English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don't think anyone said this?

Just that you, and possibly others, seem to operate on the conclusion that anyone in the news who is a 'migrant' has crossed by boat specifically
But you keep coming back to asylum seekers and then pointing out they’re not migrants as per the title of the thread?

Reactions: 1
But you keep coming back to asylum seekers and then pointing out they’re not migrants as per the title of the thread?
Moth explained in very good and clear detail on how UK law works when it comes to asylum seekers. Is it 97% that claim asylum when they arrive or more? The figure has been quoted an awful lot anyway

Given the first page I would assume the topic includes, and is primarily focused, on asylum seekers. You seem to work on the assumption that migrant = arrived by boat, and I can't tell if this is something the government messaging/media is leading you to believe or what is going on

Moth explained in very good and clear detail on how UK law works when it comes to asylum seekers. Is it 97% that claim asylum when they arrive or more? The figure has been quoted an awful lot anyway

Given the first page I would assume the topic includes, and is primarily focused, on asylum seekers. You seem to work on the assumption that migrant = arrived by boat, and I can't tell if this is something the government messaging/media is leading you to believe or what is going on
And you’re working on the assumption that all migrants are asylum seekers, when that’s not true.
I have posted about the other routes which seemed to confuse you even further , it’s seems no matter what I post there’s something wrong with it whether that be the source or terms 😂

Reactions: 2
They don’t have to say it ,it’s clear when they make out there’s an “ agenda “ or mention right wing or speculate to what type of newspapers you read , why you post articles that include black people even though they’re on trial accused of trafficking , then when you challenge them they try and gaslight 🙄
Good grief, it wasn't questioned because they were black it was questioned because it was a single instance of trafficking which was completely unrelated to people fleeing their home countries due to war or persecution.

It seems you're just as capable of jumping to conclusions as anyone else.

Good grief, it wasn't questioned because they were black it was questioned because it was a single instance of trafficking which was completely unrelated to people fleeing their home countries due to war or persecution.

It seems you're just as capable of jumping to conclusions as anyone else.
Maybe because you said people can be trafficked from Manchester to Liverpool it’s not just FOREIGNERS that do it ( or something to that degree) made me think that.
Actually it was London not Liverpool

Attachments

Maybe because you said people can be trafficked from Manchester to Liverpool it’s not just FOREIGNERS that do it ( or something to that degree) made me think that.
Actually it was London not Liverpool
Only to highlight the fact that this thread isn't about trafficking as a whole, and further prove that the article you shared was irrelevant to the discussion. You tried to relate someone being trafficked into the country under false pretenses to the trafficking which occurs due to the Channel crossings.

Yes, trafficking happens to those who come here through irregular or illegal routes to seek asylum, but trafficking as a general crime (such as Nigerian politicians taking advantage of poor market sellers to harvest their organs or people being trafficked from one end of the UK to the other) has nothing to do with this thread.

At this point, I have to believe that making strawman arguments are your superpower because you have a special way of bringing up the most irrelevant points which cause the discussion to stray.

A load of crap.

Before small boats, large numbers of people were arriving illegally in the back of lorries from France all throughout the 2000's and 2010's, when we were in the EU.

The checks carried out on lorries has now been toughened up, which has caused other methods to be used, such as small boats across the channel.
That's absolutely right. However I the article suggests that because Brexit removed our ability to return people under the Dublin Conventions it has created a backlog of people that should be leaving the country and encouraged people to cross the Channel because they know we have very limited options to remove them once they are here. The main suggestion is that the government must urgently seek to replace the Dublin Convention with new agreements. I'm sure you would agree with that.

Only to highlight the fact that this thread isn't about trafficking as a whole, and further prove that the article you shared was irrelevant to the discussion. You tried to relate someone being trafficked into the country under false pretenses to the trafficking which occurs due to the Channel crossings.

Yes, trafficking happens to those who come here through irregular or illegal routes to seek asylum, but trafficking as a general crime (such as Nigerian politicians taking advantage of poor market sellers to harvest their organs or people being trafficked from one end of the UK to the other) has nothing to do with this thread.

At this point, I have to believe that making strawman arguments are your superpower because you have a special way of bringing up the most irrelevant points which cause the discussion to stray.
It’s not irrelevant to me when you were blatantly insinuating I was being racist

---

That's absolutely right. However I the article suggests that because Brexit removed our ability to return people under the Dublin Conventions it has created a backlog of people that should be leaving the country and encouraged people to cross the Channel because they know we have very limited options to remove them once they are here. The main suggestion is that the government must urgently seek to replace the Dublin Convention with new agreements. I'm sure you would agree with that.
Weird ,when I said that I was the worst in the world, 1951 con and the literal term for asylum seeker was thrown with force 🙄

Last edited:
A few pages ago I responded to a post about asylum seekers "jumping the system" and an anecdotal tale about a work colleague who came to the UK 'the proper way' with an 'humanitarian visa'. I asked the poster a number of questions which unfortunately they did not feel able to answer. For the sake of completeness I thought I'd provide answers to some of them:

Q. Can you explain how someone would apply for a 'humanitarian visa' from outside the UK or indeed what is a 'humanitarian visa’?
A. There is no such thing as a ‘humanitarian visa’. An asylum seeker who does not meet the criteria for a grant of refugee status will be considered for ‘humanitarian protection’. The UK offers family visas, work visa, study visas, visitor visas and business visas.

