Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The last performance "rave", the one with the silver thigh boots was one of the worst of the night.
See I thought that was one of the best songs of the night. Complete banger and deserved to do so much better . It's top ten on UK iTunes chart

• Heart
Reactions: 12
See I thought that was one of the best songs of the night. Complete banger and deserved to do so much better . It's top ten on UK iTunes chart
Really liked it too and it was a great closing song. I wonder if she got lost amongst all the other solo female artists, although she was one of the standouts for me.

Reactions: 10
I thought she was brilliant, she really gave the performance her all!! It's not even my type of music but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Reactions: 6
Olly has entered the UK spotify chart at 163
In comparison last year Mae reentered at number 9

It looks like even the UK isn't even here for the song so really how can we expect anyone else to be. Its such a dud

It's interesting too as olly said the reason he was doing eurovision is because he hadn't had a hit in a long time and he isn't dua lipa with giant streaming numbers and that he saw how well Sam and Mae did afterwards

I wonder if he regrets entering now

Reactions: 13
Really liked it too and it was a great closing song. I wonder if she got lost amongst all the other solo female artists, although she was one of the standouts for me.
Not my type of music, but I was surprised that she didn't do better - good performance (well, she is a dancer by profession), bet it felt great in the arena, proper party banger, even if it did sound like Cascada. The botts weren't quite my thing, but that hardly justifies the result. It got 5.7 million streams on Spotify already, which really isn't bad at all. I do think she got lost in all those female singers and the last running spot didn't help her.

Reactions: 7
Not my type of music, but I was surprised that she didn't do better - good performance (well, she is a dancer by profession), bet it felt great in the arena, proper party banger, even if it did sound like Cascada. The botts weren't quite my thing, but that hardly justifies the result. It got 5.7 million streams on Spotify already, which really isn't bad at all. I do think she got lost in all those female singers and the last running spot didn't help her.
Banger of a song but she is probably the weakest singer this year. Also 70% of the performance was backing track so Iā€™m not surprised the juries didnā€™t back it. Performing last also seems to be a seriously unfavourable spot. I was certainly ready to get to the voting by her performance- I appreciated it as a performance but I was over judging/comparing people from a competitive aspect by then.

Reactions: 2
Olly has entered the UK spotify chart at 163
In comparison last year Mae reentered at number 9

It looks like even the UK isn't even here for the song so really how can we expect anyone else to be. Its such a dud

It's interesting too as olly said the reason he was doing eurovision is because he hadn't had a hit in a long time and he isn't dua lipa with giant streaming numbers and that he saw how well Sam and Mae did afterwards

I wonder if he regrets entering now
I think it's as simple as that. The audience just didn't connect with it. A good enough song in itself as it picked up points from the juries. But to win eurovision you need more than just an OK song.

I thought it was fine when I heard it. But I haven't found myself wanting to listen to it again like I have with other songs (that Finland song for one, I cannot get it out of my head šŸ˜‚) which says it all.

I feel for him because it takes guts to put yourself out there and perform on a stage like that. I think it's too high risk for someone known like he is though. Sam and Mae could only get more popular, Olly not so much.

Reactions: 4
I have always liked Years & Years and I think Olly is a good performer, but I remember being underwhelmed by the song when I first heard it. I feel like he could have come up with a much better track - it's one of those songs that sounds a bit like lots of other songs, it doesn't have enough of its own personality.

If anyone saw his Glastonbury set last year, the staging was all based around dirty toilet cubicles - I think that might have been the set from his tour? - so it didn't surprise me when I saw it on Eurovision because it seems to be a 'thing' he's doing at the moment. But I see how anyone who hasn't seen any of his performances might think it was weird and gross. I mean, it is gross, but I get that some artists like to try and have a shock factor.

Reactions: 10
The ABBA holograms are seriously creepy.
I agree. I had planned to go to London and see them this summer but after seeing them at ESC I just gonna invite friends and have a dance-to-Abba-party at my home instead. But I don't understand that some people thought that Abba would show up and perform live, it's been 50 years! They nearly 80 years old today and not in form to sing live and dance around and too clever to do a Madonna, singing live at ESC showing millions of people that ooops Queen of Pop can't sing live anymore. Everyone that heard Madonna sing at ESC a couple of years ago knows what I mean. Or do a Johnny Logan, that was also painful to hear.

