Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do we know of Hammer actresses Jenny Hanley and Hazel Court?

179648__37635.1519481986.500.500.jpg
186849__64594.1519347667.500.500.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I wonder who or what Percy Groupie is.
It's from a sex comedy called Percy's Progress apparently. Looks dreadful. 🙈

"Percy, the man with the world's first penis transplant, discovers that there is a chemical in the city's water that makes men impotent."

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Jenny’s father used to appear on Telly in the fifties/sixties Jimmy Hanley I believe, his wife was film actreSS. His second wife Dinah Sheridan Jenny’s Mother,she was in Railway children and Genevieve.

remember Hazel Court.
Jenny's brother became Chairman of the Conservative party, but not for long.

Reactions: 3
It's from a sex comedy called Percy's Progress apparently. Looks dreadful. 🙈

"Percy, the man with the world's first penis transplant, discovers that there is a chemical in the city's water that makes men impotent."

Quality!

I remember Magpie more than Blue Peter. I was never into the latter. I thought Jenny was beautiful.

Reactions: 4
What do we know of Hammer actresses Jenny Hanley and Hazel Court?

View attachment 1324544View attachment 1324545
Hazel Court was Britain's 'scream queen' for a while. But in the late 50s/early 60s she was very busy on US TV, where she got the kind of roles that Joan Collins probably fancied. There's a great Hitchcock Presents episode where she marries a very frail old millionaire, expecting him to keel over after the wedding, and he lives on for years after. Very funny performance.

I briefly met him and his wife at an event in London a few years back.

I thought it was amusing that his name in Man About the House spelt G Roper

• Haha
Brian Murphy is married to Linda Regan, who played the whiny, lovesick April in 'Hi-de-Hi'. I'm always interested when some of the former cast pop up here and there. Some are still working, like Su Pollard (Peggy), Ruth Madoc (Gladys) and Jeffrey Holland (Spike). Others we know have died (Felix Bowness, Paul Shane, Kenneth Connor, Diane Holland, Barry Howard, etc.). Other ones still living we don't hear much of, such as David Griffin (Clive, also played Emmet in 'Keeping Up Appearances'), Nikki Kelly (although she did pop on a recent lockdown podcast thingummy remembering 'Hi-De-Hi') and Rikki Howard.

I love the old comedies/ sit-coms such as 'Are You Being Served?', 'Allo, 'Allo!', 'Hi-de-Hi', 'Fawlty Towers' and so on. Far less PC but so very funny. It was a time when people took the piss out of each other and themselves and actually made farce out of prejudice/ misogyny. The 'joke' was often on the perpetrator(s). I definitely wouldn't go as far as appreciating some of the Stand Up comedy (i.e. Bernard Manning- vile, Jim Davidson- also pretty vile) of the era but too much subtext is read into humour these days and it's stifling.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Yootha Joyce. I think she was highly underrated.
She was truly a fabulous actress (and has been my longtime avatar on here!)

There's an old film, The Pumpkin Eater, in which she does a fabulously menacing turn. There's a one woman play doing the rounds at the moment all about her later life - it's called The Testament of Yootha and is brilliant.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
She was truly a fabulous actress (and has been my longtime avatar on here!)

There's an old film, The Pumpkin Eater, in which she does a fabulously menacing turn. There's a one woman play doing the rounds at the moment all about her later life - it's called The Testament of Yootha and is brilliant.
Loved her in the pumpkin eater! UNHINGED!
loved the film full stop. Discovered Peter finch and fell had over heels 🥰 the way he looks at Ann Bancrofts character when he meets her for the first time, those eyes, swoooooon LOL binged on all his films after that.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Loved her in the pumpkin eater! UNHINGED!
loved the film full stop. Discovered Peter finch and fell had over heels 🥰 the way he looks at Ann Bancrofts character when he meets her for the first time, those eyes, swoooooon LOL binged on all his films after that.
Awww Piff never seen that film,oh yes what a hunk Peter Finch was I so remember him in A Town Called Alice.

Reactions: 3