Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello, new to this thread and new to sertraline. On 50mg. Is it better to take on morning or nighttime and why? Thanks

Hello, new to this thread and new to sertraline. On 50mg. Is it better to take on morning or nighttime and why? Thanks
I took mine in the morning because it caused insomnia as a side effect for me

Reactions: 2
depends on your side effects. I take it with my evening meal cause I didn’t want to deal with nausea or sweating in work.

I tapered off over a few weeks and still feel awful. My head feels like it’s full of air and I’m so nauseous, how long does withdrawal last?

I've always taken mine in the morning, with breakfast. Some people report that it makes them tired, but I've never had this issue.
---
Does anyone else suffer brain fog?
Yes! Quite severely but I wonder if it could be due to perimenopause or something else going on.

I have been on it for about 2 months now and so have I
I don’t think it showed up that quickly for me so it took a while to correlate it. I was stuck eating gluten free and following the restrictive FODMAP protocol for several months. Since stopping the medication, I’ve been able to reintroduce many, many, many foods.

I am actively trying to eat serotonin promoting foods now. I also keep red meat to a minimum because it’s bad for my mental health but it’s proven necessary for certain aspects of my physical health. Sugar, also, exacerbates my mental health.

I don’t feel 100% all the time but for most of the day I feel okay.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I don’t think it showed up that quickly for me so it took a while to correlate it. I was stuck eating gluten free and following the restrictive FODMAP protocol for several months. Since stopping the medication, I’ve been able to reintroduce many, many, many foods.

I am actively trying to eat serotonin promoting foods now. I also keep red meat to a minimum because it’s bad for my mental health but it’s proven necessary for certain aspects of my physical health. Sugar, also, exacerbates my mental health.

I don’t feel 100% all the time but for most of the day I feel okay.
I already had mild ibs so I’m quite familiar with my bowels 😂 I’ve never had an issue before as it’s usually only triggered by stress. I now almost tit myself when I drink orange juice and eat gluten 🙃

I already had mild ibs so I’m quite familiar with my bowels 😂 I’ve never had an issue before as it’s usually only triggered by stress. I now almost tit myself when I drink orange juice and eat gluten 🙃
So I used to have ulcerative colitis and one would think it put me more in tune with my stomach but it did not 😅 😂 Thankfully that has also gone with changes to my diet. I first developed it in 2016 when I moved out of my family’s home and began cooking for myself. I was avoiding preparing animal protein like the plague. Not anymore though - now I get excited to cook new types of meat. I’ve done a complete 180!

You know another thing I’ve noticed which I’m wondering if others have too, my taste buds changed.
I can tolerate anything really sweet now and artificial sweetener is disgusting to me. I have a crate of Pepsi max in my house that I haven’t touched cause it’s rank

Another thing to watch for is indigestion / heartburn / reflux ... I increased my dosage for a few weeks during a rough period (in consultation with my doctor, who thought it would be a good idea) ... it not only made me feel worse, but the heartburn was ridiculously bad. I ended up being prescribed something to take alongside the Sertraline, the side effects for which gave me a headache. I've since scaled back to my original Sertraline dosage and after a couple of weeks the heartburn has reduced.
---
You know another thing I’ve noticed which I’m wondering if others have too, my taste buds changed.
I can tolerate anything really sweet now and artificial sweetener is disgusting to me. I have a crate of Pepsi max in my house that I haven’t touched cause it’s rank
Is that because these things taste acidic to you? If so, yes that is something I definitely noticed when I increased my dosage.
---
If it makes you sleepy - and assuming you don't work night shift - take it at night.

It doesn't make me sleepy, so I take it in the morning along with breakfast. Maybe it's just thought over matter, but I feel like taking it in the morning sets me up for the day ahead.

Everyone is different, so it's a case of finding what works best for you.

Another thing to watch for is indigestion / heartburn / reflux ... I increased my dosage for a few weeks during a rough period (in consultation with my doctor, who thought it would be a good idea) ... it not only made me feel worse, but the heartburn was ridiculously bad. I ended up being prescribed something to take alongside the Sertraline, the side effects for which gave me a headache. I've since scaled back to my original Sertraline dosage and after a couple of weeks the heartburn has reduced.
---

Is that because these things taste acidic to you? If so, yes that is something I definitely noticed when I increased my dosage.
---

it might be. I think I’m going to have to go back down to 50mg because I also got indigestion, I had to be prescribed lanzoprazol which has done nothing. My stomach is also in agony. It gripes everyday now

Hoping someone can help with this!

I was on 100mg, from 50 and then back down to 50 and the balance was okay.

howvere this past week I STUPIDLY let myself run out of tablets and then couldn’t get to the pharmacy.

got them now and started taking one again last night after approx 4/5 days without any.

I am really suffering today and I don’t know if it’s a delayed withdrawal or something.

I am SO short tempered. Stomach feels like I’ve been donkey kicked, no appetite or desire to eat. Walking so slowly I’m like a tortoise and occasionally feeling faint and dizzy. My stomach is in bits too. And my toddler is pushing every single button in my well-being he can find. I just want him to go to bed so I can sit on the sofa in silence just staring at the wall spaced out.

hoping these things will go away once the medicine has worked it’s way into my system again. But I hate this

edit: I also have crazy restless legs and feel that cold shivery sensation when you’ve got a fever and cold

• Sad
Hoping someone can help with this!

I was on 100mg, from 50 and then back down to 50 and the balance was okay.

howvere this past week I STUPIDLY let myself run out of tablets and then couldn’t get to the pharmacy.

got them now and started taking one again last night after approx 4/5 days without any.

I am really suffering today and I don’t know if it’s a delayed withdrawal or something.

I am SO short tempered. Stomach feels like I’ve been donkey kicked, no appetite or desire to eat. Walking so slowly I’m like a tortoise and occasionally feeling faint and dizzy. My stomach is in bits too. And my toddler is pushing every single button in my well-being he can find. I just want him to go to bed so I can sit on the sofa in silence just staring at the wall spaced out.

hoping these things will go away once the medicine has worked it’s way into my system again. But I hate this

edit: I also have crazy restless legs and feel that cold shivery sensation when you’ve got a fever and cold
Sounds like your body is struggling to adjust to going cold turkey for a couple days, straight back onto 50mg tablets.

I was on sertraline back in 2021 (no longer on any form of SSRI anymore as it turns out I am not depressed, I have BPD :rolleyes:) and I would just immediately KNOW if I had forgotten my meds the day before.

If this happens again where you run out, when you start taking them again, cut the tablets in half for a few days and take a half dose. I had to do this several times with various diff SSRIs just to get my body accustomed again

Reactions: 2