Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sliceofpizza

VIP Member
Can you expand on this? What happened? 😱
They used their big guns to ‘remove’ them from the show, producers got in touch and said their content was boring. It obviously isn’t and the chateau is one of the most beautiful which apparently is what Dick and Angel didn’t like. However Chateau de Bas. were rather passive aggressive about the whole thing and acted as victims when in fact they should’ve just called them out. The 2 chateaus have quite a long history of ‘sharing’ ideas then calling the other ‘idea stealers’.

• Wow
Reactions: 4

kev1974

VIP Member
Was she a burlesque dancer?
She had a vintage clothing company and a vintage tea party company (the Vintage Patisserie, which she took on Dragons Den around 2010). I believe the Angel Adoree persona stems from that era.

ScottishTwat

I hated the caged birds in the middle of the carpark in full sun. Really put me off them in a massive way.
What??? I haven’t seen that. No, not ok! I’m not a fan of caged birds in any case, but ffs.

I read somewhere that they have an English 'squad' of builders that they bring over for work, but don't show them on the programme, giving the impression that Dick and Steve do it all.

I read somewhere that they have an English 'squad' of builders that they bring over for work, but don't show them on the programme, giving the impression that Dick and Steve do it all.

I don't think Angel in particular gives a toss, as long as she has the desired look.
I can quite believe there are more than just him & Steve.

I’m really shocked at this bird business. I haven’t seen that yet.

Me too. I doubt those birds survived the summer, but then again I'm sure they didn't care since it was all for the wedding season anyway. They had no way to escape the heat. Savages! 😒
I have to go google this as I haven’t seen it, and I can’t imagine wtf was going on.

I suspect Angel was the beginning of the end of Dick's first marriage. I still haven't forgiven him for that. I loved the programmes he did with her and their children. He was all about sustainability and eco-friendliness, which seems to have been forgotten about now! In their bio (which I suspect Angel wrote) there is no mention of Dick having older children. He only has 2 now apparently.
Ok, this is all stuff I had no idea about - so he was married when he met Angel & has older kids?

Not Now Bernard

Still enjoying the new format.
no idea where they get their energy from. Such a good combination of her creativity and his engineering mind. If me and Mr Bernard tried this it would be an unmitigated disaster.

• Haha

Fairyqueen

VIP Member
My dislike of the Strawbridges has been slow growing but having heard what they did to Michael Petheridge and his family I loathe them. Angela put out that she's the design genius while ripping off other people and turning everything into making money for HER. As for the way Dick patronises Arthur, the poor boy needs to be spoken to in a normal tone of voice and allowed to grow up. The self-satisfaction of Dick and Angela is stomach-turning and they both giggle and chortle as though everything they say is amusing. It isn't. Sorry to any of their fans.
What did they do to him?

pettyicequeen

I love all the chateau shows, I hope to move to France one day, if I could find a way of living with having to pay 50% of my earnings in taxes... 😳
The 50% are probably a false narrative, as far as I know France has progressive taxation, so you only pay 50% (actually it's 45% I believe) on your highest earning bracket and not the full income. Plus, these people can probably deduct tons of stuff from their taxes because the chateaux are their businesses, so fixing them up could count as a business expense. Doubt any of them pay more than the 30% most other people pay, potentially less in the first years of fixing them up because it's not like you can make a ton of profit.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
It's not theirs, just one that featured in the DIY spin off show...
That is really bad journalism. I've just read it properly. I think they've made some adjustments to the article from when I originally scanned it.
Thought I didn't recognise any of the photos.

I was obviously a bit slow on the uptake there. :rolleyes:

I can go back to thinking that that was the perfect ending to the show. 😁

dragonsden62

Chatty Member
absolutely love this show love the family and everything they have done

they work so hard and their attention to detail is just amazing. Good luck to them and their success.

Re comments about birds 🙄. They have so much staff around I’m sure they are well taken care off.
I like them and the programme, the aviaries that they built have large domed roofs with lots of foliage and branches so I doubt the birds would be roasting - not that I think it was necessary to have them as I just imagined them flying out when you opened the door to feed them 🤷‍♀️ dick seems to be able to turn his hand to anything as well as cooking I think he is pretty amazing

Fairyqueen

VIP Member
I love this show but i didn't like the kids being in the reception. It didn't look like there was other kids there so why did they think it was acceptable for their kids to be at the reception?

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
They're back tonight on Channel 4 with a new French travel show. Thought channel 4 had cut ties with them?

Reactions: 3

Behelzabobs

VIP Member
My dislike of the Strawbridges has been slow growing but having heard what they did to Michael Petheridge and his family I loathe them. Angela put out that she's the design genius while ripping off other people and turning everything into making money for HER. As for the way Dick patronises Arthur, the poor boy needs to be spoken to in a normal tone of voice and allowed to grow up. The self-satisfaction of Dick and Angela is stomach-turning and they both giggle and chortle as though everything they say is amusing. It isn't. Sorry to any of their fans.
Ooh not heard anything about Michael Petheridge

Pinchme

VIP Member
I love these two, they have worked dam hard to get what they now have, and not a #gifted or #AD in sight.

Saw somewhere that they brought the Chateau for about £280k, & its now worth over 2 million. ☺

Their kids seems to have the most wonderful out doorsy life, no technology in sight! They all seem so happy.
I looked at the prices for weddings, as it said they are booked up a year in advance, the prices are eye watering, but what a fab wedding venue, I bet they make it so special.