Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone know if TH was abusive to Arthur before meeting ET? It seems to come across like she’s the one who treated him the worst and just didn’t like him because he wasn’t her own

Reactions: 2
I think he was SmudgeTheCat.
There was something about a hole being punched in the wall of the annex and also where Arthur said to his father 'I'm in danger with you, Dad" amongst other things.
So I believe that there was abuse already there, but probably mostly verbal abuse directed at Arthur at that point, only kept in check by the fact his family were in close proximity to Arthur. And likely his family were helping him rear Arthur, his mum especially.

Reactions: 6
Does anyone know if TH was abusive to Arthur before meeting ET? It seems to come across like she’s the one who treated him the worst and just didn’t like him because he wasn’t her own
I just can't believe he has turned against his son, out of the blue, due to meeting ET. There must have been some resentment beforehand 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I thought so too. Despite being in prison herself, she should have full rights to where Arthur should lay to rest. Did the family courts ever have her PR taken from her? As this could very well be the reason why they haven't released his body for his send off.
I think she would of have parental responsibility taken away when she was sent to prison.

Ah thank you, very informative and helpful reply! Really appreciate it. Its just when I found this story and saw it would be on same website as Arthur's I figured I'd start reading into it in the hope I'd see justice done.
It looks like this trial will go the way you suggested, with only intermittent updates and not proper, in court, live updates. There's no image of the perpetrators. It's unusual I thought.

I looked at the court listings on Monday and said their names in the afternoon. So interesting it's back off the Court listings.
The police don't release mugshots until defendants are convicted. Very rarely, the judge and/or police will decide that no images are to be released publicly - I can only think of two such cases that I'm aware of. The media sometimes publish photographs from Facebook before and after charging suspect but, most of the time, they don't. To be honest, I don't really know the rules on what they are allowed to publish and when.

I can't see them on the court listings for tomorrow but I wouldn't read too much into that at the moment - it could be the judge/prosecution/defence have got something else on (scheduling clash) it could be that someone involved in the trial is ill and they are waiting to see if they will return, it could be something Covid related, lots of reasons. This is why the lack of updates is SO frustrating 😤

I got a day off towards the end of my jury duty - that was for legal arguments to take place without us being present. The trial ended the next day when the judge ruled there was no case to answer.

Reactions: 2
I thought so too. Despite being in prison herself, she should have full rights to where Arthur should lay to rest. Did the family courts ever have her PR taken from her? As this could very well be the reason why they haven't released his body for his send off.
She would still have her PR, this is only removed when a child is adopted. Even if a parent is sent to prison they still have PR, obviously it is restricted by default but it is likely to only be restricted by the family courts if the crime was directly against the child.

If only the social worker or police requested Arthur had a medical assessment, I really believe he would have been saved and placed with a family member or foster carer 😢 all of the other injuries would have been observed and there is no way he would have been sent back to live with those monsters 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 15
If only the social worker or police requested Arthur had a medical assessment, I really believe he would have been saved and placed with a family member or foster carer 😢 all of the other injuries would have been observed and there is no way he would have been sent back to live with those monsters 😭
I think you are spot on.

T and E are messed up people and were out of control.

But the grandparents alerted social workers and they did not take them seriously.
If a social worker had sat down to meet with the grandparents and to assess the child and speak (and listen) to the child, then there is a high chance Arthur would have gone to his grandparents.

I don't see much sense in wishing harm to E and T, but to strongly request that both police and social services pay more attention and are more diligent might make a real difference.
If lots of people write to their local MPs or start a petition for a review of the current system, then there might be some changes that could save children and vulnerable people (the elderly, women, disabled people) from being abused.

Reactions: 10
She would still have her PR, this is only removed when a child is adopted. Even if a parent is sent to prison they still have PR, obviously it is restricted by default but it is likely to only be restricted by the family courts if the crime was directly against the child.

You mean if they would have done their job correctly. But instead of taking into account the photos that had been taken of his bruises, they chose to believe because they had a clean house all was fine. They must know the golden rule only people with messy houses can be child abusers 😤

You mean if they would have done their job correctly. But instead of taking into account the photos that had been taken of his bruises, they chose to believe because they had a clean house all was fine. They must know the golden rule only people with messy houses can be child abusers 😤
Yes that is what I mean, I don’t know how any professional working in safeguarding could look at the photos of those bruises and not be highly concerned and request a child protection medical. I agree, a clean house means nothing and this was not about home conditions.

Reactions: 3
Oh but SW are so underfunded and underpaid and overworked and and and…

I for one am sick of the excuses. If the SW who didn’t see the bruises on Arthur had been paid more would it have magically improved her eyesight?

Reactions: 15

I for one am sick of the excuses. If the SW who didn’t see the bruises on Arthur had been paid more would it have magically improved her eyesight?
No amount of money would effect a decent human being seeing what is clear in sight. I’d do it for free if it meant a child being safe

Reactions: 6
Poor Arthur it’s knocked me sick what happened to him, I can’t get it out of my mind. I’ve cried a river when I saw that video with his duvet and his words...hell is too good for those monsters...hope inmates get to them...wish some Ken could’ve saved him.

• Sad
Reactions: 9

I don’t know if this social worker was agency or permanently employed but agency social workers are not underpaid, it’s an absolute joke, up to £50 an hour in some places because they are so desperate. £50 an hour for workers that are incompetent and some actually don’t care. The whole system does need an overhaul!

Poor Arthur it’s knocked me sick what happened to him, I can’t get it out of my mind. I’ve cried a river when I saw that video with his duvet and his words...hell is too good for those monsters...hope inmates get to them...wish some Ken could’ve saved him.
Can’t get that out of my mind, he’s poor little body too weak to even lift a pillow 😔 how can anyone do anything but want to love and protect a little child

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I know if i was working in SW and children were relying on me that I would rather be over the top with my follow up and investigations because you have a duty of care to help those that cannot speak or protect themselves 😔 I’d rather get a bollocking from my superiors/top line for going overboard to protect them than just not investigating at all 🤬

Reactions: 9
They just seem so easy to fool. Turn up - parent says not today thank you - SW goes “Oh ok” and goes away.
I know a woman - A - who tried to adopt a child as a single person and had them so fooled that she actually ended up with a child placed with her. The only thing left to do was the formality of making it official. This woman is hideous - selfish, narcissistic, and a pathological liar. She told them everything they wanted to hear.
Luckily (which will sound odd but bear with me) the child had problems stemming from her earlier life so her behaviour was challenging. A had no intention of making any effort with the child and lasted a week before handing her back. Lucky for the child. Of course then the story she told everyone was “SS took the child away for no reason”.
The point is she fooled them. Easily.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
I don’t know if this social worker was agency or permanently employed but agency social workers are not underpaid, it’s an absolute joke, up to £50 an hour in some places because they are so desperate. £50 an hour for workers that are incompetent and some actually don’t care. The whole system does need an overhaul!
A close relative said the same thing. Social workers aren't always in it because they care about those who need the services, plenty go into it for the money and job security, it's the ones who are good at their jobs that end up compensating for their colleagues' incompetence and then leaving from burnout. Unfortunately because these services are underfunded it elevates them to this weird status where they're beyond scrutiny and reproach because they're so selfless and giving by turning up to work

Can’t get that out of my mind, he’s poor little body too weak to even lift a pillow 😔 how can anyone do anything but want to love and protect a little child
I can't even bear to watch any of it. I'm usually quite stoic but every time I read or think about this case I'm in tears, I know I wouldn't cope with watching any of the footage.

Reactions: 7