Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Only recently tuned in, has UK performed?
UK pay big money to avoid the semis.
This semi has gone rapidly downhill since San Merino! UK entry better than most of these but we will still be last 😄
Blimey the 80's are back with a vengeance this year!

Reactions: 5
My top five for Saturday:

1. Italy
2. Malta
3. Iceland (I just adore them!)
4. Russia
5. Lithuania

Think Azerbaijan are the dark horse and I’m weirdly liking Portugal.

Reactions: 3
I’ crying over Denmark not qualifying but very happy for Finland, Bulgaria and Switzerland

Think Azerbaijan are the dark horse and I’m weirdly liking Portugal.
I think Portugal may be the dark horse tbh

I'm still not really set on a clear winner and I think it's because the song quality this year is a bit eh

I was expecting more from France after I heard they were favourites but their song seems to be just her repeating Voila the whole time and humming to the tune???

Reactions: 2
I bloody love San Marino this year, I don't know where they procured Flo Rida from but good on them, I hope they get their best ever result this year :) it went a bit downhill after that with a fair few dull and forgettable songs, and Georgia felt like the longest three minutes of my life :oops: But there's some good songs in the final, and I still couldn't call who's going to win.

I miss Jon Ola though :cry:

My favourites got through!

Lithuania (the dance moves ❤)
Russia
Ukraine

I like the quirkier ones rather than the normal pop songs. Roll on Thursday!
Ukraine and Russia hurt my ears. Why are people even liking these songs?(n)(n)

I’m in lots of different Eurovision Groups and press and it’s quite funny how on here people are complaining about this year and the songs being meh but in those groups people are going wild for the amount of good songs we have this year 😂

• Haha
I’m in lots of different Eurovision Groups and press and it’s quite funny how on here people are complaining about this year and the songs being meh but in those groups people are going wild for the amount of good songs we have this year 😂
I’m not complaining! I’m not sure if they’re manufactured, or not, but the louche and immaculately presented Italian entry is genius! I’ve also been playing ‘10 Years’ by Daði og Gagnamagnið on a loop this morning and I’m convinced they’re going to go on to really good things after the competition. I think people expect an ABBA or Lorena every year but actually, some years all you need are The Roop finger dancing in canary yellow with a catchy as f*ck banger to make the competition brilliant. Also, I cannot wait to hear what Graham Norton says tomorrow to the hemp growing Ukrainians. Such a crappy year or two, this has cheered me right up.

I can't understand why Italy are the bookies favourites to win. Ok its not the normal eurovision fodder song but it does nothing for me!
I think it stands out because it’s not ripping off Lisso, Lady GaGa or The WeekNd like so many of the other entries. It’s beautifully presented and the styling is on point with the band looking like they wouldn’t be out of place in a spread inside Italian Vogue. It doesn’t have the originality and likeability of Iceland, the quirkiness of Lithuania or the zeitgeist hitting appeal of Russia or Malta but it really is a quality song brilliantly presented. It won’t be my absolute favourite if it comes out on top but it will be a really worthy winner, I think. So long as the winner isn’t somebody in a bloody sparkly leotard I’ll be happy in my living room.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It doesn’t have the originality and likeability of Iceland, the quirkiness of Lithuania or the zeitgeist hitting appeal of Russia or Malta but it really is a quality song brilliantly presented.
I also think it's not too repetitive like Lithuania, Finland or to some extent even Ukraine. It obviously does lack some quirk but quirk seems to be a bit of a disappearing factor in Eurovision winners these days, so a lot of the songs are starting to sound very radio friendly and overly simple - I'm sure if I spoke Italian I'd probably think they're fairly basic
Plus Italy has the added effect of sending very good songs each year so there's the expectation that they will do well

Our entry doesn't stand a cats chance of winning. James comes over as a pleasant guy but I certainly wasn't blown away by that clip we saw of the performance. I predict bottom 5 again for the UK despite the fact that many of the other songs are very mediocre.

I believe that some of the other countries resent the big 5 and their automatic pass to the final. If we quit as a major funder and entered on the same level as everyone else it might improve things. Ok we might not qualify every year but we would have to up our game in terms of quality and perhaps could invest money in a similar selection process to Sweden.

In my view this would be a better way to spend the money. It's time the BBC lost the right to dictate our entry

Reactions: 6
Our entry doesn't stand a cats chance of winning. James comes over as a pleasant guy but I certainly wasn't blown away by that clip we saw of the performance. I predict bottom 5 again for the UK despite the fact that many of the other songs are very mediocre.

