Emily Clarkson (em_clarkson)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep, saw that post this morning along with the one where she was complaining about that article about her. She's a public 'personality' that had monetised her social media, people are going to talk about her and she needs to get used to it.

I've really had enough of her now, this happens every time with influencers. I think my tolerance is about 3 months and after that they tend to show their true colours.
I get the impression she has a huge chip on her shoulder over how influencing is generally perceived as pretty vacuous.

She brings it up a lot and I think her latching on to social issues such as feminism, body positivity etc etc. Is her way of trying to make herself feel a bit more purposeful perhaps, less shallow.

Ultimately though, she’s not qualified to speak on a lot of these issues. As a slim, wealthy white woman, with connections in the media industry that have smoothed her career path (and presumably without any sort of formal education in the topics she speaks about) she has a very limited scope.

Ultimately, like any other influencer, she shills products/services for money, with little regard to the ethics or sustainability of the products. Talking about “needing women to know how powerful they are” and putting a feminism slant is no different imo to hypocritical companies celebrating IWD when they have huge gender pay gaps.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I get the impression she has a huge chip on her shoulder over how influencing is generally perceived as pretty vacuous.

She brings it up a lot and I think her latching on to social issues such as feminism, body positivity etc etc. Is her way of trying to make herself feel a bit more purposeful perhaps, less shallow.

Ultimately though, she’s not qualified to speak on a lot of these issues. As a slim, wealthy white woman, with connections in the media industry that have smoothed her career path (and presumably without any sort of formal education in the topics she speaks about) she has a very limited scope.

Ultimately, like any other influencer, she shills products/services for money, with little regard to the ethics or sustainability of the products. Talking about “needing women to know how powerful they are” and putting a feminism slant is no different imo to hypocritical companies celebrating IWD when they have huge gender pay gaps.
This. She is more palatable than a lot of ‘influencers’ but she’s trying so hard to make out like she’s in another category when in reality she’s just using her followers to make money like they all are.

I don’t mind her talking more about ‘issues’ rather than just shilling pretty bags etc but she harps on about feminism and saying what she wants yet seems verrrrry thin skinned if anyone says anything negative. (Not talking about the press, I can’t imagine having a national newspaper writing about you is nice at all).

I hope not but I assume she’s trying the I’m-so-relatable-like-your-best-mate angle in order to gain a larger following and therefore make more money.

Basically - I enjoy her content more than a lot of them but I can see her monetising a lot more soon and then essentially becoming what she hates? Also quite sick of seeing her dancing around flailing her arms.

Reactions: 6
This. She is more palatable than a lot of ‘influencers’ but she’s trying so hard to make out like she’s in another category when in reality she’s just using her followers to make money like they all are.

I don’t mind her talking more about ‘issues’ rather than just shilling pretty bags etc but she harps on about feminism and saying what she wants yet seems verrrrry thin skinned if anyone says anything negative. (Not talking about the press, I can’t imagine having a national newspaper writing about you is nice at all).

I hope not but I assume she’s trying the I’m-so-relatable-like-your-best-mate angle in order to gain a larger following and therefore make more money.

Basically - I enjoy her content more than a lot of them but I can see her monetising a lot more soon and then essentially becoming what she hates? Also quite sick of seeing her dancing around flailing her arms.
Honestly, from my perspective I find the hypocrisy harder to stomach with em and her ilk than with other influencers. At least most influencers are aware their content is pretty shallow, fun and not that deep. And they seem content to live with that.

Em wants to be seen as credible and intelligent and thought provoking. Presumably the way her idol Bryony Gordon is (kind of - I don’t rate Bryony Gordon at all. She’s yet another privileged white lady dominating the media, who benefited from family connections. She was also a gossip columnist for the type of rags Em detests so much, and most gossip columnists in my experience have deeply misogynistic undertones…but she got a book deal and talks about mental health so shes a “serious” writer now).

Em wants to be taken seriously but she also wants to make money, off of brand deals and by promoting products. That type of work is fine, lots of people enjoy marketing.

But if she wants to be seen as someone serious who fights social justice causes… then don’t be an influencer? Either embrace the fact you want to be taken seriously as a proponent of social causes and quit the influencing stuff and devote your career to that, or content yourself with shilling sports bras for money - a fairly shallow endeavour.

For context, I made the decision to go into a line of work that tackles real social issues and has a wide impact. It’s often really difficult, it’s not well paid, it’s stressful. But it does have a meaningful impact that I’m proud of. It makes a difference to a lot of people. It’s not glamorous or (usually!) a ton of fun but I can live with that.

Taking selfies for a job and posting about dating apps looks fun and easy. And if that’s what Em wants that’s fine. But I wish she’d stop acting like she’s making a profound and deep impact by throwing out word salads, and getting offended when someone points out her career of choice isn’t that deep.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m really trying with their podcast because they cover topics I’m interested in with decent guests but my GOODNESS the shrieking and shrill laughter over stories that aren’t funny… definitely not one for headphones

Reactions: 7
I’m really trying with their podcast because they cover topics I’m interested in with decent guests but my GOODNESS the shrieking and shrill laughter over stories that aren’t funny… definitely not one for headphones
Same. Generally I like Em, she's intelligent and articulate and excellent at interviewing her guests. Alex (the co-host, not Em's fiancé) isn't as engaging. I would like it if they dropped the silly chit-chat part of the podcast and just kept it to the interviews. The grief counsellor episode was really good. As for Em's Insta, yeah the ads are a bit annoying but I just skip them. At least she's only selling (or seems to be only selling) products she actually uses and likes, unlike a lot of other influencers. Her Stories are a good place for the nonsense, and FGF, they don't need to be on the podcast as well.