Q. How many work visas were granted compared with successful asylum claims last year - does this show asylum seekers "jumping the system”
A. In the year to June 2022 the UK granted 331,233 work visas. 15,723 asylum seekers were granted refugee status.

Q. How long does it take to get a work visa compared with having an asylum claim considered - does this show asylum seekers "jumping the system”
A. It takes about 3 weeks to get a decision on an application for a work visa. The government says that an asylum seeker will usually have their claim decided within 6 months. In practice only 4% of claims are decided within this timescale. In 2021 the typical waiting time for an asylum application was between 1 and 3 years.

Q. How many people entered the UK with a visa last year, how many were given refugee status (or even applied for it) - are you suggesting we have "taxpayers funds, schooling, healthcare" for the former but not the latter?
A. In the year to June 2022 1.1 million people were granted entry visas. 72,027 applied for asylum, 15,723 applications were granted.

There was another question about the requirements to obtain a work visa that I'll answer in a separate post.

Thank you.

I found a figure that 91% applied for asylum and I calculated that meant the remaining 9% equated to 4,000 odd people. There are also reports from 2021 that say that 98% of people crossing channel apply for asylum (Home Office figure).

It's a bit more difficult to find out what happens to the few that don't apply for asylum but as far as I am aware there is no route for them to stay by applying for any other status. Surely anybody that doesn't apply for asylum is simply an illegal immigrant and subject to detention and removal. This is why one of the things I find difficult to understand is the talk about 'genuine economic migrants'. As far as I am concerned a 'genuine economic migrant' would equate to someone coming to the UK under a work visa (or perhaps another type of visa). They wouldn't be crossing the channel in a small boat so I don't understand why they get mentioned.

Like I said I’ve mentioned other forms of travel
And of course the problem of not being able to deport those that take advantage of the system, including criminals that the UK are powerless to deport since Brexit

Actually….
C41716A8-6AD5-4216-996C-FEB119C61630.jpeg

---

Thank you.

I found a figure that 91% applied for asylum and I calculated that meant the remaining 9% equated to 4,000 odd people. There are also reports from 2021 that say that 98% of people crossing channel apply for asylum (Home Office figure).

It's a bit more difficult to find out what happens to the few that don't apply for asylum but as far as I am aware there is no route for them to stay by applying for any other status. Surely anybody that doesn't apply for asylum is simply an illegal immigrant and subject to detention and removal. This is why one of the things I find difficult to understand is the talk about 'genuine economic migrants'. As far as I am concerned a 'genuine economic migrant' would equate to someone coming to the UK under a work visa (or perhaps another type of visa). They wouldn't be crossing the channel in a small boat so I don't understand why they get mentioned.
Bet you can’t find any concrete data on how many illegals are in the country or how they’re supporting themselves.
---

---

Irregular data doesn’t exist we don’t know how big or small the numbers are or where they are.

Attachments

Last edited:
Far right, anti migrant protestors setting fire to a police van in Liverpool. I suppose this is what the community dealing with it looks like

Criminal behaviour seems to be just as homegrown as it is imported by boat.

When the narrative against people (who for the most part genuinely need help) is almost completely negative, it stokes tensions and things like this happen.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Apparently sparked by this, maybe she’s a stooge, maybe not, either way those fires are being stoked and it’s only going to lead to tragedy the gov need to act .

• Sad
Apparently sparked by this, maybe she’s a stooge, maybe not, either way those fires are being stoked and it’s only going to lead to tragedy the gov need to act .
Sounds like they set someone up to bait a suspected asylum seeker. Even if it shows that some sort of education should be given on expectations of behaviour due to cultural differences or whatever (seems to be suggested by the video too), it’s not done with “good” intentions and leads to problems like the above

• Angry
Sounds like they set someone up to bait a suspected asylum seeker. Even if it shows that some sort of education should be given on expectations of behaviour due to cultural differences or whatever (seems to be suggested by the video too), it’s not done with “good” intentions and leads to problems like the above
That’s what I’ve been trying to explain for most of the thread but people aren’t seeing it 🙄
Protests have been going on for weeks in Ireland

---

---

---

I’m sure the police will investigate the allegations

Last edited:
Whether or not the man in the video is staying at the hotel or an asylum seeker at all, he should be dealt with individually - ideally by the authorities.

It's not fair on the other residents at the hotel for the actions of one man to put them all in danger.

Reactions: 3
That’s what I’ve been trying to explain with them placing unknowns in a community setting, these men should be kept at holding centres until they know where/ who they are, it should only be woman and children put up in hotels .This will only lead to innocent people being attacked, there’s lots of protest’s taking off across England from what I’ve seen.
---

Last edited:
Reactions: 5