Emily Clarkson (em_clarkson)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She reminds me of a bully. The kind of girl in school who was soooo good at appearing like an angel to teachers and parents but was horrendous behind the scenes. I get strong bully vibes off her but can’t put my finger on why - I think it’s how I see her interact with people in comments, and the way she comes across as very ranty and sanctimonious.

I appreciate my opinion might not be shared by others on the thread but I get really bad vibes.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
TBH, I didn't mind her at first but now I'm less interested in her content. She seems to do this 'I'm not like other girls/influencers' thing, but she's... a bleeping influencer.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
TBH, I didn't mind her at first but now I'm less interested in her content. She seems to do this 'I'm not like other girls/influencers' thing, but she's... a bleeping influencer.
Agree. I’m not actually sure what she does, if that makes sense. She randomly posts ads then just responds to comments.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I generally like her but can’t help but think she is going to go insane as it seems at least one of her followers is going to disagree/take umbrage with even the smallest silly thing she posts about. I don’t know how you could live a happy life having to constantly apologise to people or defend or clarify your every move. And also when she had Covid and people were on at her about not being able to have her operation.. why would people do that 🤦🏻‍♀️ I feel bad for her.

Reactions: 5
I generally like her but can’t help but think she is going to go insane as it seems at least one of her followers is going to disagree/take umbrage with even the smallest silly thing she posts about. I don’t know how you could live a happy life having to constantly apologise to people or defend or clarify your every move. And also when she had Covid and people were on at her about not being able to have her operation.. why would people do that 🤦🏻‍♀️ I feel bad for her.
Came here from Niomi Smart's thread as Em waded in on Niomi's insta.

Maybe I'll stand alone here, but here goes...

Em Clarkson actually asked for people's stories on jaw surgeries, (to up her insta engagement) and told her auidence she had covid near her op date etc. By marketing herself as a dear chum / big sister to her auidence they will feel like they can message her with thoughts and advise just as they would an actual friend. She isn't their mate, she's a sales person on insta masquerading as a big sister figure, yet like the rest chooses to keep the friend act going while she establishes a larger and larger following who she currently needs to interact with her while growing her insta engagement figures.

She needed the SM following to get her book sales, she got the publishing deal thanks to family connections, and is very lucky. People stating she doesn't use Jeremy Clarkson's to get exposure, well...firstly she has his name, secondly she has his face (not saying she looks like a man but as soon as I saw her I knew, as she has her father's features) and lastly having Jezza all over her socials (with his reputation for being a ruddy cheeked bully, who was fired for punching camera crew over lack of steaks. His being a Conservative etc) won't appeal to her target auidence of younger, mostly Liberal women who want to be told that just by showing up they're doing great, and that insta filters aren't real (a good message!) She will however take all the lucrative endorsement deals along the way - thanks. Picking up where Jameela Jamil's twitter tapered off and offering a picture free version of Florence Given's book. Em seems to (like her Father) just enjoy the sound of her own voice, an awful lot.

Her insta is mostly fun at this stage, but she's in it for the easy life, the huge cash grabs and minimal work hours like the rest if the influencers who refuse to acknowledge their privilege, and will screw over their auidence in time when the right deal is offered.

Enjoy her, but don't be fooled, she is just like the rest of them and only has her own best interests at heart.

She reminds me of a bully. The kind of girl in school who was soooo good at appearing like an angel to teachers and parents but was horrendous behind the scenes. I get strong bully vibes off her but can’t put my finger on why - I think it’s how I see her interact with people in comments, and the way she comes across as very ranty and sanctimonious.

I appreciate my opinion might not be shared by others on the thread but I get really bad vibes.
Yes!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I think she might be like Jezza in the sense that a bust clock is right twice a day. Says something sensible every once in a while so their respective fans forget all the negative stuff.

She clearly doesn't recognise her own privilege. Yes, she's had some difficult things going on, but everyone else has those, often without the strong financial cushion and lack of a responsible job that she has. She'll have grown up in a bubble and has no idea how the other half live. Normally I wouldn't hold it against her, but I am so DONE with these useless influencers lately.

She comes from a family that will be no stranger to PR and how to handle press/online comments. If she was that bothered about it she would give up socials and get a job, but she'll like the easy money and nice comments too much.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Came here from Niomi Smart's thread as Em waded in on Niomi's insta.

