Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
and for The Ukraine.
Is just ‘Ukraine’. Hasn’t been ‘The Ukraine’ for over 30 years.
---
Both Israel and Azerbijan should have been banned this year.
If I remember correct Belarus was banned because they were going to use a propaganda song so I’m not sure why Israel was allowed to compete because their original song was highly political? Unless it’s because Israel changed their song?

I've seen some posts challenging the contestants for not boycotting. Please think about this before further abusing them:

Respectfully, I know how the Eurovision works from both the broadcasting and artist side very well and believe me when I say - when these artists win their national final they're presented with a heavy binding contract which has them locked in to perform on behalf of the broadcaster. This is quite literally your last chance to decide if you're in or out. For example Bambie Thug would've signed this contract way back in January - back when it was highly anticipated that Israel would not be allowed compete (remember that) . It's impossible to get out of the signed contract unless you've the money to buy out. This is why you're hearing them say things from today like 'now that I'm free, F**K the EBU...' .

Most (not all) of the artists involved in Eurovision are independent artists who hope a chance on the Eurovision stage will give them a shot at getting their work out there globally and to get a record deal is the ultimate goal. It's a HUGE opportunity. Bambie has spent the last two years sofa surfing in London trying to build a career. The people who called for them to boycott have no idea what they're actually asking them to do. Not only ruin any chance of having a career it would mean severe financial ruin because the EBU will sue RTE for not following their contract and RTE will sue the artist. Bambie kept saying they were going to use their platform to speak out on Israel and they delivered. Every single time. They went so close to the line of being disqualified themselves (knowing the devastating consequences) in the name of speaking out. What more can you ask of them? The conflict is not their fault, there are loads of celebrities not speaking out. To put yourself out there like that so early and inexperienced in your career, is incredible brave. They were the most vocal of all the contestants. I am in awe of their intelligence and confidence. EBU confirmed Israel have broken rules but they still haven't replied to say what the consequence of what that was. Up until show time everyone hoped they'd do the right thing and finally remove Israel from the competition. Which should have been done from the start!

And now because Bambie has been locked into a contract yet chose to speak out, Israel have made them one of the prime targets for abuse and threats by their online campaign (you'll all have noticed the bots flooding the comments gathering thousands of likes). It's a terrifying position to be in. Bambie and team have enough on their plate trying to protect their mental health without their own people ganging up with the Israelis on them.

Joost, Nemo, Marina and a few others are the targets too* I just know more about Bambie.
---
Did you guys see this? I’ve never seen promo like this before in all
My years watching the contest lol they had her speaking every language
It's ridiclious what they're getting away with. All because they pump money into the contest, a blind eye is turned.

FYI incase anyone is unaware - advertising for votes is strictly not allowed in the competition.

Between the boycott and the paid campaigns this is exactly how Israel rigged the public vote.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I've seen some posts challenging the contestants for not boycotting. Please think about this before further abusing them:

Respectfully, I know how the Eurovision works from both the broadcasting and artist side very well and believe me when I say - when these artists win their national final they're presented with a heavy binding contract which has them locked in to perform on behalf of the broadcaster. This is quite literally your last chance to decide if you're in or out. For example Bambie Thug would've signed this contract way back in January - back when it was highly anticipated that Israel would not be allowed compete (remember that) . It's impossible to get out of the signed contract unless you've the money to buy out. This is why you're hearing them say things from today like 'now that I'm free, F**K the EBU...' .

Most (not all) of the artists involved in Eurovision are independent artists who hope a chance on the Eurovision stage will give them a shot at getting their work out there globally and to get a record deal is the ultimate goal. It's a HUGE opportunity. Bambie has spent the last two years sofa surfing in London trying to build a career. The people who called for them to boycott have no idea what they're actually asking them to do. Not only ruin any chance of having a career it would mean severe financial ruin because the EBU will sue RTE for not following their contract and RTE will sue the artist. Bambie kept saying they were going to use their platform to speak out on Israel and they delivered. Every single time. They went so close to the line of being disqualified themselves (knowing the devastating consequences) in the name of speaking out. What more can you ask of them? The conflict is not their fault, there are loads of celebrities not speaking out. To put yourself out there like that so early and inexperienced in your career, is incredible brave. They were the most vocal of all the contestants. I am in awe of their intelligence and confidence. EBU confirmed Israel have broken rules but they still haven't replied to say what the consequence of what that was. Up until show time everyone hoped they'd do the right thing and finally remove Israel from the competition. Which should have been done from the start!

And now because Bambie has been locked into a contract yet chose to speak out, Israel have made them one of the prime targets for abuse and threats by their online campaign (you'll all have noticed the bots flooding the comments gathering thousands of likes). It's a terrifying position to be in. Bambie and team have enough on their plate trying to protect their mental health without their own people ganging up with the Israelis on them.

