Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
Awwww Thanks Lucy,another idea to get a book.☺

I remember the film where she starred as Queen Elizabeth 1st.

Good grief,Looks like your book is worth something,price of it.🥴That’s on Amazon

cheaper copies on Abe Books.
Some quite old books are really pricey on there, I picked it up in a charity shop a few years ago.

Has anyone read Noel Coward's diaries?
Oh those sound interesting, packed with all manner of people, I bet. NC doesn't come across well in that snippet.

Reactions: 1

shellie

VIP Member
I put this on the secret celeb gossip thread, but probably more of interest here.

If you are ancient you will remember Arthur Mullard. I am reading Miriam Margolyes autobiography and she mentions she was in a stage show with him, she didn’t like him and he was always pestering her to perform a sex act on him. She mentioned something about his family life which I looked up. He was horrific, not the comedy figure you would think.
I'm too young to remember him on any show but I do remember the god-awful cover of You're The One That I Want that he did with Hilda Baker in the 70s. It's usually featured on the 'Most Shocking TV Moments' programs we get every few months.

There have been stories about quite a few actors from that period being accused of things. John Inman (Mr. Humphries from Are You Being Served) was accused of assaulting a teenager in the 70s. The police looked into it but as he was dead, so much time passed and there was no proof, the case was dropped. Wilfred Brambell (Albert Steptoe) was also accused. I have no idea if they were guilty or not but one person who has got me side-eying him is David Jason who freely admitted in an interview he got an award on the set of Only Fools because he had wandering hands and bragged about women knowing not to bend down in front of him...men weren't exempt either.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I also think adding in an Asian or a black actress into a role where it clearly was not meant to be an actor of that ethnicity (period pieces) is jarring too. It takes you out of the story and into the casting directors mind. What will happen now is someone will say I am being racist etc, which is fine if they want to. Have no issue with using anyone of any background into any role, but only if it fits. If a white person turned up playing what you would think of as an Asian or black role, it would be the same. It stops you being fully absorbed in the story because the casting is an anachronism.
See I think I’m in the minority here because this I don’t mind unless they are doing a documentary (like claiming Cleopatra was black). But then again if a very obvious transgender person was playing a character I would find that very hard to watch and engage with. I guess we all have our own preferences!

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
That one was excellent, I do love Patricia Routledge.

Yes, there's a drama that really bears repetition. A very poignant tale of a woman who is largely unlistened-to, apart from her reports. The relationship with her son is beautifully portrayed, even though it is difficult. She has no idea how to even grasp the concept of his relationship and loss (and there was no particular reason for her to do so). Just beautifully written and handled.
These sound good, I'm going to watch them

Reverend

VIP Member
She was on Doctor Who as well? I Googled to be sure she was who I thought she was. I thought she very attractive when younger, though I was a child at the time of seeing her on TV.
She played The Rani (another Timelord) in Doctor Who, and was gearing up for a return on the audio adventures when she fell very ill and passed away.

However before she had died, she had told the producers to go ahead with a new Rani.

Harking back to Diana Dors and Alan Lee, this article is news to me. I wonder if it is true.
I only know of Leapy Lee because of the hit song but I have a vague memory of him appearing in some programme (possibly a holiday one) with Nadia Swahala (spelling).

Honeytheonions

Chatty Member
Terence Stamp, David Hemings and Malcolm McDowell were not of my era, but I found them mesmerising when I saw their films.

Kate O Mara always fascinated me. She turned up on The Colbys and Triangle, but she was in a lot of Hammer Horror and similar as the Dolly bird. She always looked other worldly. I went and saw her in a matinee in a West End theatre when I lived in the area. I was wandering near the theatre an hour or so before the show and she was sitting at a table outside a cafe holding court with her admirers. This was late 90s, she would be approaching 60. She had an aura, old school starriness. I was sitting next to a couple of Americans in the audience and they said, oh my gawd, would you look at her bosom! She did have an amazing figure.
She was on Doctor Who as well? I Googled to be sure she was who I thought she was. I thought she very attractive when younger, though I was a child at the time of seeing her on TV.