Eastenders #27 Ben has been slapped down for good

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
is that scene with penny meant to be believable lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It’s strange isn’t it, like growing up black we learn about all the uk history Kings and Queens etc but stuff like this is learned as an adult.
Growing up mixed race and Learning about black British history in school very, much was watching roots and and being told that our ancestors were all black slavers they covered up the positive aspects of our history they never told us that their once was black kings and queens the whole process was designed to keep us down everything about black British history. I have learned as an adult and we are so much more than slaves.
I knew about the wind rush generation through my grandad
Not once did the school mention it

• Sad
  • Heart
I’m so glad they’ve included telling George he was Jamaican not African. Even when I was growing up there seemed this weird stigma around being African, like you were more accepted if you were Jamaican, or anywhere else in the Caribbean. That’s not even long ago either, up to about 2012

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I’m so glad they’ve included telling George he was Jamaican not African. Even when I was growing up there seemed this weird stigma around being African, like you were more accepted if you were Jamaican, or anywhere else in the Caribbean. That’s not even long ago either, up to about 2012
I wonder why that is? Are Caribbeans seen as being more like whites because more of them speak European languages like French or English and dress more like Europeans. Africans are perceived as being very different with their own culture and languages?

Reactions: 2
Ahh, the bad old days. It was tough being African back then! And the sad thing about it is we sometimes got as much stick for being African from the Caribbean people themselves.

George's parents may have said he was Jamaican so he could fit in or maybe it was ignorance on their part.

I can't imagine EE handling some of the tensions between different ethnicities of black people that well but we shall see.

I wonder why that is? Are Caribbeans seen as being more like whites because more of them speak European languages like French or English and dress more like Europeans. Africans are perceived as being very different with their own culture and languages?

That's always been my own personal theory along with the fact there were just fewer Africans in Britain.

Also, the 'Africa is poor' trope vs the Caribbean is an exotic, holiday paradise mentality.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Ahh, the bad old days. It was tough being African back then! And the sad thing about it is we sometimes got as much stick for being African from the Caribbean people themselves.

George's parents may have said he was Jamaican so he could fit in or maybe it was ignorance on their part.

I can't imagine EE handling some of the tensions between different ethnicities of black people that well but we shall see.

That's always been my own personal theory along with the fact there were just fewer Africans in Britain.

Also, the 'Africa is poor' trope vs the Caribbean is an exotic, holiday paradise mentality.
Yep! My best friend is Congolese, she got so much racial abuse at school, micro aggressions from teachers and some of that was definitely from the other Caribbean kids
That was always my theory too. Plus a lot of people from the Caribbean have “white surnames” so to the gammons that must mean we’re relatable

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Both my kids and my grandsons have Jamaican heritage, and my eldest grandson's dad told me that Africans 'aren't his people as they sold us into slavery'; this was 17 years ago, he was being deadly serious, and I was shocked by him saying this.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Both my kids and my grandsons have Jamaican heritage, and my eldest grandson's dad told me that Africans 'aren't his people as they sold us into slavery'; this was 17 years ago, he was being deadly serious, and I was shocked by him saying this.
It’s not long ago at all is it. Like looking back it seems forever but I can still remember 2009 times people from Ghana and Nigeria telling people they were Jamaican, Bajan, Trini just to avoid being cussed and treated differently

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Funny, you should say that my auntie who is of Jamaican descent always said she was more of Accepted than her African friends she said that African people were seen as slaves poor 3rd world people we’re Jamaicans were exotic and loved a drink and was more relatable to the white English people
---
An that’s was back in the 80s

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Funny, you should say that my auntie who is of Jamaican descent always said she was more of Accepted than her African friends she said that African people were seen as slaves poor 3rd world people we’re Jamaicans were exotic and loved a drink and was more relatable to the white English people
My theory on this is that the majority of people who came to the UK from the Caribbean were from commonwealth countries and invited (Windrush generation). That's why they were more accepted just like those who came from India (formerly part of the British empire and commonwealth).

Reactions: 10
Growing up mixed race and Learning about black British history in school very, much was watching roots and and being told that our ancestors were all black slavers they covered up the positive aspects of our history they never told us that their once was black kings and queens the whole process was designed to keep us down everything about black British history. I have learned as an adult and we are so much more than slaves.
I knew about the wind rush generation through my grandad
Not once did the school mention it
Very much this. In high school we spent a couple of history lessons on the slave trade and that was it.

I'm invested in the farming storyline but it'll be a hard watch. George's dad makes my skin crawl (a testament to the actor I suppose!) The way he refers to George as "boy" and his comments to Gina have me seething. My brother and I are mixed race and grew up with our mum's side of the family who are white and we'd always get comments about our skin tone and hair. Luckily for us they were just said in ignorance and not in malice and we learned when to call it out and when to brush it off. But still having to deal with it from your own family is a mind duck.
Re: tonight's ep: I know Anna comes across a bit dim but surely she would notice how her Grandad is being a bleep to her sister and have something to say? If it was happening to my sib in front of me, I'd tell the old git to pipe the duck down! I understand why George might be too conflicted to say anything but good for Cindy for stepping up. I do feel for George's mum and I find her character believable. The scene between her and George at the table was really touching. Dreading to find out what they're hiding about George's birth parents.

ETA: loved Yolande tonight. Ain't nobody here mash up me and my Patrick ❤

Also couldn't stop laughing at Penny in yesterday's ep on the phone "sor-tay mah coo-zen doo lah!" 🤣 just really tickled me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
the mum and dad are hiding something
I've been trying to work it out what else could they be hiding? Are his parents in the UK or something, did they steal George kind off as she mentioned payments being stopped.

Reactions: 9
For those who haven't seen what Reiss looks like in real life out of character....Please make sure you're sat down before looking as you dirty slags might just have a new favourite :D

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
For those who haven't seen what Reiss looks like in real life out of character....Please make sure you're sat down before looking as you dirty slags might just have a new favourite :D

Nope sorry, he does nothing for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Very much this. In high school we spent a couple of history lessons on the slave trade and that was it.

I'm invested in the farming storyline but it'll be a hard watch. George's dad makes my skin crawl (a testament to the actor I suppose!) The way he refers to George as "boy" and his comments to Gina have me seething. My brother and I are mixed race and grew up with our mum's side of the family who are white and we'd always get comments about our skin tone and hair. Luckily for us they were just said in ignorance and not in malice and we learned when to call it out and when to brush it off. But still having to deal with it from your own family is a mind duck.
Re: tonight's ep: I know Anna comes across a bit dim but surely she would notice how her Grandad is being a bleep to her sister and have something to say? If it was happening to my sib in front of me, I'd tell the old git to pipe the duck down! I understand why George might be too conflicted to say anything but good for Cindy for stepping up. I do feel for George's mum and I find her character believable. The scene between her and George at the table was really touching. Dreading to find out what they're hiding about George's birth parents.

ETA: loved Yolande tonight. Ain't nobody here mash up me and my Patrick ❤

Also couldn't stop laughing at Penny in yesterday's ep on the phone "sor-tay mah coo-zen doo lah!" 🤣 just really tickled me.
See my mum is white British but there is some Spanish and Irish and German in her way back when
She was born and brought up in toxteth so was my nan and all her sisters married black men so that wasn’t a problem my mum family are liberal and integrated thankfully

Reactions: 6
Yolande and Patrick are starting to foster in the classic episodes and really want a child to look after
Coincidence?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.