English Channel migrant crossing crisis #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You seem to be saying that 'economic migrants' are 'allowed' i.e. granted refugee status in the UK. That's not correct.

You could 'rock up' to the USA and claim asylum and then it would be up to you to prove that you qualify for protection. Just like the UK. In the USA if you are considered to be an 'economic migrant' and not eligible for protection your application for asylum will be refused. Just like the UK.
---

All the more reason to have a system that would allow people to apply for asylum from outside the UK. Then we wouldn't have to support them while they are waiting (and waiting) for their application is considered. Or allow them to work in the UK to support themselves while they are waiting (and waiting) for the application to be considered.
Economic migrants can apply for visas in certain sectors , why would we put people at risk by placing these undocumented migrants amongst vulnerable people ?there’s been quite a few shocking instances of the outcome of this in Ireland .UK people had to be vetted before Ukrainians were placed with them do we not deserve the same safeguards?

Reactions: 2
That sounds awfully like economic migration to me.
You’re missing the part where many of them are fleeing persecution or war

It generally seems far more usual for the immediate family to flee but for the women/children to remain in a third country (such as Jordan which has poor asylum support) while the man makes his way to a “better” country - be it because they blindly believe it’s better or because there are genuine connections to the country

There’s nothing in the Convention to stop them doing this and the argument is only used by others because the UK is the last stop. If the UK was the first stop for these people it would all be about fairly distributing and countries taking their fair share of asylum seekers

You’ll be happy to know that there’s a two tier system coming in which would mean that some refugees won’t be allowed to reunite with their families. Plus there’s already barriers to family reunification visas as legal aid doesn’t cover lawyers for this

• Sad

It generally seems far more usual for the immediate family to flee but for the women/children to remain in a third country (such as Jordan which has poor asylum support) while the man makes his way to a “better” country - be it because they blindly believe it’s better or because there are genuine connections to the country

There’s nothing in the Convention to stop them doing this and the argument is only used by others because the UK is the last stop. If the UK was the first stop for these people it would all be about fairly distributing and countries taking their fair share of asylum seekers

You’ll be happy to know that there’s a two tier system coming in which would mean that some refugees won’t be allowed to reunite with their families. Plus there’s already barriers to family reunification visas as legal aid doesn’t cover lawyers for this
Is this wrong?
IMG_5408.jpeg

We’ve had a short discussion of how Dublin Regulations work or don’t work. We’ve also discussed how it applies to the EU, meaning that now Britain is the next stop if someone has been rejected from an EU country
But the thousands waiting in French camps don’t seem to back up that argument, nor the thousands arriving through the common travel area.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m sorry I’m probably sounding tooo cynical. But for years and years we have given charity to African countries. We know it barely reaches the citizens but is taken but the governments. Africa is rich but not distributed to their people. China is out there building towns for these people just so they can take their minerals.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we are being paid loads to take these people. And we have an agreement in place. Hence why we don’t stop it.

Reactions: 5
I’m sorry I’m probably sounding tooo cynical. But for years and years we have given charity to African countries. We know it barely reaches the citizens but is taken but the governments. Africa is rich but not distributed to their people. China is out there building towns for these people just so they can take their minerals.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we are being paid loads to take these people. And we have an agreement in place. Hence why we don’t stop it.
If you look at the volume of people having to leave the UK and Ireland to earn a decent wage or get on the property ladder it’s not surprising they need to fill the void with cheap labour ,that only serves to suppress the wage’s of citizens even further whilst the government cash in.

You seem to be saying that 'economic migrants' are 'allowed' i.e. granted refugee status in the UK. That's not correct.

You could 'rock up' to the USA and claim asylum and then it would be up to you to prove that you qualify for protection. Just like the UK. In the USA if you are considered to be an 'economic migrant' and not eligible for protection your application for asylum will be refused. Just like the UK.
---

All the more reason to have a system that would allow people to apply for asylum from outside the UK. Then we wouldn't have to support them while they are waiting (and waiting) for their application is considered. Or allow them to work in the UK to support themselves while they are waiting (and waiting) for the application to be considered.
Look at who are making the journey it's young fit men, who are less at risk and more able to defend themselves. We also don't want scores of young undereducated men. Many educated skilled people wouldn't need to jump on a dingy , they would book a flight tourist visa and say I need aslyum. The dingy transport costs more than a flight so don't give that hogwash. Some destroy documents, I would absolutely back picking up at source of women, children and the elderly. These men want to send money back home many won't be fleeing persecution and war. There's no war in Albania.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

That sounds like economic migration as well....

