Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
The plot device was based on a tragic incident in Gene Tierney's life.

I've always thought it was rather cruel of Christie to exploit it in her book.
Ahhh I actually thought i got it wrong I thought now was it Gene Tierney? Yes not nice was it?

Beautiful actress,played Estelle didn’t she in Great Expectations.

Also in later life in a Miss Marple Agatha Christie.Married at one time to Stewart Granger.
She also played Spartacus wife didn't she?

Reactions: 1

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I was watching a film called The Million Pound Note yesterday and thought Jane Griffiths was beautiful. She wasn’t in a lot in her career and I read she sadly died in 1975, only aged 45. Does anyone know what caused her death? Also the film is rather fun to watch. Totally bonkers haha!

DCI Jack Logan

Chatty Member
After her father died she found out she was pregnant and I thought, maybe naively, it would be a happy ending but she split up with her partner he got custody due to her mental health issues and is able to see her 3 days a week.
She had a romance with Gavin Rossdale and lost her virginity to him, the next morning he told her that his girlfriend was moving in later that day. She took an OD and went back to set the next day.
She was close to her father and her mother but they seemed to want different things for her - he wanted her to be academic whereas the mum wanted her to go to Cannes when she was meant to sit her O Levels. Sadly her mother died a few years ago and she says she ‘worries herself half-sick over whether the stress of her separation from Arabelle’s father hastened her mother’s death’.

Thank you for posting that article it’s very interesting 👍

House of Tea

VIP Member
More here…

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
I've loved reading this thread so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Alastair Sim. One of the greatest actors of his era and thoroughly nice man. Loved all his films but especially the St Trinians films.
Yes,me too very funny man.who was that English actor that went to Hollywood older gentleman,bloody hell me memory going to bits.

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
She's playing Jane. Tbh I'm finding the adaptation so-so and the visual quality is dreadful (film materials must have degraded). But Susannah is a good actress and the film is an interesting time capsule. Nyree Dawn Porter has just popped up too
I love Jane Eyre,older Tv versions are fabulous,when BBC was Brilliant Mrs B.Oh my Nyree,she died quite young didnt she?

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
Next Friday on Talking Pictures.

00.45am. The Beast in the Cellar. Stars Flora Robson, Beryl Reid and Tessa Wyatt. When soldiers in rural Lancashire keep being murdered, two middle-aged women fear the culprit might be their brother, who has been living in the cellar for 30 years. A real-life Cellar Dweller!
Can't wait for that!!

dorydaryl

Chatty Member
I knew a dancer who worked for Marie Ashton ( one of the Roly Polys, the tall dark haired one) and she mentioned that she had passed away about 10 years ago now. The others I don't know but everyone remembers little Mo 💓
Marie Ashton or little Mo passed away, Mrs Moon?:)

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
I do like her - a very underrated actress, in my view.

I hope a number of the Play for Today series (and similar) will come to the streaming services such as Britbox. They'll never be shown on terrestrial again and it would be great to see them again and spot stars in much earlier roles.
I find many things are on youtube. or other streaming services. I have Kodi and Stremio I know Kodi is very good for old films and series Stremio not so much.

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
It's brilliant, Dolly and Mrs Moon, you'll really enjoy it. Also look out for one called Psychomania - Beryl plays the mother of a biker ( who's quite easy on the eye) who dies - the scene where she visits his grave and suddenly a ghostly vision on a motorbike rears out of the earth will stay with you forever, in a cheesy non -scary way !
Sounds spookily good 🥶 How did I miss this one I wonder !

Pipsy

VIP Member
"Sylvia died early this morning at Denville Hall, a care home in London for those in the entertainment industry."

Never heard of such a thing before. Wouldn't have thought it legal.