Joost, Nemo, Marina and a few others are the targets too* I just know more about Bambie.
---

It's ridiclious what they're getting away with. All because they pump money into the contest, a blind eye is turned.

FYI incase anyone is unaware - advertising for votes is strictly not allowed in the competition.

Between the boycott and the paid campaigns this is exactly how Israel rigged the public vote.
Hi Bambi 🙃😉

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Aw I love this!!! This is what it's all about!! 🩷🩷

The postcards were really tit this year too, they gave us nothing. The Irish one looked really cool but gave no context. Disappointing. I love learning new things about the different countries.
Part of the fun of postcards is actually learning about the host country, their traditions, their food, showing off unusual places.
This year was budget postcards, in fact the whole thing seemd budget

• Heart
The title card also looked very cheap. It was more like the screen they put up when there are technical problems! I guess though, where does the security budget come from?

Reactions: 6
Bjorn (or was it Benny) announced they couldn't be bothered. Which is fair enough..
This. People saying they should have been there etc, when last year Benny said that it wouldn’t happen. They didn’t lead anyone on. I thought the ‘tribute’ to them was rubbish though

Reactions: 9

---

I will have to disagree with you that they did what the could. Bambi did nothing on the night. I'd rather silence from them then trying to make themselves the victims. It shows a lack of awareness for the severity of the situation that people are rightly upset by. You choose to preform so preform, if you want to make a statement, make a statement. It's this bitching and moaning and doing NOTHING that annoys the tit out of me. It's so performative and weak.

People claimed Olly was getting death threats but the articles that they shared didn't say that. I read them, got annoyed at how entitled he came across and then got jumped on for saying I had no sympathy for him. I have no sympathy for him, people are dying and people are justified to tell him that they won't support him.

He said: "A lot of the contestants and myself have been having a lot of comments that are like 'You are complicit in a genocide by taking part in Eurovision' which is quite extreme. It's very extreme."

That's not death threats.

Also regarding voting, not only has their been mad advertising campaigns but there is this too:

• Wow
Reactions: 4

---

Poland also had a paid campaign for votes? Almost all the nations additionally had their twitter accounts promoting their act. That’s not rigging.

Also regarding voting, not only has their been mad advertising campaigns but there is this too:

This happens literally every year for different acts. This and the amount of times I’ve seen I’ve borrowed my mums phone to vote 20 times too/got my auntie in Berlin to vote 20 times/texted 20 times on my other SIM card over on X, along with alliances to vote for home acts etc. Nobody complains that’s rigging so neither is this just because this time it’s happening for an act people didn’t want it to benefit.

ETA: completely agree on Bambie though. I think she wanted the votes from people who are pro-Palestine and wanted the head pats but didn’t have the guts to put her money where her mouth was. Which to me is a lot more crappy than up front saying “I don’t want to comment, I’m not going to make a statement”. Even if they’d disqualified her I don’t agree with PP it would have been disastrous, it’s a song contest. She’d have made her statement and it’s not like she won anyway, she was gutted to come after Israel. Disqualification having made her point would surely have been vastly preferable if she felt like she claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Maybe I'm not the only one super impressed by the satellite/lazy Susan performance. I like the song it had moments of James Bondesque theme. It not sure he should have one compared to other acts but I didn't mind him winning based upon his singing.

The last performance "rave", the one with the silver thigh boots was one of the worst of the night.
Olly was exceedingly terrible - the song, the singing, the grubby performance.
ABBA holograms were pointless addition.
(So was the Malins MIL joke - and if that was her highlights of choreography contribution, um let's not showcase them!)
I know we're not expecting folksy music, but I love it when countries sing in their own language and reference their heritage be it musically or dance wise.

Reactions: 8
Maybe I'm not the only one super impressed by the satellite/lazy Susan performance. I like the song it had moments of James Bondesque theme. It not sure he should have one compared to other acts but I didn't mind him winning based upon his singing.

The last performance "rave", the one with the silver thigh boots was one of the worst of the night.
Olly was exceedingly terrible - the song, the singing, the grubby performance.
ABBA holograms were pointless addition.
(So was the Malins MIL joke - and if that was her highlights of choreography contribution, um let's not showcase them!)
I know we're not expecting folksy music, but I love it when countries sing in their own language and reference their heritage be it musically or dance wise.
The ABBA holograms were weird and pointless.... they should have sang not had a weird chit chat using them... So odd

Poland also had a paid campaign for votes? Almost all the nations additionally had their twitter accounts promoting their act. That’s not rigging.

This happens literally every year for different acts. This and the amount of times I’ve seen I’ve borrowed my mums phone to vote 20 times too/got my auntie in Berlin to vote 20 times/texted 20 times on my other SIM card over on X, along with alliances to vote for home acts etc. Nobody complains that’s rigging so neither is this just because this time it’s happening for an act people didn’t want it to benefit.

