Eurovision Song Contest 2023 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd forgotten that awful Spanish entry had come dead last in the public vote. 90 point difference between the public and the jury vote. That's quite a gap.

The public and the jury seemed to agree on (10 points or less difference):

Israel
Italy
Cyprus
France
Serbia
UK

Reactions: 8
I'd forgotten that awful Spanish entry had come dead last in the public vote. 90 point difference between the public and the jury vote. That's quite a gap.

The public and the jury seemed to agree on (10 points or less difference):

Israel
Italy
Cyprus
France
Serbia
UK
I hadn't even clocked that spain had come last in the public vote. I don't know what the juries were thinking with that one...

Reactions: 6
I'd forgotten how crap Eurovision is. Its social media that makes it fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm no Mel fan, but she wasn't too bad 🤣 I don't Think Graham wanted anyone doing the voiceover to outshine him 😅, as Rylan or Scott would have been the obvious choice imo.

Sweden 2016 was fantastic, so no doubt they'll pull out all the stops next year!

Reactions: 7
I'm no Mel fan, but she wasn't too bad 🤣 I don't Think Graham wanted anyone doing the voiceover to outshine him 😅, as Rylan or Scott would have been the obvious choice imo.

Sweden 2016 was fantastic, so no doubt they'll pull out all the stops next year!
The problem with Mel was that she wasn't Graham Norton. I don't think she did a BAD job, but she did talk over stuff a little too much.

I think, all in all, it was a very slick show and the BBC can be proud of what they produced. We've certainly sat through much worse over the years. Hopefully next year will bring back the power couple of Mans and Petra.

I loved Dadi covering Whole Again, overall one of the best interval shows Eurovision had had in a while. You'll never walk alone was such a beautiful touching moment.

Reactions: 16
I quite liked the Estonian entry.

The Serbian entry: didn't like the lyrics or vocals and I thought the instrumentation sounded like a bad impression of Nine Inch Nails c. 2000.

Reactions: 3
I'm not sure Mae, I think there were also the girls that couldn't hear the lyrics 😬. I'm sure they could have done the song differently to give a better result.

I blame tap for choosing a song where the live performance was never really going to work that well. Going for a dua lipa type is a good idea, but needed to be executed differently. Notice how they aren't joining in telling her how amazing it was and she slayyed unlike many of the other comments on her post.

Screenshot_20230514_203116_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230514_203200_Instagram.jpg

I don't think her outfit choice helped either. Black wasn't the right colour choice.

Reactions: 11
I hope Mae does go on to get a career. Can see her presenting.

Must be so flat now it's all over after touring around Europe for the last few months with a busy schedule.

Reactions: 5
It's not my type of music at all and I still think she was one of the better acts. I loved the graphics or whatever it's called behind her too, something Brits keep complaining about. It's the kind of music we make that charts in Europe so I don't understand why they didn't take to it. It's not a winner, but second to last? 🤨

Sounded way better in the venue. That's the semi-final where she didn't sound as good too.

It's not my type of music at all and I still think she was one of the better acts. I loved the graphics or whatever it's called behind her too, something Brits keep complaining about. It's the kind of music we make that charts in Europe so I don't understand why they didn't take to it. It's not a winner, but second to last? 🤨

Sounded way better in the venue. That's the semi-final where she didn't sound as good too.

And the crowd went mild 😴...
Probably down to nerves but it really sounds like she's holding back in that performance. I think after hearing the song on the radio for what feels like weeks and weeks on end, I just expected a much bigger and better performance. More of a show off outfit, a large stage presence and loads of dancers etc. She looked like she mix between an Ann summers party and an office job. I agree with the visuals behind her, they were great at the start but then it felt a bit like they dragged on and there was nothing else to the performance. She really seemed to enjoy herself performing and take it all in, so that was enjoyable to watch.
The entire thing wasn't terrible just it just wasn't good enough.

I still say the result was a fix. I phoned the voting line, and voted for Israel but according to Graham Norton, I voted for Cyprus. Thanks for that Graham!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Mae sounded out of breath and out of tune on the televised performance, very disappointing considering how great it sounded on the radio. Some people are just not cut out for live performances without the help of all the studio jjggery pokery.

Didn't realise there was a thread for eurovision! Should have known!

I liked the UK song and its grown on me, but the performance was terrible. We thought you could barely hear her singing, the outfit was wrong and the staging was just boring. Huge shame, could have been so much better, but I can see why we came 2nd last!

Loved Finland and wanted them to win! Loreen was good, but didn't really keep our attention.

Best moment was Dadi, made me love Whole Again, again!

Reactions: 11

Thanks for that, it certainly sounds better there. And the staging works really well with a long shot.

You're right that this music is exported all over Europe, but it's a different demographic and people have to instantly like it.

Similarly the Danish entry I thought was great:

But it didn't work live. The biggest pop stars of the last few decades often murdered their own songs live, but it didn't matter so much when people know the studio versions so well.

Reactions: 3
I was looking at the voting breakdown and quite a few jury votes gave Finland nothing (including UK) yet every public vote gave Finland points. Reflects how out of touch some juries are. We had shaznay Lewis and Heidi from sugar babes on our jury as well.

Reactions: 7