Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tabitha D

VIP Member
I know George Michael got 'caught' in an LA toilet years ago (he even released a song about it)but equal marriage and relationship rights, granted didn't exist then, but do now.
Also, George Michael in that video was dealing with the incident with humour. A bit of humour might have made a difference to Olly’s effort. (Although George could also sing, so there is that).
That video was 1998 too - 26 years ago.
And Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s Relax was 1983 (41 years ago!).
And yet Olly somehow thinks he’s “edgy”.

Reactions: 16

Rosie glow

VIP Member
I honestly must have heard a different song to the voters thought Switzerland was crap
Whole show was disappointing tbh boring hosts boring interval and getting 0 points 🙄

• Haha
He was awful and imagine being beaten by a deranged woman screaming 😊

Bambie was appalling too and I just can't see any appeal whatsoever. Her witchy act looked like a college drama project. The screaming was horrible and the song completely unmemorable shit. Add to that her incomprehensible ramblings in interviews where she pretended to be edgy activist 🙄 but sounded a kid complaining about her teacher at school.
It's mad to think Bambie is 31 years old. Acted like a child.

londongirl2001

VIP Member
By the way, this time the juries can’t even be fully blamed for an audience favorite not winning. Yes they gave a lot of points to Switzerland, but they weren’t that far ahead. If audiences (!!) hadn’t awarded Israel over 300 (!!!) points, Croatia could have easily taken this. It’s the televote that messed things up this year. Though I do like the winner a lot, I’m sad because Croatia really turned around the mood in that venue and really would have been a worthy winner too.

• Heart

Grifty Mc

VIP Member
I've seen some posts challenging the contestants for not boycotting. Please think about this before further abusing them:

Respectfully, I know how the Eurovision works from both the broadcasting and artist side very well and believe me when I say - when these artists win their national final they're presented with a heavy binding contract which has them locked in to perform on behalf of the broadcaster. This is quite literally your last chance to decide if you're in or out. For example Bambie Thug would've signed this contract way back in January - back when it was highly anticipated that Israel would not be allowed compete (remember that) . It's impossible to get out of the signed contract unless you've the money to buy out. This is why you're hearing them say things from today like 'now that I'm free, F**K the EBU...' .

Most (not all) of the artists involved in Eurovision are independent artists who hope a chance on the Eurovision stage will give them a shot at getting their work out there globally and to get a record deal is the ultimate goal. It's a HUGE opportunity. Bambie has spent the last two years sofa surfing in London trying to build a career. The people who called for them to boycott have no idea what they're actually asking them to do. Not only ruin any chance of having a career it would mean severe financial ruin because the EBU will sue RTE for not following their contract and RTE will sue the artist. Bambie kept saying they were going to use their platform to speak out on Israel and they delivered. Every single time. They went so close to the line of being disqualified themselves (knowing the devastating consequences) in the name of speaking out. What more can you ask of them? The conflict is not their fault, there are loads of celebrities not speaking out. To put yourself out there like that so early and inexperienced in your career, is incredible brave. They were the most vocal of all the contestants. I am in awe of their intelligence and confidence. EBU confirmed Israel have broken rules but they still haven't replied to say what the consequence of what that was. Up until show time everyone hoped they'd do the right thing and finally remove Israel from the competition. Which should have been done from the start!

And now because Bambie has been locked into a contract yet chose to speak out, Israel have made them one of the prime targets for abuse and threats by their online campaign (you'll all have noticed the bots flooding the comments gathering thousands of likes). It's a terrifying position to be in. Bambie and team have enough on their plate trying to protect their mental health without their own people ganging up with the Israelis on them.

Joost, Nemo, Marina and a few others are the targets too* I just know more about Bambie.
---

It's ridiclious what they're getting away with. All because they pump money into the contest, a blind eye is turned.

FYI incase anyone is unaware - advertising for votes is strictly not allowed in the competition.

Between the boycott and the paid campaigns this is exactly how Israel rigged the public vote.
Hi Bambi 🙃😉

• Haha
Don't know about your algorithms but based on my tiktok and songs trending there, France won 😂
I'm glad France is getting some love. I thought the part where he stood back from the mic and just sang on his own was absolutely stunning.

Sometimes the simple stuff (much like when Duncan Lawrence won) really stands out and is very impactful.

Normally I don't tend to enjoy the standard French ballad that they like to send but they knocked it out of the park this time.

• Heart

LadyV

I remember thinking Estonia's song was really catchy, and a favourite so far, though I can't remember it now as it was so early in the night. The dance was great too. Shame they didn't place higher!

Reactions: 15

Sunlifeover50

VIP Member
I feel sorry for some of this year’s contestants- I know it can always be a bit political but this year has been insane. They must be waking up this morning thinking wtf, I think it will take a few of them a long time to process.