ETA: completely agree on Bambie though. I think she wanted the votes from people who are pro-Palestine and wanted the head pats but didn’t have the guts to put her money where her mouth was. Which to me is a lot more crappy than up front saying “I don’t want to comment, I’m not going to make a statement”. Even if they’d disqualified her I don’t agree with PP it would have been disastrous, it’s a song contest. She’d have made her statement and it’s not like she won anyway, she was gutted to come after Israel. Disqualification having made her point would surely have been vastly preferable if she felt like she claims.
I will have to disagree with you that they did what the could. Bambi did nothing on the night. I'd rather silence from them then trying to make themselves the victims. It shows a lack of awareness for the severity of the situation that people are rightly upset by. You choose to preform so preform, if you want to make a statement, make a statement. It's this bitching and moaning and doing NOTHING that annoys the tit out of me. It's so performative and weak.

People claimed Olly was getting death threats but the articles that they shared didn't say that. I read them, got annoyed at how entitled he came across and then got jumped on for saying I had no sympathy for him. I have no sympathy for him, people are dying and people are justified to tell him that they won't support him.

He said: "A lot of the contestants and myself have been having a lot of comments that are like 'You are complicit in a genocide by taking part in Eurovision' which is quite extreme. It's very extreme."

That's not death threats.

Idk I get that, and you can think he’s entitled (a lot of people often do when they see public figures complaining/crying) but I still feel extremely bad for him, I feel bad for all the contestants and the hate they’ve received AND I also feel terrible for all the people in Gaza. If people were attacking me the way they have attacked him, I would feel guilty, conflicted and extremely sad. It may have been his choice at the end of the day but we’re all human- rich and famous or not we are all people.

Heck if I got 0 points in the televote I probably wouldn’t show my face for a good week to recover from the embarrassment 🤣 some times things aren’t that deep when you think about it but I can also acknowledge how painful it could feel for the person going through it in the moment.

I had a falling out with a friend on Friday and I am still super down about it. Yes there are people dying in the world but it doesn’t make it hurt any less :( it’s just human nature.
---
This. People saying they should have been there etc, when last year Benny said that it wouldn’t happen. They didn’t lead anyone on. I thought the ‘tribute’ to them was rubbish though
Literally when ever there is anything ABBA related there is always at MOST a video message from I think benny or bjorn?!?! He’s the only one that is willing to even show his face/represent them. They were never performing again together and definitely not at Eurovision 🤣

Reactions: 4
I'd feel gutted if I got zero points from the public vote so I do feel a bit sorry for Olly. It must be brutal but the BBC didn't do much to promote him did they? We only found out he was our entry a few weeks before and the only thing the BBC did was give him a cringe cameo in Eastenders.

Reactions: 10
I'd feel gutted if I got zero points from the public vote so I do feel a bit sorry for Olly. It must be brutal but the BBC didn't do much to promote him did they? We only found out he was our entry a few weeks before and the only thing the BBC did was give him a cringe cameo in Eastenders.
He was revealed as the entry in December

• Haha
Reflecting back on Saturday night - I think this was a very lacklustre year. My first exposure to the songs is always in the live final, and the subsequent short replays during the voting reminders start to cement the songs in my head.

By the Sunday/Monday, I've usually headed to YouTube to rewatch a few performances, or the official videos, or maybe even download a couple of the songs.

This year there aren't any that I found memorable enough. The ballads were all dull, the crazy ones were nothing new, Windows 95 just reminded me of LMFAO, a few outdated techno dance numbers, some really mid pop songs that went nowhere (Sweden, UK). Bambie Thug was about the most interesting but it's not really an earworm.

Malin was wooden and Petra had nobody to bounce off. Sweden, please make it Mans and Petra next time.

I know it can't be a classic Eurovision every year, but for me, 2024 was probably the least memorable of the past 10 years or so.

Reactions: 7
Was he? 😁 I must have missed that.
I don't remember hearing the song being promoted much before the show. I only heard it because I searched for it on YouTube.
Ye it was a big deal when he was announced last year hahahahahahaha. But ye I do think the Israel/Palestine thing really put a holt on promotion so they only started to a couple of weeks ago. The whole contest has been so weird although contrary to what a poster just said I thought it was one of the strongest years musically ( I started listening to the tracks in March so I’ve had more time to digest them tho!!). What I am most curious about is what learnings the EBU would have taken from the chaos this year and how will they implement them next year to ensure it is better.

Was he? 😁 I must have missed that.
I don't remember hearing the song being promoted much before the show. I only heard it because I searched for it on YouTube.
Huge announcement in the middle of strictly come dancing lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 2