There are lot of things that made this years ESC not as good as it was in Stockholm 2016 and apart from a lot of countries sending clown shows with like fools riding around on one legged goats blowing trumpets in a fire while witches screamed instead of just sending a normal song and those are:

1. Israel. I skip all the politics but think that Israel could have thought of the safety of others and stayed at home. Instead of fun and joy Malmƶ felt like a besieged town with cops everywhere and snipers on rooftops. We had to borrow cops from Denmark and Norway to keep the safety because we don't have that many cops in Sweden. I was at ESC in Stockholm 2016, at that time the cops showed people the way from the tube to the arena or just hanged around chatting to people ore ate ice cream because they had nothing else to do. It was so fun, everybody was glad and friendly and it was safe as it should be. This year we didn't get tickets and felt as it turned out that it was better anyway to stay at home. I was really scared something awful would happen. Also a lot of artists that should have performed in the ESC-village outside the arena and on the show jumped off in last minute because of Israel.

2. The hate against Sweden when we won last year. We love Eurovision and we love the Swedish Mello, the competitions to get an artist to send to ESC. It takes us six Saturdays and those shows and ESC are always the most watched telly shows in Sweden. We are very proud over our music and over little Sweden being a big music exporter. So all the hate and the conspiracy theories that Sweden just won because it was 50 years ago that Abba won, not because our song was good, made us very sad and made ESC loose a bit of it's charm.

3. The right wing fools
The last election in Sweden the conservative did not win but took the power with the back up from The Sweden Democrats (SD), a nationalist and right-wing populist party that origin from nazists (something they desperately tries to hide nowadays). SD hates public service which means less money for SVT (telly company) to spend on Mello and ESC. They like many other nazi-morons in Europe rallied their moron-followers to vote like mad for Israel. That ballad from Israel would not have got 12 points from Swedens public a normal year. So thanks right wing nazi-morons, you destroyed the politics in my country, the public service, you have made me really fear for the future since you seems to love war and dictatorships and don't care about the climate changes and now you destroyed ESC.

4. SVT letting Loreen show her arty side
Loreen have actually competed three times in Mello. The second time she had an arty song with an arty performance trying to make some kind of statement. She did not made it to the final since the voters was hell no! You sing a song like Euphoria or you go home! And that is was SVT should have told her when she wanted to do an arty performance, hell no! You stand up and sing Euphoria and Tattoo or you go home!

5. Hate in general
A lot of artists this year had to close their social media because they couldn't take more hate. A Norwegian paper called Marcus and Martinus for the Quisling brothers because they competed for Sweden instead of Norway (Quisling was a Norwegian nazileader betraying his country taking Hitlers side during WWII sending thousands of Norwegians to death and that is why people betraying their countries are called a quisling) and I think that was a bit to much. It's a music competition ffs! It's meant to be fun and loving bringing people together having a good time not the start of WWIII.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
A Norwegian paper called Marcus and Martinus for the Quisling brothers because they competed for Sweden instead of Norway (Quisling was a Norwegian nazileader betraying his country taking Hitlers side during WWII sending thousands of Norwegians to death and that is why people betraying their countries are called a quisling) and I think that was a bit to much. It's a music competition ffs! It's meant to be fun and loving bringing people together having a good time not the start of WWIII.
What??? That is despicable! Those poor guys.

Reactions: 4
Sweden always do well because thatā€™s where all the worlds best song writers and producers are based.

Reactions: 3
I agree. I had planned to go to London and see them this summer but after seeing them at ESC I just gonna invite friends and have a dance-to-Abba-party at my home instead. But I don't understand that some people thought that Abba would show up and perform live, it's been 50 years! They nearly 80 years old today and not in form to sing live and dance around and too clever to do a Madonna, singing live at ESC showing millions of people that ooops Queen of Pop can't sing live anymore. Everyone that heard Madonna sing at ESC a couple of years ago knows what I mean. Or do a Johnny Logan, that was also painful to hear.

There are lot of things that made this years ESC not as good as it was in Stockholm 2016 and apart from a lot of countries sending clown shows with like fools riding around on one legged goats blowing trumpets in a fire while witches screamed instead of just sending a normal song and those are:

1. Israel. I skip all the politics but think that Israel could have thought of the safety of others and stayed at home. Instead of fun and joy Malmƶ felt like a besieged town with cops everywhere and snipers on rooftops. We had to borrow cops from Denmark and Norway to keep the safety because we don't have that many cops in Sweden. I was at ESC in Stockholm 2016, at that time the cops showed people the way from the tube to the arena or just hanged around chatting to people ore ate ice cream because they had nothing else to do. It was so fun, everybody was glad and friendly and it was safe as it should be. This year we didn't get tickets and felt as it turned out that it was better anyway to stay at home. I was really scared something awful would happen. Also a lot of artists that should have performed in the ESC-village outside the arena and on the show jumped off in last minute because of Israel.

2. The hate against Sweden when we won last year. We love Eurovision and we love the Swedish Mello, the competitions to get an artist to send to ESC. It takes us six Saturdays and those shows and ESC are always the most watched telly shows in Sweden. We are very proud over our music and over little Sweden being a big music exporter. So all the hate and the conspiracy theories that Sweden just won because it was 50 years ago that Abba won, not because our song was good, made us very sad and made ESC loose a bit of it's charm.