Reactions: 9
She’s so defensive I’m really going off her now, it’s like when she’s losing a point & more people disagree with her than agree she just cannot take it

• Heart
Reactions: 16
She’s so defensive I’m really going off her now, it’s like when she’s losing a point & more people disagree with her than agree she just cannot take it
I think I’m going off her because of things people have pointed out on this thread 🤣

• Haha
It’s all just a massive contradiction. The podcast guest is all about confidence but has to endure abuse and trolling as a result of the content she chooses to put out there, Alex and Em are against all of this behaviour but they have encouraged more comments and conversations about Nelly with their insta posts, surely making the situation worse for their friend. Both their content regularly encourages engagement/discussion from their following, but then they react like this when they aren’t agreed with.

I’ll be honest, I listen to their podcast and have found their previous interviews interesting (and I barely follow any Instagrammers) but I’m not sure in this case what they wanted from everyone in terms of a reaction? They can put across their opinions as forcefully as they want, it’s their platform at the end of the day, but the arguing with individuals in the comments seems unnecessary. It’s probably all to up the engagement, simple as that. Weird to do it at the expense of a mate though - especially one who has never done a podcast for this reason. I note she hasn’t addressed it at all.
She’s currently in Barbados too, why’s she spending her time ranting on Instagram?
I’d defo leave this to Alex and enjoy my holiday if I were her! The ‘argument’ or ‘drama’ is only continuing because of them 😂

Reactions: 5
They can put across their opinions as forcefully as they want, it’s their platform at the end of the day, but the arguing with individuals in the comments seems unnecessary. It’s probably all to up the engagement, simple as that. Weird to do it at the expense of a mate though - especially one who has never done a podcast for this reason. I note she hasn’t addressed it at all.

I’d defo leave this to Alex and enjoy my holiday if I were her! The ‘argument’ or ‘drama’ is only continuing because of them 😂
Yep exactly. They are definitely doing it for the engagement.

It’s utterly pathetic to argue in the comments the way they are. Someone (very reasonably), said they didn’t think it was appropriate for someone to be walking around in underwear. Em’s response?

“Go have a word with every single builder from may-September pls”

Like, what? What is she even talking about? Builders bums? Builders working topless? Not only does she like childish, argumentative and holier than thou - she sounds stupid af and uneducated too.

Building sites are not the same at all, as someone walking in the street in underwear that is inherently sexual in nature.

A bikini is not sexual by nature. Builders working topless is not sexual by nature.

Lingerie that is silky, lacy and with a purely ornamental garter belt - is sexual.

It isn’t about women’s bodies or being empowered. It isn’t even addressing the argument of how overly sexualised women’s bodies are. This was purely a vanity stunt by Nelly. You can be empowered in your body without wearing lingerie. You can be empowered fully clothed or in cotton Granny pants. If Nelly wants to wear her undies because that empowers her? Fine. If she wants to take pics of it, fine. But walking around in public in undies? (Why is that empowering exactly?) the public sphere is a shared space. We should be considerate towards others.

It’s about someone wearing an outwardly sexual outfit in a public space and the appropriateness of that. If I saw a man wearing a leather thong strutting the streets, id find that immensely uncomfortable, just as much as I’d find Nelly uncomfortable. And that doesn’t make me some Puritan, or evil proponent of misogyny.

The fact that Alex and Em can’t countenance reasonable, alternate viewpoints to their own just showcases how narrow minded, unintelligent and idiotic they both are. They could’ve considered that what they see as empowering, isn’t a universal opinion. They could have addressed the deeper Qs of the different attitudes to female bodies v male. But no, em makes a sarcastic, idiotic, glib comment and then probably smugly gives herself a pat on the back over how clever she is and over the insta engagement.

D58FD808-957A-465F-B6C9-74443CF22433.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
What the duck is this about? Generally love Em but this is out of order.

“You can control what happens in your house but not what I do in the street” - so you’re allowed to do anything you like regardless of it’s impact on others if it’s in a public place? Eh

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
I've had to un follow her, I liked her up until this. Both her and Alex(the other lady that does the podcast) keep saying it is ok to have a difference of opinion but then in the next breath it's like only their opinion on this matters

Reactions: 16
I've never disagreed with Em up until now. If I saw Nelly in the street in lingerie I wouldn't be offended or have much to say but I can still respect that it might make other people uncomfortable. I don't get why they're putting such energy in trying to invalidate these people. It's not up to Em and Alex to determine what should make others uncomfortable or not.

There are flaws in their arguments too like someone above mentioned.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I find Em.touchy and ranty lately, like she has trigger finger where she can't just sit with her thoughts for a bit. She needs to furiously type out a rant to maybe later delete.

Screenshot_20220405-214016_Instagram.jpg

Actually you know what I just saw this and it's pissed me right off. duck off. Every single person you argued with had more intellectual arguments than what you're giving credit for. You just know there's minimal logic behind your argument so you have to be petty about it.

Edit: Want to add that everyone she's disagreeing with are legitimate followers of hers. It's not like the IG algorithm has blasted her on the wrong side of IG where all the mysogynistic, crappy men are. Like these are people that up until now have been fully with her. Surely that should make her question herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
View attachment 1173733
Actually you know what I just saw this and it's pissed me right off. duck off. Every single person you argued with had more intellectual arguments than what you're giving credit for. You just know there's minimal logic behind your argument so you have to be petty about it.
She’s gone from 100 to 0 in 48 hours. Vile behaviour.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.