Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Dorothy Squires, an ex of Roger Moore, another sad life. My dad didn’t like RM because of the way he treated DS. I am not old enough to know much about DS. RM, as charming as he was, was a bit cavalier with his many wives affections. His autobiography sort of glossed over his less than charming traits.

Yes,bastard.Dorothy was alcoholic apparently..Wasn’t she much older than RM? Hmm way to the business I suppose.Didn’t she caused loads of uproar going round his house etc and causing trouble?

Reactions: 4
Yes,bastard.Dorothy was alcoholic apparently..Wasn’t she much older than RM? Hmm way to the business I suppose.Didn’t she caused loads of uproar going round his house etc and causing trouble?
About 12 years older. Not that much, but he was a young, and up and coming actor. My dad implied he used DS to get on in showbiz.

Yes, I agree. He had a rather unhappy last marriage, I've heard, and one of his wives died after an accident at a friend's party.

His memoirs always used to be in charity shops and were a good read (although it's many years since I've read them).
The Moons a balloon.

Reactions: 7
I was going to mention her. I liked her a lot and she always seemed to be in things during my childhood. I have a bit of a weakness for atrocious spin-off films of those kind of sit-coms and the George and Mildred one finds George Roper being mistaken for an international hitman, with predictable consequences....
I watched that film a couple of years ago on Talking Pictures channel. It was actually good and and the actor who played George Roper ( Brian something) was very funny. I heard that Yootha died early from alcoholism. Very sad.

I watched that film a couple of years ago on Talking Pictures channel. It was actually good and and the actor who played George Roper ( Brian something) was very funny. I heard that Yootha died early from alcoholism. Very sad.
Brian Murphy - still very much with us. Yes, Yootha's life in general seemed very sad - another one it would have been interesting to see in later years.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Dorothy Squires, an ex of Roger Moore, another sad life. My dad didn’t like RM because of the way he treated DS. I am not old enough to know much about DS. RM, as charming as he was, was a bit cavalier with his many wives affections. His autobiography sort of glossed over his less than charming traits.

Wasn't Dorothy Squires the auntie of George Clooney or have I misheard that 🤔

What about Pasty Rowlands, anyone? Fab as the Mayor's rebellious wife in Carry on Girls (another atrocious guilty pleasure of mine) and resentful secretary in Carry on At Your Convenience. I'd like to see some of her other stuff too though.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This thread could go on for years.

Peggy Mount. If I hear a female shouting loudly I always say she is giving it the full Peggy. A bit like a female Brian Blessed for voice loudness. She did a lot of work with Pat Coombs! Who was like a mouse!
Loved her,I use to take her off,holler at my husband in her voice.🤣 she spoke very posh didn’t she?

Another actress I loved was ‘little Lil’ in rag trade and carry on films,very funny lady in real life as well.

i think it may have been Hattie Jaques documentary ,where she was interviewed?was I right?

This thread could go on for years.

Peggy Mount. If I hear a female shouting loudly I always say she is giving it the full Peggy. A bit like a female Brian Blessed for voice loudness. She did a lot of work with Pat Coombs! Who was like a mouse!
When I was a tiny child I had a tendancy to SHOUT (I'm also quite deaf so it's unsurprising), my mum and dad always said I was like Peggy Mount. Can you recommend anything she's been in, I honestly don't think I've seen anything she's been in other than Oliver, and I can't remember Mrs Bumble in that?

Reactions: 3
When I was a tiny child I had a tendancy to SHOUT (I'm also quite deaf so it's unsurprising), my mum and dad always said I was like Peggy Mount. Can you recommend anything she's been in, I honestly don't think I've seen anything she's been in other than Oliver, and I can't remember Mrs Bumble in that?
wasn't she in a series where she was a detective type person?

Reactions: 2
Peggy was in a comedy series with Pat Coombs - You only live twice I think it was called? Set in a care home/residential home if memory serves.

Loved her,I use to take her off,holler at my husband in her voice.🤣 she spoke very posh didn’t she?

Another actress I loved was ‘little Lil’ in rag trade and carry on films,very funny lady in real life as well.

i think it may have been Hattie Jaques documentary ,where she was interviewed?was I right?
I still watch the Carry On films whenever I can. I just find them so relaxing and laugh out loud at all the jokes again and again. One of my favourites is Carry on Cabby with Hattie Jaques and Sid James. She plays the downtrodden wife who starts her own rival cab company. Early Feminism at work in the 60s 😁🥰

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17