Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh absolutely it's not their fault - I think what I was asking in a roundabout way is - why would the police tell him that? (Or would that be the case if it was a mistaken allegation?) It seems extreme if so.
To have conversations as a family about breaking down a door to someones house is significant and I suppose not done lightly.
It sounds like bullshit to me. If ET and TH made a complaint of harassment against the Hughes family then surely the police would just say "If you persist in contacting them, you may be charged with harassment" not go on to declare that his kids could be taken off him. Harassment isn't even that big a criminal charge in the grand scheme of things. You wouldn't lose custody of your child for that. Sounds fishy.

Reactions: 12
His background would have had him classed as a highly vulnerable child. They said he had separation anxiety, was worried his dad would kill him, use a baby voice, school would have known about his mum, he was known by SS from the age of 3. Any children not coming online we’re escalated to our senior management team or year group leaders to chase them up. I think all schools have now learnt how to handle lockdowns better, many didn’t get it right the first time but it’s a huge huge shame. He was a vulnerable child before this.
And his worries came devastatingly true :(:cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I hope she doesn’t get moved to a secure unit. The reception she’s receiving in prison now is even too good for her. She hasn’t shown one tiny scrap of remorse for what she’s done. I think she genuinely believes Arthur deserved that. It must have been so confusing for her children witnessing the abuse inflicted on Arthur. Even they knew right from wrong in offering him a cuddle.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
In the video clip of the police body cam does anybody know who was screaming in the background. Sounds like an adult woman.

Reactions: 4
I've got two boys similar age and I'm finding myself feeling guilty for everything I do. Like Arthur would have loved this. Or even giving them a treat, I feel guilty. I keep replaying the video over in my head, worrying about how unloved he felt. It's just shocking.
I know what you mean, I feel the same. It is just sickening and incomprehensible. I'm glad for this forum. Professionals would get a debrief after horror cases. This is it for me. To validate that people feel it is so wrong, and there are kind hearts. I'm so scared for stories we don't hear.

Reactions: 6
I'm not in any way victim blaming or family shaming, so I hope this isn't taken this way - Daniel Hughes claimed they had spoken as a family of breaking down the door and taking Arthur (after the severe bruise picture was ignored - so I'm assuming it would have still been visible at this time). He says the police advised him he would be arrested for kidnap and his child removed from him? Is there truth to this? Anyone in the force could confirm?

I genuinely think if I was in that position, and I was *certain* he was being abused, I'd like to think I'd take my chances? Surely if you save a child from certain abuse, any charges against you would be dropped? Or am I looking at this in a very simplistic way?
I'm so glad you have said that I keep thinking the same thing. I know I would not be able to sleep thinking my nephew was being abused I would take him or scream the street down.

Reactions: 9
I'm not in any way victim blaming or family shaming, so I hope this isn't taken this way - Daniel Hughes claimed they had spoken as a family of breaking down the door and taking Arthur (after the severe bruise picture was ignored - so I'm assuming it would have still been visible at this time). He says the police advised him he would be arrested for kidnap and his child removed from him? Is there truth to this? Anyone in the force could confirm?

I genuinely think if I was in that position, and I was *certain* he was being abused, I'd like to think I'd take my chances? Surely if you save a child from certain abuse, any charges against you would be dropped? Or am I looking at this in a very simplistic way?
I thought the same thing. How would they take his child away over this but they could leave poor Arthur to suffer?! I said to my mum the other day if you thought my ex and his new partner were doing that to my son you'd never let him go with them?! You'd die yourself first trying to protect him?

Reactions: 7
We can all say what we think we would do. But although they had suspicions that things were not right they did not know what was actually going on and NOBODY knew the extent of the abuse. Some people are very intimidated by the police and social services. If they would have took him yes it would have been kidnap! You could be outside their house kicking and screaming, but it would be you getting taken away not the child. If your name isn’t on the birth certificate you do not have parental responsibility (rights). They did the best they could with what the had. The ones to blame are the people that murdered him.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
His background would have had him classed as a highly vulnerable child. They said he had separation anxiety, was worried his dad would kill him, use a baby voice, school would have known about his mum, he was known by SS from the age of 3. Any children not coming online we’re escalated to our senior management team or year group leaders to chase them up. I think all schools have now learnt how to handle lockdowns better, many didn’t get it right the first time but it’s a huge huge shame. He was a vulnerable child before this.
My school had no online work during the first lockdown, they didn’t mark any thing and we received 2 phone calls the entire time. No one had any idea what was going on in my home. I know I wasn’t alone in this either unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
In the video clip of the police body cam does anybody know who was screaming in the background. Sounds like an adult woman.
I thought I read some where when it first happened that a neighbor who was a nurse came round.