Those saying economic migration, can you give me an idea of what you see as asylum seeking migration?
Threat to life through war. Then only if there’s no safe region in their own country Ukraine is huge yet these people flee across the world before seeking sanctuary in another region.
IMG_5365.jpeg

Reactions: 1
Those saying economic migration, can you give me an idea of what you see as asylum seeking migration?
Must remember, they aren't allowed to come here unless the jobs they want are high skilled but they also can't seek asylum and be freeloaders who don't work.

There are visas available for low skilled workers too, there’s no excuse.

Reactions: 1
Threat to life through war.
But many are fleeing from war:
(includes political instability which may not be as relevant but also international armed conflicts and civil conflicts which can be particularly nasty too. Ethiopia is labelled as political instability but we know that the majority of asylum claimants are successful from there too I was thinking of Eritrea here)

There will be many who left when the conflict was at a 'worse' state too, so what does one propose happens to them?

What about those fleeing from persecution? Different levels of persecution?
What about humanitarian protection where a person is deemed to not be persecuted but sending them back may endanger their life?

But many are fleeing from war:
(includes political instability which may not be as relevant but also international armed conflicts and civil conflicts which can be particularly nasty too. Ethiopia is labelled as political instability but we know that the majority of asylum claimants are successful from there too I was thinking of Eritrea here)

There will be many who left when the conflict was at a 'worse' state too, so what does one propose happens to them?

What about those fleeing from persecution? Different levels of persecution?
What about humanitarian protection where a person is deemed to not be persecuted but sending them back may endanger their life?
There’s people from Chile claiming asylum because they’re afraid of earthquakes…
So you think we should take everyone fleeing war when most of those countries have millions of citizens that fit the bill for asylum .Where would we put them?

There’s people from Chile claiming asylum because they’re afraid of earthquakes…
How do you think these people should be dealt with? Obviously their asylum application should still be at least partially considered (to get the reason for their asylum claim) and then what?

Do you not think that any system will have people claiming stuff that will be unsuccessful in general?
---
So you think we should take everyone fleeing war when most of those countries have millions of citizens that fit the bill for asylum .Where would we put them?
I think I've said before but I'd be perfectly satisfied with an asylum system which doesn't require people to reach the UK to claim asylum but likely requires them to reach a 'safe' country (likely to be the likes of Italy)... and it actually working

How do you think these people should be dealt with? Obviously their asylum application should still be at least partially considered (to get the reason for their asylum claim) and then what?

Do you not think that any system will have people claiming stuff that will be unsuccessful in general?
---

I think I've said before but I'd be perfectly satisfied with an asylum system which doesn't require people to reach the UK to claim asylum but likely requires them to reach a 'safe' country (likely to be the likes of Italy)... and it actually working
Italy has declared a state of emergency over irregular migration why should any country take in people that they can’t/ won’t support to the detriment of their own citizens.

Reactions: 6
There was a great BBC documentary in 2012 called 'The trouble with aid' which addresses the Africa situation.

Look at who are making the journey it's young fit men, who are less at risk and more able to defend themselves. We also don't want scores of young undereducated men. Many educated skilled people wouldn't need to jump on a dingy , they would book a flight tourist visa and say I need aslyum. The dingy transport costs more than a flight so don't give that hogwash. Some destroy documents, I would absolutely back picking up at source of women, children and the elderly. These men want to send money back home many won't be fleeing persecution and war. There's no war in Albania.
You said that 'economic migrants' should not be 'allowed' in the UK and compared the situation to the USA. People, including 'fit young men', can apply for asylum in both countries. If they are not eligible for protection, for example because they are deemed to be 'economic migrants' and not in need of protection, they won't be given asylum.

I've no idea what your reply has to do with that issue or why you are having a go at me about 'hogwash' when I didn't mention the cost of dingy transport compared with air fares or anything like it.
---
Granting asylum to people fleeing persecution and war is for their benefit not ours. If we're only admitting people to the UK because they are useful to us that is not giving asylum - that is 'economic migration'.

Last edited:
What country wants to import hundreds of thousands of uneducated people that even if they were granted asylum couldn’t earn enough to pay their way 🤔

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.