3. The right wing fools
The last election in Sweden the conservative did not win but took the power with the back up from The Sweden Democrats (SD), a nationalist and right-wing populist party that origin from nazists (something they desperately tries to hide nowadays). SD hates public service which means less money for SVT (telly company) to spend on Mello and ESC. They like many other nazi-morons in Europe rallied their moron-followers to vote like mad for Israel. That ballad from Israel would not have got 12 points from Swedens public a normal year. So thanks right wing nazi-morons, you destroyed the politics in my country, the public service, you have made me really fear for the future since you seems to love war and dictatorships and don't care about the climate changes and now you destroyed ESC.

4. SVT letting Loreen show her arty side
Loreen have actually competed three times in Mello. The second time she had an arty song with an arty performance trying to make some kind of statement. She did not made it to the final since the voters was hell no! You sing a song like Euphoria or you go home! And that is was SVT should have told her when she wanted to do an arty performance, hell no! You stand up and sing Euphoria and Tattoo or you go home!

5. Hate in general
A lot of artists this year had to close their social media because they couldn't take more hate. A Norwegian paper called Marcus and Martinus for the Quisling brothers because they competed for Sweden instead of Norway (Quisling was a Norwegian nazileader betraying his country taking Hitlers side during WWII sending thousands of Norwegians to death and that is why people betraying their countries are called a quisling) and I think that was a bit to much. It's a music competition ffs! It's meant to be fun and loving bringing people together having a good time not the start of WWIII.
Blaming Israel because you were worried about. Jihadist attack is interesting. Maybe Arianna Grande should have stayed home that day too.

Reactions: 6
Poland also had a paid campaign for votes? Almost all the nations additionally had their twitter accounts promoting their act. Thatā€™s not rigging.

This happens literally every year for different acts. This and the amount of times Iā€™ve seen Iā€™ve borrowed my mums phone to vote 20 times too/got my auntie in Berlin to vote 20 times/texted 20 times on my other SIM card over on X, along with alliances to vote for home acts etc. Nobody complains thatā€™s rigging so neither is this just because this time itā€™s happening for an act people didnā€™t want it to benefit.

ETA: completely agree on Bambie though. I think she wanted the votes from people who are pro-Palestine and wanted the head pats but didnā€™t have the guts to put her money where her mouth was. Which to me is a lot more crappy than up front saying ā€œI donā€™t want to comment, Iā€™m not going to make a statementā€. Even if theyā€™d disqualified her I donā€™t agree with PP it would have been disastrous, itā€™s a song contest. Sheā€™d have made her statement and itā€™s not like she won anyway, she was gutted to come after Israel. Disqualification having made her point would surely have been vastly preferable if she felt like she claims.
I worked in TV production for a few years in the UK and during that time working on the Eurovision. With all due respect what I said above regarding the repercussions of the contract is fact not hearsay. If you want to ignore that it's impossible for an independent artist (i.e a self funded artist with no financial or record label support) to buy their way out of the contract that's your choice. In all fairness this is supposed to be a song contest, no one anticipated what unfolded.

Not asking anyone to change their mind or open a big debate. That wasn't my intention. I wanted to share what I knew and to give MY opinion on why I think it's wrong to take out the frustration on the artists who essentially have their hands tied unless their millionaires. The national broadcaster is the one who decides to enter and has the direct contract with the EBU. Not the artist. All complaints regarding a countries entry should go to the broadcaster directly. Let the national bradcoaster take the hit for pulling out not the penniless artists trying to catch a break. There has been very serious threats made to the artists on social media in the last 3-4 days especially. Some artists had clauses with their broadcaster that they would not speak in public about political affairs. I don't even know if RTE are happy that Bambie made their pro-Palestine stance clear? At the end of the day you're representing your country in a global format so there are lots of rules and regulations around that in the contract. We all know the Eurovision isn't supposed to be political, but it is.

The contestants couldn't win, if they said nothing, they were criticized. If they shared their pro-Palestine views they are criticized and now we're seeing they've became the target of a vicious online Israeli bot campaign making serious threats.

The competition was a mess this year. The fun is gone, I'm glad I don't work on it anymore. It was sad to see something that was normally such fun be a nightmare. One of the largest sponsors of the competition is an Israeli company, it's amazing how money can help people turn a blind out. The EBU have made a massive balls of this year and I expect they'll have to step down. I also expect the Netherlands will either pull out completely or sue the EBU for damages and pending Joost's case, possibly a unfair dismissal?

