Ex - Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I must admit, I do enjoy an pizza style thing made with an egg white base (I don’t think this is a SW thing, I don’t know how many ‘syns’ an egg is lol) as a snack. But I actually enjoy it, and it’s a snack not a meal, and it helps me hit my protein goal as veggie without resorting to overpriced protein bars or gross shakes. Also I don’t try and kid myself that it’s an actual pizza or tastes just as good!
I find it shocking how little weight SW put on getting a decent amount of protein.

Reactions: 6
I'm SO lost, I started Slimming World when I was 16, stopped when I was 26 (lost 4st, gained 2 back). Started WW when I turned 28. I'm about to turn 29 and I cannot go into my 30th year still obsessing over food and my weight etc. I know I've had binge eating issues in the past, brought on AFTER SW but I do now feel in a good place. I'm just so stuck with WHAT to eat, my brain is so jumbled with syns, points, good, bad etc. I just wish I could flick a switch and not be bothered by food, just eat my breakfast and get on with my day.
Basically my point is, how do I move forward and just have a healthier lifestyle where food and dieting doesn't consume me???
I would look into therapy, to be honest. I felt very much the same of you and after a year of eating disorder treatment (for binge eating disorder) I was able to address a lot of these issues. It takes quite a while, though. I'm two years in and my eating habits are generally much better, but I'm not ready to attempt dieting/restriction. When we're really suffering, I think we have to focus on health rather than weight.

Reactions: 3
While I was putting the shopping away just now I remembered avoiding glasses of fruit juice like the plague because of syns. Look how terrified they made of it a measly 65 calories. Yet I could shovel as many mullerlight down my throat before they added a tiny syn value to them
EA2BEAA9-5A8D-4F4D-8F8C-9772EE01AB6D.png

F414BF4B-7E23-4171-985E-DB3E989D16AF.png

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Happy Easter to those who celebrate it. Just think, if you were still in SW you’d be spending your weekend making crap like this.

D03D14AC-63BE-4916-AE6A-175598DB33E5.jpeg

I bet that still has the same calories as a normal hot cross bun yet without the taste.

But of course you can still treat yourself and stay on plan with these delicious desserts.

3E467DF6-30ED-4C68-B16A-D4A16F7D41B7.jpeg

Mmm yummy what’s in them?

CB222F23-950D-4C64-894A-BCE64767E244.jpeg

Blimey you get a whole mini egg on each one? I’m not sure I could manage that.

Predictably, all the other Easter recipes were around roast dinners with everything cooked in frylight for that crispy chemically flavour.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Some SW insta Easter creations for us all to be thankful it isn't us
(Decending order from typical SW hun to demonic)
Screenshot_20230409-111152_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230409-111606_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230409-111310_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230409-111628_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230409-111422_Instagram.jpg

And this is just so disordered its tragic
Screenshot_20230409-111357_Instagram.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
It the same with a packet of crisps - they are only about 126 cals, about the same as some of the "healthy bars" but treated them like they would cause mayhem with your weight.
Just had a crisp and cheese sandwich for about 400 cals which is my normal lunch time count.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My SW food diaries were more of a fiction than Moby Dick. When anything is forbidden or naughty - and lots is, for all PR guff they talk - it becomes more attractive and you'll rebel and binge. The only thing that works is eating a bit less, limiting the crap and moving more. We all know what to do, our sedentary lives/desk jobs just don't encourage it.

Its a bit soppy and sappy but the 1st step is loving yourself whatever size you're at and thinking about nourishing your body. As women we live in a unique point in history, bombarded with bodies sculpted with gym memberships, surgery and air brushing. Some of these images are simply not real. We'd have all been great beauties 200 years ago purely for having our own teeth. Say no to self loathing. It only works.
---
Those sets of Options hot chocolates give me flashbacks like a Nam veteran. A little library of sorrow.
---
And as lots of you have already said beware of unqualified Insta self-appointed gurus. Lots of them are just lying shits whose bodies are down to tummy tucks, lipo and the Colombian marching powder.
---
Suprised GP didn't offer your Orlistat to be honest, they seem to like offering it.
See a different GP next time OR ask to be referred to a dietician.
GPs aren't dieticians and if you talk to enough of them about your weight you'll find they all suggest different things anyway.

I've had GPs suggest the fast 800 diet before. One suggested Atkins (this was years ago), one suggested batch cooking healthy casseroled like it would be something i'd never heard of, i've had one say eating too little calories is bad and another say VLCDs are no longer considered harmful to the obese.
I told one I eat emotionally and she said I need a hobby to distract myself like painting (?!)

