Emma Johnson (Emma's Rectangle)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I often feel sorry for Tim, he seems like such a lovely, genuine guy compared to other youtuber boyfriend's but Emma often looks/sounds so bored when he's talking.

Reactions: 6
I often feel sorry for Tim, he seems like such a lovely, genuine guy compared to other youtuber boyfriend's but Emma often looks/sounds so bored when he's talking.
They do seem an odd match. Everything they do socially seems to be with a bunch of other couples, maybe she doesn't wanna be the single friend. Speculating massively of course, maybe they're actually really happy.

Reactions: 8
They do seem an odd match. Everything they do socially seems to be with a bunch of other couples, maybe she doesn't wanna be the single friend. Speculating massively of course, maybe they're actually really happy.
You're right, we do only see a tiny part of their day/life but from that little part I just don't see much of a romantic connection, more of a close girl,-guy friendship but that might just be their dynamic I guess.

Reactions: 4
I find it incredibly odd that she even does the baby voice in a Zoom with her mates, not just in front of Tim.

Reactions: 5
I stopped watching and started watching jordanshrinks Instead emma is so triggering I cant handle how obsessed she is even her weekly vlogs I used to love now there just montages of her making food eating or working out

Is there as reason why she kept saying SAD rather than sad? Like seemed like she had to say SAD for a particular reason

Reactions: 1
Is there as reason why she kept saying SAD rather than sad? Like seemed like she had to say SAD for a particular reason
No idea what she said but the acronym is seasonal affective disorder? Was she referring to that?

No idea what she said but the acronym is seasonal affective disorder? Was she referring to that?
She kept just saying the letters, I don’t know if that’s a common thing everyone I know that has it calls it sad

She was referring to seasonal affective disorder. Whenever I’ve referred to it aloud I’ve said ‘S-A-D’

Reactions: 1
Either she reads her tattle, or she’s just suddenly realised engaging with commenters/subscribers (who pay your bills) can actually result in more engagement. Who knew!

bleeping hell.
Nevernind. Unsubscribing ✌🏾
I was thinking about this and I do believe that these comments asking for food/fitness content are incredibly skewed. These commenters are mostly going to be from people who are following her content because of her biggest "hit" video, i.e. the weight loss video. They are searching the internet for likeminded influencers who share quick fixes or propel them further along in their own diet culture mindset, and then requesting more of the same content to fuel them.

Just because people request content doesn't mean you should make said content. If 50% or more of your videos could legitimately carry a trigger warning, then maybe its about looking inwards and thinking more about what you are morally comfortable with making.

I was thinking about this and I do believe that these comments asking for food/fitness content are incredibly skewed. These commenters are mostly going to be from people who are following her content because of her biggest "hit" video, i.e. the weight loss video. They are searching the internet for likeminded influencers who share quick fixes or propel them further along in their own diet culture mindset, and then requesting more of the same content to fuel them.

Just because people request content doesn't mean you should make said content. If 50% or more of your videos could legitimately carry a trigger warning, then maybe its about looking inwards and thinking more about what you are morally comfortable with making.
Brilliant comment. This exactly how I feel about it. I know a lot of fitness influencers do do ‘What I Eat In A Day’ videos, and I don’t watch any as I don’t like the concept, but Emma seems to exclusively do them now. I really don’t believe that eating habits are something tht should be shared in this way. The potential for causing more harm than good is too great

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Completely agree.
personally, I fail to see what good can come from a ‘what I eat in a day’ video. Those who have a healthy relationship with food won’t give a toss about those videos. Those who want to see them are either dieting themselves, or have a disordered relationship with food.
I actually had treatment for anorexia nervosa for years as a teenager (not looking for any sympathy here!!) and these kind of videos were not really a thing back then (thank god). I dread to think of the damage they could be causing now to those who are battling with similar issues.
When will these influencers realise that these videos are doing more harm than good? Yes, some people might just watch out of ‘interest’ and get on with their day. However, I believe that that percentage of people is probably very small.
I guess it comes down to getting the *views* which is sad. Emma claims to have struggled with eating in the past, so I hoped she’d show a little more insight into the content she’s putting out there.

