English channel migrant crossing crisis #6

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
After all the fuss last year about Albanian asylum seekers and the government trumpeting its returns agreement only 5% of Albanians that arrived by 'small boat' since 2020 have been returned. The government also has a voluntary returns service through which people who don't have a right to remain in the UK can be helped to return to their home country. https://www.gov.uk/return-home-voluntarily . In the debate of the 'Safety of Rwanda' bill on Tuesday, Layla Moran highlighted a case of a constituent who had applied to the scheme in September 2022 and is still waiting for The Home Office to process his claim. Yvette Cooper highlighted that in many similar cases people had been told they would have to wait at least 6 months because The Home Office is struggling to manage the backlog.

Perhaps rather than waste £400+ million on the ridiculous Rwanda scheme, just a small proportion of that money could be better spent on returning people that already can and in some cases want to be returned.

Reactions: 1
I can only surmise that more European countries will vote to pull away from the outdated refugee convention, unsustainable pressure and security threats make it unworkable by today’s standards.

Reactions: 3
After all the fuss last year about Albanian asylum seekers and the government trumpeting its returns agreement only 5% of Albanians that arrived by 'small boat' since 2020 have been returned. The government also has a voluntary returns service through which people who don't have a right to remain in the UK can be helped to return to their home country. https://www.gov.uk/return-home-voluntarily . In the debate of the 'Safety of Rwanda' bill on Tuesday, Layla Moran highlighted a case of a constituent who had applied to the scheme in September 2022 and is still waiting for The Home Office to process his claim. Yvette Cooper highlighted that in many similar cases people had been told they would have to wait at least 6 months because The Home Office is struggling to manage the backlog.

Perhaps rather than waste £400+ million on the ridiculous Rwanda scheme, just a small proportion of that money could be better spent on returning people that already can and in some cases want to be returned.
This is what stumps me, not the fact it's happening but the fact the stupidity of this hasn't fed through to the electorate. But I suppose it's a sign of how the media have become mouthpieces for the government.

The cost of housing and supporting asylum seekers/refugees was one of the main points of this whole "crisis" yet it's somehow OK to through £400m at a non-functioning scheme when there are least 5 other ways the money could be better spent here.

Also, re Bibby Stockholm

Costing more than the hotels apparently! But everyone's OK because weddings aren't being cancelled, you don't have to pass them in the street and living standards are miserable enough that asylum seekers are taking their own lives.

People should be allowed to hold their traditional wedding how they please, I’m sure the 300,000 English homeless would be glad of a roof and free food this weather, how many citizens are in MH distress ? These people have paid to come to a country that’s already on its knees the reason there’s no sympathy is because they’re better placed than most citizens, sad but true! …I was just reading about a British woman in homeless accommodation that thinks her topping herself will be more beneficial to her kids, at least the authorities would find them more stable accommodation and not being moved from pillar to post every couple of weeks.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Another sad death in the channel last night. If people are prepared to risk their lives in rubber dinghies to get here why on earth does this government think that the faint possibility of being shipped off to Rwanda will deter them?
Labour are right, the Rwanda money should be spent on opening up more legal routes, smashing the trafficking gangs and dealing with the huge backlog of asylum speakers.
The Rwanda plan is pure smoke and mirrors and an attempt to turn the electorates attention towards migration and away from the mess this country is in due to their inept governance.

Reactions: 5
Another sad death in the channel last night. If people are prepared to risk their lives in rubber dinghies to get here why on earth does this government think that the faint possibility of being shipped off to Rwanda will deter them?
Labour are right, the Rwanda money should be spent on opening up more legal routes, smashing the trafficking gangs and dealing with the huge backlog of asylum speakers.
The Rwanda plan is pure smoke and mirrors and an attempt to turn the electorates attention towards migration and away from the mess this country is in due to their inept governance.
How will they be better at clearing it than the current gov? The same rules will still stand ,smoke n mirrors is correct!
---
Be worse than France before too long .