And it is against the rules to run large paid marketing campaigns soliciting votes. Since the addition of the global vote this has become an issue. Countries have been investigated for breaking this rule before. Israel have run large scale drives. A broadcaster sharing voting information on their act is not a rule break. The public vote results are not a true reflection of the Israel/Palestine stance. Pro Palestine and EBU voters boycotted leaving the mass Israeli campaign to crash the public results.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Poland also had a paid campaign for votes? Almost all the nations additionally had their twitter accounts promoting their act. Thatā€™s not rigging.

This happens literally every year for different acts. This and the amount of times Iā€™ve seen Iā€™ve borrowed my mums phone to vote 20 times too/got my auntie in Berlin to vote 20 times/texted 20 times on my other SIM card over on X, along with alliances to vote for home acts etc. Nobody complains thatā€™s rigging so neither is this just because this time itā€™s happening for an act people didnā€™t want it to benefit.

ETA: completely agree on Bambie though. I think she wanted the votes from people who are pro-Palestine and wanted the head pats but didnā€™t have the guts to put her money where her mouth was. Which to me is a lot more crappy than up front saying ā€œI donā€™t want to comment, Iā€™m not going to make a statementā€. Even if theyā€™d disqualified her I donā€™t agree with PP it would have been disastrous, itā€™s a song contest. Sheā€™d have made her statement and itā€™s not like she won anyway, she was gutted to come after Israel. Disqualification having made her point would surely have been vastly preferable if she felt like she claims.
I agree with your ETA.
---
This is quite catchy lol:

It really is šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Reactions: 1
Dizzy was dull as dishwater, even the dirty toilet sexy spinning stage couldnā€™t make it stick. Canā€™t even remember it after a few listens. Itā€™s not even as a tenth as good as anything Years and Years did.

He should have done something more in the vein of Lithuaniaā€™s Lulthelk (sp?). I could have imagined Olly performing something like that well. His live vocals would have been better with a produced dance beat. Even Austria did very well with a weak singer and created a banger that landed well with the general public based on the streaming numbers.

Was listening to Rina Sawayamaā€™s ā€˜This Hellā€™ in the car earlier. That would be such a Eurovision bop. Easy to understand cheeky lyrics, bit of a gimmick, amazing vocal performance, rocking guitars, potential for amazing staging.

She would be great next year āœØ

Reactions: 5
I worked in TV production for a few years in the UK and during that time working on the Eurovision. With all due respect what I said above regarding the repercussions of the contract is fact not hearsay. If you want to ignore that it's impossible for an independent artist (i.e a self funded artist with no financial or record label support) to buy their way out of the contract that's your choice. In all fairness this is supposed to be a song contest, no one anticipated what unfolded.

Not asking anyone to change their mind or open a big debate. That wasn't my intention. I wanted to share what I knew and to give MY opinion on why I think it's wrong to take out the frustration on the artists who essentially have their hands tied unless their millionaires. The national broadcaster is the one who decides to enter and has the direct contract with the EBU. Not the artist. All complaints regarding a countries entry should go to the broadcaster directly. Let the national bradcoaster take the hit for pulling out not the penniless artists trying to catch a break. There has been very serious threats made to the artists on social media in the last 3-4 days especially. Some artists had clauses with their broadcaster that they would not speak in public about political affairs. I don't even know if RTE are happy that Bambie made their pro-Palestine stance clear? At the end of the day you're representing your country in a global format so there are lots of rules and regulations around that in the contract. We all know the Eurovision isn't supposed to be political, but it is.

The contestants couldn't win, if they said nothing, they were criticized. If they shared their pro-Palestine views they are criticized and now we're seeing they've became the target of a vicious online Israeli bot campaign making serious threats.

The competition was a mess this year. The fun is gone, I'm glad I don't work on it anymore. It was sad to see something that was normally such fun be a nightmare. One of the largest sponsors of the competition is an Israeli company, it's amazing how money can help people turn a blind out. The EBU have made a massive balls of this year and I expect they'll have to step down. I also expect the Netherlands will either pull out completely or sue the EBU for damages and pending Joost's case, possibly a unfair dismissal?

And it is against the rules to run large paid marketing campaigns soliciting votes. Since the addition of the global vote this has become an issue. Countries have been investigated for breaking this rule before. Israel have run large scale drives. A broadcaster sharing voting information on their act is not a rule break. The public vote results are not a true reflection of the Israel/Palestine stance. Pro Palestine and EBU voters boycotted leaving the mass Israeli campaign to crash the public results.
To me this is common sense. Also one has to take into consideration that the BBCā€™s participation fee is upwards of Ā£500k then add on top the staging, the delegation, hotels etc weā€™re talking about 1mil to be a part of this show. Pulling out is obviously going to have intense repercussions.

Reactions: 1