Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have done quite well today as I haven’t cried. 🙈. But am still thinking of Arthur constantly and feel such overwhelming sadness that I just can’t shake off.
I have started to get so angry at how this was allowed to happen when there were so many signs.
Sadly, someone I know of lost their severely disabled daughter at the weekend. I was obviously upset when I heard, but I have to admit that my overriding thought was ‘at least she died knowing she was loved’ 😔

As a nurse (not in paediatrics), I do have basic safeguarding training but it’s mostly how you spot signs and who to report to. So I am pretty naive when it comes to school safeguarding, police and social services. Am I right in thinking the agencies don’t all communicate with each other?
How can children possibly be protected if they don’t?

I’d like to know why the video of that poor baby has been released for everyone to see, I think they should keep things like that private, it’s so distressing. I don’t know about anyone else but it’s living in my mind all the time. I actually feel so much guilt about not being able to save him and I didn’t even know him. It’s literally making me feel ill 😔
You really are not alone. I’m late 50’s and can honestly say I have NEVER been as disturbed as I am by this tragedy.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have done quite well today as I haven’t cried. 🙈. But am still thinking of Arthur constantly and feel such overwhelming sadness that I just can’t shake off.
I have started to get so angry at how this was allowed to happen when there were so many signs.
Sadly, someone I know of lost their severely disabled daughter at the weekend. I was obviously upset when I heard, but I have to admit that my overriding thought was ‘at least she died knowing she was loved’ 😔

As a nurse (not in paediatrics), I do have basic safeguarding training but it’s mostly how you spot signs and who to report to. So I am pretty naive when it comes to school safeguarding, police and social services. Am I right in thinking the agencies don’t all communicate with each other?

You really are not alone. I’m late 50’s and can honestly say I have NEVER been as disturbed as I am by this tragedy.
Totally agree. I didn't even watch the awful video but even the still from it has completely traumatised me. Poor little soul it makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach and I just can't shake it. I don't think anything has ever had this affect on me before. His beautiful little face is all I see and I cant stop the tears. I just can't stop thinking about how he must have felt. Breaks my heart.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
SS have no argument they can’t say lack of resources or blame Covid cause they went out within 24 hours of reviving the call and visit the house in person they just didn’t do their job properly.
A immaculate house is a red flag when you have kids. The fact that TH wanted to meet in a car park was a red flag this is all basic safeguarding training yet these were supposedly experienced professionals.

I don’t want to hear any more lessons learnt as the lessons are NEVER learnt
Having an immaculate house is absolutely not a red flag in safeguarding.

Reactions: 12
Totally agree. I didn't even watch the awful video but even the still from it has completely traumatised me. Poor little soul it makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach and I just can't shake it. I don't think anything has ever had this affect on me before. His beautiful little face is all I see and I cant stop the tears. I just can't stop thinking about how he must have felt. Breaks my heart.
So true, nothing has affected me as bad as this. I know this happens so much, and there’s been so many heartbreaking stories that have definitely traumatised me but this…it’s something else. It’s shook me to the very core, perhaps it’s because we have had insight into what he suffered? I don’t know but it’s broken my heart

Reactions: 4
I think so smudgethecat. It's torture of the mind, to see how the little pet suffered. We have to think that he had happy days before all that tit. That is my only small comfort and I'm hanging to that to try and get me through.

Reactions: 1

All agencies are meant to be in contact. It was put in legislation after what happened to Victoria Climbie(sp). The children’s act 2004. ‘Every child matters’

Reactions: 2
View attachment 911621
what are peoples thoughts on this?
They are not to blame no. They are right there, it’s those pieces of filth that murdered him. Not going to say parents because they don’t deserve that right. But, there has been a lack of judgement on their end. Definitely a communication loss, I don’t understand why ss weren’t speaking with his school etc as that is usually what happens? But yes there wasn’t enough done in my opinion, Arthur should have had a regular social worker especially after his mother went to prison and undoubtedly when ss was called twice. Someone failed there but no they’re not to blame

