Eurovision Song Contest 2023 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If she'd nailed the first two lines and they had text up hammering home the message behind it then it would have probably done a bit better.

The staging would have been good for an arena tour where people know the song. Not for a casual TV audience.

I think they expected it to do well like Israel with their Sia-type song. But that was vocally good and the meaning was obvious.

It's nothing unique to the UK doing well then going straight to the back next year, happens regularly.

If tap pick the next entry they need to cover the basics and get someone that can deliver vocally on an appropriate song.

Reactions: 4
I’ve always wondered why we don’t pick a cultural song. So many other countries do it, ours is always very mainstream. We have lots to choose from, bagpipes, Gaelic language, Welch, even Cornish. We have a strong folk music scene we could use. Might as well try something different, what’s the worst? We come last 🤷‍♀️.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I’ve always wondered why we don’t pick a cultural song. So many other countries do it, ours is always very mainstream. We have lots to choose from, bagpipes, Gaelic language, Welch, even Cornish. We have a strong folk music scene we could use. Might as well try something different, what’s the worst? We come last 🤷‍♀️.
I quite like this idea. We should send some bagpipes and some folky pagan dancing around around a guy dressed up as the green man 😁

It probably would score higher than Mae 😄

Reactions: 8
Wales entered the junior competition, sung in Welsh and placed last. Tried again and looks like they were third from last. I didn't even know there was a jr Eurovision.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Wales entered the junior competition, sung in Welsh and placed last. Tried again and looks like they were third from last. I didn't even know there was a jr Eurovision.

Me either! That's a shame for them. They teach Welsh in schools again these days, it's a great idea.

Reactions: 3
Definitely. The girls are great singers, have presence and the songs were good. Perhaps the competition was strong. Scotland was in talks about entering but nothing ever came of it. UK will be entering the Nov 2023 competition. I'm laughing at how much better the jr acts are!

2003. 3rd

2004. 2nd

2005. 15th

2022. 5th

Reactions: 2
Loreen was just on the one show, she was a bit more animated than on the night. I think she has a permanent zen energy/expression to her.

Didn't join in the chat here before as didn't realise there was a thread....but we are on Tuesday & I cannot get Norways Song out of my head lol (I did like it) & if I am honest thought she looked hot too!

When do we find out the city for next year? I live in Denmark near Copenhagen, so crossing fingers for Malmø so I can go with my daughter 😅

Been seeing Mae pop up allover tik tok which is expected, but I can't get past her hair and how short the front is. I get it's part of the whole sort of 90's/00's vibe she's going for but it's so much so short compared to the rest. It really bugs me and I think it looks daft when it's straight 😂

Reactions: 1
I’ve found it interesting that none of the other acts have mentioned Mae in their goodbye to Eurovision posts. It feels like a lot of them have made good friendships there and she wasn’t one of them.

Reactions: 4
Sad that I missed the big night, I loved the last few Eurovisions on here with you all such a laugh. Having not heard anything about the interval show, I thought the plane taking me on holiday must have travelled through time when I made it to my hotel room in Spain and saw Sonia singing Better the Devil You Know, resplendent in her classic purple attire. 🤪 She looked great.

I hadn't heard Tattoo before I heard Loreen sing it after winning, but I've had it on my holiday playlist ever since. Another banger, a consummate performer, fantastic production. Made our song sound like a tinny bargain basement ditty with the stage performance of a Butlins show. I Wrote a Song reminds me of something Cheryl Cole would've churned out, but Cheryl would have done a better job. For the future, this clearly means more Spaceman, less I Wrote A Song.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’ve found it interesting that none of the other acts have mentioned Mae in their goodbye to Eurovision posts. It feels like a lot of them have made good friendships there and she wasn’t one of them.
This is interesting cos when the presenters asked I think the Italian guy and Loreen whether there had been any backstage drama, they kind of dodged the question! Surely if there hadn’t been they would’ve been like “omg, no, everyone is so lovely” and all that standard “everything is amazing” Eurovision crap (that came out soooo much more cynical than I intended but you know what I mean. It’s all about positivity). They could’ve just both bodged the wording but 👀

Mae might be a perfectly nice girl but she comes across as a bit smug. She’s not a Eurovision personality. I don’t feel like she did any promo in other countries either. That’s how Sam won people over last year, he’s very affable and put a lot of effort into visiting other places. You saw it with the other contestants this year like the guys from Slovenia and Finland. I didn’t see any interviews with Mae and other contestants. Ultimately if you want any European countries to vote for the UK, you’ve got to get out there and make them like you, sell yourself. Even if the song isn’t great, if there is a really big personality it goes a long way to getting votes. I don’t think the UK intended to win this year anyway, so we didn’t put much effort into getting a great song and a great performer/personality etc. All the effort went into putting on the show.

Reactions: 7
Yeah Mae kind of acts like she’s “above” Eurovision to me? Like the others have embraced being silly and making friends whereas she took it quite seriously
Also her videos/memes about coming nearly last (I saw one on loveofhuns) just come across as awkward rather than funny

or maybe she just wasn’t embraced by the others and they formed a clique? No way to know i suppose

Reactions: 9