Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the subject of the UK always getting nil votes and etc, I think everybody has forgotten about Jade Ewen's Eurovision participation in 2009 where she finished in 5th place! Stunning song written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and a gorgeous vocal. So no, it is not all political and this nonsense of "the whole of Europe hates the UK" should stop. We just need to start taking our participation seriously like the other countries and then we'll be scored higher. In the Scandinavian countries the selection is taken very seriously. It's a whole competition to choose the best song to send to Eurovision. Olly's performance and staging was awful.

Reactions: 22
On the subject of the UK always getting nil votes and etc, I think everybody has forgotten about Jade Ewen's Eurovision participation in 2009 where she finished in 5th place! Stunning song written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and a gorgeous vocal. So no, it is not all political and this nonsense of "the whole of Europe hates the UK" should stop. We just need to start taking our participation seriously like the other countries and then we'll be scored higher. In the Scandinavian countries the selection is taken very seriously. It's a whole competition to choose the best song to send to Eurovision. Olly's performance and staging was awful.
Hadnt forgotten and fully intended to mention it! It’s also an example of how putting the work in beforehand pays off. I remember they did a follow up show of them doing all the pre parties and interviews, basically touring Europe for weeks before the show. And it was presented as something the U.K. act never normally did. But it paid off.

then the following year we got Pete waterman to choose some guy who couldn’t sing and we finished close to bottom 🙄

Reactions: 9
If all these “super power” leaders can’t fix what’s going off in Palestine I don’t see what a few singers in a song contest can do other than show their support and spread the message the best they can. I’m not sure what a mass walk out would’ve achieved really. The whole show is cancelled? Yeah it would’ve sent a message but it would’ve also been spinned let’s face it “we can’t even have an innocent song competion anymore etc”. Maybe Israel should have stepped down but we know that’s never happen, maybe they should’ve been disqualified and then there’d have been antisemitism calls. I think the whole think was rock and a hard place really.
Oh I completely agree, if our political leaders had anything like a workable strategy to deal with these horrendous wars in places like Gaza, then we wouldnt be getting into this kind of mess, where what should be an innocuous song contest is being held up to account for the failure of world leaders!

Only what is extremely sad, is how complicated and fragile the whole situation is. The general public is told so little about what is actually going on in places like The Ukraine, or Gaza, or the West Bank, or in the Red Sea, or in Azerbijan....etc etc.....the news is extremely selective about what we the public are actually being told. Which is scary in itself. Both Israel and Azerbijan should have been banned this year. As Russia was a few years ago. The information on the Gaza conflict on here contains some absolutely horrendous photos...

But then what gets even worse is if Eurovision is then used as a propaganda source by the Israeli government, to assume and tell the Israeli people that all of Europe is behind Israel and their genocide and atrocious war in Gaza. As shown by mass European popular support for the Israeli entry and for The Ukraine.

I have no issue at all in separating governments from the innocent people who just happen to live in a country, and that applies to both Israel and Palestine. But I do think the Israeli government are currently behaving absolutely appallingly and destroying Gaza- and I am not happy with Eurovision effectively being hijacked by Israel as a propaganda tool. (and I am sorry I do believe that Israel ....as a country ...did deliberately set out to use Eurovision for political ends, and something is very dodgy in the public voting!)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Someone mentioned last night about the voting data. Where can I find it please 🙏🏾

Reactions: 1
Just been recapping the show with the boyfriend and we both agreed that the whole thing with Alcazar was an absolute shitfest. What was actually going on there????
First off, they could only disappoint. After endless teasing, rumors flying more than high and that moderation, everyone was bound to think Abba might come after all. The seed was planted last year when the justification for Loreen wasn’t that she was the best, but that the win belonged to Sweden because of the Abba anniversary.
And the what the heck was that ending for Alcazar? The fire extinguisher? They couldn’t even let them finish the song in style and the were just gone. Think if I was them, I’d be pretty pissed off by the whole affair.

Reactions: 13
While I’m happy enough with the voting system I do wish they’d speed up announcing the jury votes, that seemed to go on forever this year particularly 😂 there’s got to be a quicker way to do it while still having some drama.
You don't know St Johhny (he's 70 you know). SEVENTY!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Just been recapping the show with the boyfriend and we both agreed that the whole thing with Alcazar was an absolute shitfest. What was actually going on there????
First off, they could only disappoint. After endless teasing, rumors flying more than high and that moderation, everyone was bound to think Abba might come after all. The seed was planted last year when the justification for Loreen wasn’t that she was the best, but that the win belonged to Sweden because of the Abba anniversary.
And the what the heck was that ending for Alcazar? The fire extinguisher? They couldn’t even let them finish the song in style and the were just gone. Think if I was them, I’d be pretty pissed off by the whole affair.
Maybe ABBA were the only ones with balls to boycott!

Reactions: 7
The best songs are ones that don't have an agenda, and are just pure talent, like Sam Ryder. Olly put his ego into that performance unfortunately, it was all about him, he didn't think how it would be responded to by the rest of europe

Ps. Never drinking again 🥴 been up to be sick so many times, I may as well live in the bathroom at this point
Yea I agree…I think Olly loves himself a bit too much and maybe the public saw through it

Reactions: 9
Thought they'd have done a medly of songs or wheeled ace of base out

Reactions: 5
Oh I completely agree, if our political leaders had anything like a workable strategy to deal with these horrendous wars in places like Gaza, then we wouldnt be getting into this kind of mess, where what should be an innocuous song contest is being held up to account for the failure of world leaders!

