English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
the government said that they were planning to open 'holding centres' e.g at military bases
Reminded me of the use of Napier Barracks which were also deemed to not be very fit for living. I thought they had been closed but that doesn't seem to be the case?
The use of Napier Barracks to house asylum seekers: regret motion - House of Lords Library (parliament.uk)
Home Office publishes details of £70m contract to house asylum seekers | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian
Had a very quick scroll through but gives a good run down imo ^

Calls to end asylum outsourcing as private profits boom | NationalWorld
Clearsprings Ready Homes recorded profits of more than £34 million in the year to 31 January 2022, a massive increase from the previous year. The company attributed this huge jump in profits to the increased number of asylum applicants, particularly those staying in hotels.

Reactions: 1
As I understand it, the government started using hotels because the increase in the number of asylum seekers and catastrophic collapse of the asylum processing system meant that the 'temporary' accommodation (such as RAF Manston) was overflowing. Then people started complaining about the use of hotels so the government said that they were planning to open 'holding centres' e.g at military bases, holiday camps etc. Of course people close to facilities have protested about those plans too and some have been abandoned. I'm not clear where these other 'holding centres' "far away from communities" are but apparently the government hasn't thought of using those.
Don’t they have any construction firms in the UK then 🤔

Is this the solution the government has come up with?
What a kick in the teeth for all those people waiting in temporary accommodation while on the housing list. We shouldn’t have any Uk citizen without a home if council can afford to do this.

Reactions: 4
When house prices and rent are sky high and thousands of social homes were sold off, never mind the multi year waiting lists for housing... This definitely won't piss people off!

Reactions: 2
The problem is that there is really no viable and universally acceptable way to accommodate the 150,000 (and increasing) people waiting for their asylum claims to be considered. The use of hotels has been condemned as has housing provided by local authorities. People don't want 'holding centres' in existing sites (e.g. ex military bases, holiday camps etc). The idea that the UK could build new 'holding centres' far away from communities is ludicrous if only for cost and time reasons e.g. a planned cat C prison housing 1,440 men was given outline planning approval in 2019 and is expected to be completed in 2025 at a cost of £400 million. The government's overall plan to provide 20,000 new prison places is forecast to cost £3.75 billion. As I say there are currently around 150,000 people with asylum claims pending

We've been over the government's strategy for dealing with asylum before but it involves dramatically shrinking the number of people that are allowed to apply for asylum, reducing the rights to challenge refusals for those that are and using Rwanda to scare potential new asylum seekers off. The fundamental flaw in the government's plan is that they will still need to be able to deport unsuccessful asylum seekers. They won't all be able to go to Rwanda. I think the plan is only for a very small number per year. So the government will have to reach agreements with other countries to take rejected asylum seekers and unwanted illegal immigrants. I still don't see any sign that this is happening to any great degree. The suggestion from the government is that they will use granting visas to citizens of those countries as a leverage.

The problem is that there is really no viable and universally acceptable way to accommodate the 150,000 (and increasing) people waiting for their asylum claims to be considered.
This is the solution they seem to have come up with for the resettlement scheme Afghans and Ukrainians who have fallen out with their hosts

Wasn’t there a resettlement scheme before the Afghan one for Sudan too? Or was it another country? I wonder what happened with those people. The solution might not be that new

The one good thing I see is that the council seems to be saying that the money will also let them buy other homes for the people on their waiting list

Put under curfew, I take it there’s nowhere to move them to.
The Independent
understands that people who can stay with friends or family are being allowed to leave the Suites Hotel temporarily, as long as they provide proof of address and meet set conditions until the situation is resolved.
It may be that the hotels are relaxing rules a bit for now as usually you’re not allowed to have people staying over. Though some people also have family here

This is the solution they seem to have come up with for the resettlement scheme Afghans and Ukrainians who have fallen out with their hosts
So was this the plan all along? Fall out or not I never expected the host schemes to be permanent.

And let's hope it allows councils to buy more homes, we don't need any extra misplaced anger towards powerless people who are only trying to rebuild their lives.

It may be that the hotels are relaxing rules a bit for now as usually you’re not allowed to have people staying over. Though some people also have family here
They’re not staying over they’re allowing the people in the hotels to stay with family and friends .

So was this the plan all along? Fall out or not I never expected the host schemes to be permanent.
Monga posted above that there’s payment for 2 years for the host family. I don’t really think they ever planned for early fall outs and I doubt they have thought of what will happen if the war continues indefinitely or if people don’t want to move back to cities that need heavy rebuilding. It’s not exactly going to look great if they starts deporting Ukrainians after all of this public support for Ukraine
---
They’re not staying over they’re allowing the people in the hotels to stay with family and friends .
Yes, and there’s a good chance the majority of their friends are in other hotels. Immediate families are normally kept together but some (like siblings) are split up too and live in different hotels

Monga posted above that there’s payment for 2 years for the host family. I don’t really think they ever planned for early fall outs and I doubt they have thought of what will happen if the war continues indefinitely or if people don’t want to move back to cities that need heavy rebuilding. It’s not exactly going to look great if they starts deporting Ukrainians after all of this public support for Ukraine
---

Yes, and there’s a good chance the majority of their friends are in other hotels. Immediate families are normally kept together but some (like siblings) are split up too and live in different hotels
They’re looking at modular housing in Ireland to house asylum seekers and the Ukrainians.
---
---

Do they get proof of address for a hotel? I assumed it was those family and friends already settled.

Do they get proof of address for a hotel? I assumed it was those family and friends already settled.
Normally they will have documents with the address of the hotel which can be used as proof of address as I would understand. Important to highlight that I’m speculating this may be the case, hotels may not meet whatever conditions have been set out to leave temporarily

It's almost as if they have something to gain from there being a migrant "crisis"...

Talk about manufacturing a issue that can be used to their benefit. If we believe that they're working on it, we'll keep electing them until it's fixed.

Radical idea and probably not at all tenable but maybe the government should only allow X amount of men to claim asylum.