Maybe I'll stand alone here, but here goes...

Em Clarkson actually asked for people's stories on jaw surgeries, (to up her insta engagement) and told her auidence she had covid near her op date etc. By marketing herself as a dear chum / big sister to her auidence they will feel like they can message her with thoughts and advise just as they would an actual friend. She isn't their mate, she's a sales person on insta masquerading as a big sister figure, yet like the rest chooses to keep the friend act going while she establishes a larger and larger following who she currently needs to interact with her while growing her insta engagement figures.

She needed the SM following to get her book sales, she got the publishing deal thanks to family connections, and is very lucky. People stating she doesn't use Jeremy Clarkson's to get exposure, well...firstly she has his name, secondly she has his face (not saying she looks like a man but as soon as I saw her I knew, as she has her father's features) and lastly having Jezza all over her socials (with his reputation for being a ruddy cheeked bully, who was fired for punching camera crew over lack of steaks. His being a Conservative etc) won't appeal to her target auidence of younger, mostly Liberal women who want to be told that just by showing up they're doing great, and that insta filters aren't real (a good message!) She will however take all the lucrative endorsement deals along the way - thanks. Picking up where Jameela Jamil's twitter tapered off and offering a picture free version of Florence Given's book. Em seems to (like her Father) just enjoy the sound of her own voice, an awful lot.

Her insta is mostly fun at this stage, but she's in it for the easy life, the huge cash grabs and minimal work hours like the rest if the influencers who refuse to acknowledge their privilege, and will screw over their auidence in time when the right deal is offered.

Enjoy her, but don't be fooled, she is just like the rest of them and only has her own best interests at heart.

Yes!
yep you nailed it.

she basically regurgitates Florence Given.

Florence Given who happens to be another privileged, upper middle class white girl, who has regurgitated ideas that have been floating around on tumblr and who was accused of stealing work from slumflower (a person of colour).

Em Clarkson is basically just yet another privileged, wealthy white person on insta. They all circle jerk with each other. And they pretend they care, but really all they care about is money from ads. I saw her arguing with someone in comments under her post that we shouldn’t argue against women making money when they pointed out that fast fashion was exploitative (against other women).

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I generally quite like her and think that she has good intentions in what she tries to say, although I can see that her main intention is to boost engagement, sell things and ultimately make money by doing very little actual work. I do think she’s created an interesting and probably quite damaging situation for herself with this ‘kind and wise older sister’ persona, that has encouraged people who are prone to overinvesting their time and energy into influencers to form parasocial relationships with her and feel like she owes them something she doesn’t.

The one thing I really can’t get past when I see her content is how much she contorts herself to create the illusion that she is anything but a slim, conventionally attractive, able-bodied white woman. The bending to get stomach rolls and then pretending she understands what it’s like to live in a bigger body is WILD. Same goes for Alex Light.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I quite like her in lots of ways but also find her a bit annoying. FGF really gets on my tits when she makes it about her doing tit dancing and staring at herself in the camera! Enjoy reading them when they're shared with pics / videos of the person involved or their achievements.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I like the FGF. It’s like learning a different mindset to be happy for other people no matter how big or small their thing is, rather than always being in competition or being jealous of achievements.
I do prefer peoples’ own photos of videos and can see why people would not like her dancing, I often read the comment and skip her dancing.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
See, I don't dislike Emily.

BUT - I do wish she would stop trying to be everyone's big sister.

Reactions: 4
Is she having a baby with a surrogate or was that someone else's news? It was on her stories with no other explanation and I couldn't see anything on her grid about it. Genuinely curious, as it's quite a big deal in the UK (where she is) unlike America.

I was pleased she was out volunteering packing up emergency supplies for the Ukraine. Actually helping, unlike so many of the influencers.

Reactions: 3
Has anyone been listening to her podcast? I think she comes across really well in it, she’s articulated and adds good insight to some quite difficult topics. Not so keen on her cohost.

Reactions: 7
I definitely think she tries to come off as relatable, but it’s clear that she’s rich and she comes from an upper class, privileged family. You only have to look at her dad to see that.

