antidepressants.
I came off them after speaking to ky GP - they just said reduce the dose but they didn't seem really sure 🤷‍♀️ Be warned tho - the 'brain zaps' when you come off them, I cant quite explain them, but they're wierd and a little unsettling, but apparently its completely normal. I also had the dizziness. Good luck 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Sorry I know this is about sertraline and I know a few people on it who seem fine with it but I was put on fluoxicilin not sure if spelt right 😂and I seem to be the only person I know on it, what are the difference between them if anyone knows?

I was on it for maybe about 9-12 months last year. Came off it myself as I felt I was gaining weight even though my eating habits hadn't changed. I'd not had that side effect with any other antidepressant before and I hated it as I have a history of eating disorders. I just didn't think it was worth it to risk going back to all that again. I tried to taper off it but got fed up and just went cold turkey in the end. Found it the easiest one I've ever had to withdraw from, just dizziness but no brain zaps, etc. Worst by a mile to come off was Venlafaxine. Worst starting effects was Fluoxetine which was unbearable and I actually thought I was dying. The Sertraline experience itself I found similar to Citalopram. Both did pretty much nothing for me.

Sorry I know this is about sertraline and I know a few people on it who seem fine with it but I was put on fluoxicilin not sure if spelt right 😂and I seem to be the only person I know on it, what are the difference between them if anyone knows?
Do you mean fluoxetine (Prozac) or flucloxacillin, which is an antibiotic?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just wondering because I've always had trichotillomania but I feel I have a lot less control of it since I have started the tablets.....maybe because I'm more relaxed and less alert to when I've gone too far
My partner is on setraline, has been for 2 years and helped save his life. he has just lowered his dose, he felt he was ready to do this because he hadn’t had any ‘down’ days for a long time, and coped really well with it. In the beginning the side effect were awful but apart from that it’s really helped him.

On a side note, I too myself have trichotillomania and I pull so much in the evenings when I’m relaxed, I’ve found being in lockdown that I’m doing it throughout the day more 😩 too much time on my hands

I hated it, made me sleep 24/7. Fluoxetine worked a lot better for me.

Antidepressants have such a wide range of side effects and every person reacts differently to them, it can take a few tries before you find the right one for you but it’s definitely worth sticking with it until you figure it out!

I've been taking medication for both anxiety and depression for the last 10 years. Currently taken Sertraline 200mg daily, been on Sertraline for maybe the last year give or take. I've never had to wean myself off before starting anything new, I started on Fluoxetine then I was on Vensor. The fluoxetine gave me vertigo like symptons. Vensor was great but I did notice my weight increased and that was the only reason I tried something new.

My weight is still an issue but I can't blame it all on meds, they def give me a bigger appetite but I guess it's down to me what I put in my mouth. There was a time 5 years ago I decided to come off medication, I was happy and settled. A tragic accident happened and my partner at the time passed away. I could cope with life but I couldn't cope with that and I went straight back on meds. I think it's a mental barrier for me now. If I stop taking meds I think something awful will happen.

The things I've noticed about Sertraline. I sleep so much more than I did before, at any time of the day I could lay down and sleep. I always seem to be tired. When I'm falling over to sleep my body jerks which never happened me before. I find it very difficult to cry, ever just feel like you need a good cry? Before a sad ad or song would have made me cry but now I can't seem to. My heart will still feel heavy but no tears, I find it strange.

My friends and family tell me they have noticed a change in me also. They say I'm a lot calmer, I don't get angry as easy. Now it takes a lot to get a reaction out of me. I would have been very impulsive before and I used booze to self medicate. I had no fear because I didn't care what happened to me. Thinking about how I was makes my heart heavy because I put myself in so much danger. I do still take a drink but I don't drink to get drunk and even on the rare occasion when I do get drunk I just want to sleep. I haven't figured out if this is down to the meds or maturity.

Everyones journey is different. It's only your opinion that matters. Don't give anyone the power to make your decisions!!

DO YOU!!! 💕💕💕

• Heart
Reactions: 8