Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Crazycatlady18

VIP Member
Love this show! Makes me want to buy a chateau 😂 though some of their taste isn’t for me. The butterflies up the wall and vintage isn’t my jam but I get she’s trying to keep it in keeping with its age. Love dick (lol) but his tash gives me the heebie jeebies 😂

Reactions: 4

Comewhinewithme

VIP Member
Dick is fatter though, looks like a walking heart attack waiting to happen. If I was Ang I wouldn't fancy the prospect of being left alone in a massive house in the middle of nowhere with the kids and a business to deal with
He kind of annoys me as you can hear how breathless he is just doing simple tasks. He definitely needs to thin down.

I know this is going to sound horrible, but little Arthur is getting very chubby. Why don't Dick and Angie do something about it? He's a cute kid but other children are very cruel to anyone who is a wee bit different. No-one wants to be the fat one at school.
He is, I did notice though that dicks children from the 1st marriage are slim. It was implied on here that Arther has additional needs (I have no idea if that is true) maybe between granny living there full time and mummy too busy with mini me, they over compensate with food. I agree though kids are so cruel.

Sabbie

VIP Member
I like them and the programme, the aviaries that they built have large domed roofs with lots of foliage and branches so I doubt the birds would be roasting - not that I think it was necessary to have them as I just imagined them flying out when you opened the door to feed them 🤷‍♀️ dick seems to be able to turn his hand to anything as well as cooking I think he is pretty amazing
Actually, there is zero shade around the aviaries so the minor branches and folaige inside them offer little to no shade as all. Coupled with a domed metal roof it is literally a roasting oven.

As far as staff are concerned, no amount of staff will be able to cool down those things in a French summer.

I loved them and their programme too but I am not going to overlook a shitty attitude towards poor birds that have no escape from the heat and sun because I think they're lovely people. 🙄

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
Just managed to listen to it, she sounds awful 😔 they've just released a statement saying there are two sides to every story but I have no idea what would warrant speaking to someone like that and using that language in a professional setting
Can you post it/screen record it - mad to hear it!!

Sliceofpizza

VIP Member
Not entirely comfortable with what they’ve done to Chateau de Basmaginee (sp?) CB though... Although everyone has worked it out CB are being sycophantic combined woe is me and passively (aggressively) expecting everyone to fight their battles!

ScottishTwat

Her kimonos, dressing gowns and turbans are fabulous! At home I wear kimono inspired dressing gowns, over torn leggings and T-shirts full of holes. I have not yet advanced to turban level, but I think I'm heading there.
She is wonderfully creative and he reminds me of my late father, with the walrus mustache and being able to do whatever my mother set her mind to. My mother also has red hair! I'm watching my parents!
I wish I had that kind of style - love that you’re rocking it. Tell me about your lippie, too.:unsure:

I've watched from the very first episode, absolutely love this show. Angel's style is amazing, really hope there's another Christmas at the chateau special this year!
Wait! A Christmas special???? Cancel the Queen’s speech. :geek:

• Haha

Sliceofpizza

VIP Member
Gosh really? Wow that sounds so boring. They are so grabilicious/money-making, lazy and predictable! Light bulb fix and a hair knot - unbelievable!

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
I had alot of questions after seeing that wedding. I mean in the height of summer do guests sit out in the baking sun melting? Cos temperatures in France really ramp up in summer. Do they only do small weddings? The orangery wouldn't hold a big reception so what happens then? Does everyone that has a wedding have to have the entire Strawbridge family joining in the celebrations? (usually the organisers do their best to be invisible, and make sure it all runs like clockwork but aren't seen, this wedding seemed like the dick and Angela show imo), how do Dick and Angela feel about people trashing their beloved chateau? , because trust me they do, it's not their home so they don't care, I've seen it first hand. People damage things and don't give a flying f**k. It's all a bit fairytale and not realistic for my liking.
Maybe the production company pay for the wedding in exchange for the footage? Or certainly the chateau bill. We usually see one or two per series. Minimal if you take her word at 15/20 weddings per year?

kev1974

VIP Member
I wonder if Dicks adult children are named anywhere in his will or whether it all goes to Angel, Arthur and Dorothy
He seems to get on with the son that was being a chef in some of this series' episodes so I imagine he's lined up for a chunk at least? Dick is getting on a bit now, I did wonder if the plan is to hand it over to that son to run events in.

