Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The problem may well be that a lot of delegations aren't going to be able to afford accommodation, food, transport and other costs on top of the costs for actually performing on that stage (props, effects, whatever)

These delegations, like most Eurovision fans, are going to be there for more or less the whole week and delegations can be pretty big. Some countries apparently require their artists to pay towards things out of their own pockets too

Look, I appreciate that but there are many other artists under similar pressure that still managed to have some sort of online presence before/during the contest with press and generally being seen out and about
A lot of the artists aren’t super established and the ones that were were lucky enough to have not been cancelled for participating. Unfortunately a lot of Olly’s core audience are super liberal, queer, pro Palestine activist types who literally turned on him for entering. If he had to go off the radar a bit to protect himself I can’t blame him - it’s a tough environment as it is (Mae said as such the other day- she hasn’t even been able to follow any ESC related stuff because she is still ‘traumatised’ from the experience) then you add this Israel stuff. I hear you though- I’m just being defensive of him because I’ve been told he’s an absolute sweetheart. 🥹

Reactions: 9
Bit ironic that he then came out with a massive and old looking flag that lowkey looked like something you'd see in a film about colonialism

On the political side, I suspect that the BBC really didn't help him too if he wanted to say something that wasn't just PR speak
Do you think every nations flag is colonialist then? Its just a national flag the same as everyone else's. You are attaching that meaning to it. Perhaps the Dutch, Portuguese, French and Spanish should abandon their flags as well 🙄

I was actually surprised that he came out with the flag but he probably wasn't given a choice otherwise he would have been waving a pride flag.

Reactions: 9
Even olly saying he’s going to make the song the gayest ever was a bit condescending/patronising, as if that’s all he needed to do to win it. And it didn’t work…
Also, why does “gay” have to mean writhing around half-dressed in a filthy toilet? That’s a pretty unpleasant, and outdated, stereotype IMO.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Also, why does “gay” have to mean writhing around half-dressed in a filthy toilet? That’s a pretty unpleasant, and outdated, stereotype IMO.
I assume he thought he was being edgy. He fully believed the public would lap that up but it had the opposite effect and was completely rejected by the public vote throughout Europe. It was an atrocious performance in both the semi and the final.

Reactions: 10
It's more about the flag looking tarnished, old and huge and not the fact that it was the British flag alone 🤭

Very American Revolution vibes too
Oh right I think I see what you mean although I rather like the distressed old version.

I think Olly was desperately trying to be as 'cool' as possible which may have been what hampered him. He might be a great guy IRL but he seemed to be lacking in presence and enthusiasm.

Reactions: 7
Zagreb main square is full of people

Baby lasagna is driving in an open bus from airport

People are following him, waving and honking all the time 😂

Surreal

Football folklore applied to esc

Macroom (about 20 minutes drive from my childhood home) had similar scenes when Bambie got the douze points from Australia

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I actually liked the fleg he came out with. But the song just wasn’t very good. He was great in that drama he was in a couple of years ago but I don’t think he is a very good musical performer.
can we get that wee drummer girl for next year as I think she sings too and she is lovely

Reactions: 3
I'm gutted Baby Lasagne didn't win.
It was the only song I liked.
The UK performance/song was terrible, in my opinion.

Send Bradley Walsh next year, crooning about how great pork pies are.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I know George Michael got 'caught' in an LA toilet years ago (he even released a song about it)but equal marriage and relationship rights, granted didn't exist then, but do now.

I fully agree with you, it just gives homophones bragging rights. I don't know what the BBC were thinking
---
I actually liked the flhe came out with. But the song just wasn’t very good. He was great in that drama he was in a couple of years ago but I don’t think he is a very good musical performer.
can we get that wee drummer girl for next year as I think she sings too and she is lovely
I went to Antrim to visit a 'mixed couple' shall we say, and I had to explain to both of them what a fleg was.😅

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I know George Michael got 'caught' in an LA toilet years ago (he even released a song about it)but equal marriage and relationship rights, granted didn't exist then, but do now.

I fully agree with you, it just gives homophones bragging rights. I don't know what the BBC were thinking
George Michael was a much better singer and his video was very tongue in cheek. There was no humour in Ollys performance.
If only we had someone as talented as George to represent us now.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
George Michael was a much better singer and his video was very tongue in cheek. There was no humour in Ollys performance.
If only we had someone as talented as George to represent us now.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly.

Reactions: 5
I’d love to see us do a national selection

Give it as a prize for some vocal contest or something - at least then we know they can actually sing live well and consistently 🤭
We did do it for years we didn't fare any better feel like whatever we do is just wrong anyway haha

Also can't trust the British people to vote on anything we proved that last night by giving 12 televote points to bloody Israel

Also, George Michael in that video was dealing with the incident with humour. A bit of humour might have made a difference to Olly’s effort. (Although George could also sing, so there is that).
That video was 1998 too - 26 years ago.
And Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s Relax was 1983 (41 years ago!).
And yet Olly somehow thinks he’s “edgy”.

Reactions: 16
I am happy for the UK to continue doing an internal selection. Despite them not all being the results we may have wanted - what they have given us in the last 3 years i would take over what we got the 10 years prior. At least as a younger person, I’ve love having artists I have heard of (I followed Sam on tik tok, knew one of Mae’s songs and Ofc knew years and years). The BBC will get it right again. I personally love when they send radio friendly pop lol as that’s what I listen to but maybe they should try something different next year.
Agreed think we just need to keep chipping away we don't need artists like Micheal Rice being choosen again and again

Reactions: 1
We did do it for years we didn't fare any better feel like whatever we do is just wrong anyway haha
I mean the way it was done was really not ideal anyway

It's clear now that we have managed to attract some bigger names or people with potential - Mae, despite the poor performance, did support Little Mix on their tour or something so she wasn't a nobody

I think trying to make it a part of a music competition, such as The Voice, would be interesting. If you join into the spirit of Eurovision and all the community things it's pretty clear you can set up a bit of a fanbase for yourself. A lot of these singing competitions don't actually seem to result in anything too substantial these days for the winners anyway

Also can't trust the British people to vote on anything we proved that last night by giving 12 televote points to bloody Israel
I agree with this I had this rant yesterday can't vote right in politics can't vote the right person to go in big brother, I'm a celeb and the winner of BGT is almost always a one hit wonder novelty act

• Heart
Reactions: 2
THIS

1000096138.jpg

He was a reserve
He almost gave up on music
He never sang live until february
They are all amateurs, the "oldest" person from the team is 32
They did everything themselves without any help and despite all the obstacles

• Heart
Reactions: 39