How will they be better at clearing it than the current gov? The same rules will still stand ,smoke n mirrors is correct!
They can adopt new policies to fast track some claims (including new ones so a new backlog isn’t created). I’m sure they probably have some influence over pay in the asylum sector?

Watching the civil service Reddit from time to time is interesting. A lot of them report people leaving quickly, some say the decisions feel very inconsistent and that the work would be more enjoyable if there was no focus on reaching targets constantly

They can adopt new policies to fast track some claims (including new ones so a new backlog isn’t created). I’m sure they probably have some influence over pay in the asylum sector?

Watching the civil service Reddit from time to time is interesting. A lot of them report people leaving quickly, some say the decisions feel very inconsistent and that the work would be more enjoyable if there was no focus on reaching targets constantly
Fast tracking is only part of the solution ,it’s repatriating those with no right to be here is the problem , it seems once they’re here it’s impossible to shift them.

Fast tracking is only part of the solution ,it’s repatriating those with no right to be here is the problem , it seems once they’re here it’s impossible to shift them.
It’s impossible because the government we have mainly focuses on deterrents and not actual enforcement of deportations

It’s seems hard to say how well enforcement would work - apparently the Dublin Regs did work until the Home Office stopped doing the admin on them. So Labour may actually have something with the whole idea of an EU deal - obviously we would have to give something back as part of that but that’s just the way it works

It’s impossible because the government we have mainly focuses on deterrents and not actual enforcement of deportations

It’s seems hard to say how well enforcement would work - apparently the Dublin Regs did work until the Home Office stopped doing the admin on them. So Labour may actually have something with the whole idea of an EU deal - obviously we would have to give something back as part of that but that’s just the way it works
Why would the EU want to deal ? UK have left the fold.
---
What about this for an enforced extradition 😂 we’ll need the Chinese police force with their no nonsense approach to remove these criminals.

Last edited:
Why would the EU want to deal ? UK have left the fold.
Well I imagine that having a safe route open for some people between UK and France or EU in general would be preferable to the news that there’s people dying to cross the channel

Probably works in their favour with the plans about countries taking their fair share or whatever too

I also remember having this exact conversation with you and I remember posting sources that said the EU was open to negotiating a replacement for Dublin Regs but that the UK dropped it

Well I imagine that having a safe route open for some people between UK and France or EU in general would be preferable to the news that there’s people dying to cross the channel

Probably works in their favour with the plans about countries taking their fair share or whatever too

I also remember having this exact conversation with you and I remember posting sources that said the EU was open to negotiating a replacement for Dublin Regs but that the UK dropped it
I thought Sunak wanted a deal but Macron refused to any returns agreement?…Yip!

I thought Sunak wanted a deal but Macron refused to any returns agreement?…Yip!

Macron said it would have to be with the EU. The EU also denied reports that it wouldn’t be open to the deal

Attachments

It’s literally in that article you shared that the EU is not open to any agreement as the UK have left post Brexit.
I like how you missed half of the article just because it doesn’t suit your POV 🤭

A) France said that the returns agreement would have to be between the UK and EU (which they happen to be a part of last time I checked), does not mean that they’d reject it - there’s probably some EU law reason for this too
B) the EU denied it wasn’t open to a returns agremeent with the UK
= agreement could possibly be negotiated if we really wanted to

I like how you missed half of the article just because it doesn’t suit your POV 🤭

A) France said that the returns agreement would have to be between the UK and EU (which they happen to be a part of last time I checked), does not mean that they’d reject it - there’s probably some EU law reason for this too
Yeah mostly France doesn't want to get a bilateral treaty with the UK. The UK has to do a treaty with the whole EU. The EU countries have always been clear that things will be this way after Brexit for those matters.

I did point out the UK had left the fold , sunak couldn’t get the other EU countries to agree a pact as per the article you shared, only Turkey agreed to try and hinder smugglers but didn’t agree to any returns treaty.
---

Last edited: