Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is Switzerland very expensive then? I keep seeing a lot of comments saying it
I would describe it as "reassuringly expensive"

Yes it is but so is the UK if you're not eating in the local kebab shop or getting microwaved meals from Wetherspoons all the time

Reactions: 8
I wonder if Rita Ora would have ended up
as big as she is if she’d represented us in 2009? This tweet is bang on
IMG_4721.jpeg

Reactions: 6
Also, Sam was completely unironic about the whole thing. He looked like he was having the time of his life and was totally on board with Eurovision. He actually took it seriously. Whereas a lot of British acts come across as being a bit above it all, like Eurovision is beneath them or something. Even Olly gave the impression at times that, as an established act, he would just swoop in and wow everyone, like Eurovision was his for the taking. Audiences don’t like that.
You put my thoughts into words! That's exactly how I felt about Olly.

Reactions: 12
It's one of the most expensive countries to visit as a tourist

Olly never really came off as likeable to me, he's honestly just missing from a lot of the press and fan videos completely this year

Reactions: 12
Its like anywhere - it can be expensive if you make it. We did Switzerland last year, well, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald areas and total trip was about 3k but that was 'living' in our campervan, taking food from home like pasta etc, using supermarket restaurants/cafes, not eating out to excess, oh, and being canny and buying overlapping tourist/transport passes so we could binge on the expensive stuff - we went up the Jungfrau 4 times to experience different weather including a snowstorm in August!!

If you box clever and do some research it can be reasonable - we had to get the van repaired when we were there - over here locally it would've been a £3-400 repair - it cost 300CHF so about the £270-300 mark. Priced the job in the main VW dealer over there 1000CHF - local garage across the road, with genuine parts ordered from the VW place - 300CHF.

Possibly did help that I'd done the 'diagnostics' first so knew exactly what was needed - just didn't have the right tools with me or the inclination to do it on a campsite and spend half a day on it. Main dealer and local garage were top notch - indeed I was able to get my UK VW Parts discount applied to the parts cost and the local garage lads were VW enthusiasts.

Prices in supermarkets vary wildly - you can get cheap supermarket chocolate for example for 50p a bar like here at home, or you can pay bonkers money for artisanal stuff. Weirdly, stuff like Toblerone is cheaper here at home than in the Swiss supermarkets. Found this in France over the last 20 years for Babybel and other well known French dairy products that are 'staples' here at home as well!

We even did a few Too Good to Go bags and had brilliant value - luckily we could cook the contents. We had spare ribs, sausages, buffalo mozzarella, and a bag of salad for about 6 quid - retail wouldve been about 40, reduced stickers about 20. So a bargain, in Switzerland - and it was our first bag, which tickled me as I thought it wouldve been at home.

Reactions: 8
I would describe it as "reassuringly expensive"

Yes it is but so is the UK if you're not eating in the local kebab shop or getting microwaved meals from Wetherspoons all the time
I think it depends. Ireland is crazy expensive these days so I'm not sure I'd even notice the difference anymore. But 'reassuringly' is a quite apt description.

Reactions: 4
Even olly saying he’s going to make the song the gayest ever was a bit condescending/patronising, as if that’s all he needed to do to win it. And it didn’t work…

Reactions: 20
When you receive 9 twelves, 12 tenths and 6 eights from televote

1000096126.jpg

My heart 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻

Shame on juries who gave 0, 1, 2, 3, absolute shame second year in a row

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It's one of the most expensive countries to visit as a tourist

Olly never really came off as likeable to me, he's honestly just missing from a lot of the press and fan videos completely this year
I know someone who has the same manager as him. Apparently he was really really struggling because of all the criticism he was getting back home for not boycotting. The BBC also shielded him from doing much press up until the last few weeks when it was necessary to avoid over exposure/ having to deal with lord hate.Even the posts he been putting up on instagram/tik tok has been posted on his behalf by his management as he deleted all social media on his phone during this period.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
The problem may well be that a lot of delegations aren't going to be able to afford accommodation, food, transport and other costs on top of the costs for actually performing on that stage (props, effects, whatever)

These delegations, like most Eurovision fans, are going to be there for more or less the whole week and delegations can be pretty big. Some countries apparently require their artists to pay towards things out of their own pockets too

I know someone who has the same manager as him. Apparently he was really really struggling because of all the criticism he was getting back home for not boycotting. The BBC also shielded him from doing much press up until the last few weeks when it was necessary to avoid over exposure/ having to deal with lord hate.Even the posts he been putting up on instagram/tik tok has been posted on his behalf by his management as he deleted all social media on his phone during this period.
Look, I appreciate that but there are many other artists under similar pressure that still managed to have some sort of online presence before/during the contest with press and generally being seen out and about

Reactions: 14
I think the problem is the UK rarely submits anyone who is 'likeable'. Sam Ryder did so well because his personality shone through, in all of his interviews he appeared genuinely pleasant and popular amongst the other contestants. I think he appeared legitimately happy and proud to be there, scrapping that image of the UK being embarrassed by even turning up. Very few other UK acts have been able to achieve that.

I think that charisma is much more important than any 'big name' we could submit!
Yeah, Sam Ryder to me seems like the most genuine nice guy that I’m scared of googling him in case I find out something bad.

I think part of the reason he did so well was he was so polite and well mannered to everyone and probably gained a few delegation votes from being lovely.

I would like to see him enter again next year to be honest

• Heart
Reactions: 21
When you receive 9 twelves, 12 tenths and 6 eights from televote

View attachment 2930753

My heart 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻 😻

Shame on juries who gave 0, 1, 2, 3, absolute shame second year in a row
I've never met a Croatian I didn't get on with and even our Irish commentator referred to 'our Croatian friends' when they got voted through last Tuesday.

Your time will come (although be careful what you wish for, hosting 4 contests in a five year period is a bit messy. Or so I've heard)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Wasn’t Sam pushed by Scott Mills or something?

Says a lot that someone who’s involved in the Eurovision bubble was able to push someone who was able to do well
Yes TAP took all the credit but it was Scott who put Sam forward.

Reactions: 2
Yeah, Sam Ryder to me seems like the most genuine nice guy that I’m scared of googling him in case I find out something bad.

I think part of the reason he did so well was he was so polite and well mannered to everyone and probably gained a few delegation votes from being lovely.

I would like to see him enter again next year to be honest
I have it good authority he kicks puppies.*

*Joking.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Also, Sam was completely unironic about the whole thing. He looked like he was having the time of his life and was totally on board with Eurovision. He actually took it seriously. Whereas a lot of British acts come across as being a bit above it all, like Eurovision is beneath them or something. Even Olly gave the impression at times that, as an established act, he would just swoop in and wow everyone, like Eurovision was his for the taking. Audiences don’t like that.
Sam came across as a lovely unpretentious guy and everyone seemed to like him. I think Olly was too caught up in the 'mustn't look like I'm endorsing Israel drama' and his remarks about not wanting to wave a British flag because its too 'divisive and nationalistic' didn't go down well either. In other words it was all about his image and not about representing his country. If another country had offered for him to represent them he would have done it because it was all about him.

Reactions: 18
his remarks about not wanting to wave a British flag because its too 'divisive and nationalistic' didn't go down well either.
Bit ironic that he then came out with a massive and old looking flag that lowkey looked like something you'd see in a film about colonialism

On the political side, I suspect that the BBC really didn't help him too if he wanted to say something that wasn't just PR speak

Reactions: 7
Zagreb main square is full of people

Baby lasagna is driving in an open bus from airport

People are following him, waving and honking all the time 😂

Surreal

Football folklore applied to esc

• Heart
Reactions: 20