I think next year will be as hard to navigate. Do they ban Israel? Will Switzerland really want to pay €ms to host an event thats potentially a security risk. Who will want to represent their country after seeing how this years been handled? Well probably end up with Katie price at this rate 😂

• Haha

londongirl2001

VIP Member
Croatia were robbed. The Swiss have been lumbered with the circus next year.

Glad our shite entry got what it deserved in the public vote.

Also, glad Ukraine didn't win otherwise the BBC would've spunked our licence money yet again
UK hosted because they came second. I don’t think they would have been asked to host again.

TheArtisticMouse

Chatty Member
I feel like a lot of posters here have only been watching Eurovision for the last 3 years or so 😂 I say that as a veteran watcher since Gina G was our act - THAT was a stand out entry!

• Heart
  • Haha

Kakan

Chatty Member
The ABBA holograms are seriously creepy.
I agree. I had planned to go to London and see them this summer but after seeing them at ESC I just gonna invite friends and have a dance-to-Abba-party at my home instead. But I don't understand that some people thought that Abba would show up and perform live, it's been 50 years! They nearly 80 years old today and not in form to sing live and dance around and too clever to do a Madonna, singing live at ESC showing millions of people that ooops Queen of Pop can't sing live anymore. Everyone that heard Madonna sing at ESC a couple of years ago knows what I mean. Or do a Johnny Logan, that was also painful to hear.

There are lot of things that made this years ESC not as good as it was in Stockholm 2016 and apart from a lot of countries sending clown shows with like fools riding around on one legged goats blowing trumpets in a fire while witches screamed instead of just sending a normal song and those are:

1. Israel. I skip all the politics but think that Israel could have thought of the safety of others and stayed at home. Instead of fun and joy Malmö felt like a besieged town with cops everywhere and snipers on rooftops. We had to borrow cops from Denmark and Norway to keep the safety because we don't have that many cops in Sweden. I was at ESC in Stockholm 2016, at that time the cops showed people the way from the tube to the arena or just hanged around chatting to people ore ate ice cream because they had nothing else to do. It was so fun, everybody was glad and friendly and it was safe as it should be. This year we didn't get tickets and felt as it turned out that it was better anyway to stay at home. I was really scared something awful would happen. Also a lot of artists that should have performed in the ESC-village outside the arena and on the show jumped off in last minute because of Israel.

2. The hate against Sweden when we won last year. We love Eurovision and we love the Swedish Mello, the competitions to get an artist to send to ESC. It takes us six Saturdays and those shows and ESC are always the most watched telly shows in Sweden. We are very proud over our music and over little Sweden being a big music exporter. So all the hate and the conspiracy theories that Sweden just won because it was 50 years ago that Abba won, not because our song was good, made us very sad and made ESC loose a bit of it's charm.

3. The right wing fools
The last election in Sweden the conservative did not win but took the power with the back up from The Sweden Democrats (SD), a nationalist and right-wing populist party that origin from nazists (something they desperately tries to hide nowadays). SD hates public service which means less money for SVT (telly company) to spend on Mello and ESC. They like many other nazi-morons in Europe rallied their moron-followers to vote like mad for Israel. That ballad from Israel would not have got 12 points from Swedens public a normal year. So thanks right wing nazi-morons, you destroyed the politics in my country, the public service, you have made me really fear for the future since you seems to love war and dictatorships and don't care about the climate changes and now you destroyed ESC.

4. SVT letting Loreen show her arty side
Loreen have actually competed three times in Mello. The second time she had an arty song with an arty performance trying to make some kind of statement. She did not made it to the final since the voters was hell no! You sing a song like Euphoria or you go home! And that is was SVT should have told her when she wanted to do an arty performance, hell no! You stand up and sing Euphoria and Tattoo or you go home!

5. Hate in general
A lot of artists this year had to close their social media because they couldn't take more hate. A Norwegian paper called Marcus and Martinus for the Quisling brothers because they competed for Sweden instead of Norway (Quisling was a Norwegian nazileader betraying his country taking Hitlers side during WWII sending thousands of Norwegians to death and that is why people betraying their countries are called a quisling) and I think that was a bit to much. It's a music competition ffs! It's meant to be fun and loving bringing people together having a good time not the start of WWIII.

• Heart
Even olly saying he’s going to make the song the gayest ever was a bit condescending/patronising, as if that’s all he needed to do to win it. And it didn’t work…
I honestly believe if the staging hadn't been so dirty (meaning the room not the dancing) it would've done better. It was just so grimey.

Next year we should just send Barry Scott with a crate full of Cillit Bang.
---
What hell?
This is why I ended up as Dustin the Turkey in that Eurovision quiz... It explains a lot ;)

• Haha

strawb

VIP Member
sadly i think this was the last year watching the eurovision for me. even with 12 points from almost every jury for switzerland, we had the most points from the televote (with quite a huge difference from switzerland). marko deserved to win and he has been so humble and gracious. he is my winner ❤

• Heart