Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didn't know whether to mention David Niven but he is so under rated. Excellent comic timing.
Yes, I agree. He had a rather unhappy last marriage, I've heard, and one of his wives died after an accident at a friend's party.

His memoirs always used to be in charity shops and were a good read (although it's many years since I've read them).

Reactions: 11
Has anyone read the book Shepperton Babylon? Must read for this type of thing!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yes, I agree. He had a rather unhappy last marriage, I've heard, and one of his wives died after an accident at a friend's party.

His memoirs always used to be in charity shops and were a good read (although it's many years since I've read them).
His beloved first wife died in a tragic accident. His second marriage became strained. His wife was an alcoholic. I think she mocked DN towards the end of his life when he was incapacitated. I think she turned up drunk to his funeral.

Loved him, a witty raconteur. His autobiographies are entertaining but should be read with a pinch of salt. He used to live with Errol Flynn back in the day, who was a bit of a lad, putting it mildly!

Has anyone read the book Shepperton Babylon? Must read for this type of thing!!
Never heard of it. Sounds right up my alley!

Update - just bought Shep Bab book too!

Is Hollywood Babylon worth a read too?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
His beloved first wife died in a tragic accident. His second marriage became strained. His wife was an alcoholic. I think she mocked DN towards the end of his life when he was incapacitated. I think she turned up drunk to his funeral.

Loved him, a witty raconteur. His autobiographies are entertaining but should be read with a pinch of salt. He used to live with Errol Flynn back in the day, who was a bit of a lad, putting it mildly!

Never heard of it. Sounds right up my alley!

Update - just bought Shep Bab book too!

Is Hollywood Babylon worth a read too?
Love Hollywood Babylon,I have original hardback a friend of my aunt in States gave it to me many,years ago,have volume 2 as well.Great reads I think.

Reactions: 4
A lot of men fancied her. Apparently she was very sensual.
Many years ago I was close friends to a gay man
,we went everywhere as he lived in Holborn area loads of clubs and pubs.☺Well before the flat he rent he told me he rented a flat and downstairs lived Yootha,he said she was a really love,y lady but would get nasty when she was pissed which was quite a lot.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Many years ago I was close friends to a gay man
,we went everywhere as he lived in Holborn area loads of clubs and pubs.☺Well before the flat he rent he told me he rented a flat and downstairs lived Yootha,he said she was a really love,y lady but would get nasty when she was pissed which was quite a lot.
She was only 53 when she died. She looked older. She had drunk 1/2 bottle of brandy every day in the 10 years before her death. Liver issues. Shame.

She was married to the actor who played Dave the Barman in Minder for a bit.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I know this film star was American but I read somewhere the Agatha Christie book (which was a Tv show) Miss Marple I believe,The mirror cracked from side to side,was based on the American film star Loretta Young.

Reactions: 4

Yootha Joyce. I think she was highly underrated.
I was going to mention her. I liked her a lot and she always seemed to be in things during my childhood. I have a bit of a weakness for atrocious spin-off films of those kind of sit-coms and the George and Mildred one finds George Roper being mistaken for an international hitman, with predictable consequences....

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Remember the actress Kay Kendall Married to Rex Harrison died in ‘59 of Leukemia.
Kay Kendall's story is so sad, she was only 32. She and Rex Harrison had an affair while he was married; Kay then fell ill and Rex and his wife Lilli agreed to divorce so he could marry Kay and care for her til the end of her life - on the basis they would get married again after Kay died (they didn't in the end though).

They never told her she was terminally ill, she thought she had an iron deficiency.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Kay Kendall's story is so sad, she was only 32. She and Rex Harrison had an affair while he was married; Kay then fell ill and Rex and his wife Lilli agreed to divorce so he could marry Kay and care for her til the end of her life - on the basis they would get married again after Kay died (they didn't in the end though).

They never told her she was terminally ill, she thought she had an iron deficiency.
Lilli Palmer was his wife wasn’t it?

Oh I do love this thread.❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I have an autobiography to read about Rex Harrison. Apparently he was a bastard. Nobody liked him.

I liked the Stanley Holloway quote on this - I thought Noel C was supposed to have said it rather than SH.

Reactions: 5
I have an autobiography to read about Rex Harrison. Apparently he was a bastard. Nobody liked him.

I liked the Stanley Holloway quote on this - I thought Noel C was supposed to have said it rather than SH.
Yes, he was what I have read.Some real buggers wasn’t they?

Never forget beautiful Audrey Hepburn.

Reactions: 3
Dorothy Squires, an ex of Roger Moore, another sad life. My dad didn’t like RM because of the way he treated DS. I am not old enough to know much about DS. RM, as charming as he was, was a bit cavalier with his many wives affections. His autobiography sort of glossed over his less than charming traits.

Reactions: 8