Reactions: 9
View attachment 911621
what are peoples thoughts on this?
I’m my own personal opinion it’s very much a “look the other way” approach now that something has went badly wrong. That kind of response doesn’t sit well with me. It’s basically saying it’s pot luck if they think your case is serious enough depending on what other cases they receive that particular day. You can’t iron out complex social work cases in a day. They should be regularly reviewed, revisited and challenged, especially given the other information which was presented to the police and concerned family members too. This wasn’t all presented to social workers on one day and closed, it was over a period of time. This doesn’t sit well with me but again it’s just my opinion

Reactions: 8
So true, nothing has affected me as bad as this. I know this happens so much, and there’s been so many heartbreaking stories that have definitely traumatised me but this…it’s something else. It’s shook me to the very core, perhaps it’s because we have had insight into what he suffered? I don’t know but it’s broken my heart
I think it’s because we have never seen so much evidence or real time distress on camera of a child abuse case. It is not normal for a family to be abusing a child on cctv.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I’m my own personal opinion it’s very much a “look the other way” approach now that something has went badly wrong. That kind of response doesn’t sit well with me. It’s basically saying it’s pot luck if they think your case is serious enough depending on what other cases they receive that particular day. You can’t iron out complex social work cases in a day. They should be regularly reviewed, revisited and challenged, especially given the other information which was presented to the police and concerned family members too. This wasn’t all presented to social workers on one day and closed, it was over a period of time. This doesn’t sit well with me but again it’s just my opinion
I agree, they should definitely be reviewed. I think cutting all vists at once is not enough. There should be consistent involvement atleast for a few months or more

I think it’s because we have never seen so much evidence or real time distress on camera of a child abuse case. It is not normal for a family to be abusing a child on cctv.
Yes the footage has definitely impacted so many

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I don’t think I have ever been so disturbed by anything as I have this case. I can’t stop thinking about that dear little boys suffering. I cried when I watched the news, I cried cooking tea on Friday. I have done some Xmas shopping this morning and I don’t feel any joy, I just keep wondering how sad Arthur’s Xmas’s must have been.
I can’t unsee the footage on the news, nor can I unhear the evidence I have heard and it’s eating away at me.
I wonder if it’s because my grandson is just a couple of years younger and looks a bit like Arthur? Said Grandson has known nothing but love and the thought of anyone hurting him is horrific. Much as my partner is disgusted by this case too, I think he’s getting a bit fed up if seeing me mope about with red eyes!
Please can someone tell me I am not alone!!
I understand how you feel! Also cannot stop hurting over this. I have a little girl the same age as Arthur and it’s absolutely heart breaking, for an innocent baby to be hurt like this by the person who should love and protect him..it’s unbearable. I wish he could have been saved and reunited with his mum. I believe the evil woman who murdered Arthur must be a psychopath.

I am in this remit of work and fully agree with this.
I agree, they should definitely be reviewed. I think cutting all vists at once is not enough. There should be consistent involvement atleast for a few months or more
usually early intervention is implemented to support the social workers, so an early help worker/family worker would go out and visit the family weekly and social worker once every 2 weeks (obviously would depend on severity of case) child protection cases are reviewed through conferences with an IRO present and multiagency team atleast every 6 months, so cases that are on plans etc aren’t just closed all of a sudden.

In poor little Arthur’s case, this should have absolutely had child protection enquiries carried out, especially given the photographs of the bruises and the number of referrals and concerns received.

Reactions: 7
I don't think I've commented on these threads but I have on Star's and I can 100% confirm you are not alone. Hearing Arthur shout and cry that no one loved him and no one was going to feed him will never, ever leave me. Nor will seeing him limping and too weak to fold his blanket on the morning of his death. I just want to pick him up out of the screen, give him a big cuddle and bring him home with me to a warm comfy bed and as much yummy food as he wanted and never let anyone raise a hand to him again. I can only imagine his friends' families feeling the same too. I have sobbed at the most random time over him. My 2 children are 4 and 6. Both little blondies and like you with your grandson, they remind me of Arthur. As Emmadale said, my youngest's birthday is days before Arthur died so I remember the time well, preparing gifts and a cake, all while Arthur suffered. While having dinner last night my 6-year-old was thanking me for a lovely meal 🥰 and my partner said flippantly how lucky they are to have a mum like me and my thoughts went instantly back to Arthur being starved and off I went in tears again. My kids are getting away with all sorts because I can't bear to tell them off or have them upset. We were looking back on our lockdown memories the other day - we were "lucky" in that none of our families suffered any serious illness/financial loss etc through the pandemic and we "enjoyed" lockdown with lots of family time in the garden etc and to be honest, those happy memories are now tainted by the thought of Arthur and any other children who suffered while being kept at home. I don't know how to get over this, I don't think I will get over it, and at the same time, I feel silly that I am so upset when I didn't know him - I feel like I don't have the right to be upset? I see people comparing Arthur to Baby P and James Bulger, both of those poor boys were killed when I was still a child so it almost wasn't on my radar, if that makes sense? I feel like this is the first time I have really followed such a harrowing case as an adult and it is REALLY affecting me. I think my partner thinks I need to pull myself together as well but I just can't.
This made me so emotional to read because it’s just what we are all feeling

