Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Libertine1975

VIP Member
I loved Dadi covering Whole Again, overall one of the best interval shows Eurovision had had in a while. You'll never walk alone was such a beautiful touching moment.

Reactions: 16

Raquencha

Chatty Member
I’ve always wondered why we don’t pick a cultural song. So many other countries do it, ours is always very mainstream. We have lots to choose from, bagpipes, Gaelic language, Welch, even Cornish. We have a strong folk music scene we could use. Might as well try something different, what’s the worst? We come last 🤷‍♀️.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

sazzles88

Didn't realise there was a thread for eurovision! Should have known!

I liked the UK song and its grown on me, but the performance was terrible. We thought you could barely hear her singing, the outfit was wrong and the staging was just boring. Huge shame, could have been so much better, but I can see why we came 2nd last!

Loved Finland and wanted them to win! Loreen was good, but didn't really keep our attention.

Best moment was Dadi, made me love Whole Again, again!

Reactions: 11

UnknownTattler

VIP Member
After checking Ticketmaster every five minutes last week I finally managed to get tickets for the final rehearsal on Saturday afternoon, and made the trek down to Liverpool which was just covered in Eurovision, there was a really good atmosphere in the city.
After Sweden performed I thought 'that's the winner', but then the crowd went mad for Finland and I thought 'if anyone is going to beat Sweden Finland will'. There was a huge reaction for Mae too of course, and she sounded fine in the arena, it's a shame it didn't come over as well on the screen.
The Liverpool songbook interval was really good, I've never been a huge fan of You'll Never Walk Alone, but it was a really moving moment.
Now to catch up on the last two threads 😅

• Heart

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
Just reading wiki and apparently Mae went to the same Uber expensive private school as Brooklyn Beckham. I think her 'smugness' probably comes from being a bit of a overindulged rich kid with industry contacts, when in reality Mae is to singing what Brooklyn is to photography 🤣

Yel

Chatty Member
In all fairness to the jury, they’re judging on a different criteria to the public. The public vote is basically “I liked it” whereas the jury should have a more critical perspective
Agree. I never really get the argument that the jury shouldn't exist because it's often got a different opinion to the public. Like that's the whole point of them.

Sure it's not perfect, but the jury isn't supposed to mirror the public. The show is all the better with the two separate set of votes, kinda like a 2nd chamber.

I don't trust the public to vote on anything, boaty mc boatface and all that.

• Heart

StrawberryBanana90

Chatty Member
Yeah Mae kind of acts like she’s “above” Eurovision to me? Like the others have embraced being silly and making friends whereas she took it quite seriously
Also her videos/memes about coming nearly last (I saw one on loveofhuns) just come across as awkward rather than funny

or maybe she just wasn’t embraced by the others and they formed a clique? No way to know i suppose

Reactions: 9
Sorry for being dim, but what do you mean by cultural route? Traditional music from those countries or no longer enter as the UK?
I've seen a few comments elsewhere about us sending someone singing in welsh etc so I'm assuming that. It would be nice to show we have other languages in the UK.

Reactions: 9
I'm no Mel fan, but she wasn't too bad 🤣 I don't Think Graham wanted anyone doing the voiceover to outshine him 😅, as Rylan or Scott would have been the obvious choice imo.

Sweden 2016 was fantastic, so no doubt they'll pull out all the stops next year!
The problem with Mel was that she wasn't Graham Norton. I don't think she did a BAD job, but she did talk over stuff a little too much.

I think, all in all, it was a very slick show and the BBC can be proud of what they produced. We've certainly sat through much worse over the years. Hopefully next year will bring back the power couple of Mans and Petra.

Reactions: 8

Pipsy

VIP Member
Not a new PB article, but relevant. On why we have poor success. Screenshots because it's paywalled and won't archive.

Attachments

Yel

Chatty Member
I'm not sure Mae, I think there were also the girls that couldn't hear the lyrics 😬. I'm sure they could have done the song differently to give a better result.

I blame tap for choosing a song where the live performance was never really going to work that well. Going for a dua lipa type is a good idea, but needed to be executed differently. Notice how they aren't joining in telling her how amazing it was and she slayyed unlike many of the other comments on her post.

Screenshot_20230514_203116_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230514_203200_Instagram.jpg

Spilttea

VIP Member
Mae sounded out of breath and out of tune on the televised performance, very disappointing considering how great it sounded on the radio. Some people are just not cut out for live performances without the help of all the studio jjggery pokery.

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
I’ve always wondered why we don’t pick a cultural song. So many other countries do it, ours is always very mainstream. We have lots to choose from, bagpipes, Gaelic language, Welch, even Cornish. We have a strong folk music scene we could use. Might as well try something different, what’s the worst? We come last 🤷‍♀️.
I quite like this idea. We should send some bagpipes and some folky pagan dancing around around a guy dressed up as the green man 😁

It probably would score higher than Mae 😄