Eugenia Cooney

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can only imagine what a therapist would think if the whole family showed up for family therapy. There’s poor Eugenia who is near death, her very strange and enabling mother, and her morbidly obese brother. I don’t know about the father but imagine that he’s probably emotionally cut off. Since she is totally dependent on her parents, it is within their power to get a court order and have her admitted to a care facility and I can’t believe they are not doing that. She is literally dying in front of them.
When she eventually dies deb will release a book where she paints herself as trying to help Eugenia. As heartless as it sounds I’ve given up caring about her now, it’s the young girls on Twitter replying to her posts wishing they could be as thin as her that I care about now.

Reactions: 3
Unfortunately I think we're in the last weeks/months here. I will be shocked if she makes it to the end of the year

• Sad
Reactions: 7
My heart goes out to her, it’s so so awful 😢😢 I didn’t know about her brother being overweight, that’s interesting

• Sad
Reactions: 2
This is so sad, we are literally watching her die.
Sadder still is that nobody seems to be doing anything to help.
Honestly if she was here in the UK she most likely would be sectioned & forced to eat or get tube fed. At this point I have no idea how she can even function...physically or mentally.

Reactions: 10
This is so sad, we are literally watching her die.
Sadder still is that nobody seems to be doing anything to help.
Honestly if she was here in the UK she most likely would be sectioned & forced to eat or get tube fed. At this point I have no idea how she can even function...physically or mentally.
American here. Can you please explain how it works in the UK? Could someone other than her parents have her sectioned?

American here. Can you please explain how it works in the UK? Could someone other than her parents have her sectioned?
Yes, in England & Wales, adults can be sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983. For people with anorexia, to be treated against their will, they would have to be sectioned on the grounds that they are seriously ill and their life is at risk.

Reactions: 7
Yes, in England & Wales, adults can be sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983. For people with anorexia, to be treated against their will, they would have to be sectioned on the grounds that they are seriously ill and their life is at risk.

Yes, and she would definitely be sectioned if she was in the UK. She would be deemed too sick to make decisions for the good of her health.

Anyone can start the process for the person at risk - the police, A doctor, A social worker, a family member etc. You could take the person to A+E (ER) and they could be detained at the hospital initially.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Thanks so much for replying. But who would have the ability to get someone sectioned if the parents won't do it? Her friends got her into treatment once but after Eugenia came home there was always an attorney around to make sure it didn't happen again. He was even there during the Shane Dawson interview. This is all so frustrating and heartbreaking to watch.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
So it depends on the section (there are loads!). Under Section 135 police have powers to enter the home and take the person to be assessed by an approved healthcare professional or doctor (so yes, in the UK in a similar situation, there would have been a lawful intervention). Under section 5(4), nurses can detain someone in hospital for a limited time, pending assessment, under 5(2), doctors can do the same. These are in emergency situations. In non-emergency situations, family members, the GP etc can raise concerns and request an assessment.

Under formal assessment by a specialty trained doctor, someone can be sectioned for 28 days under Section 2, and up to 6 months under Section 3 (and this can be renewed).

Reactions: 5
So what exactly is the process in the US for people like eugenia? What support services or laws are there for cases like this? Obviously here we have the nhs (thank god!) so here whilst complex someone can access support services but surely there are financial complications in the US of forcing someone of her age to get treatment?

Sadly, I think she’s lived so long with this now, the organ damage will be significant and long term even if she did seek treatment.

Could she not be put under a conservatorship?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
So what exactly is the process in the US for people like eugenia? What support services or laws are there for cases like this? Obviously here we have the nhs (thank god!) so here whilst complex someone can access support services but surely there are financial complications in the US of forcing someone of her age to get treatment?

Sadly, I think she’s lived so long with this now, the organ damage will be significant and long term even if she did seek treatment.

Could she not be put under a conservatorship?
Each state has its own laws regarding consevatorship. She has the right to not eat if she doesn’t want to since she is an adult, but I checked the CT Probate Court site and it looks like a family member (or anyone who is concerned, really) can petition the court to say she is not able to take care of herself and is in danger and then the court decides if she needs a conservator. It seems like if someone could actually get her in front of a judge that it would be obvious she needs help, however, she also has a right to an attorney so who knows how that would turn out. I’m not sure if CT has an emergency hold similar to the CA 5150 (72 hour hold) or how that would work or lead to a conservatorship.

I believe she’s said before that her brother needs additional help. I think it was at the beginning iirc, she had to leave her stream because her brother was having an argument in the background. She said that this is why he never appeared in her videos too. Makes you wonder how much support he’s getting considering Eugenia clearly gets next to none

Reactions: 3
Her father is a financial executive in Manhattan so I don’t think they rely on her income. They definitely have enough money to get her into the best kind of longterm facility. She is an adult and cannot be forced into treatment, however, since she lives in their home and is totally dependent on them I don’t understand why they don’t put consequences on her refusing to get help, such as get help or move out. They have that power and in CT could even petition the court to get conservatorship over her. It’s disgusting that they do nothing. I sincerely believe that her mother is mentally ill and doesn’t want Eugenia to get help because then she might actually become a healthy adult (physically and mentally) and move on with her own life. She is never going to get well as long as she continues to live with that woman. It’s really sad.
Is she ever in Los Angeles anymore? When she went there I had hoped she would get better being away from her mother.

Reactions: 1
I think when she dies her family will be very nonchalant about it and sweep it under the rug… just a statement like “our darling Eugenia passed away peacefully, we will miss her forever” then just like never talk about it again

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I think when she dies her family will be very nonchalant about it and sweep it under the rug… just a statement like “our darling Eugenia passed away peacefully, we will miss her forever” then just like never talk about it again
It’ll be this or a tell all book from the mother

Reactions: 1
It’ll be this or a tell all book from the mother
Or from the family attorney trying to vindicate himself for just standing by, watching, while Eugenia starved herself to death. I wonder if he could get his license to practice law taken away for unethical behavior. Does he have any other clients other than Deb? He must be getting paid a pretty penny to keep his mouth shut. What a sleazebag. (In case anybody is wondering, the attorney was present and can be seen on-camera during the Shane Dawson interview)

Whenever you hear her mother speak I always hear her slurring her words or doesn’t something seem right with her?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.