English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Homes for Ukraine scheme coming to an end
---
Irish government not coming across with the funds for hoteliers leaving them in debt

---
There’s also the case of the Afghan asylum seeker that took the gov to court over no offers of accommodation, people commenting there’s no direct flights from Afghanistan to Dublin so he obviously stopped over in another country before coming to Ireland so why didn’t he stay there as it was safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Radical idea and probably not at all tenable but maybe the government should only allow X amount of men to claim asylum.
Leaving aside that it might well be illegal, I presume that you are specifically suggesting that men be prevented from claiming asylum. What is your thinking behind that idea?

As you probably know, the government is planning to significantly reduce the number of people claiming asylum by making it illegal to come to the UK without permission. The question is what happens to those (men, women or children) that come anyway?

Leaving aside that it might well be illegal, I presume that you are specifically suggesting that men be prevented from claiming asylum. What is your thinking behind that idea?

As you probably know, the government is planning to significantly reduce the number of people claiming asylum by making it illegal to come to the UK without permission. The question is what happens to those (men, women or children) that come anyway?
Men cause the most problems when it comes to crime. Therefore less men, less crime!

Reactions: 2
Men cause the most problems when it comes to crime. Therefore less men, less crime!
So obviously you'll have some statistics or research to hand that shows that male asylum seekers are disproportionally disposed to commit crime compared with the rest of the male population.

• Angry
Reactions: 3
So obviously you'll have some statistics or research to hand that shows that male asylum seekers are disproportionally disposed to commit crime compared with the rest of the male population.
I meant out of asylum seekers as a whole. Who’s commuting the crimes the majority of the time? Men? Ergo if we let in less men there will be less crime from asylum seekers!

I meant out of asylum seekers as a whole. Who’s commuting the crimes the majority of the time? Men? Ergo if we let in less men there will be less crime from asylum seekers!
Look I'm only teasing really because you said yourself it's not tenable and the idea is too silly for words but your argument could just as easily be applied to all male immigrants or just all men. Let me know when you get to the latter scenario.

• Haha
Thanks for that. One thing I don't get, and I'm generalising a whole generation but it's true for the white collar workers I'm surrounded with.

The average gen z'er will go on about how the Tories are scum that are starving people to death, the UK is the least welcoming country and our European neighbors behave so much better. But the crossings may suggest France and other European countries aren't that great or that people have unrealistic expectations of the UK?
as someone from France let me give you more insight. I've also lived in the UK and can tell you the UK is a wayyyy easier place for a new comer to settle down in, job wise, administratively etc. France has a lot of financial aids hence why the population hates immigrants because they feel their high taxes go towards new "dark skin" (let's be honest) scroungers but administratively it is hard to adapt. In the UK, I had a much easier time, most people were nicer, less stressed out and I had an easier time finding work, also less racism. France is not a place made to welcome people and where they celebrate diversity, you assimilate or you struggle.

Seems that debt is the driving factor:
Kidnap is now used to demand payment from asylum seekers for the cost of crossing the Channel by small boat, which Blackwood said can cost £10,000 to £20,000.

DC Colin Ward from the force’s modern slavery unit said use of violence in “debt bondage” cases can be shocking. Recently, officers rescued a 16-year-old Vietnamese boy from a cannabis farm “whipped with wire”, beaten and tortured. Owing money to criminals means that even when found, there is a high risk children will go missing again.

“Unfortunately, they often do go missing because they have to pay that debt. We’re trying to document children more in that regard so we can find them somewhere safe,” said Ward.

I saw an article from a couple of years ago where an MP raised concerns about male asylum seekers following and photographing young girls, they were hanging outside the nearby school taking pics of the children doing PE , there was an incident where a group of men surrounded a 12 yr old girl and left her terrified, it was reported at the time to police and even the Home Secretary but nothing was done about it..Shocking!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I saw an article from a couple of years ago where an MP raised concerns about male asylum seekers following and photographing young girls, they were hanging outside the nearby school taking pics of the children doing PE , there was an incident where a group of men surrounded a 12 yr old girl and left her terrified, it was reported at the time to police and even the Home Secretary but nothing was done about it..Shocking!
When you say "nothing was done' I assume that you exclude the increased police presence at the school and the police investigation of the alleged incident involving the 12 year old girl after which Greater Manchester Police gave a statement “Officers were called at around 7.45am on September 8 to a report of a girl being approached by a group of males the previous evening. Enquiries established that a group of men had been in the vicinity of the girl while she was walking on Preston Road, Standish, at around 8pm on September 7. The girl had not been approached by the men".