Only what is extremely sad, is how complicated and fragile the whole situation is. The general public is told so little about what is actually going on in places like The Ukraine, or Gaza, or the West Bank, or in the Red Sea, or in Azerbijan....etc etc.....the news is extremely selective about what we the public are actually being told. Which is scary in itself. Both Israel and Azerbijan should have been banned this year. As Russia was a few years ago. The information on the Gaza conflict on here contains some absolutely horrendous photos...

But then what gets even worse is if Eurovision is then used as a propaganda source by the Israeli government, to assume and tell the Israeli people that all of Europe is behind Israel and their genocide and atrocious war in Gaza. As shown by mass European popular support for the Israeli entry and for The Ukraine.

I have no issue at all in separating governments from the innocent people who just happen to live in a country, and that applies to both Israel and Palestine. But I do think the Israeli government are currently behaving absolutely appallingly and destroying Gaza- and I am not happy with Eurovision effectively being hijacked by Israel as a propaganda tool. (and I am sorry I do believe that Israel ....as a country ...did deliberately set out to use Eurovision for political ends, and something is very dodgy in the public voting!)
I do think Israel fully intended to take advantage of political voting the exact same way Ukraine did but I also believe people wanted to vote for them as they wanted to vote for Ukraine. Even if you look at the protests, it’s never the majority of whichever country out on the streets is it? The protests dominate social media (see all the harassment the entrants got) but I don’t think that attitude dominates in the UK and I’d guess not in a lot of European countries either - the disapproval of the EU governments is very true, but the people here aren’t their governments either.

It may be unpalatable for some, but I don’t think it was dodgy. The only slightly “dodgy” I can see is that the ROW vote was influenced by Hollywood but even if you write that off consequently, it’s only 12 points in total. They got a lot of votes and it was because for whatever reason, people wanted to vote for Israel like they did for Ukraine and like they did for Switzerland and Croatia.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It all promised so much but delivered very little. I think the UK did a better job hosting the show.

We all wanted Abba but I guess if they've retired then they couldn't be tempted. Loreen could have sung 'Euphoria' for the fans but instead looked like she'd been tethered to an office chair 🙄

The staging for the songs was done well but all the bits in between were disappointing. The acts in the Green room didn't look like they were enjoying themselves very much either but then again a mob protesting outside does tend to put a dampner on things.

Reactions: 11
Yeah, the atmosphere probably wasn’t the same with the protests, but the show really dragged in the end. No party, no medley of past acts, some very forced and staged conversations. Petra was amazing last time, this time, she was over it halfway through.
I do wonder what the crowd in the arena got from Loreen flapping and wailing for ten minutes. Her performance might be quite intense in terms of needing core control and all, but she honestly just screams most of the time, no lyrics one could understand and the all that flapping. Take it away and there’s not much left. Imagine sitting there all the time …..

Reactions: 14
i'm sure @monza has already posted this but i haven't caught up yet - i couldn't help but cry to this, i'm so freakin proud of my country 😭😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 17
If you compare the usual amount of banter they have with the contestants during the final (think of Mika two years ago), last night they really tried to narrow it down to a very few short conversations. They were terrified that the artists would set the whole thing on fire. And when it comes to that, maybe it’s time for the EBU to do some serious rethinking of how they want this show to continue.
This year was a mess.

Reactions: 17
I just think those who found Israel being in it should have actually boycotted rather than being a dick to the girl. It just got Israel more votes as she seemed to remain composed whilst others did the drama.
And if the dutch guy has actually done something criminal then duck him.

People can be pro or anti Israel but I don’t like hypocrisy.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yeah, the atmosphere probably wasn’t the same with the protests, but the show really dragged in the end. No party, no medley of past acts, some very forced and staged conversations. Petra was amazing last time, this time, she was over it halfway through.
I do wonder what the crowd in the arena got from Loreen flapping and wailing for ten minutes. Her performance might be quite intense in terms of needing core control and all, but she honestly just screams most of the time, no lyrics one could understand and the all that flapping. Take it away and there’s not much left. Imagine sitting there all the time …..
I think Petra and Malin spent the entire evening terrified of what would happen if they had to announce Israel as the winners. Their faces and the shared look when they had to announce the phone points for them as it was didn’t look like disapproval to me - it looked like fear that it was all about to kick off.

I can imagine after all the Joost drama and all the entire production were just done with it all at that point.

On Joost i do think given the police are involved the EBU were in a rock and hard place situation on that with very little time to decide - let him continue and potentially have the bad press of the charges from the police or disqualify and get the reaction they did. The police involvement tipped their hand I think, they had no choice but to disqualify then. Not giving a statement earlier was bad but they were likely waiting for confirmation of if the police would proceed and hoping they wouldn’t so the disqualification wouldn’t be necessary. They made mistakes with the handling but with less than 24 hours to decide, what a position they were stuck in.

(ETA personally I think SVT wouldn’t have supported police contact as it’s clear they did unless what he did was absolutely far enough to be considered a crime in Sweden. I know people on X have argued they have much tougher laws on threats than the Dutch so Joost may not have realised but at the end of the day he was in Sweden so the laws in the Netherlands are irrelevant)

Reactions: 8
i'm sure @monza has already posted this but i haven't caught up yet - i couldn't help but cry to this, i'm so freakin proud of my country 😭😭😭

I need whole world to see this video!!!

Thanks everyone who voted, THIS is what it means after 4 months of hard work and dedication

Also wiwi blogs as biggest fans since day 1 🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 12