Also, random side note: but why do her eyelashes always look SO clumpy?! 🥴

Reactions: 7
I love her and I love the FGF I always smile watching it. And I DETEST influencers she’s the only one I follow. Yes she’s priveledged and she’s still using us for ££. But I don’t mind really. I think she’s a good egg overall

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
I overall like her, she’s privileged yeah and I am not entirely sure how she affords her lifestyle or what she actually does all day, but hey she’s certainly putting a better message out there than most and I like that she sticks up for herself, calls tit out and doesn’t mind just saying it how it is.

Although i have a slight issue that every time she does a post where her stomach is on show she poses with her arms above her head trying to make herself look slimmer. Like yeah we’d obviously all do the same, but on the next post she’ll be ranting about how fake Instagram is and how you should be happy in your own body.. just find it a bit troublesome.

Reactions: 14
I overall like her, she’s privileged yeah and I am not entirely sure how she affords her lifestyle or what she actually does all day, but hey she’s certainly putting a better message out there than most and I like that she sticks up for herself, calls tit out and doesn’t mind just saying it how it is.

Although i have a slight issue that every time she does a post where her stomach is on show she poses with her arms above her head trying to make herself look slimmer. Like yeah we’d obviously all do the same, but on the next post she’ll be ranting about how fake Instagram is and how you should be happy in your own body.. just find it a bit troublesome.
I think she knows what the right thing to say is, what will sit well with people, and goes with it.

she doesn’t have a lot of original ideas. She is all about feminism and inclusivity on a surface level, in that she’ll regurgitate feminist quotes. What some people might call “saying it like it is” to me comes across as aggressive and rude; as someone who is convinced of their superiority and will attack anyone who dares disagree.

In an ad she posted for a sweaty betty sports bra, she talks about female empowerment and “breast concerns” among women, how Sweaty Betty have a campaign to encourage women to exercise yada yada yada.

except sweaty Betty as a brand, isn’t sustainable. On the rating website good on you sweaty Betty scored 2/5 on the Labour rating and were rated overall as “not good enough” with the verdict on their labour practices; “There is no evidence it has worker empowerment initiatives such as collective bargaining or rights to make a complaint. There is no evidence it ensures payment of a living wage in its supply chain. It traces some of its supply chain. It audits some of its supply chain including all of the final stage of production.”

who makes up the majority of labourers in the fast fashion industry? That’s right - women and girls. Em is happy for female empowerment when she’s able to #ad it, she’s happy to talk about it because she knows it appeals to most of us reading. but if she was *truly* about empowering women; wouldn’t she care about these women bein exploited by this particular brand? Wouldn’t she highlight that in her ad? Wouldn’t she refuse to work with Sweatyy Betty until they improved? It’s easy to interview popular female journalists and influencers and bloggers and ask them to talk about how hard it is being a female in the public space. That isn’t hard hitting or unique. These are women who already have a platform, a voice. The garment workers do not.

someone pointed it out to her in a comment a little while back, and I noticed because she was super sarky. They pointed out that fast fashion is exploitive and it’s something a lot of influencers are involved in. em’s response?

“Why don’t you want women to make money?” Aka female influencers are making money so what’s the issue? Who cares about female garment workers?

and in response to that same person saying women shouldn’t make money if it exploits other women;

“You say women must support each other and then literally say you don’t want women making money if it’s in a way you don’t agree with” like yes, obviously Em. No one should be happy to make money off of poor, underpaid, exploited women. That isn’t feminism. Feminism is dismantling patriarchal systems (of which fast fashion is one). What em is doing is pushing these garment workers to the side to get a place at the table for herself. That’s working to keep the patriarchial systems in place under the guise of feminism.

Don’t let her empty platitudes fool you. Em doesn’t care about anything other than making herself money. That’s how I came to learn of her existence: that time she had a meltdown because someone reported her posts. She was worried she’d lose money because of it.

to everyone who says they like her; she knows exactly what she’s doing. She’s saying things she knows you like hearing. But she’s not practicing it. Her attitude towards fast fashion shows her complete hypocrisy.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Yep, saw that post this morning along with the one where she was complaining about that article about her. She's a public 'personality' that had monetised her social media, people are going to talk about her and she needs to get used to it.

I've really had enough of her now, this happens every time with influencers. I think my tolerance is about 3 months and after that they tend to show their true colours.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.