Reactions: 1
I’d like to know why the video of that poor baby has been released for everyone to see, I think they should keep things like that private, it’s so distressing. I don’t know about anyone else but it’s living in my mind all the time. I actually feel so much guilt about not being able to save him and I didn’t even know him. It’s literally making me feel ill 😔
the public need to know these things happen so that if they are ever in the hairdresser’s shoes, they will KNOW without a doubt they NEED to get involved.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I understand how you feel! Also cannot stop hurting over this. I have a little girl the same age as Arthur and it’s absolutely heart breaking, for an innocent baby to be hurt like this by the person who should love and protect him..it’s unbearable. I wish he could have been saved and reunited with his mum. I believe the evil woman who murdered Arthur must be a psychopath.
I hate hate hate armchair diagnosis’ esp those of narcissism etc (it’s so widely flung around by people with 0 clinical experience / phds to just describe people that do not have NPD but are just a bleeping hole). But with my experience working in the field she displays heavy signs of the umbrella term antisocial personality disorder. This could be her ticket out of jail on to a section and straight into Rampton.

Reactions: 3
What I’d like to know is how many reports are made to SS by family members that actually are malicious/wrong? In Star’s case SS definitely told FS it was malicious. I can’t remember with Arthur, if it was just case closed after that brief visit. But in both these cases the family reports/concerns just weren’t taken seriously.

But my gut feeling based on no knowledge whatsoever is surely it wouldn’t be very common for family to do this without good reason? So why aren’t those reports from family taken more seriously. Why aren’t medical examinations mandatory, at least in certain circumstances like photo evidence from a family member of a severe, non-typical bruise for a child. Maybe this is on Google somewhere but I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole at this time of night. But I’ve been pondering it.

Social services and HV in the Solihull area are shocking, and I only know this as my MIL was a HV until she was made redundant. They are so low on staff it’s appalling.

ive seen on tiktok that she’s in A&E as inmates force fed her salt?

What I’d like to know is how many reports are made to SS by family members that actually are malicious/wrong? In Star’s case SS definitely told FS it was malicious. I can’t remember with Arthur, if it was just case closed after that brief visit. But in both these cases the family reports/concerns just weren’t taken seriously.

But my gut feeling based on no knowledge whatsoever is surely it wouldn’t be very common for family to do this without good reason? So why aren’t those reports from family taken more seriously. Why aren’t medical examinations mandatory, at least in certain circumstances like photo evidence from a family member of a severe, non-typical bruise for a child. Maybe this is on Google somewhere but I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole at this time of night. But I’ve been pondering it.
A lot of malicious people report innocent parents with well looked after children for all sorts of ‘concerns’ actually. My own ‘mother’ was trying to report me to the social bragging about make believe grandparents rights when I was PREGNANT, even tho I was put into care due to long term child SA arranged by her and other men. I’m really glad family members just can’t turn up at your house and kidnap your child. Children all over the country would be at risk being pinched outside in the back garden by malicious family members who are stopped from seeing the children for good reason. But in cases like Arthur’s a family member kidnapping him would have actually saved his life. It’s a double edged sword, what saves one child would endanger another. 😞

the public need to know these things happen so that if they are ever in the hairdresser’s shoes, they will KNOW without a doubt they NEED to get involved.
I’d like to know what sort of ‘friend’ ET was you know. They might not of said anything if they feared her or were intimidated by her. Witnesses need to know they are safe to report such people. Another theory I have is that it was lockdown and hairdressers were not allowed to work, the hairdresser was saving her skin from a covid fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16