Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pat Coombes ended up here, a care home for theatricals. I have never heard of this one, I have only heard of Brinsworth. This one has an illustrious rollcall of formal residents if you read the wiki.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I still watch the Carry On films whenever I can. I just find them so relaxing and laugh out loud at all the jokes again and again. One of my favourites is Carry on Cabby with Hattie Jaques and Sid James. She plays the downtrodden wife who starts her own rival cab company. Early Feminism at work in the 60s 😁🥰
Ah, for the 'pre-woke' days in which people didn't read subtext into everything gender based and the 'jokes' were on the men as much as the women.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Ah, for the 'pre-woke' days in which people didn't read subtext into everything gender based and the 'jokes' were on the men as much as the women.
Yes, it must be hard to be any type of performer these days, particularly those who improvise. You would be second guessing yourselves all the time. Colleen Nolan said, in an interview about Loose Women, it’s a different show these days. Before speaking they have to factor in the abuse they will get on social media, and how different that is from days of yore. Obviously she isn’t the subject matter of this thread but it shows the self censorship going on. (I am obviously not in favour of any racism/misogyny etc in case you cancel me!)

Reactions: 9
Have you watched the
Hattie Jaques docu/play,she was a very naughty lady..Lots of the people from her Carry ons said she was lovely,one said yes Lots knew she was carrying on eith men,one time caravan she was staying in was rocking backwards and forwards,🤭🤣Oh dear.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Jean Simmons, who outshone Laurence Olivier in Hamlet imo. I seem to remember reading he cast her as Ophelia because she reminded him of Vivien. She's another English actress probably better known in the US. I love her characterful face.

jean-simmons-5.jpg

Reactions: 15
Beautiful actress,played Estelle didn’t she in Great Expectations.

Also in later life in a Miss Marple Agatha Christie.Married at one time to Stewart Granger.

Reactions: 10
Have you watched the
Hattie Jaques docu/play,she was a very naughty lady..Lots of the people from her Carry ons said she was lovely,one said yes Lots knew she was carrying on eith men,one time caravan she was staying in was rocking backwards and forwards,🤭🤣Oh dear.
The one with Ruth Jones as Hattie? If so, yes. 'Twas a bit of an eye opener, indeed!

Reactions: 13
I know this film star was American but I read somewhere the Agatha Christie book (which was a Tv show) Miss Marple I believe,The mirror cracked from side to side,was based on the American film star Loretta Young.
The plot device was based on a tragic incident in Gene Tierney's life.

I've always thought it was rather cruel of Christie to exploit it in her book.

Reactions: 7
The plot device was based on a tragic incident in Gene Tierney's life.

I've always thought it was rather cruel of Christie to exploit it in her book.
Ahhh I actually thought i got it wrong I thought now was it Gene Tierney? Yes not nice was it?

Beautiful actress,played Estelle didn’t she in Great Expectations.

Also in later life in a Miss Marple Agatha Christie.Married at one time to Stewart Granger.
She also played Spartacus wife didn't she?

Reactions: 1
Ahhh I actually thought i got it wrong I thought now was it Gene Tierney? Yes not nice was it?

She also played Spartacus wife didn't she?
Yes, here's an interview on set. Not much said about the role unfortunately

Reactions: 2
I have an autobiography to read about Rex Harrison. Apparently he was a bastard. Nobody liked him.

I liked the Stanley Holloway quote on this - I thought Noel C was supposed to have said it rather than SH.
This article is hilarious:

Very odd pairing. He seemed like a really stuffy posh sort. The mind boggles 🤯
He wasn't stuffy. He was very easygoing, smoked jazz cigarettes, disappeared for days clubbing and was a big fan of Earth Wind and Fire!

• Haha
This article is hilarious:

I haven't even finished reading it and I completely agree. He sounds AWFUL but it's so funny hearing people lose it with him.

"...an elderly fur-wrapped woman, who had been standing alone in the rain outside the stage door for the best part of an hour, made the mistake of asking Harrison for his autograph. Rex, impatient to rush off to his next row at a restaurant, told her to 'sod off' and went to walk past to his smart chauffeur-driven car. This so enraged the woman that she promptly rolled up her programme and hit him with it, not once but repeatedly, hard on the head and shoulders, much to the amusement of his co-star, Stanley Holloway, who had just emerged from inside the theatre. Holloway later declared that it was a rare but welcome case of the 'fan hitting the tit'."

• Haha
  • Heart