Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
Carry On's Charles Hawtrey. Had Tattle been around in the 70s / 80s, he'd have generated enough material to fill 100 threads.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48

whybrows

I just popped on to say, it begins and ends with Margaret Rutherford for me 😊

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33

Serene Serena

VIP Member
Diana Dors, very famous, but probably not to a lot of people. She was a caricature character but I saw her in an old black and white movie Yield to the Night which was riveting.
The tragedy of her early demise from cancer, followed shortly by her husband's suicide, leaving their child an orphan. Jason Dors Lake himself died prematurely aged 50, alcohol and substance abuse were believed to be a factor.

If Diana had been a cancer survivor, how different everything could have been. She was a very talented, but underrated actress, and marketed as a budget Marilyn Monroe.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

House of Tea

VIP Member
Terence Stamp, David Hemings and Malcolm McDowell were not of my era, but I found them mesmerising when I saw their films.

Kate O Mara always fascinated me. She turned up on The Colbys and Triangle, but she was in a lot of Hammer Horror and similar as the Dolly bird. She always looked other worldly. I went and saw her in a matinee in a West End theatre when I lived in the area. I was wandering near the theatre an hour or so before the show and she was sitting at a table outside a cafe holding court with her admirers. This was late 90s, she would be approaching 60. She had an aura, old school starriness. I was sitting next to a couple of Americans in the audience and they said, oh my gawd, would you look at her bosom! She did have an amazing figure.

Reactions: 26

Mags44

I was going to add her earlier. She was so beautiful too.
And an interesting person. So many pre and post war British talent. I discovered her when she played the Queen Mother in the 2006 film The Queen.

I didn't know whether to mention David Niven but he is so under rated. Excellent comic timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
Looking at many previous comments and memories, there was that episode of Victoria Wood's 'Dinnerladies' when the staff had a 'Bring your parent' day. It was like a comedy masterclass. The 'parents' included Thora Hird, Dora Bryan, Eric Sykes and Elspet Grey. They were a hoot. I mean, there were also Thelma Barlow, Anne Reid, Duncan Preston, Julie Walters, Vic Wood herself and a young Maxine Peake. The other programme that used to showcase older, sometimes forgotten talent was 'Last of The Summer Wine', with it's varied permanent and guest actors. You could say it was the 'last saloon' of many an older, faded, actor but I love it and still watch repeats now. Didn't really discover it until after they'd finished filming in 2010. Most of the cast are gone now but many of the characters were iconic. I mean, where else would you find that Cato and Commandant Yamahuci from 'Tenko' becomes 'Entwistle, the wily electrician 'from the East' (Hull) in the form of Burt Kwouk?!:D I adored Burt Kwouk!
Victoria Wood what can I say - so talented and funny and a great actress. Anybody remember her in Housewife 49 ? Think it was 49 anyway. She passed away far too soon from cancer sadly. Yes I remember that iconic episode well 🤓

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Dusty was a one off. Shame she was up against Cilla Black, who considered herself THE British vocal female icon of the day. For me, Dusty wiped the floor with her. She studied all kinds of music and worked closely with the Motown and Soul legends. 'Discovered' her music after she was gone and was utterly fascinated with her. Read quite a bit about her. What a life and character! Was gutted she passed so relatively young.
Cilla is to Dusty what Kwik Save is to Waitrose.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
Dusty was such an inspirational person; taking a stand against apartheid South Africa years before it was a cause celebre; always championing black musicians both in the U.K. and US, at a time when that could have harmed her own career; completely reinventing herself in the 80s and finding a whole new audience.

It’s sad and frustrating she died when she did. She could conceivably have been around still today (I can defo see her smashing the Legends Slot at Glastonbury).

Side note, but I can’t believe she never got a Bond theme.

• Sad
Reactions: 19

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I don’t know if this celebrity is forgotten but I was reading this article on David Tomlinson (Mr Banks from Mary Poppins) and this little excerpt made me titter.
His favourite story was of an old landlady telling him of the kindness of her previous guest. “Do you know,” she explained, “that man went out on Saturday night, met a sailor who had nowhere to stay and let him share his bed.”

• Haha
Reactions: 18

House of Tea

VIP Member
Yes I have never read anything good about Rex Harrison, he seems to have been a thoroughly unpleasant man.

I was reading about Chili Bouchier lately. I'm always intrigued by 1930s cinema stars, she was a British actress back then. She had a bit of a renaissance in the 1990s appearing on tv as one of the "last silent stars" although I believe she exaggerated her own fame somewhat.

I also liked Margaret Lockwood in "The Vanishing Lady", which I watched recently. Another one from the time is Google Withers.
Boogie zithers, such a great name.

This was meant to be Googie Withers. Auto correct had other ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: 17

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
What about Pasty Rowlands, anyone? Fab as the Mayor's rebellious wife in Carry on Girls (another atrocious guilty pleasure of mine) and resentful secretary in Carry on At Your Convenience. I'd like to see some of her other stuff too though.

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
Are you sure? It worked for me. I'd never heard of Sabrina! Here's a clip.

Not sure why the Mail won’t open for me. It did the first time, but not since!!??

Diana Dors, very famous, but probably not to a lot of people. She was a caricature character but I saw her in an old black and white movie Yield to the Night which was riveting.

• Heart

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
Loved her,I use to take her off,holler at my husband in her voice.🤣 she spoke very posh didn’t she?

Another actress I loved was ‘little Lil’ in rag trade and carry on films,very funny lady in real life as well.

i think it may have been Hattie Jaques documentary ,where she was interviewed?was I right?
I still watch the Carry On films whenever I can. I just find them so relaxing and laugh out loud at all the jokes again and again. One of my favourites is Carry on Cabby with Hattie Jaques and Sid James. She plays the downtrodden wife who starts her own rival cab company. Early Feminism at work in the 60s 😁🥰

• Heart
  • Haha