Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another memory was feeling gutted when the UK won in 1981, although I love the song now.

I was quite the republican when I was 8!

Reactions: 5
I remember when they would pick an artist and then they'd sing 6 songs and the public would vote. That was back in the days when we used to do quite well.

I think the British public should have some say in who or what represents them. I don't like the BBC arbitrarily deciding on our behalf. OK someone has to prepare a shortlist of singers/songs but if we had a TV show like the Swedish do and invested more in finding new talent I believe we'd do better. There's loads of talented singer songwriters in the UK who are not given a chance.
Oh yeah back when Katie Price gave it a go. We missed a trick not sending zig and zag back in the 90's. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I feel by voting for Switzerland, the juries thought they’d meet the audience halfway. Nemo isn’t a typical juries winner at all imho and I bet they thought that after last year, they couldn’t vote for another obvious radio-friendly choice. I knew they wouldn’t go for Croatia as their number 1, so Switzerland probably seemed like a good choice to them. Maybe, like me, they thought audiences would give more points to Croatia and make them the winner. But 300+ points to Israel were obviously more important to international audiences 👀👀
It's like the juries got together and decided "lets all vote for that neutral country that nobody has a problem with". Giving Switzerland a pretty much unsurmountable lead to avoid any controversial winner. Especially as they would have known the semi final results, in which Israel won and Switzerland only came 4th.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm generalising a lot here but many of the Eurovision performers come from their country's equivalent of The Voice, X Factor etc. But I feel like the UK is bored of those shows and for good reason.

I liked Olly's performance but I don't really know where the UK goes next. Sam Ryder felt like an anomaly at this point 😂 there is so much talent in the UK but we can never get it quite right.
Wasn’t Sam pushed by Scott Mills or something?

Says a lot that someone who’s involved in the Eurovision bubble was able to push someone who was able to do well

Reactions: 1
I still think we need to send The Cheeky Girls next year they & Chico could form a trio. Neon, glow sticks and confetti everywhere, maybe even bring out a couple of those mini ponies as flag bearers.
Sam Ryder as hypeman we’d smash it… maybe.

• Haha
The other benefit of the scandi style selection process is that the public actually know and can get behind the act/song. Like when you see the crowds singing along and waving their flags - they never show anyone from the U.K. singing along!
---
Maybe Rylan could have a go?

Reactions: 3
Yeah, they need to go back to letting the UK public decide who and the song from a small selection.
I think some of the issues are things like the UK already has a lot of song contests, all the shows like X factor etc. Theres a lot of singers and dancers coming out of stage schools and being great performers, and singing great covers of amazing songs.

Whereas a country like France, has more of a tradition of encouraging singer /songwriters to try their own stuff, in a more low key way.

The contest should be about the song, and the singer, but in the UK we are far too used to wanting and expecting all the showbiz ..... so its hard for us to choose something more basic...that could be developed into an amazing song for Eurovision. (And a lot of our home grown singers have too many other lucrative markets to choose to shine in. Sam Ryder worked, because he knew how to make Eurovision work for him.)

It's like the juries got together and decided "lets all vote for that neutral country that nobody has a problem with". Giving Switzerland a pretty much unsurmountable lead to avoid any controversial winner. Especially as they would have known the semi final results, in which Switzerland only came 4th.
The juries don’t know the semi final results

I am happy for the UK to continue doing an internal selection. Despite them not all being the results we may have wanted - what they have given us in the last 3 years i would take over what we got the 10 years prior. At least as a younger person, I’ve love having artists I have heard of (I followed Sam on tik tok, knew one of Mae’s songs and Ofc knew years and years). The BBC will get it right again. I personally love when they send radio friendly pop lol as that’s what I listen to but maybe they should try something different next year.

The noisy minority are not reflective of the general public and the result across Europe reflects that.
So if you follow that line of argument, where are the noisy minority in Europe demonstrating in support of Russia? the public demonstrations that noisily assert Russia's historical right to the country of Ukraine? I must have completely missed this!!

Because just like Israel, the Ukraine also got a lower vote from the juries and an unexpectedly large vote from the public vote? And Ukraine have also got a large sympathy vote from the public in the past 2 years. A vote that I think has very little to do with the song and more to do with public sympathy for their war against Russia.

Wasn’t Sam pushed by Scott Mills or something?

Says a lot that someone who’s involved in the Eurovision bubble was able to push someone who was able to do well
I remember reading Sam picked up a lot of traction on social media and also tiktok in particular. So if we can just find someone who ticks all those boxes, has the most popular song, as well as technically on point, that would be great 😂

Reactions: 4
I think the problem is the UK rarely submits anyone who is 'likeable'. Sam Ryder did so well because his personality shone through, in all of his interviews he appeared genuinely pleasant and popular amongst the other contestants. I think he appeared legitimately happy and proud to be there, scrapping that image of the UK being embarrassed by even turning up. Very few other UK acts have been able to achieve that.

I think that charisma is much more important than any 'big name' we could submit!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I still love this it's one of the only Eurovision I remember from the 00s. I have the song downloaded on my phone

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I think the problem is the UK rarely submits anyone who is 'likeable'. Sam Ryder did so well because his personality shone through, in all of his interviews he appeared genuinely pleasant and popular amongst the other contestants. I think he appeared legitimately happy and proud to be there, scrapping that image of the UK being embarrassed by even turning up. Very few other UK acts have been able to achieve that.

I think that charisma is much more important than any 'big name' we could submit!
In the 80s, UK and Ireland (one or both of them) did well, as in at least top 5. Probably because at the time only they were allowed sing in English. I do get the feeling we're viewing as somewhat 'outsiders' these days. Between us twelve wins I think?

Also, Sam was completely unironic about the whole thing. He looked like he was having the time of his life and was totally on board with Eurovision. He actually took it seriously. Whereas a lot of British acts come across as being a bit above it all, like Eurovision is beneath them or something. Even Olly gave the impression at times that, as an established act, he would just swoop in and wow everyone, like Eurovision was his for the taking. Audiences don’t like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 33