I've turned my back on diets for now and i'm using saxenda.
I took Ozempic before and that was good but switched to Saxenda because it's cheaper and easier to get.
I'm lucky enough not to have side effects (i know many do) and I like that it shuts off my appetite and all my cravings. Gives me inner peace strange as it is.
The lack of cravings allows me to keep to a deficit very easily and I eat what I want without worrying about macros, syns or whether its a 'healthy' food or not.
Understand not for everyone and people should weigh up the possible side effects but just sharing my experience.
Orlistat made me shart my jarmies at 4 in the morning. I am yet to do a more dejected commute to the bathroom.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm still in an old SW group, I've never been deleted but it reminds me to never get back how I was. There's some new crumpet thins which everyone was excited about but they don't count as healthy b as they aren't wholemeal, no hun but they are 61 calories so get one down you if you want one!

• Haha
I'm still in an old SW group, I've never been deleted but it reminds me to never get back how I was. There's some new crumpet thins which everyone was excited about but they don't count as healthy b as they aren't wholemeal, no hun but they are 61 calories so get one down you if you want one!
Sw'ers always go bonkers about any food item with 'thin' in its name or mini
Like when oreo thins came out they were everywhere on insta same with bagel thins.

And that craze where everyone was putting mini jammy dodgers or party rings on their porridge.
I did that once, it was tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I’ve unfollowed loads of people today - so many “cheesecake” eggs (quark mixed with options hot choc in half an Easter egg 🤢)

• Sick
When you're invited for a Easter pub lunch with the fam but you're saving syns for half a small smarties egg filled with mullerlight and sprinkled with 100s and 1000s later on
Screenshot_20230409-205638_Instagram.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Sw'ers always go bonkers about any food item with 'thin' in its name or mini
Like when oreo thins came out they were everywhere on insta same with bagel thins.

And that craze where everyone was putting mini jammy dodgers or party rings on their porridge.
I did that once, it was tit.
I bet someone tried to make jammy dodger overnight oats. Probably with some tit product from that Skinny company that just taste like chemicals.

When you're invited for a Easter pub lunch with the fam but you're saving syns for half a small smarties egg filled with mullerlight and sprinkled with 100s and 1000s later on
View attachment 2089077
Hun you can eat all the roast you want! Fill up on those delicious free foods and protect your weight loss. Gravy? You want GRAVY eww no that’s syns because we say so.

Reactions: 5
Hun you can eat all the roast you want! Fill up on those delicious free foods and protect your weight loss. Gravy? You want GRAVY eww no that’s syns because we say so.
Could always have mushy pea gravy! Triple the calories of granules but its ✨syn free✨
Screenshot_20230409-221055_Instagram.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Honestly surprised that blending mushy peas doesn’t mean they suddenly have syns.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Honestly surprised that blending mushy peas doesn’t mean they suddenly have syns.
I feel the only thing that stops them synning blended veg is they'd have to syn soup.
Its stupid because you could use the you drink more bananas in a smoothie than you'd eat logic with potatoes or parsnips in a soup.

also baffling how if i put sliced banana on my porridge after microwaving it syn free but if I microwave them together its syns.

Are all these rules really made my nutritionists as they claim, because some of them sound like they came to Mags after a few too many bucks fizz on her yacht in the spanish midday sun

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I feel the only thing that stops them synning blended veg is they'd have to syn soup.
Its stupid because you could use the you drink more bananas in a smoothie than you'd eat logic with potatoes or parsnips in a soup.

also baffling how if i put sliced banana on my porridge after microwaving it syn free but if I microwave them together its syns.

Are all these rules really made my nutritionists as they claim, because some of them sound like they came to Mags after a few too many bucks fizz on her yacht in the spanish midday sun
I remember making Fanta chicken that sort of tastes like sweet and sour chicken, but I couldn’t cook the pineapple or that’d be syns so I’d quickly add it at the end and hope it didn’t get hot enough to count as being cooked! 🙈

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I remember making Fanta chicken that sort of tastes like sweet and sour chicken, but I couldn’t cook the pineapple or that’d be syns so I’d quickly add it at the end and hope it didn’t get hot enough to count as being cooked! 🙈
I did this too 😂

Reactions: 3
I was making our roast yesterday thinking of all the things I’d be trying to do to get around oil and butter etc on SW that would essentially ruin it but it would still take me 3 hours to get it on the table!

Remember once making pinch of vom Yorkshire puddings that used water instead of milk and the most minimal amount of flour. They were awful. Then the syn free gravy and roast potatoes sprayed to duck with fry light 😩 and cauliflower cheese made with fat free yoghurt! Urgh!

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.