I thought it sound like some one who had seen and ambulance parked up and thought it was at there house you can hear someone saying you should have seen your face.

I go back and forth over the the Hughes.
I think at the time of the bruises the abuse was not at the level it was towards the end. Any one who had received safeguarding training would know to report it which she did to the right authorities they went out quickly and she also followed it up when she wasn’t happy with the outcome. It was towards the start of lockdown when people really didn’t see one another abs schools hadn’t got there act together but ultimately social services are to blame they never learn the lessons from the last SCR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Hi all, unrelated but is anyone been trying to follow this trial and know why it's barely been updated? Ongoing trial of the murder of Kemarni watson, in 2018. It was supposed to be day 1 of the trial last week. Then by day 2 only one entry and again today just one isolated entry. I thought it would update as Arthur's trial did, and stars. Anyone also following or know a reason this could be?

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: 3
My school had no online work during the first lockdown, they didn’t mark any thing and we received 2 phone calls the entire time. No one had any idea what was going on in my home. I know I wasn’t alone in this either unfortunately.
My 6 year old who is non-verbal autistic wasn't given a school place in the lockdown, he sleeps 5-6 hours a night and can be pretty challenging 😬. We had a couple of phone calls, and were expected to do zoom calls (he has a 20 second attention span so that was pointless).

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I read that Arthur was a witness to his mother stabbing the man she killed in the arm in an earlier attack. I googled her last week and read up about the case so I think I must have read it in an article about that

Reactions: 2
We can all say what we think we would do. But although they had suspicions that things were not right they did not know what was actually going on and NOBODY knew the extent of the abuse. Some people are very intimidated by the police and social services. If they would have took him yes it would have been kidnap! You could be outside their house kicking and screaming, but it would be you getting taken away not the child. If your name isn’t on the birth certificate you do not have parental responsibility (rights). They did the best they could with what the had. The ones to blame are the people that murdered him.
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think the fact that people knew there was abuse to the extent it was reported and ET's mother asked Arthur not to visit as it upset her too much to see him . sorry this wasn't 100% behind closed doors. That hairdresser and her boyfriend saw him at death's door and said nothing. And yes I'd gladly be taken away if only to draw attention to what is going on.
And saying that is not blaming we all know who the murderers are but I think it needs to be acknowledged.

Reactions: 11
Imagine being worried that your dad would kill you 😭 tears in my eyes. That poor little boy 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Spot on. Hindsight and hypothetical analysis is always easy to speculate but ultimately there are two people solely responsible for this and shaming others detracts from what those pair of scumbags did

Reactions: 7
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think the fact that people knew there was abuse to the extent it was reported and ET's mother asked Arthur not to visit as it upset her too much to see him . sorry this wasn't 100% behind closed doors. That hairdresser and her boyfriend saw him at death's door and said nothing. And yes I'd gladly be taken away if only to draw attention to what is going on.
And saying that is not blaming we all know who the murderers are but I think it needs to be acknowledged.
I was commenting in regards to his uncle. The hairdresser is another story. Shocking.

Reactions: 2
Agree with what youve said, I find it unbelievable they only asked him to pull up his top, saw what they thought was a small bruise (how!!?? - it's obvious it was only the bottom of that large bruise photographed) and were content with that. To call concerned family members Malicious, also unbelievable.

Just one thing though, I don't believe Arthur was there to witness Gary's death. I've read lots on the case and can't see a child being present, I believe he was elsewhere at the time. If anyone can show me evidence he was there, fine, but I've certainly not seen that mentioned and it def would be.
He wasn’t present when she killed GC but he was present when she stabbed him in the arm in a previous attack, that’s when social services initially got involved with Arthur at around 3 years old.

Reactions: 5
Sorry if this has been asked before…

but does anyone know how likely it is that T and H will get a battering in jail?

because on the one hand you read things like “screws turn a blind eye; prison will be hell for them” and on the other hand “even Myra H and Rose W made friends in prison, there were no reports of them coming to harm and their crimes were arguably as bad”

Me I really hope they suffer horribly every day for the rest of their lives.

Reactions: 8
I’ve been following this case with such a heavy heart like all of you. If there’s any consolation, I do believe the current parole terms would not allow Tustin to be released ever. She’ll be constantly pushed back, and most likely will die in jail ( hopefully not by her own hand).

I’m all for rehabilitate and diversion for prosecution in a a lot of cases, but for this I believe something like “White Bear” from Black Mirror would be the only appropriate punishment for Tustin and Hughes.

• Heart
Reactions: 11