Good thing that £725,000 chateau wasn't theirs, it would probably cost just as much again to get rid of all of Angela's shit wallpaper made from newspaper cuttings etc and skip hire for all the mouldy old tea sets and spider-infested ladders being used as shelves.

I did quite like the winter garden room they added on the back in the last but one episode, that was a decent addition. And the replacement windows on the entrance hall, thank goodness they kept them traditional, they were gorgeous.

I wanted the last episode to revisit some of their early projects and tell us if they were a success or not. For example the circular one-person lift that they inserted into one of the towers, and then have never mentioned since. Did it work or was it a waste of time and money?

Comewhinewithme

VIP Member
As someone who is obese & understands how it makes life so difficult it pains me to see photos of Arthur. Surely his parents are worried?
Agreed, though slim as a child to late 20s, I am now overweight and struggle so I'm extra careful with my kids so they aren't over weight as a result of my now bad habits.

Comewhinewithme

VIP Member
Did anyone watch tonights episode?
Yes a bit more transparent I felt, 'Dick and his team of chefs get to work' oh so they do have staff. Angel, I love to just give everything one last check over aka check what my team have done as pass it off as my own.
I wonder did she redo the confetti cones 😄
Also have they painted the château outside?

max

So thankful I found this thread!! I absolutely adore this show. My dad's best friend looked and sounded like fuck just makes the show even more lovely to me. My 9yr old son and I used to watch it in bed on a Sunday night before school the following day just gave us a lovely warm feeling before bedtime. Angel has given me loads of ideas! My kitchen is getting done up by me and I'm using loads of colours big bright colours!! It's a big kitchen so can take it. I'm so happy they got a puppy a Kerry blue as well they are a lovely dog I'd been saying for years them kids need a dog it's all that's missing from the beautiful childhood they are living. I just love the show gives me a lovely warm feeling inside!

Also when they ran out of money dick took on another job and was gone for several weeks think it may have been in America there's something about a tv programme he did in 2015 it's on wiki. It was also reported in a newspaper awhile back that since the wedding business took off that they weren't broke anymore so can now do bigger projects like the boat and camper

Last edited:
  • Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
The adult son on it tonight is cute
James.
He seems nice.
I remember him from when Dick and his first wife Bridget had a programme about self sufficiency. They lived in a lovely ramshackle old farmhouse somewhere - Devon? Dorset?

Angel's face always seems terribly red - high blood pressure?

They are both up their own arses
So annoying
Oh no, I like them! I think as the show has grown they’ve got chucked a lot of money by channel 4 (I’m sure I read it was one of the highest ratings). They defo have become less relatable with some of the larger, grander and somewhat unnecessary projects, but it keeps the content coming !

kev1974

VIP Member
Late to this, but totally not surprised. Angela sounded like a right nightmare that would be fake as fuck when the cameras are rolling.

These people start to think they're untouchable and can be an asshole.

Although the stories about shutting the company today are misleading. It's just the UK company that was probably only for the channel 4 income. Now that's not coming in it would make sense to close it. That doesn't mean they'll sell or stop running the business as all of that will come through the french accounts.

They could get another company to pick it up, but Angela would need to have a bit of humility and admit her twattery.

You're probably right about the French company and French accounts, although it has to be said that throughout the various series, they didn't exactly paint themselves as being at all integrated into French society or business methods like that. Apart from the farmer down the road helping out with a tractor or something occasionally, virtually every time they needed external help it was invariably someone brought over from the UK. She had years to show some integration by speaking some decent French on occasion but when she went to the market or some tat shop she was always an embarassment and you could tell the locals simply couldn't be arsed with her. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are two companies and one is for everything to do with the TV stuff, it's the second company actually being a local one that would surprise me.