Perhaps you just meant 'nothing was done' or indeed said by the then Home Secretary Priti Patel who failed to respond to a letter of concern sent by the local MP. That's hardly a surprise.

I was pleased to read the comment from one of the mothers of a child at the school “The last thing we want is all the right-wing thugs using this as an excuse to bring their toxic messages to Wigan again and whipping up racism.”.

Heard human rights lawyers helping them claim £150 pw PIP due to PTSD 🤦‍♀️
They wouldn't have heard of it until they were told. How long until british people are thrown out of their homes to make way for the illegal boat people? 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It’s costing about a million pounds a day to keep them in hotels , also why are they fleeing France ? It’s hardly a war torn country , our NHS and Schools are over stretched as it is.

Heard human rights lawyers helping them claim £150 pw PIP due to PTSD 🤦‍♀️
They wouldn't have heard of it until they were told. How long until british people are thrown out of their homes to make way for the illegal boat people? 🥴
By "them" I assume you mean asylum seekers. "They" (by which I mean asylum seekers) aren't eligible for PIP. People granted refugee status or given humanitarian protection might be able to claim PIP but they must have lived in the UK for 2 out of the previous 3 years.
---
It’s costing about a million pounds a day to keep them in hotels , also why are they fleeing France ? It’s hardly a war torn country , our NHS and Schools are over stretched as it is.
Oh it's costing much more than £1 million a day.

Also what's so special about France? They should stay in the first 'safe' country they come to right? Except of course they don't have to and you can bet that if the UK was the first 'safe' country for thousands or millions of refugees the same people moaning now would be bleating about other countries 'sharing the load'. Last. year we granted asylum to more people than in any recent year and it still only represented about 0.02% of the population. There is a reason that our NHS and schools are overstretched and it isn't refugees.

Last edited:
  • Angry
When you say "nothing was done' I assume that you exclude the increased police presence at the school and the police investigation of the alleged incident involving the 12 year old girl after which Greater Manchester Police gave a statement “Officers were called at around 7.45am on September 8 to a report of a girl being approached by a group of males the previous evening. Enquiries established that a group of men had been in the vicinity of the girl while she was walking on Preston Road, Standish, at around 8pm on September 7. The girl had not been approached by the men".

Perhaps you just meant 'nothing was done' or indeed said by the then Home Secretary Priti Patel who failed to respond to a letter of concern sent by the local MP. That's hardly a surprise.

I was pleased to read the comment from one of the mothers of a child at the school “The last thing we want is all the right-wing thugs using this as an excuse to bring their toxic messages to Wigan again and whipping up racism.”.
This is the article I read, so why was the police presence increased at the school? Doesn’t that say something to you or are you still throwing the right wing / racist card at concerned parents because they feel that men filming their children is wrong 🙄
74F8B9BF-B094-4B2D-8DA1-A5CA50B93D82.jpeg

People granted refugee status or given humanitarian protection might be able to claim PIP but they must have lived in the UK for 2 out of the previous 3 years.
Interestingly there seems to have been a case on the time condition of this but it seems to be limited to refugees

The fact the poster had heard about also seems to have come from Katie Hopkins judging by my short Twitter search

I just worry something very horrible is going to happen. People are being stoked by the media and it feels like a powder keg. It was bad enough when the place in Dover was attacked but I fear worse.

Because you can, at once, be concerned at uncontrolled mass migration but also want people to be treated like human beings. Believe it or not.

I just worry something very horrible is going to happen. People are being stoked by the media and it feels like a powder keg. It was bad enough when the place in Dover was attacked but I fear worse.

Because you can, at once, be concerned at uncontrolled mass migration but also want people to be treated like human beings. Believe it or not.
People who are concerned about mass migration and human rights are probably not attending hate-based rallies

People who are concerned about mass migration and human rights are probably not attending hate-based rallies
But that's not everyone? Most people do not attend rallies. Most don't even express their opinions because they know it will get them called names and have horrible assumptions made about their character.

I feel we should be able to hold those who attend rallies and intimidate people in hotels as being a whole group on their own. I feel they should not be seen as typical even though they are very loud.