Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Beautiful actress,played Estelle didn’t she in Great Expectations.

Also in later life in a Miss Marple Agatha Christie.Married at one time to Stewart Granger.
A Murder is Announced is the MM she starred in, a good role. Starring the marvellous Joan Hickson, too.

Reactions: 2

Yootha Joyce. I think she was highly underrated.
They have George and Mildred on in the early afternoon, can’t remember what channel, but it’s really enjoyable! Some of the jokes or comments I give a bit of an eye roll to, but I go into it knowing that it’s from a totally different era so of course it’s going to be a different type of comedy!

May I add to the selection: Kay Kendall. I’ve only seen her in one film but it’s a great if you want a gentile Sunday afternoon viewing - it’s called Genevieve. Stars Kendall and Kenneth More.
4222D093-1819-4819-824A-A13483C34709.jpeg

In 1955 she started an affair with Rex Harrison when he was married to Lili Palmer. However, when he learned from Kendall's doctor that she had been diagnosed with myeloid leukaemia, he and Palmer agreed to divorce so that he could marry Kendall and provide for her care. Kendall was never told she was ill and eventually, dying. She died in 1959 at the age of just 32.

@Pipsy - what a great thread! Thank you for creating it ♥

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
This article is hilarious:

He wasn't stuffy. He was very easygoing, smoked jazz cigarettes, disappeared for days clubbing and was a big fan of Earth Wind and Fire!
“Jazz cigarettes”! Don’t think I’ve heard that expression before.

This thread is amazing and very interesting. We watched My Fair Lady recently, and I was telling my husband what a reputation as a bastard Rex Harrison had. He replied that he used to be called Reg. I think Audrey Hepburn overacts but she looks extremely beautiful. The race scene outfits are so jaw-dropping, cream-and black with extravagant hats, with some people in pale grey, plus Audrey looks spectacular! - Cecil Beaton did the costume design. It reminds me of how the New Romantics posed.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
“Jazz cigarettes”! Don’t think I’ve heard that expression before.

This thread is amazing and so interesting. We watched My Fair Lady recently, and I was telling my husband what a reputation as a bastard Rex Harrison had. He replied that he used to be called Reg. I think Audrey Hepburn overacts but she looks so beautiful. The race scene outfits are so jaw-dropping, cream-and black with extravagant hats, with some people in pale grey, plus Audrey looks spectacular! - Cecil Beaton did the costume design. It reminds me of how the New Romantics posed.
Rex was horrible to Audrey! And to Julie when they did the orignal play. He can get in the bin.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Janet Munro - was in Swiss Family Robinson and Darby O’Gill and the Little People. Reminds me of Kay Kendall because they both died in their 30’s - Munro was 38.
ACED5AEE-6391-4BAC-8FB3-D975F9439F13.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 13
They have George and Mildred on in the early afternoon, can’t remember what channel, but it’s really enjoyable! Some of the jokes or comments I give a bit of an eye roll to, but I go into it knowing that it’s from a totally different era so of course it’s going to be a different type of comedy!

May I add to the selection: Kay Kendall. I’ve only seen her in one film but it’s a great if you want a gentile Sunday afternoon viewing - it’s called Genevieve. Stars Kendall and Kenneth More.
View attachment 1323819
In 1955 she started an affair with Rex Harrison when he was married to Lili Palmer. However, when he learned from Kendall's doctor that she had been diagnosed with myeloid leukaemia, he and Palmer agreed to divorce so that he could marry Kendall and provide for her care. Kendall was never told she was ill and eventually, dying. She died in 1959 at the age of just 32.

@Pipsy - what a great thread! Thank you for creating it ♥
Kendall is good in 'Simon and Laura' - a smart satire about TV shows.

Rex Harrison's lover Carole Landis committted suicide, although her family have always claimed he killed her. The controversy wrecked his Hollywood career for years, rather understandably. His ability to provoke even his own staff to hit him was amazing.

Reactions: 6
Many years ago my sister worked in Maidenhead at a company that made medications worked there for many years one of the women she worked with used to be an actress she starred in the film ‘His Majesty O’Keefe’ with Burt Lancaster who played the lead,her name was Joan Rice.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I still watch the Carry On films whenever I can. I just find them so relaxing and laugh out loud at all the jokes again and again. One of my favourites is Carry on Cabby with Hattie Jaques and Sid James. She plays the downtrodden wife who starts her own rival cab company. Early Feminism at work in the 60s 😁🥰
This is one of my favourite Carry on films as well.

Reactions: 5
The english actress Susan Shaw was another one who died tragically young, from a drinking problem, which started after her husband was killed in a car accident.

I actually met her at a party in 1974, my mum was heavily pregnant with my sister, I was 9 years old at the time.
I'd never heard of her but my mum knew who she was, and was slightly starstruck on meeting her. Susan was dating a friend of the party hostess, apparently she got very drunk at the party and had to be taken home by her boyfriend. We missed all of that, my mum and dad took us home early, as my mum couldn't really enjoy herself, and me and my brother were so young, I think my parents realised that it wasn't going to be a good place for kids that night. My mum won't hear a word against her, she said that she was "lovely" and really nice to talk to.
gettyimages-668669173-2048x2048.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Brian Murphy - still very much with us. Yes, Yootha's life in general seemed very sad - another one it would have been interesting to see in later years.
He's 90 this year! Lives near Bromley, or certainly did a couple of years ago. Nice old chap, used to see him happily pottering around Waitrose :)

• Heart
Reactions: 13