• Heart
Completely agree.
personally, I fail to see what good can come from a ‘what I eat in a day’ video. Those who have a healthy relationship with food won’t give a toss about those videos. Those who want to see them are either dieting themselves, or have a disordered relationship with food.
I actually had treatment for anorexia nervosa for years as a teenager (not looking for any sympathy here!!) and these kind of videos were not really a thing back then (thank god). I dread to think of the damage they could be causing now to those who are battling with similar issues.
When will these influencers realise that these videos are doing more harm than good? Yes, some people might just watch out of ‘interest’ and get on with their day. However, I believe that that percentage of people is probably very small.
I guess it comes down to getting the *views* which is sad. Emma claims to have struggled with eating in the past, so I hoped she’d show a little more insight into the content she’s putting out there.
Totally agree. I’m sorry to hear of your past issues. As a teen I always felt like I had to diet and count calories and generally just didn’t have a good relationship with food. I too am so glad these videos didn’t exist back then. I just cannot understand why someone would think this kind of content is okay. I think as a teen and even as a young adult, you think you’re very savvy but you’re actually very impressionable, I know I was when I look back, so my main concerns are the effects these videos will have on young impressionable people who might already be struggling with food/weight.

TW: mention of disordered eating patterns and obsessiveness

I came across Emma maybe 2-3 years back and felt so relieved to see someone who seemed authentic - and comfortable in their own skin - who didn't fit the expectations of social media beauty gurus (and was still gorgeous). Her style seemed quirky and her self confidence appeared as quite genuine (I do acknowledge that SEEMING confident and comfortable isn't the same thing as being those things, but her visible confidence definitely boosted mine). I was a very overweight teen and have been struggling since my early 20s (in my later 20s now) with my weight despite losing (and gaining, and losing, and gaining, and losing) - today marks nearly 2,5years of consistently tracking my calories, every.single.day. for 27 months - Christmasses, birthdays, holidays... even when I do allow myself to eat more, I track it and feel guilty. (there's a fair bit of shame attached to that behaviour that I know is harmful to myself and to anyone who might identify that behaviour when seeing me). While I think it's amazing Emma says she embraces her health (although her behaviour as exhibited on social media does not actually show someone embracing their health and having fun with it, but rather someone chipping away at themselves and their body in a desperate attempt to fit a mould and hiding that self destruction behind the new wave of health, body and fitness positivity that has been appropriated by skinny white women (who are not my target here, btw), overall, watching her, even thinking of her content throws me into fairly intense pangs of self hatred, anxiety and shame (I was smaller than her when I began watching her and now am around a size 10, sometimes a 12, so around her size or slightly larger/taller) because I've not kept up with her. The way she presents fitness and eating is as a competition - I've been unsubscribed for a while now, but much the same way as my eating disorder keeps pulling me back in, I sometimes check in on her channel and it just makes me pretty unwell. Her rationing of food ("I'll eat this fresh donut from a fancy bakery that is clearly a special treat in 3 days because i haven't done enough to deserve it yet") is the sort of severely disordered food talk I used to do at my very worst, when I was in therapy for DE.
What is frustrating is that it seems like there is nobody to tell people in the public space such as Emma how much harm they are really doing by perpetuating lies based on effectively publicly self harming in the name of health and wellness.

Last edited:
  • Heart
"Tim and I are gonna share one of these [protein bars] after lunch" like wtf you absolute vile joke STOP THIS RESTRICTIVE DANGEROUS HARMFUL BEHAVIOUR ?!!? who on earth starts their vlog with a shot of them squatting before even any kind of intro? honestly it's just so bad. I'd be so disappointed as a parent if this was all my kid aspired to, shaming teenage girls into buying protein bars they're then too scared to eat anyway because they contain the wrong amount of macros (not that any of her vulnerable viewers - or her - understand enough nutritional facts to get what their bodies actually need)

• Wow
"Tim and I are gonna share one of these [protein bars] after lunch" like wtf you absolute vile joke STOP THIS RESTRICTIVE DANGEROUS HARMFUL BEHAVIOUR ?!!? who on earth starts their vlog with a shot of them squatting before even any kind of intro? honestly it's just so bad. I'd be so disappointed as a parent if this was all my kid aspired to, shaming teenage girls into buying protein bars they're then too scared to eat anyway because they contain the wrong amount of macros (not that any of her vulnerable viewers - or her - understand enough nutritional facts to get what their bodies actually need)
I noticed that if they ever get anything from a bakery they half like a doughnut and then have to wait to eat the other one, she is so restrictive with everything she has

I noticed that if they ever get anything from a bakery they half like a doughnut and then have to wait to eat the other one, she is so restrictive with everything she has
I know. She doesn’t ever seem to treat herself fully. If I get a doughnut, I eat it, and besides why would you leave it and it when it’s started to go stale. Enjoy the moment!

I know. She doesn’t ever seem to treat herself fully. If I get a doughnut, I eat it, and besides why would you leave it and it when it’s started to go stale. Enjoy the moment!
I'd eat mine before I got home, I work out and eat healthy and somewhat look at what I'm eating but I have a healthy relationship with food, and she always says she does but if that was the case she would only allow her self to do this and restrict her self so much and honestly it seems like she does tim aswell like she can only have half so so can he

Also you can fit things like that into calorie allowances!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.