Let's face it. We could send Adele or Ed Sheeran and we wouldn't win.

I really like our song. It's one of our better entries. We are number 9 in the running order. Not too bad. San Marino are last.

Gutted Denmark didn't make it.

Let's face it. We could send Adele or Ed Sheeran and we wouldn't win.
We don't really know that though. The problem really is the fact that we send bad/below average songs, like this year it's a very outdated song imo and we could do with something radio friendly and fresh - sort of what Sweden usually tends to do, or what Duncan did two years ago now.
I also think that UK maybe suffers from a lack of 'recognisable' culture, a lot of the Baltic countries can afford to send slightly older sounding entries that are still good-sounding because they have that Baltic culture feel to them, though I'm admittedly slightly biased there.

Sure, political voting isn't the best thing out there but it also doesn't make as much difference as people seem to think it does. The songs need to hit the sweet spot between jury voting (radio friendly, modern or have a good message and vocals seemingly) and the public (a bit more quirky and different or able to stand out with good vocals and the like seemingly)

We don't really know that though. The problem really is the fact that we send bad/below average songs, like this year it's a very outdated song imo and we could do with something radio friendly and fresh - sort of what Sweden usually tends to do, or what Duncan did two years ago now.
I also think that UK maybe suffers from a lack of 'recognisable' culture, a lot of the Baltic countries can afford to send slightly older sounding entries that are still good-sounding because they have that Baltic culture feel to them, though I'm admittedly slightly biased there.

Sure, political voting isn't the best thing out there but it also doesn't make as much difference as people seem to think it does. The songs need to hit the sweet spot between jury voting (radio friendly, modern or have a good message and vocals seemingly) and the public (a bit more quirky and different or able to stand out with good vocals and the like seemingly)
I feel like the UK likes to play it too safe or go they go way too overboard (Scooch with Flying the Flag anyone?) I saw someone on Reddit suggest we should send Muse and honestly that's the sort of thing I'd love to see! A successful band with a recognisable sound and overall good music

Yes I agree. I think if we did send someone like Ed Sheerhan or Adele with a great song people would vote for it (not that they would do it).

The songs we've sent in recent years are trailing behind not leading the way which is depressing considering Britain used to lead the world in terms of popular music last century.

I feel like the UK likes to play it too safe or go they go way too overboard (Scooch with Flying the Flag anyone?) I saw someone on Reddit suggest we should send Muse and honestly that's the sort of thing I'd love to see! A successful band with a recognisable sound and overall good music
Honestly, I'd rather we go back to the going overboard days of Scooch than the dross we send right now. Also, I do actually love Flying the Flag, it's so awful, but I love it.

Yes I agree. I think if we did send someone like Ed Sheerhan or Adele with a great song people would vote for it (not that they would do it).

The songs we've sent in recent years are trailing behind not leading the way which is depressing considering Britain used to lead the world in terms of popular music last century.
I think its a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts ( I know that's the wrong term, but I cant think of the right one) where no one with any recognition is going to put themselves up for the humiliation that is the UK at Eurovision, so we don't get anyone well known to go or write songs for it. last place is the kiss of death for any up and coming artist and it just doesnt have the credibilty here amongst the music industry. I think we are still big hitters in the real music business ( The US and UK market, as well as Europe and the Far Easy) but Eurovision is a world of its own where we are terrible. I really like our song, but it was sung slightly out of tune with rubbish staging compared to the others, so wont make an impact.

I think we seriously need to up the ante on terms of who we send.

For years now we have sent mediocre acts with mediocre songs. The last time we sent anyone barely recognisable that did ok was Blue or Andrew Lloyd Webber. I don't count Bonnie Tyler or Englebert Humperdinck.

I had my tongue firmly in cheek when I said about sending Adele. I'm sure we'd be taken a lot more seriously if we took the competition a lot more seriously. We spend all that money on the competition and then send bland acts.

Why don't they try and get Robbie Williams? Little Mix ? That's what some of the other countries do. In the old days we did send our biggest stars.

• Heart
It would be interesting to see UK try sending the wonder of X Factor or something similar which is what some other countries do

sure, Eurovision isn’t that well recognised among the industry but a lot of the X factor winners don’t seem to do a whole lot anyway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.